Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
    Killtacular is offline the race wars had begun
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Animation Domination: American Dad - #1AJN02 - "Threat Levels" (Spoilers)

Like This Thread!
    American Dad is back and approximately 6 people will be glued to their seats, absolutely rivited.

TONIGHT'S EPISODE:

Francine finds her calling when she becomes a real-estate agent and begins to make more money than Stan, leading an envious Stan to retaliate.

Here are the rules for Animation Domination talkbacks:

- NO POLITICAL TALK. You can discuss the events in the episode, but the first sign of a debate over political issues will likely be targetted by the mods and dealt with. I'm not changing this rule. DEAL WITH IT. I -may- stretch this to include religious issues as well, especially for tonight's FG (you'll see). We'll see how it goes.

- The same goes for senseless bashing. Negative opinions are perfectly fine (I relish in them) but if you think you can just walk into a thread and say "American Dad is just a rip-off of Family Guy, F-----" (which is false and that is fact) then you can forget it. Spare it for one of the millions of "What do you think of American Dad" threads that have been posted here long before you registered, and long after you leave this site. And long after this site crumbles to the ground. Robots will generate discussion when mankind falls.

- I am probably not going to talk in these talkbacks. Noone wants to hear my opinion. So I'll just say this now: Family Guy is funny right off the bat, I hear American Dad takes a few episodes to get off the ground, and The Simpsons................................ yeah, par for the course. I know better than to discuss THAT again.

Wanted is offline Toonmaster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

2800 - One more step before I take over THIS NETWORK

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Wilson
    American Dad is back and approximately 6 people will be glued to their seats, absolutely rivited.
    Oh, yeah, you're right. More people will be watching Desperate Housewives.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattie W.
    Negative opinions are perfectly fine (I relish in them)
    How about negative opinons toward others' posts? 'Cause I do that pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Wilson the Birthday Boy
    Spare it for one of the millions of "What do you think of American Dad" threads that have been posted here long before you registered, and long after you leave this site. And long after this site crumbles to the ground. Robots will generate discussion when mankind falls.
    Yeah, I could see robots taking over humankind as humans will make them too powerful for us to control.

Spongebrain2.0 is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It is going to be hard to talk about AD without politics. Since it is a political comedy
    "Michael Ian Black loves Motor Scooters"

"In his entire term as President of the Residence board, Bob Feldman has NEVER stated his opinion on motor scooters....NEVER STATED HIS OPINION ON MOTOR SCOOTERS!?!?!?!"-Stella

Delthayre is offline Retired
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Swiftly to the judge's bench, aren't you?

Relish is a verb now? I assume it doesn't refer to application of a specific condiments in this useage.

Quote Originally Posted by Spongebrain2.0
    It is going to be hard to talk about AD without politics. Since it is a political comedy
    That's not necessarily going to be a problem. The note explicitly notes that discussing the directly relevant issue of the episode with the forbidden discussion being that which spirals out wildly into tangental issues and broader ideological conflicts. So I think constrained discussion of American Dad's presentation and perspective on an issue will be fine, but there won't be much allowed beyond that.

For my part, I expect that beyond the comedic content being dissatisfying, I expect MacFarlane's attempt at political satire to come across as too blunt and rough for my sensibilities. I expect it will be somewhat out of date too, given the length of production. It will be like whenan episode of The Simpsons tries to seize upon popular culture or issues at the time an episode is written but doesn't actually air until well after anyone really cares.
    “What is earnest is not always true; on the contrary, error is often more earnest than truth.”
    ~Benjamin Disraeli

shoujoaifan is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm assuming we're allowed to say "Oh, I like this joke about this person, etc.", right? To mention the jokes we liked WITHOUT having to debate the issues used in the joke, right? OH, and our favorite 1-liners. As well as creative criticism, totally optional of course

I mean, that's every single post in every single thread about every single show EVAR. "EVAR" being totally optional of course.
    Want to see what genre Mystery Science Theater 3000 evolved out of? www.horrorhosts.com will explain both past and present. I DARE you.

Spongebrain2.0 is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Delthayre
    For my part, I expect that beyond the comedic content being dissatisfying, I expect MacFarlane's attempt at political satire to come across as too blunt and rough for my sensibilities. I expect it will be somewhat out of date too, given the length of production. It will be like whenan episode of The Simpsons tries to seize upon popular culture or issues at the time an episode is written but doesn't actually air until well after anyone really cares.
    No, AD is actually a lot more up to date than The Simpsons. The Simpsons waits way too long to make fun of current issues and pop culture. They waited almost 7 years to parody South Park and Pokemon
    "Michael Ian Black loves Motor Scooters"

"In his entire term as President of the Residence board, Bob Feldman has NEVER stated his opinion on motor scooters....NEVER STATED HIS OPINION ON MOTOR SCOOTERS!?!?!?!"-Stella

Peter Paltridge is offline It's worth iiiiiiiit
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    They never parodied Pokemon specifically. They just showed Pikachu in one episode. As for South Park, SP paid tribute to The Simpsons in their "Simpsons Did It" episode, so The Simpsons returned the favor in their next season...it had nothing to do with "being current."

FYI: there's an episode coming where Mayor Quimby faces a recall election. In NEXT season.

As for American Dad: when it first showed up the reaction was mixed, now on the night of the premiere, before it's even started, I'm seeing people all over the place who want to boil Stan in blood. Geez, people, whatever happened to giving something a chance? If all that had been produced of Family Guy were the first two episodes, you would hate that show too. I enjoyed the Super Bowl AD episode...
    Visit my website! It's comfy and easy to wear!
    www.platypuscomix.net
    THIS WEEK: It's a war on the media and Trawn and company are caught in the middle in Part 2 of a brand-new Electric Wonderland incident! Aren't you glad real life isn't this insane?

Yash is offline dr. yashouzeke "loser" asakura
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Delthayre
    Relish is a verb now? I assume it doesn't refer to application of a specific condiments in this useage.
    rel·ish ( P ) Pronunciation Key (rlsh)
    n.
    1. An appetite for something; a strong appreciation or liking: a relish for luxury.
      1. Hearty enjoyment; zest. See Synonyms at zest.
      2. Something that lends pleasure or zest.
      1. A spicy or savory condiment or appetizer, such as chutney or olives.
      2. A condiment of chopped sweet pickle.
    2. The flavor of a food, especially when appetizing. See Synonyms at taste.
    3. A trace or suggestion of a pleasurable quality.

William C. Maune is offline TZ News Editor in Chief
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    From the way I interpret Matt's post, you can talk about the events in the episode as long as you don't debate whether the individual political issue is good/bad/etc. Once something becomes a debate about the political issue then it is no longer about the actual episode and thus off-topic for the thread. That's my take at least, Matt may need to clarify if I got it wrong though.
    Toonami Inner Circle Alliance: Forum X Bridge Digital Arsenal Infolink World's Finest ANX

Delthayre is offline Retired
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Suprisingly, I know that words mean things!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeke
    rel·ish ( P ) Pronunciation Key (rlsh)
    n.

1. An appetite for something; a strong appreciation or liking: a relish for luxury.
      1. Hearty enjoyment; zest. See Synonyms at zest.
      2. Something that lends pleasure or zest.

1. A spicy or savory condiment or appetizer, such as chutney or olives.
      2. A condiment of chopped sweet pickle.
    2. The flavor of a food, especially when appetizing. See Synonyms at taste.
    3. A trace or suggestion of a pleasurable quality.
    I... I... I was jestingly referring to Matt's phrase, "Negative opinions are perfectly fine (I relish in them)."
    “What is earnest is not always true; on the contrary, error is often more earnest than truth.”
    ~Benjamin Disraeli

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast