1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

ZOMBIE THREAD!! Could a Comic Book Channel work?

Discussion in 'Comic Book Culture' started by Sage Shinigami, May 22, 2007.

1. Sage Shinigami

Sage Shinigami Active Member

Okay, presuming Marvel and DC didn't butt heads on a channel that features exclusively comic-related material, could it work? Say if it showed not only cartoons but live-action and movies as well, and supported all of that with video footage from various big con events where the Big Two announced their plans for the new year, as well as interviews from comic creators. Would it work, or would it fall flat on its face?

2. guerillacropoli

I think a comic book channel wouldn't work in the US, since it's still a "niche medium." However, I think a weekly half-hour/one hour show on G4 or Sci-Fi would be great, as comic book geeks would watch it to get their fix, and random viewers would become interested in the show, and perhaps even try a few comics.

Wizard could probably put together a decent show like that.

3. rggkjg1

rggkjg1 Batman v Superman

i think it could work. i think there is already or soon will be enough material that could make up an entire channel. it wouldn't have to be 24 hours. they could do paid programing or something at 1 in the morning to 5, 6, or 7 in the morning every day. i also kind of think it wouldnt work since the material would be reruns of the cartoons or live action shows, most of which are easily availible on dvd. well, except for adam west batman. if such a channel could take off, it would be interesting to see what kind of "original" programming they could offer. an animated punisher cartoon perhaps, or a live action tv movie or series of the question. or more animated dc universe material. the possibilities are endless, as long as the channel would be a hit.

4. Jeff Harris

Jeff Harris Creator/Webmaster, TXB

Theoretically, a comic-themed network could work. However, one of three things must happen for it to succeed:

1) Marvel and TimeWarner (DC) must learn to work together and become involved in the programming. Live-action and animated properties from both companies have to be a part of the network, and it'd be foolish to have a comic company without the two mainstream companies as a part of it. They would own a combined 50% in the network. The remaining 50% would be owned by a network operator not connected with either company, in this case, someone like NBC Universal (owners of Sci-Fi, Chiller, and Sleuth), Comcast, or Liberty Media.

2) Programming must include a myriad of programming, including movies and shows based on independently-produced comic titles, documentaries, news shows, and specials.

3) They would have to air live-action and animated productions based on manga titles because manga is comics.

But realistically, a comic-themed channel will never become a reality in this country. We barely have a Sci-Fi Channel and a Cartoon Network as it is. The less said about that abomination called G4, the better. Plus, as guerillacropoli stated, comics are pretty much a niche medium. And DC and Marvel would never, ever get along again.

5. Kury Wagner

Kury Wagner Jizzyboobgirlkury

It'd be yummy and I'd watch it all the time. Oh wait, you asked if it would work. ><

G4 kinda works. Sci-Fi Channel has worked for ages. I don't see why another geek channel couldn't. Not to mention, there are so many stupid-themed channels, anyway, that live on for some ungodly reason.

There's definitely enough comic-based shows, both live action and cartoons, and yeah, all the movies. And the genre is only growing larger every year. Plus, it could get anime, though that might turn a lot of geeks away.

It could work, but then, anything *could* work. I think it would need a lot of hype, and cable companies needn't screw around with placement and availability. Definitely has potential, but not without a lotttt of work.

6. Sage Shinigami

Comics are "niche". Spin-offs of comics are not. Smallville is a hit TV show. The Adam West Batman (horrible as it is) is still a staple of pop culture and its been...what, 40 years? Comic book movies make millions of dollars--every Spider-Man movie has broken some box-office record. Comic book cartoons are huge--if they weren't we wouldn't have three different Batman toons, two different X-Men toons, three different Hulk toons, and about six or seven different Spider-Man toons. The source material may be niche, but the various adaptations are not. No one's saying the channel has to focus on the comics themselves 24/7, just a small chunk of its programming each day.

However, if it just got some small representation on G4 or Sci-Fi it would go unnoticed. Especially if it were made by Wizard. Comic book geeks don't like Wizard, especially since that fiasco with Captain America 25. Putting it on G4 would almost be like saying you didn't want it to succeed at all. And the (sad) thing is, a program like that would most likely be what execs looked at ratings wise to see if a comic book channel actually would work.

Agreed. I don't think it would be as big a problem as you think as far as them working together. I mean, most comic shows (from DC *and* Marvel) are shown pretty much on the same channels (CW and CN). I figure if DC can have an advertising for a Marvel video game (not SM3--that trading card game that just came out) in its comics, then they can certainly work together with them on something like this which I think would make a lot of money.

Agreed. Well. At least on the specials and whatnot. Too many documentaries and you risk boring a more mainstream viewer. And what kind of news shows could you do for comics?

Not feeling that idea. The majority of manga and comic fans don't like one another. There's a small overlap sure but I think people consistently overrate it how large it is. Plus anime already (kind of) has two channels, with representation on five or so more (CoLours, Cartoon Network, IFC, Encore, and soon Sci-Fi).

Again? They got along before? :D Realistically, it probably never will (unless I get in a position of power somewhere in TV land...then it will become my life's mission), but I'm talking theoretically.

Thinking on it, a small portion of its programming could be devoted to actual comics. Video reports from cons, maybe a little 30 minute/1 hour segment each week where they review comic books that came out that week. It COULD stretch to reviewing games and comic book movies, but I'm not really sure about the reviews in the first place if its partially owned by the comic companies. They might pull support because people were honest about how Civil War Initiative Frontline Backdraft #2 sucked. :D

Early morning could have cartoons for the kids like Superfriends, Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends, The Batman and Legion of Superheroes.

Day time could be devoted to the live-action programs that have been created by both comic companies (the Hulk, Wonder Woman, Spider-Man, Superboy) as well as some of the more "classic" movies created by them. (Say from Superman in the 1970s to Superman IV in the early 90's).

The closer it got for the kiddies to get out of school the more cartoons would start to air again. Stuff like Static Shock and Teen Titans.

Primetime would end up being devoted to more current movies--basically anything from Blade up to current stuff like X3. Follow that up with Smallville maybe, then shows like the MTV Spider-Man and the DCAU.

I guess late-night TV could actually be dedicated to paid programming...at least for a while. Eventually the channel would need original programming--they all do for some reason or other. I think it would be cool to see if something like what Cartoon Network has with Adult Swim would work for this channel. One of the main reasons Adult Swim Action doesn't work (aside from their expectation of people staying home on a Saturday night to watch cartoons) is that a lot of people (especially comic book fans) just don't like anime. Certain superheroes (Batman, and hate him though I do, Wolverine) could do with a more adult take, and some (nearly all) could do with a cartoon that didn't just aim at the 10 and under crowd (I'm not saying it has to aim at 18-35, though it might be nice, but the 16-25 crowd would allow creators to do so much more). They could start off with "sure thing" series like the Ultimates (which can only really last maybe two seasons anyway) and feature films like Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, then branch out to more mainstream things like an Avengers or a Teen Titans cartoon.

Original programming actually could make a lot of money on a channel like this since you could also use primetime as a way to appeal to people who like shows like Smallville with more live-action series. Like that young Bruce series people have been talking about basically forever. (I always thought it made more sense anyway. Bruce travels the world before he becomes Batman, Clark just played around on the farm. :p)

7. Anthonynotes

Anthonynotes Active Member

A comic channel? Perhaps, assuming A) it covered more than just superhero comics---would like to see other genres covered as well, along with comic strips ; and B) Wizard keeps its obnoxious mitts as far away from such a channel as possible (a magazine that gives a bad name to the word "comic fan")...

Would rather see them rerun certain shows during overnight hours (or maybe run movies) than succumb to paid programming (as if we needed even *more* infomercials on TV)...

-B.

8. desi

desi Active Member

You mean a channel that is basically based on just comic book properties? I think it would require some original programmimg such as "Who wants to be a superhero?" G4 actually had to change it's programming and focus on something other games for it to work. Also, shows like Smallville attract casual watchers and comic book fans. A comic book channel would only attract comic book fans and maybe few casual watchers. I'd sat a 24-hour anime channel would stand a better chance.

9. Antiyonder

Antiyonder Amalgam Universe Overlord
    Staff Member Moderator

This is probably going to get me laughed of the forums, but heck with it.

Back when it was only a video game channel, was it for the older gaming demograph? I wondered if they ever considered airing the older Nintendo cartoons at least in the morning. You know like the Super Mario Bros episodes, Captain N, The Legend Of Zelda, Mega Man, Street Fighters (The USA Cartoon) Sonic The Hedgehog, Earthworm Jim (Does WB still own the rights to the show?).

They could always just make a more consistent modified G4. Make it more of a network for video games/comic books shows as well as anime.

10. Sage Shinigami

Comic strips? I know Dennis the Menace used to be a cartoon...Garfield and Friends and Heathcliff and Marmaduke. Any other in mind?

As far as keeping it from being just superhero comics...well that's what original programming is for. :D Aside from that, all I know of that isn't superheroes are some certain movies. Like Ghost World, Road to Perdition, etc... As far as overnight hours, I guess they could be filled with shows that weren't all that successful--like the live-action Flash and Spider-Man series. It IS better than the infomercials.

How long can you cover games with news stories and previews and cheat tricks before you get bored? Six hours is more than enough--after that even most of the really hardcore games don't even care. That's not the same as a comic book channel.

How would a comic book channel appeal to only comic book fans if it showed shows like Smallville, the live-action Incredible Hulk, and movies like the Spider-Man trilogy, Batman, Superman, etc..?

I think it would need lots and lots of advertising but I think once people got used to it the channel could easily sustain itself.

Edit: There are already two 24 hour anime stations.

11. Antiyonder

Staff Member Moderator

If Adult Swim and Disney were willing to loan (not sell, but get a fee for letting said Network air a show) their properties, then I'd say:

Boondocks, and I think Baby Blues. Maybe Ducktales (Since they're based off the Uncle Scrooge comics). Smurfs was based off a comic book or strip wasn't it?

On the note of comic related shows, would Gargoyles be acceptable in that vain, since it is being continued in comic format?

12. Sage Shinigami

I think it would since for all intents and purposes it is a comic book now, though it MIGHT again become a TV show if enough interest is shown.

But yeah, Boondocks, Baby Blues (forgot about that one) Duck Tales, and Smurfs all work as well. I can't believe I didn't think of them (though Smurfs isn't an American comic, it works just as well I think). :D

13. Antiyonder

Staff Member Moderator

Found some more examples.

- Pretty much any Archies cartoon
    - Drinky Crow

Also, along the lines of Gargoyles, any show that has continued the stories in comic book format or has a successful comic book simply tying into the show. Examples:

- Buffy The Vampire Slayer
    - Sonic The Hedgehog

14. Sketch

Sketch not like those other old guys

On the bright side Marvel isn't tied to Disney anymore so bringing Marvel and DC content together wouldn't be the task it would have been up until recently. Even more so if a 3rd party was used to work out deals for Marvel and DC material. Warner wouldn't buy Marvel but they do have several Marvel series coming to their networks so they get along just fine now.

There's a vast selection of just super hero and other action comic material out there and honestly I'd prefer they focus on that (not all super heroes but little to no emphasis on comedy comics leaving plenty of mystery, horror and general non-super hero action comics material). Reason being, it's actually harder to get some of those comedy comic materials because then they'd have to work with Disney for stuff like Duck Tales. But also because comedy programing has far more venues today than action programing does and being the action fan that I am, I'd like another solice.

I also dissagree with the manga related material but perhaps some very notable ones could be presented in a block. With just Time Warner's stash you could get Viz to build a Shonen Jump brand block (which basically is Toonami right now but I digress... something similar to that could work but classics would be a better focus). Movies like Akira and Ghost in the Shell would also be good choices. Actually... Starz seems like the ideal candidate for the 3rd party. Heck, they could just convert WAM to make this channel and either keep that name or maybe even call it POW (oh, but that might annoy the serious comic fans).

Anyway, here's how I'd structure it.

Mornings - comic related cartoons for children and nostalgics
    Mid-Day - movies, syndicated reruns of comic related live action shows
    Afternoon - comic related cartoons for tweens and teens
    Prime Time - original programing, syndicated reruns, movies, comic related cartoons for teens and adults
    Late Night - movies, syndicated reruns, comic related cartoons for adults

At a bare minimum make use of the entire DC and Marvel cartoon stock but also GI-Joe, Transformers, Ninja Turtles, etc. And if you do comedy then unfortunately I'd recommend leaving Disney stuff alone and focusing on what other media providers can bring. But it sure would be nice to get some of those older Disney toons on the air again. This would also be a great place to air the new season of Spawn along with the old Spawn cartoons.

I'm not to well informed about live action programing but 80s Hulk, Smallville, Heroes, Buffy, Live Action Batman, Green Hornet, Lois and Clark, Live Action Superman, Superboy, Wonder Woman, etc. come to mind.

15. Sage Shinigami

That's pretty much it on the live-action front. Adventures of Superman, Batman, Shazam/Secret of Isis, Wonder Woman, (Adventures of) Superboy, Lois and Clark, The Flash, Swamp Thing, Smallville, the Incredible Hulk, and (if Marvel isn't too ashamed), The Amazing Spider-Man.

There's also Mutant X (though I'm not quite sure on the status of its rights) and Night Man, and if it *must* be added, Heroes.

As far as independent shows go...TMNT, Savage Dragon, Ultraforce, and Spawn, Gargoyles, Tick, Boondocks, and Baby Blues would be a decent start. Who even owns the rights to GI Joe and Transformers?

Actually, the more I think about it, the more I realize that there's more than enough programming from the decades of comic-related shows to do a channel. And nevermind once they get around to doing original programming.

16. KuwabaraTheMan

KuwabaraTheMan Active Member

It could work, and it could be really cool.

Animated and live action comics properties would take up a lot of time, but of course, there should be other new programming as well.

For example, maybe a show where they interview a different comic creator each day, or review shows for current or older comics. That'd be something I'd like to see.

The problem with getting the comics based shows is this:
    The newer ones can't air because they're airing on WB/CN/etc
    The DCAU is on Boomerang

So for the major animated shows, you'd have X-Men Evolution and a bunch of old shows. Even for movies, most of the Marvel movies already have TV deals.

So what could be aired wouldn't exactly be the top pickings of comic based shows and movies.

17. Sketch

Sketch not like those other old guys

You give Time Warner incentive and they'll definently share their DC stock of reruns.

18. Anthonynotes

Anthonynotes Active Member

ALong with the others mentioned, there's also:

- the 90s Mother Goose & Grimm animated series
    - the entire (and quite vast) library of "Peanuts" specials and movies, including the Saturday morning "Charlie Brown and Snoopy Show"
    - the various Garfield specials
    - the Dilbert animated series

-B.

19. Pomegranate

Pomegranate Active Member

A comic book-based TV outlet would be cool, if it were to be widely available on basic cable, that is! It would definitely give TMNT, G.I. Joe, Marvel Comics shows, Toei shows and the shonen anime CN has lost the rights to a home. There's also more than enough programming right now for a new TV station based on comic books.

20. Kury Wagner

Kury Wagner Jizzyboobgirlkury

That would never work. It could be a digital cable or satellite channel, but never basic cable.