ZOMBIE THREAD! Mozilla Firefox opinions?

Discussion in 'Cafe toonzone' started by MDawg, Feb 14, 2004.

1. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

Well, the Mozilla folks released a new version of their slim, Firebird browser(re-christened Firefox) version 0.8 this week. Has anyone tried it out yet? Does still handle pages as smoothly and efficiently as Fuirebird did? Does the installer give you any problems (previous versions didn't have one)? Do all of your extensions still work or did you have problems with any?

Just wanted to get some opinions before I take the dive into the upgrade. Thanks.

2. Lucky Bob

Lucky Bob I'M BRIAN BLESSED

I noticed that it runs a bit slower than the previous version. Maybe I need to just give in and upgrade my RAM, but still, not something I expected from Firebird/Firefox. Plus, I made the mistake of installing a skin from a couple of versions ago, and it messed things up quite a bit on the visual side. In fact, I even lost the scrollbar and the "Back/Forward" buttons!

Haven't had much of a problem with the extentions. I found a sweet mouse gesture pack that works like a charm. So, that's a plus.

The installer was a pleasant surprise, although, I always thought it ran better without one. Odd, but ah well.

But yeah, on the whole, it's not that bad. A bit of a letdown for me, since I expected a lot more than the already near-perfect Firebird 0.7, but I don't think it's gotten worse by any stretch. But until the next bugfixes come out, I'm sticking mainly with MyIE2.

Gotta love the name, though. :D

3. defunctzombie

defunctzombie Cutie Pie

So... almost 10 years later. Has Firefox turned out to be everything you hoped it would be?

4. Radiant

Radiant Foreverrrrr!

I've used FireFox since around 2005, and I haven't ever looked back. I tried to get into Chrome, but I just couldn't.

5. RandomMe

RandomMe Stave it off

I never liked Firefox.

6. MDawg

Still using it nearly a decade later! Hard to believe it's been almost 10 years since Firefox (the name, not the browser) has been around.

Yeah, it's much larger than the original, but I still love it for all my daily needs. I just could never get into Chrome. I use it sometimes, but Firefox remains my number one browser.

7. Gatomon41

Gatomon41 Call To Rebellion

Firefox is amazing! I get less problems and issues from the Internet than I did with IE.

8. Dub C

Dub C Just a animation lovin' dude

Funny thing about it is that I initially got Firefox a couple years ago because I was frustrated with the problems IE was giving me. Now, Firefox seems to have some kind of problem every so often with random crashes and whatnot and the rare times I do use IE, I have no issues *shrug*

9. Aquadementia

Aquadementia That's a lot of Mulaney!

Still my favorite browser.

If I download a new version before the trial period is up, does that mean I don't have to pay? How will that affect my Netscape stock?

10. purplehairedwonder

purplehairedwonder No woman should suffer at the hands of men

I used Firefox for a long time, but about a year ago it started crashing on me constantly. I switched to Chrome and haven't looked back. Having my bookmarks saved to my Google user profile has been a HUGE lifesaver.

11. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo We're not cousins!

I used Firefox for years after switching from Internet Explorer (which I haven't even considered using again since), but I switched to Google Chrome about 4 years ago and Chrome has been my primary browser ever since, although I still have Firefox on my desktop and laptop.

I received a Samsung Galaxy Tab as a gift last Christmas and installed Firefox onto it because I didn't want to use the generic internet browser that came with the device. Trying to activate Firefox's bookmark sync was an absolute pain. I have no idea why Mozilla makes is so complicated to import bookmarks to a tablet. I wrestled with it for half the evening and still couldn't get it to work. I just gave up on it and installed Chrome instead. Firefox is fine for laptops and desktops, but as far as tablets go, Chrome and Dolphin Browser are much better.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2013
  12. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Uncreative Hack

I've never understood why people love a processor hog like Chrome. It just sucks up so much system memory and makes everything else run slow as molasses (that and it never remembers where you want to download stuff).

Firefox may not be as good as it used to be, but its still better than that broken glitchy sponge of a browser.

13. Dr. Daedalus

Dr. Daedalus I presume.

Plus, Chrome is made by Google. Forgive me if I don't trust a browser made by that company, in light of the recent news.

14. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

I just switched to Chrome, too. I've used Firefox for nearly 10 years, but the latest version was crashing on me too much.

On my iPad I mostly use Safari, but Dolphin is good to have around for things that don't work right in Safari.

15. MDawg

For people who are having Firefox crashing issues, have you tried resetting the browser?

Also, I love the fact that a nearly ten year old topic with one reply gets yanked out of the grave and turns into a lively topic.

16. defunctzombie

defunctzombie Cutie Pie

I've used it since version 2; in fact I still have my appearance rearranged to match the pre-4 versions. IE is a mess, and I won't support Google any more than I have to, so it's the one for me. Safari is okay, but I don't like the Windows version.

I'm good at what I do.

17. MDawg

I did that for a long time as well after 4 came out, but finally came to like the new design.

The fact that the Windows version of Safari has been dead for over a year by now probably helps as well.

18. Daikun

Daikun Long Live the Fighter!

Chrome is practically the snake oil of browsers. I never understood the appeal of it back then, and I still don't get it now. Maybe if you have an old Windows XP/Vista machine and have trouble with HTML5 sites (i.e. Bump Worthy), sure, why not? Aside from that, IE is perfectly serviceable if you have version 10 or higher. If you have a newer computer with Windows 7/8, Chrome is worthless. Just stick with Firefox and the newest versions of IE.

I honestly never thought I'd be willing to defend IE considering my stance on it back then, but it's dramatically improved since the days of the older Windows models.

EDIT: If you have a 64-bit machine, go with Waterfox.

19. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Uncreative Hack

IE's only gotten "better" because Microsoft was finally forced to implement a lot of features Firefox already had.

20. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

Well, I switched back to Firefox with No-Script because through my vanilla Chrome experience I got to find out what a Zedo popup is and how it's "not spyware."

I have decided to give Chrome with Adblock Plus a try, though.