1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

ZOMBIE THREAD!! If you could visit any fictional comic book city...

Discussion in 'Comic Book Culture' started by Anthonynotes, Sep 8, 2002.

?

If you could visit any fictional comic-book city...

1. Metropolis

3 vote(s)
    8.6%
  2. Gotham City

16 vote(s)
    45.7%
  3. Smallville

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  4. Central City/Keystone City

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  5. Gateway City

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  6. Fawcett City

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  7. DCU version of New York City

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Marvel Universe version of New York City

4 vote(s)
    11.4%
  9. Astro City

5 vote(s)
    14.3%
  10. Other

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  1. Anthonynotes

Anthonynotes Active Member

If you could visit any fictional comic book city (not including alternate dimensions/countries/so forth), which one would it be?

-B.

2. Jor-El

Jor-El Krypton is doomed.

I have a habit of never seeing the "other" choice on these polls. Usually my response is "other" but I vote for a choice just because they are there and I never think ahead.

I voted for Keystone City. I don't really care for Central City. And they're very different cities, so the fact that they're listed together doesn't make much sense beyond "they are near each other and both had a Flash protecting them at one point." I'll assume it was done to make room for other choices.

Let me just say that there is no reason for anyone to want to go to Gotham unless he is a superhero himself. The city is clearly NOT SAFE for people.

I'd go to Opal City. It wasn't NEARLY as dangerous as Gotham or Metropolis, and ESPECIALLY not as dangerous as the Marvel NYC. And beyond safety concerns, nobody who has even the faintest notion of where Opal is or what it looks like can argue that it is the most beautifully designed city with the most exquisite architecture. Tony Harris and James Robinson did wonders when they created Opal City.

3. Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman Telling it like it is

I voted for Gotham. But there's no way I'd go there unless I was armed. :D

4. TimTwoFace

TimTwoFace Mod, and Minotaur Bait

Gotham, all the way - who would ever think that such a dark town would be so colourful.

As long as I'm packin' a piece on every hip and ankle, and with a fifth one hidden in my hair, I'd do just fine.

Just keep me away from Crime Alley.

-Tim

5. Marc

Marc Friend from another star?

Astro City

I am a strong supporter of Kurt Busiek's Astro City, what feel to be one of the greatest comic book series ever made. I haven't been very vocal about the book here on these boards, but now that it's coming back, you'll be hearing plenty from me.

Astro City is a wonderful place to visit on the printed page, and would be fantastic to walk the streets for real. A place where superheroes actually try to be "super" heroes. It brings back the magic of the Golden and Silver Age comics yet sets them in a modern, real world setting. No comic book has brought me as much joy as reading Astro City, and I have never wanted a fictional place to exist more.

6. Sharklady

Sharklady Active Member

I voted 'Other', because the one featured-in-a-comicbook burg I'd most like to visit is (ta-da!) The City of Townsville.

I'd get a chance to be threatened by some of the most interesting supervillains around, and to be saved by the three cutest little supergirls. As an added bonus: even if the place got completely pulverized while I was there, I could be sure it would be back together within a day.

What more could you ask of a vacation?

7. LadyM

LadyM Active Member

Gotham, if only for its architecture.

"Forget the Joker--Gotham's city planners should be the ones in jail! It's like one giant haunted house! . . . Batman? Batman, where are you?" - Superman visits Gotham

:D

~LM~

8. Sharklady

Sharklady Active Member

> I'd go to Opal City. It wasn't NEARLY as dangerous as Gotham or Metropolis, and ESPECIALLY not as dangerous as the Marvel NYC. And beyond safety concerns, nobody who has even the faintest notion of where Opal is or what it looks like can argue that it is the most beautifully designed city with the most exquisite architecture. Tony Harris and James Robinson did wonders when they created Opal City. <

I don't believe I've heard of Opal City before- the name certainly suggests an appealing place. Which superhero hangs out there?

9. Karkull

Karkull Mod of Chaos

Superhero cities are just so darn dangerous, so I'd go to the one where I'd stand the best chance of survival. My choice is The City, home of...The Tick!

10. Jor-El

Jor-El Krypton is doomed.

Starman used to, and now Black Condor, Bobo, and Phantom Lady. Ralph Dibny (Elongated Man) and his wife Sue are still there too. And the police force, composed mostly of the O'Dares, is top-notch.

Great series, Starman was. Well worth picking up in the trades.

11. The Penguin

The Penguin All Hail the King!
    Staff Member Moderator

I don't spend too much time here, but I just couldn't stay away from this topic!

I voted Gotham City. Like LM1313 said the architecture is very impressive there and I think I would be intrigued by the prospect of a Batman protecting it. Granted I wouldn't go around looking for him, I'm not that adventurous, but still I think it would be neat, but then again so would Metropolis. :confused:

12. wrenchien

wrenchien Active Member

houston, texas.

in any reality.

I'm pretty sure the d.c. universe AND the marvel universe has one of those.

13. Jade_GL

Jade_GL An Aperture Science Original

Hard question. I was going to vote for Fawcett City, because I love the Marvels and I think it would be great to see the entire team in action, as well as listen to Billy Batson on the radio. Yeah!

But, I voted for Smallville. Superman is there almost all the time, and you don't have the traffic and bustle of Metropolis. Bung!

14. Barb Gordon

Barb Gordon Nin-Mod

Got to be Gotham! Mostly for it's architecture and that I would be hunting down a certain boy billionaire/vigilante the moment I set foot in the city. And also "other", which would be Bludhaven. The last place I would ever want to be....if it weren't for the super hot cop/vigilante that lives at 1013 Parkthorne Avenue..*cough* in Apartment 3A... :rolleyes:

~Barb

15. BatChick

BatChick Who has a thing for Nightwing

What Barb said. Only I'd be looking to also watch the Batman in action.

I don't think I'd be too worried about my safety. Okay so maybe I'm putting too much faith in Batman but I don't think so. Plus they have a competent police department.

#15 BatChick, Sep 19, 2002
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2002
  16. Livewire

Livewire The Electrifying Member

I voted for Metropolis. It'd be cool to go inside of the Daily Planet, or see Supes in action.

17. xoriel

xoriel genetic misfire extraordinaire

Gotham?! :eek: Hell no, man, I wanna live!! Metropolis with the B13 technology, now THAT should be a real sight!

18. Gotham Knights '68

Gotham Knights '68 Gotham's Finest

Take me to where the Bat-clan lives!

Gotham all the way - for all the reasons posted above - a BIG FAT DITTO!!!! Great responces/posts, especially from Barb and Two-Face :D

19. Dee

Dee What?

....but you forget the dark knight... the legendary BATMAN is soaring the skies of Gotham. I'd go there ANY DAY.

20. Caped Crusader

Caped Crusader Batman--The Dark Knight

I voted for Gotham. I think that would be a cool place to visit.