1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

ZOMBIE THREAD!! Could a Comic Book Channel work?

Discussion in 'Comic Book Culture' started by Sage Shinigami, May 22, 2007.

1. Antiyonder

Antiyonder Amalgam Universe Overlord
    Staff Member Moderator

Out of curiousity,

Are there any nonsuperhero live action comic based shows?

Only one I can recall is an old Dennis The Menace sitcom in Black & White.

2. Sage Shinigami

Sage Shinigami Active Member

Yeah basic cable has maybe 30-50 channels and not one of those is going to go to something like a comic book channel. I don't think its niche enough to not warrant a channel but I know its too niche to be on basic cable. I do think it'd do well on DirectTV and DishNetwork on that second tier. I already pay five bucks for Boomerang so I know I'd pay that for a comic book network.

3. Antiyonder

Antiyonder Amalgam Universe Overlord
    Staff Member Moderator

Remembered this thread and came up with some other programming ideas:

Who Wants To Be A Superhero?
    Sabrina The Teenage Witch
    Sabrina The Animated Series
    Sabrina's Secret Life

As with Sonic The Hedgehog, I'd include other programs that have a successful comic tie in:

Simpsons
    Futurama

4. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

Sure, I think a Comic Book Channel would work. Especially now that G4 has fallen to the wayside...

Besides coverage of the latest comic book events, interviews with creators, toss in some coverage of Indy publications, it could work. Also, they should totally do like G4 did with it's documentaries on classic video games - they could do documentaries on classic storylines, titles, characters, artists, etc...or imagine VH1's "Behind the Music" or "I Love the 80's!" specials, except done for Comic Books! it could be like "Comic Book Resources", if they were to become a TV channel!

It could air the occasional comic book movie, maybe once a week, or once a month. I don't expect it'll get the rights to air a lot of DC or Marvel superhero movies, but maybe the classics, like the Superman movies starring Christopher Reeves, or maybe they could air "From Hell" starring Johnny Depp on Halloween.

Oh, and one more thing:

THREAD NECROMANCY!!! HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!

[​IMG]

5. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

A comic book channel could conceivably work (perhaps not for long in the US, where comics are considered too 'niche'), provided that said channel wouldn't contain just DC and Marvel shows and movies, but independent studio comics and manga, some non-action comics like Archie, Casper and Richie Rich, Comic-Con coverage, interviews with creators, writers and illustrators, news and reviews of comic books, shows and movies based on comics, documentaries on comics and comic book culture, original series and more.

Of course in order for said channel to get the most bang for the buck, it would require the forces of DC and Marvel more or less working together, which is about as likely to happen as a Dairy Queen opening up on Uranus.

6. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

Nope, there's too much network decay for a really niche channel like that to work any more. It'd be a TBS clone within two years.