Search the Site:
Follow Us:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Killtacular is offline the race wars had begun
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Animation Domination: The Simpsons - "Don't Fear the Roofer" (Spoilers)

Like This Thread!

Winding down to the season finale (next week), FOX is just gonna run back to back Simpsons premieres. Don't know why. They'd get more mileage airing a premiere followed by a rerun, but I don't make the decisions here.

TONIGHT'S EPISODE (1 of 2):

Homer befriends a roofer (voiced by Ray Romano) whom Marge thinks is imaginary.

Here are the rules for Animation Domination talkbacks:

- NO POLITICAL TALK. You can discuss the events in the episode, but the first sign of a debate over political issues will likely be targetted by the mods and dealt with. I'm not changing this rule. DEAL WITH IT.

- The same goes for senseless bashing. Negative opinions are perfectly fine (I relish in them) but if you think you can just walk into a thread and say "Why does anyone watch the Simpsons it's gay and those people are gay" (you'd probably get severely warned for this) then you can forget it. Spare it for one of the millions of "What do you think of The Simpsons" threads that have been posted here long before you registered, and long after you leave this site. And long after this site crumbles to the ground. Robots will generate discussion when mankind falls.

- I am probably not going to talk in these talkbacks. Noone wants to hear my opinion. So I'll just say this now: Family Guy is funny right off the bat, I hear American Dad takes a few episodes to get off the ground, and The Simpsons................................ yeah, par for the course. I know better than to discuss THAT again.

Yash is offline dr. yashouzeke "loser" asakura
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Didn't like the first act. Frink's Bill Cosby explanation didn't make me laugh, some other fall-flat jokes were there (Bart WANTING to go to college?), yeah...

Act 2 made me laugh in some parts. The angry-Marge painting on the side, the cellphone ad joke, and Homer falling off the roof, I found funny.

CyberCubed is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Ha ha, this was a great episode.

One of the best ones in years.

SirLemming is offline a playa in a world of NPCs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Solid first act. The leaky roof antics played out better than I expected. But that's more of a "not bad" thing than a positive good. "HOMER + BEER = PRESIDENT", however... Magnifique!

I'm not sure how I feel about Santa's Little Helper getting senior citizen-ized (or Lisa), seemed a little weird. But the punchline with the old guys talking was funny. "We've had that dog for as long as I can remember." "What dog?" "Who the hell are you?" "I wish I knew..."
    Also funny was Homer dancing on the roof and then falling off.
    The plot seems to be holding up pretty well so far.

"Whoa, my subconscious is a genius!"
    Well... at the end I'd say the whole was less than the sum of its parts. The plot didn't really get lost, there were good gags, no really bad gags... yet something was definitely missing.
    THE CASTLE OF SIR LEMMING
    THIS MONTH'S UPDATE: Christmas Countdown! 25 Christmas songs of interest.

Juu-kuchi is offline Everypony's Starry-Eyed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Didn't like the beginning, too mean-sprited. But then the middle and end worked well enough. Ray's guest character actually worked well. Despite not watching his show, he's a likeable guy.

Kenshin5000 is offline It > 9,000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    That Stephen Hawking explanation at the end owned.

A suprisingly good episode, but I think we may be let down by the next one: Bart has a heart attack? Seriously.

Eddie G. is offline Former Wolf/Writer.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The overall episode was average, but there were some really funny moments like the old Jewish guy and Grandpa's memory loss bit.

Shark is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Average episode. Enjoyed the Hot Wheels track gag, though.

Dark Fact is offline Preaching evil since '04
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Stephen Hawking made that explanation so factual. If it is fact, I'll be really frightened!
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Highwind
    "FULLMETAL ALCHEMIST--Here comes a new challenger, we're gonna get one hell of a show! Which one of these fighters will walk away a champion?!"

Lehteb is offline Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Wilson
    Here are the rules for Animation Domination talkbacks:

- NO POLITICAL TALK. You can discuss the events in the episode, but the first sign of a debate over political issues will likely be targetted by the mods and dealt with. I'm not changing this rule. DEAL WITH IT.

- The same goes for senseless bashing. Negative opinions are perfectly fine (I relish in them) but if you think you can just walk into a thread and say "Why does anyone watch the Simpsons it's gay and those people are gay" (you'd probably get severely warned for this) then you can forget it. Spare it for one of the millions of "What do you think of The Simpsons" threads that have been posted here long before you registered, and long after you leave this site. And long after this site crumbles to the ground. Robots will generate discussion when mankind falls.

- I am probably not going to talk in these talkbacks. Noone wants to hear my opinion. So I'll just say this now: Family Guy is funny right off the bat, I hear American Dad takes a few episodes to get off the ground, and The Simpsons................................ yeah, par for the course. I know better than to discuss THAT again.
    This is why I hardly come here anymore.

Sayonara, suckers!

Frank is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    An okay episode. The scene with Kent Brockman out in the rain talking to Prof. Frink and Krusty was great, though.B-

Luna is offline Daydreamer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I thought it was pretty good...there were some good Homer lines...

"Lousy,Homer-hating family...."

"Wow,someone who doesn't know what a selfish pig I am..."

"Whoa,my subconcious is a genius"

I also liked the Hot Wheels "waterslide",the nailgun fight between Homer and Ray,and the explanation as to why noone could see Ray but Homer...
    "Yeah,well,I've got a dream too.But it's about singing and dancing and making people happy.That's the kind of dream that gets better the more people you share it with.And well,I've found a whole bunch of friends who have the same dream.And it kind of makes us like a family." -Kermit the Frog (The Muppet Movie)

Master Moron is offline Forum Elder
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    That was a damn funny episode. Definitely the better of the two episodes tonight. I think my favorite part was the dialogue between Dr. Hibert and Homer"

Hibert:That was rubber and vaseline!"
    Homer:Marge, write that down so we can make it at home."

Though, I'm curious how water can flow upside down on the hotwheels track...

Did anyone else notice that originally Bart approached Homer from the left side when he was talking to Ray but in the flashback Bart approached Homer from the right?

Oh, before I forget, what was Homer's recipe for cola? I didn't catch it.

simpspin is offline Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Another: 'Homer teams up with someone (usually voiced by a famous guest star) and does something stupid'. After the 10th season, if you've seen these, you've seen them all. Bleh.

The only segments that made me laugh: the "Knockers" bar (because I ate at Hooters yesterday) and the playful banter over the end credits. Otherwise, I'm baffled at the praise this episode is recieving. (Does everyone TRULY love Ray...mond?)

Grade: C-/D+

Buddy Lee is offline Hollywood pitchman
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I liked the episode up until the very end. I thought it was a better twist for Ray Mancini to have been an imaginary friend that Homer came up with during a very stressful time in his life.

Highlights:

The inappopriate song that came over the jukebox to be their new friends' theme song

Hot Wheels race track scene

Homer sitting on Lenny's "barstool" cake
    "Can't Bust 'Em" Lee Dungarees

Bart: Why do we need Church shoes? Jesus wore sandals
    Homer: Maybe if he had better arch support, they wouldn't have caught him

Proto DUDE is offline The Fonz
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Moron
    Oh, before I forget, what was Homer's recipe for cola? I didn't catch it.
    I think it was something like

Water
    Sugar
    Bubbles
    + ?

This episode was very funny. Ray Romano is one of their better guest stars. Stephen Hawking is also funny, too.
    "Are you man enough to fight me?" ~ Super Street Fighter II's Guile, after he just beat up Cammy

HomeMoviesFan is offline I have a nemesis!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Wow...this was good. Especially the end credits, defintely that...

bluedeucedodge is offline Went out on Top
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah I have to agree that Homer and Ray's dialog during the credits was great. It was a pretty decent episode overall, and I love how they got Dr. Hibbert to fix Homer's roof for the needless shock therapy. Definately better than the second ep.
    "This Stewart guy, man I'm gonna tell you, I don't know what's going on there. He's coming down the back straightaway with his finger out the window and just giving me the bird all the way down the straightaway after he run me through the fence. I'd like to take that finger and jam it right up his rear end, I'll tell you cuz he's messing with the wrong guy with that mouth right now." - Rusty Wallace

Fone Bone is offline Bonehead
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Kind of a depressing episode but the more I think about it, the more I liked it. So I'll go with the cool kids on this one.

It was the little things in this episode that were good as the story was kind of ho-hum. Stephen Hawkkings explaination at the end WAS awesome and I DID love Homer and Ray's talk over the end credits.

By the way, electroshock therapy causes MAJOR headaches and short term memory loss. But I guess as a gag those wouldn't be too funny.

I thought it was good. ****.
    Matt Zimmer!
    "I'm not Smiley! I'm a real cow! Moo! Think I'll chew me some cud!"-- Smiley Bone a.k.a. the Mystery Cow in Bone: The Great Cow Race.
    "I knew we made a mistake the minute I saw that little bologna loaf in the hospital bassinet," Calvin's Dad from Calvin and Hobbes.

Lord Dalek is offline Uncreative Hack
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast