1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

ZOMBIE THREAD!! The Marvel "Dead is Dead" list... (Possible SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'Comic Book Culture' started by Frank White, Feb 5, 2006.

1. Frank White

Frank White R.I.P Notorious BIG

We've catalouged characters who have died and then came back, well what characters have died and stayed dead. I'll start with who I can think of...

Marvel

Spider-Man
    Uncle Ben
    Kraven I
    Gwen Stacy
    Green Goblin II (Harry Osborn)
    Green Goblin III (Bart Hamilton)
    Hobgoblin II (Ned Leeds)
    Hobgoblin IV( Jason Macendale)
    Mysterio I
    George Stacy
    Jean DeWolffe
    Grim Hunter
    Demogoblin
    Ben Reilly
    Dr.Octopus II(Carolyn Trainer)

Avengers
    Mockingbird
    Ant-Man(Scott Lang)
    Jack of Hearts
    Captain Marvel

Daredevil
    Drake Murdock
    Karen Page
    Stick
    Foggy Nelson

X-Men
    Thunderbird
    Moira McTaggert
    Ultimate Beast
    Ultimate Gambit

Fantastic Four
    Franklin Storm

Human Torch I(android)

#1 Frank White, Feb 5, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2006
  2. ManicWebb

ManicWebb You were cold as ice...

Madelyne came back once. When X-Man crossed over from the AoA to 616 universe, he accidentally corporealized Maddie's astral ghost. She stayed around for five years before dying again.

3. Ed Liu

Ed Liu That's 'Cause I ATE IT!!!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Howdy,

The original Captain Marvel (Mar-Vell, Kree infiltrator turned traitor to his people) died of cancer in the 80's and has never been resurrected since. I've heard that it's unwritten canon at Marvel that Mar-Vell shall never be resurrected, since the story was so intimately tied to the struggle and passing of author Jim Starlin's father to cancer.

-- Ed/Ace

4. halinar

halinar Active Member

Please... everyone is fair game now. It's a quest to see who can dig up the most dead characters now between the big 2.

Death doesn't mean squat.

5. Sandoz

Sandoz Thin Man Fan

Gwen was resurrected during House of M, and died again when the regular Marvel timeline was restored.

6. randomguy

randomguy Came, liked Ike, and left.

Also, Gwen was cloned by professor Miles Warren (AKA The Jackal) in an earlier Spider-Man story that eventually led into the Clone Saga.

Plus, Jack of Hearts came back very briefly during "Avengers Disassembled", and both Mockingbird and Captain Marvel were briefly resurrected in an early storyline in Kurt Busiek's run on the book.

Uncle Ben also came back in House of M.

That said, all of these were short-term resurrections with built in shelf lives, so you may or may not count them as "coming back". The Gwen Stacy clone is, I believe, an exception. I think she's still wandering around the backwaters of the Marvel Universe somewhere.

Others that came to mind for me:
    Moira McTaggert
    Ultimate Beast
    Mysterio I (Quentin Beck)
    George Stacy and Jean DeWolfe
    Stick
    Venom I/Eddie Brock (maybe)

7. Darth-geister

Darth-geister Member

Someone forgot the original Green Goblin. I heard that Magneto also had died.

8. Xurk

Xurk Active Member

Maybe you misinterpreted the thread, Darth-giester; it's about who's managed to stay dead, and (maybe you honestly didn't know this), the original Green Goblin (Norman Osborne) came back from the dead in the late nineties, as the "string-puller" of the whole Spidey Clone Saga :)

9. Damien

Damien Watching

Okay, so who was the Captain Marvel that was made of colors and stars and appeared a couple years ago?

10. Ed Liu

Howdy,

That was the first one's son, Genis-Vell. There was an issue somewhere during the Peter David run that dealt with the messed-up relationship the two had.

-- Ed/Ace

11. King_of_doom

King_of_doom kiva fan

The son of Kraven the Hunter
    Demogoblin
    Spider-Ben

12. Frank White

Frank White R.I.P Notorious BIG

As far as the House of M characters, no I dont consider them as "ressurected" considering the original characters are still dead. I also dont consider clones as the character being ressurected. Anyway is the Changeling still dead?

13. Conekiller

Conekiller On the Cruise!

Man, Psylocke was "dead dead" for a while, but it looks like she's back now (she "crossed over" and everything) how did she come back?

14. ManicWebb

They never bothered explaining it. She was originally supposed to be kidnapped by Elias Bogan, and revealed to be his pet psychic during X-Treme X-Men's final arc. When the editors told Claremont "no", he decided to bring back Rachel Summers (or an abomination of her, anyway) as the pet psychic. A year later, Claremont brought Psylocke back without telling readers jack-diddly. Frankly, I don't think Claremont even bothered coming up with an explanation this time.

15. Sandoz

Sandoz Thin Man Fan

Actually, Claremont's last Uncanny arc before being shuffled off the book will explain Psylocke's resurrection. While the lack of answers so far have been frustrating, it seems like he really did have a plan, since it's all supposed to tie in with the "What the heck is Jaime Braddock up to?" subplot that he's been playing with since Reload.

16. ManicWebb

And he saved this special little gem until after "On Ice" and "Grey's End" because...? I know the man likes to plan ahead, but that's just ridiculous.

17. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

Claremont is an old school comic creator, who doesn't plot his stories for the TPB's, but for the true readers who are going to follow the ongoing adventures of his characters for the long term. While on one hand I applaud that aspect of his writing, Claremont's gotten stale in his storytelling skills. He'll bring back plot lines from 5 to 10 years ago that nobody remembers or ever cared about in the first place. And while it's good that he'll leave some plot details dangling, (to be answered later) he does have a habit of letting his plots drag on waaaaay too long...

18. dendawg

dendawg RIP Dusty :(

We can add Foggy Nelson to that list.:(

19. Ed Liu

Howdy,

Hope nobody minds, but I've added a tag to the subject to indicate that this thread contains spoilers, mostly to cover people who may come in here and find that Foggy Nelson is dead in Daredevil, apparently.

I'm also wondering if there ought to be a statute of limitations of sorts, where someone in the MU doesn't count as dead until they stay that way for longer than some reasonable number of months. It clearly doesn't count if a writer kills someone at the beginning of a thread and then revives them by the end of it.

However, if you're here at all, be prepared for spoilage. No spoiler tags necessary. And Rosebud was the sled.

-- Ed/Ace

20. Leaping Larry Jojo

Leaping Larry Jojo Searching for a map

Is Betty Banner still dead? Man, call me a sentimental old coot (at age 27, no less) but Foggy Nelson, Karen Page, and all these supporting characters gone...I often cared more about them than the title characters...

*shaking head disapprovingly*