Search the Site:
Follow Us:

View Poll Results: How many tandem bicycle rides would you take to see this episode again?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • 10 (best)

1 3.45%

1 3.45%

4 13.79%

10 34.48%

4 13.79%

2 6.90%

2 6.90%

3 10.34%

0 0%
  • 1 (worst)

2 6.90%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    SirLemming is offline a playa in a world of NPCs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Simpsons "Marge's Son Poisoning" talkback (SPOILERS)

Like This Thread!

Welcome to the first regular episode of The Simpsons since September!

Another new episode makes its way to screens across North America tonight, this one's titled Marge's Son Poisoning. Bart sees that Marge is lonely so he offers to spend more time with her, going on tandem bicycle rides and redecorating the treehouse as a "teahouse", until bullies from school find out and accuse Bart of being a "mama's boy". When Marge learns of this, she gives him the necessary tools to win back his reputation. Meanwhile, Homer joins Moe in a professional arm-wrestling circuit. Be sure to catch the episode airing at 8pm tonight on Fox.

All I know is that every single description of this episode has mentioned a tandem bicycle, so if there is no tandem bicycle in the episode I will be very disappointed.

Like seriously. People must have just seen this one clip in production of Marge and Bart riding a tandem bicycle, and it was the all they talked about for like 6 months.
    THE CASTLE OF SIR LEMMING
    THIS MONTH'S UPDATE: Christmas Countdown! 25 Christmas songs of interest.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Okay, that couch gag pwn3d.

MJC
    MJC is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Pretty weak episode. The Homer arm wrestling thing was pretty good, but the main plot almost put me to sleep.
    The world's 225 richest people now have a combined wealth of $1 trillion. That's equal to the combined annual income of the world's 2.5 billion poorest people.

Something to think about.

Juu-kuchi is offline Everypony's Starry-Eyed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Much <3 on the couch gag.

But the episode is actually not too bad as the main plot remains cohesive and in tune with the characters. Even the subplot worked well and wasn't obtrusive at all.

Not too shabby really. The first really solid episode of the season.

and2 is offline AMIIIIGOOOOO, oh Amigooooo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This episode passed really fast.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I loved when Marge yelled "STOP THE SHOWCASE!" and the audience remained completely disinterested.
    In fact I liked a lot about the karaoke scene for some reason. Good use of Apu. I'm not sure why. It just felt right.

I do hate that they keep using the line "I didn't say stop!" I just don't get what the point is of re-using lines that way. But they seem to like doing it now.

So overall, it wasn't bad. Homer's subplot really went nowhere, but it could've been worse. A relatively satisfying half-hour. It was something new.

CyberCubed is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I liked this episode a lot. It started off slow, but it picked up steam fast. Lots of funny gags in this one, and I love the Homer/Moe schemes. We haven't seen one of those in a while.

Pretty good episode overall, the plot actually made sense.

Sam Hill is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I can't stand to see what's happening to the Simpsons. Enough is enough. END THE DAMN THING!

and2 is offline AMIIIIGOOOOO, oh Amigooooo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I would have liked for the homer side story to have gotten a little bit more time. Overall solid episode, I liked the naive Seymore near the end.

7/10

Fone Bone is offline Bonehead
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Predictability can be a VERY good thing which is something the writers of The Simpsons should keep in mind more often. I am one of the few people who generally enjoys the later seasons for the mindless fluff they are but one of the most frustrating things about the recent seasons (particularly the Al Jean years) is that often a cohesive plot set up in the first and second act falls apart at the end for some random bizarreness that not only doesn't really make sense but is more often than not contrary to the nature of the episode. I LOVED the first two parts of Jaws Wired Shut and Left Below but the endings were rushed, zany for the sake of zany and unfunny. Sadly this seems to be a trend with the newer episodes.

Imagine my delight that this episode actually had a straight ending! It was funny enough but for me that seems besides the point. The story ended up right where it logically should have. Some people may consider that formulaic but really that's what most of the episodes from the first eight seasons did. I think The Simpsons writers are such big fans of unpredictability that they forget that a story should NOT go to certain places, especially when it makes the entire episode pointless. I loved this episode for not doing that.

It was pretty dang funny too. I love how complex Bart's conflicting natures of loving Marge more than life itself and being a total bastard are shown this episode. He's a sweet kid and at the same time a nasty one and it I found the bullies taunts and his reactions pretty funny.

Homer's subplot was good too. For some reason I have always loved grifts and scams on The Simpsons and this was no exception. I found it hilarious that the first prize for the arm-wrestling championship was $50 and the entrance fee was $60! I was laughing pretty hard at that.

Yeah, this was a really good episode. Just because I like the newer episodes in general doesn't mean I can't recognize their flaws. And this episode had a major shortage of them. ****1/2.

And is it just me or are the later seasons couch gags a million times funnier and creative than some of the earlier seasons?
    Matt Zimmer!
    "I'm not Smiley! I'm a real cow! Moo! Think I'll chew me some cud!"-- Smiley Bone a.k.a. the Mystery Cow in Bone: The Great Cow Race.
    "I knew we made a mistake the minute I saw that little bologna loaf in the hospital bassinet," Calvin's Dad from Calvin and Hobbes.

simpspin is offline Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fone Bone
    And is it just me or are the later seasons couch gags a million times funnier and creative than some of the earlier seasons?
    And a million times longer.

MY REVIEW: Good, but not great. The couch gag was one of the few moments I didn't know if it was good thing or a bad thing and Homer's sub-plot was pointless. Otherwise, the scenes with Marge and Bart were actually some of the better moments in the past 7 seasons.

GRADE: C+ / B-

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The couch gag was good it it feels like it belonged on last weeks episode then todays.

90'sCartoonMan is offline Punch Drunk Flounder
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SirLemming
    I do hate that they keep using the line "I didn't say stop!" I just don't get what the point is of re-using lines that way. But they seem to like doing it now.
    I'm more bothered by the "I'm going to dial 9-1" line, this is what, the third time they've used it?

The plot was surprisingly well handled, and no one came off looking like a jerk (even when Bart told Marge to shut up, it wasn't that bad).

This episode didn't get a lot of laughs out of me, though. I liked the use of songs at the end and Homer being a nerd, but other than that, I can't really think of anything (booger wall = GROSS!)
    "And until we meet again boys and girls, know that wherever evil lurks in all its myriad forms, I'll be there with the hammers of justice to fight for decency and defend the innocent. Goodnight." - Batman

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 90'sCartoonMan
    I'm more bothered by the "I'm going to dial 9-1" line, this is what, the third time they've used it?
    I really don't remember it at all...

Oh wait, now I remember it once from some really old episode. What was that? I think it was an old lady.

ToOn~g@l is offline Just singin' the blues
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Great couch gag, it was longer than usual but change can be good sometimes.

This episode was actuallly really good. I liked the idea of a mother son bond even though it did not last long. And it ended better than these later seasons, it didn't end suddenly with a very quick fix. I also loved the song Jimbo, Dolph and Kerney sang.

I give it a B+

Classic Speedy is offline It's not Regis!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SirLemming
    Oh wait, now I remember it once from some really old episode. What was that? I think it was an old lady.
    It's from "Bart Sells His Soul"- Milhouse's grandma says it. Actually my favorite line from that scene is Kirk: "Ehhh Milhouse, give him back his soul, I've got work tomorrow!"

Sam Hill is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I can't for the life of me figure out why this episode is getting so much praise. I thought it was awful. Someone explain to me how Bart eating rat feces or Skinner rubbing cream in his mother's eye is supposed to be funny or even slightly amusing. Are these bits supposed to be humorous simply because they're disgusting?

The plot was pretty pathetic too. Compare this half-assed story to the Bart-Marge relationship in "Marge Be Not Proud", an episode that aired almost a decade ago. I didn't feel any of the emotions I felt from that episode. I did feel a bad taste in my mouth afterwards though. The Simpsons have now made me hate "My Sharona" and I used to like that song.

The attitude of the writers pisses me off. They act like we owe them something for all the great years of the show when if anything they owe us. Who has kept them on the air all these years? We shouldn't have to settle for these crap stories.

I'm not some disgruntled fan of the early days of the show. I enjoyed Seasons 9-11 despite many of the hardcore fans hating them. But the last few seasons have changed my perspective and I agree that they're truly awful.

I give up on the Simpsons. Tonight's episode is the straw that broke the camel's back. I had retained hope for many years that it would return to it's glory days but that hope was completely obliterated tonight. For as long as the show continues to air I will never watch another episode.

Losing one fan won't make a difference of course. I just hope one day the viewers demand better than this. We don't deserve this.

I grew up with the Simpsons and I just can't continue to see it defiled like this. With a heavy heart, I say goodbye to OFF.

Peter Paltridge is online now Thank God he wore trunks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I'm only posting here because I DID get a laugh from this episode--at Apu trying to sing Where Have All the Cowboys Gone. "Doo doo-doot! Doo doo-doot! Doo doo-doot! Doo doo-doot!" I wish all the karaoke had been as funny. Why didn't they do some experimenting--matching the right Springfieldianite with JUST the wrong song every time would have been great. When Dolph, Jimbo and Kearney mentioned they were going to sing "My Sharona," I was really hoping they would not actually do it. There's nothing funny about that--they could have sung Disco Duck or something.
    Visit my website! It's comfy and easy to wear!
    www.platypuscomix.net
    THIS WEEK: This week Winnie and Gene crash Hollywood in Part 1 of a brand-new Free Spirit!

Jyose is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Man, when Bart went on about his "booger wall" I almost changed the channel(maybe it wasn't as bad as it sounded, I just don't like anything that comes from the nose). This Episode was good, really, good but not Simpsons quality, maybe "Billy and Mandy" quality or "Johnny Bravo".

Homer taking a back seat was a welcome suprise too, a little too many flip flopping opinions on Marge's side though, and Lisa wasn't even here.

Best Couch joke ever.
    Doom

candy17 is offline Black, White, and Amorous
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This Is The End...Not For OFF

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Hill
    I can't stand to see what's happening to the Simpsons. Enough is enough. END THE DAMN THING!
    That's why I stopped watching after season 13. I know I've said that seasons 3-10 were the only worthwhile seasons of The Simpsons, but there are some episodes in 11, 12, and 13 that are good, even if they do suck a little.

The current ones are just a grim reminder that this show never cared about being smart or witty or satirical; it was just out to make some nerds a buttload of cash.

Oh, well...as long as South Park and Family Guy don't stoop to this level, there is hope for me.
    People may not appreciate my non-stop swearing and farting, but I'm not going to give up on this South Park Diet until I start seeing some results!--Brian Simaneck

Book-burning is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to think of it as "English lit."--Larry Hollister

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast