1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

ZOMBIE THREAD!!! Should DC Comics Leave The Comic Code?

Discussion in 'Comic Book Culture' started by James Harvey, May 17, 2001.

1. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

None of the publishers under the code are meeting it. In DC BATMAN: GOTHAM ADVENTURES, BATMAN BEYOND, and SUPERMAN ADVENTURES are the only one that ever meets it. The unprinted Zsasz issue of GOTHAM KNIGHTS wasn't cancelled becuase of the code. Should DC leave, and set up their own system, a la Marvel?

2. Calhoun07

Calhoun07 It's Me

Well, you know I'm not a fan of any kind of ratings system, but yes, the Comics Code is a relic of the 50's that deserves to fade away into the past. Unfortunately, the mind set that brought forth the Comics Code is alive and well today, and if people aren't complaining about comic books ruining society today, it's video games and MTV. Put ratings on whatever you want, it won't solve anything. I just say do away with the code, with ratings, with the whole mess. What one person finds appropriate another will not so therefore ratings are subjective as a whole anyway. And ratings also feeds into another monster I am against, and that's "demographics." Demographics kills of many a great project, and more than likely Lone Gunmen was killed because of it because it didn't fit into the "demographic" for Friday night.

3. The Flash

The Flash Fastest Man Alive

[​IMG] I HEAR YA!!!

4. Inque

Inque Liquid Darkness

[color=6666cc] they should leave the comics code! out with the old, in with the new![/color]

5. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

I personnally think they should adapt a new code, from all ages up to Mature. But then will B:GA get more pigeonholed as a kiddie book?

6. Calhoun07

Calhoun07 It's Me

it's inevitable

Of course it will! It already is! At any comic book store I've been to, the DC animated titles are stuck on a bottom shelf with all the other kiddie comics, where they get beaten and virtually destroyed (making mint back issues all the harder to find in these stores). How could it get more pigeon holed any more than it is?

7. Vigo Sprax

Vigo Sprax Member

All parts of the entertainment industry should work together to make ONE universal code for: movies, music, comics, games, etc... to narrow down on confusion.

What I don't like is how stores follow these like they were the LAW. Its important to treat codes & ratings as a suggestion, mostly to warn parents of younger children. If I'm old enough to have a job to pay for the things I buy and my own car to drive to these places to purchase the item then I shouldn't be turned away because store policy states I'm not old enough.

8. Inque

Inque Liquid Darkness

[color=6666cc] weren't these codes adopted a loooooooonnng time ago when the world was a lot more conservative?[/color]

9. kid_flash

kid_flash Speedy Teen

YES!

DC SHOULD leave the CCA! Marvel's on the right track, and DC should follow, because they're losing readers.

In some ways, DC left the CCA long ago, when they made Vertigo. So many more readers came then. In some ways, DC has thier own levels that Marvel's getting ready to use:

Everyone: CN books, some mainstream.

Older kids and up: Everything mainstream.

Adults: Vertigo.

I'm sure I missed some stuff.

10. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

Well it only took 10 years later from the start of this thread, way to show initiative DC!!!

Oh, and by the way:

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!

11. Gatomon41

Gatomon41 Free Equestrian Forces

After all these years, who knew the CCA would be gone.

12. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

Who knew it would still be around? Its purpose deflated decades before it did. Nobody looked for that seal anymore; comics for kids are plainly labeled so.

13. John Pannozzi

John Pannozzi Still Gritty after all these years

And the icing on the cake is that the Code's logo is now owned by the CBLDF, and organization dedicated to FIGHTING comic book censorship. If only they'd release an official shirt of the CCA logo being desecrated (and I don't mean that in a dirty way).