Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Black Vulcan is offline Wonder Woman... in my pants!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Gremlins Animated Series? Did It Exist?

Like This Thread!
    Years ago when I was a kid, I got a magazine from Pizza Hut that was highlighted cartoons at the time. It had an in-depth profile about a little upcoming series you may have heard of called "Tiny Toon..." something. Anywho, it had various animation news... "Beetlejuice" to air weekdays and what not... but one thing I remember distinctly was it mentioned an upcoming "Gremlins" cartoon series.

I recently did some searching on the Internet and heard that a pilot was made called "Gizmo and the Gremlins," but nothing more came of it. Does anyone else have any info about this never-made series? Was it action or comedy? What was the premise? Or will these be never-answered questions?

Thanks a lot, guys. Great site, Toon Zone!

Black Vulcan
    Black Vulcan a.k.a. "SuperVolt"
    "Hey, Aquaman! Why don't we call you WhiteFish?"

Natey is offline blank
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    i dont know........ if its real i hope its good
    -Formally imisshostinCCF

Fone Bone is offline Bonehead
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I heard about this too. This was back in the day that Warner Bros. Animation was trying to turn all of their successful movies franchises into cartoon series. Some worked (Batman: The Animated Series) some didn't (Police Academy) and some fell somewhere in between (Beetlejuice). As I recall WB was also at one point interested in a National Lampoon's Vacation Griswald Family cartoon but that too never materialized.

I would have LOVED a Gremlins cartoon. I'm still waiting for Pheobe Cates to come out of retirement to do a sequel.
    Matt Zimmer!
    "I'm not Smiley! I'm a real cow! Moo! Think I'll chew me some cud!"-- Smiley Bone a.k.a. the Mystery Cow in Bone: The Great Cow Race.
    "I knew we made a mistake the minute I saw that little bologna loaf in the hospital bassinet," Calvin's Dad from Calvin and Hobbes.

Peter Paltridge is online now It's worth iiiiiiiit
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Well shoot, I never knew they threw around the idea of one....I would have liked that. Dang.

Unless it turned out to revolve around "The Peltzer's kid." Don't forget that many of these movie-based shows were reworked, and not always made better.
    Visit my website! It's comfy and easy to wear!
    www.platypuscomix.net
    THIS WEEK: It's a war on the media and Trawn and company are caught in the middle in Part 2 of a brand-new Electric Wonderland incident! Aren't you glad real life isn't this insane?

Spongebrain2.0 is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I always wanted a Gremlins cartoon, I wonder why it never finalized
    "Michael Ian Black loves Motor Scooters"

"In his entire term as President of the Residence board, Bob Feldman has NEVER stated his opinion on motor scooters....NEVER STATED HIS OPINION ON MOTOR SCOOTERS!?!?!?!"-Stella

Michael24 is offline Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    A GREMLINS cartoon would have been cool, but likely light and goofy like the second film, and not dark and entertaining like the first.

I saw somewhere not too long ago that a GREMLINS 3 script is still in early drafts, and apparently Joe Dante has said in interviews its still a possibility, but it's just a matter of time until things work out. I'd like to see it go back to being dark and creepy like the first movie.
    LiveJournal | My Kevin Conroy Fan Page
    Current TV Favorites: Arrow, Bates Motel, Big Bang Theory, Blue Bloods, Criminal Minds, Elementary, Family Guy, The Flash, Gotham, Justified, Longmire, Ripper Street, Sleepy Hollow, Stalker, Toy Hunter, Unforgettable.

Spongebrain2.0 is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael24

I saw somewhere not too long ago that a GREMLINS 3 script is still in early drafts, and apparently Joe Dante has said in interviews its still a possibility, but it's just a matter of time until things work out. I'd like to see it go back to being dark and creepy like the first movie.
    Face it, Gremlins 3 is basically in Development Hell and likely NEVER to come out of it. It has joined the ranks of Roger Rabbit 2, Ghostbusters 3, Rambo 4, Indiana Jones 4, etc. Gremlins 3 has been talked about since the second film was released(1990) so I doubt it will ever get anywhere
    "Michael Ian Black loves Motor Scooters"

"In his entire term as President of the Residence board, Bob Feldman has NEVER stated his opinion on motor scooters....NEVER STATED HIS OPINION ON MOTOR SCOOTERS!?!?!?!"-Stella

John Pannozzi is offline 30 Years of Turtle Power
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I first heard about this several years ago...I thought of making a thread about it here every now and then but Black Vulcan beat me to the punch.

Anyhoo, here's all the info I could find:

From http://freehost07.websamba.com/gizmo...o/animated.htm

After the success of the first movie they planned an animated series based on the film. Sadly, only a pilot episode was produced and the project was canceled.

There was also an episode on the series Alvin and the Chipmunks go to the Movies called "Gremlionies" which was a parody of Gremlins.

P.S.: I heard on Toonarific.com (which is currently down), that the show would be about Gizmo fighting against Stripe and his gang of Gremlins.

Fone Bone is offline Bonehead
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael24
    A GREMLINS cartoon would have been cool, but likely light and goofy like the second film, and not dark and entertaining like the first.

I loved the second movie WAAAAY more than the first as the first took itself way too seriously. Pheobe Cates having another tragic flashback like her father stuck in the chimney dressed as Santa from the first one was a joke so brutal it is hard to believe the same people worked on both movies.
    Matt Zimmer!
    "I'm not Smiley! I'm a real cow! Moo! Think I'll chew me some cud!"-- Smiley Bone a.k.a. the Mystery Cow in Bone: The Great Cow Race.
    "I knew we made a mistake the minute I saw that little bologna loaf in the hospital bassinet," Calvin's Dad from Calvin and Hobbes.

Michael24 is offline Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Really? I mean, I liked the second one and all, but I just thought the Gremlins themselves worked better in the setting of a dark movie like the first. It made them scary, like they should be, whereas in the second one they were basically just turned into a joke.

And I had no idea GREMLINS 3 had been in Development Hell for that long. I had never heard of a third film until not that long ago.
    LiveJournal | My Kevin Conroy Fan Page
    Current TV Favorites: Arrow, Bates Motel, Big Bang Theory, Blue Bloods, Criminal Minds, Elementary, Family Guy, The Flash, Gotham, Justified, Longmire, Ripper Street, Sleepy Hollow, Stalker, Toy Hunter, Unforgettable.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast