Search the Site:
Follow Us:

View Poll Results: How many feet under was this episode?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 (best)

6 19.35%

3 9.68%

8 25.81%

2 6.45%

5 16.13%

0 0%

2 6.45%

3 9.68%

0 0%
  • 10 (worst)

2 6.45%
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    SirLemming is offline a playa in a world of NPCs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Simpsons "The Girl Who Slept Too Little" talkback (SPOILERS)

Like This Thread!

Season 17 continues with another new episode titled The Girl Who Slept Too Little. This episode was originally due to air as the Season 16 finale but was postponed due to the rescheduling of The Father, The Son & The Holy Guest Star. The Simpsons protest the construction of a stamp museum next to their home and successfully have it relocated to a cemetery lot, but are dismayed to see the old cemetery moving next door. Lisa soon finds herself suffering fright-induced sleepless nights and runs to her parents' bed. Homer and Marge attempt spending a night in Lisa's room to convince her that it's safe, but are quickly scared away. They turn to a psychiatrist for advice, but Lisa decides to face her fears alone one night in the cemetery, with dramatic results." Don't miss all the action at 8pm tonight.
    Has some potential.

FUN FACT: I think this is at least the third Simpsons episode title to parody "The Man Who Knew Too Much".
    THE CASTLE OF SIR LEMMING
    THIS MONTH'S UPDATE: Christmas Countdown! 25 Christmas songs of interest.

Killtacular is offline the race wars had begun
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Episode really does not live up to the potential of its story, but John Frink is one of THE WORST Simpsons writers, so I'm not surprised.

What's sad is it started funny up until the montage. I thought Homer saying "STAMPS RULE!" was delivered really well and timed just right, as well as "WHAT MAN WOULD WANT YOU NOW?". After that it's been misfire after misfire. Really the only FUNNY moments happened in the first act. I don't know what they're attempting with the second and third acts. Took so long to really get to the final conflict what with the stamp museum detour.

That "Land of the Wild Feasts" ad was absolutely atrocious. How on earth did John think that was funny? The whole dream sequence had SOMEWHAT interesting storyboarding (why can't the entire show?) but ran on, again, for WAAAYYY TOO LONG. What was the point of the cops being there if the grave robber sequence never really panned out?

In the hands of a more competent director this could have all been sorted out. It would have made more sense to get Lisa trapped in the graveyard at the middle of the second half rather than at the cliffhanger, then thrust her into real danger. Or just cut out the STUPID crap that should never have left the writers room.

DarthGonzo is offline Ten Years on TZ!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Djm912 is offline GREETINGS, GENTLEVIEWERS!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I don't think I laughed, but I was mildy amused by the whole premise.

Did Maggie get the Judie Winslow treatment in this episode or what?

PowerZord is offline It's time to change.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It was good, of course not as good as it was the past seasons, but hey I laughed out loud in some moments.

I voted a "3" not the best episode, but good.

Scythemantis is offline With Soar-Throat Ghost
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Most of the episode wasn't funny, true, but I enjoyed the story and visuals. It felt like an early softcore halloween special, and at just the right time of the season. In fact, I bet it'll probably go down as more enjoyable than whatever ridiculous nonsense this year's Treehouse (if they will indeed do one) ends up being. I also found this episode to be no more contrived/surreal than those from earlier seasons.

Gravedigger Billie wasn't funny, but his concept was. Dr. Nick being creepy as hell was what got a laugh out of me, and I kinda liked the slug millhouse. I guess I'm just weird.
    Webmaster of Bogleech.com

Hatter is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I thought it was one of the better episodes in a while. The graveyard plot had a more "Halloween special" feel than the last dozen Treehouse of Horror specials. No real gross-out gags, just some decent character-based ones.

MajorTom is offline DI-AH-PERS!!!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I thought this was really good. I laughed at a lot of the jokes, I thought the story was good, and everything wrapped up nicely.
    I liked the Dr. Nick scene, the scene with the writer of that Where the Wild Things Are parody, and, suprisingly, most of Homer's dialogue.

Killtacular is offline the race wars had begun
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Also they really missed out on an opportunity to spoof their own Treehouse of Horror specials. They could have done a truck with that exact music. Would have been perfect.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It wasn't bad, but it was weird. Rather than the bafflingly awful gags of season 13, it had moments that were simply head-scratching. Mostly this amounted to the "Where the Wild Things Are" references that sort of came out of nowhere and went nowhere, but stayed there for a long time. It was confusing. I'm glad they weren't trying to overflow these sequences with gags, but they seemed purposeless.

I agree that the first act had the best stuff in it. Even the very uncharacteristic "bull[bleep]" line was uncharacteristic in a way that was funny.

So uh... I dunno. It was weird.

Golgo13 is offline Sup?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I found it pretty amusing when Homer makes his escape while knocking down stuff and threatening to light it on fire. I also found the Chief dancing naked to his walkman mildly amusing. Other than that, it's pretty flat as most of the episodes have been. I liked the parody on the Wild Things though and how the illustrator started working on it after being banned from doing Playboy cartoons.

Classic Speedy is offline It's not Regis!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    This whole episode had a strange comic timing that made the delivery of every joke seem REALLY off. Honestly, I don't know how else to describe it. Even the arguably funniest joke in the episode (dealing with the Playboy illustrator-turned children's author) just seemed awkwardly staged.

simpspin is offline Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'll be the rebel and give this GOOD review:

Good episode! I actually LOL'd for a bunch of the scenes, especially Bart's Zombie explanation and Homer's "Cosistancy". However, this episode had the little touches that made it great, like the Remote controlled helicopter and Lisa's dream sequence.

4/5 (B+)

This makes up for lasts weeks boring-as-white bread fest.

Dee
    Dee is offline What?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I laughed really hard at the 'brakes are out on Bart's racecar bed' joke. I found the episode to be pretty funny and I really liked it.

That-- and Millhouse as a slug is realllly gross.

Underdunkt is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Wilson
    Episode really does not live up to the potential of its story, but John Frink is one of THE WORST Simpsons writers, so I'm not surprised.

That "Land of the Wild Feasts" ad was absolutely atrocious. How on earth did John think that was funny? The whole dream sequence had SOMEWHAT interesting storyboarding (why can't the entire show?) but ran on, again, for WAAAYYY TOO LONG. What was the point of the cops being there if the grave robber sequence never really panned out?
    You know what...I'm sorry but....shut up. If you didn't like the episode, fine, okay, go watch a Seth McFarlane cartoon and pretend that's any better in it's writing or animation (by the way, it's ironic you would actually manage to complain about an episode with as fantastic direction as this one, considering you like a little show called "Family Guy" that has some of the most unimaginative direction this side of Hanna Barbara). But for crying out loud, don't personally insult John Frink's writing on a team written show. How do you know Frink liked the "Wild Beasts" ad, or any of the other things you complained about, any more then you? The answer: you don't. Despite how often you directly cite -and insult- the writers on this show, you seem to have absolutely no idea how it's written. And until you've visited the show's studio and interviewed the writers about who wrote each joke you didn't like, you have absolutely no right to directly insult a given writer.

Anyway....rant over. Here's my review from another board.

Really enjoyable I thought. May have to give it an extra viewing, but it was really solid and funny, and the best Lisa episode in some time, probably since "Little Girl in the Big Ten". The story was well handled and paced despite everything going on (I was concerned about how much time the stamp-museum/graveyard being built thing would take, but it went by quickly while also making sense). Good simple and relateable Lisa story, with lot's of great lines. "When mommies and daddies have been married for a long time and have run out of anything else to talk about, they badmouth their closest friends!", "I started when Playboy wouldn't publish my cartoons because they were too dirty!", the Dr. Nick scene, etc.

I also noticed notably good animation and direction....not just in the dream sequence either, through the whole show. Really excellent acting and staging, use of angles, etc. I don't quite remember the director's name, but I think it was a new guy. Hopefully they keep him around for a long time.

Anyway, final grade possibly pending, but for now probably a B+.

Quagmire is offline allllright!!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I actually enjoyed this episode. One of the better ones in recent years.

Lots of laugh out loud moments, especially in the first act, and some more in the second act.

Nice Lisa episode where she isn't a brainy know-it-all, but rather an 8 year old girl.

7/10.
    Does this look like a "Q" to you?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Underdunkt, you're getting way too upset over a relatively non-inflammatory review.

And I hardly see why it's so unfair to blame the badness of the episode on the guy who took writing credit for it. It's pretty reasonable if you ask me.

Thirdly... you might want to read Matt Wilson's review of tonight's Family Guy episode.

90'sCartoonMan is offline Punch Drunk Flounder
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I gave this episode a 5 because it was average. There wasn't anything seriously annoying about it (except that we'll never see the graveyard again, but I'm used to that), and it had some good laughs - Psychiatric Road, Wiggum, and I liked Gravedigger Billy because he had a cool name. And those "Where The Wild Things Are" monsters reminded me of Lrr and Nd-Nd from Futurama.
    "And until we meet again boys and girls, know that wherever evil lurks in all its myriad forms, I'll be there with the hammers of justice to fight for decency and defend the innocent. Goodnight." - Batman

Fone Bone is offline Bonehead
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The Gumby couch gag had to be one of my favorites in the shows history.

I thought this was a cute episode. Lisa was adorable. The animation was great and there were a LOT of funny jokes (especially the Maurice Sendak stand-in being too filthy for Playboy). I like sweet episodes like this and I wish they would do more of them. The timing didn't seem off to me, but then again, I'm not an expert on these things.

This was a nice little episode. Grade: ****.
    Matt Zimmer!
    "I'm not Smiley! I'm a real cow! Moo! Think I'll chew me some cud!"-- Smiley Bone a.k.a. the Mystery Cow in Bone: The Great Cow Race.
    "I knew we made a mistake the minute I saw that little bologna loaf in the hospital bassinet," Calvin's Dad from Calvin and Hobbes.

Underdunkt is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SirLemming
    Underdunkt, you're getting way too upset over a relatively non-inflammatory review.

And I hardly see why it's so unfair to blame the badness of the episode on the guy who took writing credit for it. It's pretty reasonable if you ask me.
    No it isn't...not for someone like Matt, who clearly has invested a lot of time into finding out who writes and creates this show. For someone who had no clue about that stuff, it would simply be uninformed, and excusable. But for someone like him, it really shows a profound lack of understanding that this is a team written show, for which the writing credit frequently means very, very little (in some, probably many cases, the credited writer could have come up with four lines total.) I'm frustrated with Matt because he's pretty much always like this from what I've seen, personally insult writers he knows absolutely nothing about, not even their writing style. He can seemingly list every current writer off the top of his head, so why does he not understand anything about the way this show is produced? Or, for that matter, just about anything about it at all?

It's a frustration I have with a lot of people....but I find it much less excusable when it comes from people that clearly should know better. And there's a point where reviews that are simply inflammatory or nasty cross over into being intentionally hateful towards someone that none of us know anything about, beyond his name

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast