Errr....why was the same line from an earlier episode in this episode(can anyone fill me in?)
DBZ 108 : "Goku's Special Technique" (English)
"Goku's New Special Attack?! Watch My Instantaneous Movement!!" (Japanese, episode 123)
1. Bra and panties added to nude pinup girl on the cover of one of Roshi's magazines when he is frantically searching for his sunglasses.
2. Dr. Briefs' cigarette digitally painted over, as usual.
3. Shot of Roshi giggling pervertedly while reading his porno.
4. Roshi's line "Well, hellooooo there!" to some girl in his porno mags cut.
Nothing unusual here, so let me take the chance to say this: what great script writing in the dub of this episode! The quips and one-liners had me rolling on the floor several times when I first watched these episodes 3 years ago, and still manage a "heh" out of me, which is unusual for anything that FUNimation has a hand in the scriptwriting of. Good work guys.
On that high note, I'd like to bid adieu to DBZ as far as edit lists goes, because this is the last one I'll be doing until... well, until movie 6 on Friday, but I won't be doing anymore episode comparisons. Why? I only have the next two episodes on edited VHS (damn you, Burger King) and I only have the Android Saga episodes in Spanish, so I would miss out on any uncut-to-edited FUNi script changes, which is unacceptable. That's really it. Toodles!
... Oh yeah, Dragonball. -_-;
Dragonball 114 : "Conquest and Power" (English)
"Goku's Wish!! Even Korin-sama is Worried!" (Japanese)
1. Oolong's magazine "PlayBook" is painted over to remove the title, nothing else. (What? It's not like this was infringing on any copyrights... it's just an allusion. Anime series do this all the time.)
2. Roshi's line "What do you say we go inside and learn more about our species?" to the mermaid changed to "I'm a turtle and you're part fish! I see romance in our future, you tasty little dish!"
Uh... both lines are pretty vulgar. I don't see the point of changing it. It's not like one is less risque than the other.
Last edited by Vekou; 09-22-2003 at 11:41 PM.
Errr....why was the same line from an earlier episode in this episode(can anyone fill me in?)
There was a very extensive flashback of some very early Master Roshi scenes. That scene where he meets the mermaid is one of them, so the line was edited for the sake of continuity.Originally Posted by ChibiGoku
Sorry this is late... I was very busy yesterday.
Dragonball 115 : "Awaken Darkness" (English)
"Get the Mysterious Super Sacred Water!" (Japanese)
1. One scene removed:
*The sound of a gunshot can be heard when Suno is comforting the injured grandma*
*Suno turns around and sees a guard collapsing on the ground as Piccolo and Piano walk away*
Suno : "Murderer!"
*Suno picks up the dead guard's rifle, aims it at Piccolo's head as he walks away*
*Piccolo turns around, eye-blasts the guard again for good measure*
*Suno, too scared to fire, drops the rifle*
Piccolo's : "What a moron..."
*Piccolo walks away*
Such powerful content as kids picking up guns has always been too strong to air on Toonami (scenes similar to this were even cut from my beloved Trigun on Adult Swim), and apparantly this was no exception.
Last edited by Vekou; 09-26-2003 at 02:18 AM.
Dragonball 116 : "A Taste of Destiny" (English)
"The Turtle Hermit's Alive?!" (Japanese)
1. Master Roshi's "Since insist on seeking the water... then I will have to kill you" changed to "Since insist on seeking the water... then I will have to destroy you."
2. Initial shot of Master Roshi kicking Goku's face when he is hanging onto the side of the cliff cut.
3. Three more kicks to the face removed.
4. Repeated shots of Goku's face swelling up, and saliva flying everywhere removed.
5. In the shot of Goku holding onto Yajirobe's leg, blood dripping down Yajirobe's leg is painted over.
6. Scene of Piccolo holding King Furry in the air by the neck before he tosses him to the ground cut.
7. While Piccolo is giving his speech, scene of family watching TV lengthened to compensate for the below cut.
8. Shot of some animal holding a knife to another animal cut after he hears Piccolo's declaration of anarchy.
Well, it was pretty brutal today. Can't say that I disapprove of any of these cuts.
That was all from the same scene. Why are you listing them as separate cuts? It's not like bits and pieces of the scene were left in.Originally Posted by Vekou
Sometimes I think a little blood is neccessary to get the point across. With the blood uneditted, I would've immediately felt Goku's plight and admired his determination greatly...and it would've made the episode so much better.Originally Posted by Vekou
But in its editted state, we just have Master Roshi kicking Goku a few times, Goku barely hurt if not bruised a little, and then Roshi finally giving in to Goku's determination. The episode just didn't seem neccessary that way, because we already know Goku's determined to stop Piccolo no matter what. But with a few blood shots, we immediately feel Goku's pain and thus makes the situation that much greater.
This has been Dark Spider....
Buh-za! Chik-ka! Wuh-pa! Teamo Kiyone...o!!!! Oops wrong show....
Christians don't believe in gravity.
------Peter Griffin [Family Guy]
Psst... here's a buck. Go nutsOriginally Posted by Vekou
You're right. I don't know why I did it that way, actually...Originally Posted by G1Ravage
Dark Spider : Well, yeah, but the unedited version of that scene comes off as unusually brutal to me (for DB, that is). A kid who's hanging off the edge of a cliff mercilessly getting kicked in the face several times? Not your typical Toonami fare.
Loser : If you're interested, I can basically tell you what was edited out of Dragonball Z today: First, blood was painted over around the corpses of Android 19 and 20's victims. Dr. Brief's ciggy was removed as usual, and several shots (at the end of the episodes) of Yamucha getting impaled through the stomach by Android 20 were replaced with some shots of the scenery. Yes, he's impaled through the stomach by 20's hand.
And I said that Goku getting kicked in the face was brutal? Man... well, it's safe to say THIS needed to be cut.
Anyways, on with Dragonball... strap in folks, today's quite a read.
Dragonball 117 : "The Ultimate Sacrifice" (English)
"Son Goku Finally Takes Off!!" (Japanese)
1. (In recap) Shot of Piccolo holding King Funny by the neck in midair replaced with a shot of Pu'ar and Oolong looking at the TV in shock.
2. (In recap) Again, scene of the tiger holding up the other animal with a knife is replaced by extending the shot of the family watching TV.
3. Scene of some crazed criminals driving a truck into a restaurant cut.
4. Scene of a criminal jumping through a swimsuit billboard cut.
5. Scene of criminals setting a building afire and launching rockets into a building, much to the surprise of an office worker, who tries to stomp the fire out.
6. A shot of a truckfull of criminals aimlessly shooting guns in all directions cut.
7. A scene cut here...
Policeman over loudspeaker : "Please return to your homes! Piccolo is not the official ruler! All those who break the law will be punished accordingly!"
*Criminal pistol-whips the officer in the face*
*Officer falls down*
Criminal : "I'll keep it under advisement... heheh..."
8. Another scene of more criminals carelessly shooting up cars and other such things removed.
9. Another scene, this time in a jail:
Prisoner : "Come on. Give it up, warden."
Warden : "Get comfortable. You're not going anywhere, Johnny... at least, not on my watch. So, just sit back and relax there."
Prisoner : "Oh, I'm fine right here..."
*Criminals break out of their cells, and stand over the warden and the other guards with guns and evil smiles*
Side note: While watching this episode, you may have asked yourself "What did the punk guy write on that bug-eyed Indian-looking guy's shirt?" It sure wasn't 'annihilation.' Pay no attention to that. FUNimation's script writers don't know Japanese, and consequently botched this scene badly and just made it confusing for everyone. If you noticed, what was written on the boy's shirt was a single, very simple katakana character. It reads 'ma,' which as you should know by now, translates to 'demon' or 'devil'.
But wait! I thought that that complicated looking symbol with the two star thingies in the middle meant 'ma'!
There is a simple answer to this - the symbol worn on Piccolo's garb does read 'ma,' but in kanji, which is traditional, complicated Japanese characters derived from Chinese. This is why the punker says "ah, this'll do," after he writes 'ma' in simple katakana, rather than the fancy, complicated kanji symbol, which he doesn't know how to write properly (think of it as trying to spell a really long word). Get it now?
10. Shot of the punker's knife falling close to his crotch after Android #8 slaps it out of his hand replaced with an extended shot of the punkers laughing nervously. (They also edited a scene in earlier Dragonball when a knife fell close to Kuririn's crotch, in fact, tearing his pants open, by moving the knife further away from him. I don't know why...)
Most of these were unnecessary. While, I must admit, some of the criminal activity was pretty dastardly, you wouldn't see much worse on, say, Batman... although the rocket firing was similar to a terrorist attack, so I can see why they took that out.
Last edited by Vekou; 09-26-2003 at 11:33 PM.
Vekou, the latest episode was "The Ultimate Sacrifice", not "A Taste of Destiny".
Oops... thanks.Originally Posted by G1Ravage
|toonzone quick jump|