1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

ZOMBIE THREAD! Cat Lovers of the World Unite!!!

Discussion in 'Cafe toonzone' started by Frozen, Oct 9, 2001.

1. Frozen

Frozen When Hell freezes over.

This came up in another thread, so I've turned it into a thread of its very own - tell us about your cats!!!

My wife and I, personally, love cats - that's why we have eight of the little critters running 'round right now (but three are kittens, so we only have them for a few more days before they go to their new homes). Before I started living with my wife, I never had cats, so I just used to think they were like, well, just cats. It wasn't until I started living with some that I realised there is no such thing as 'just a cat' - they're like little people, but in cat bodies - and every cat owner knows that cats can talk, in their own special way!

I'll be getting round to posting some cute photos of our cats shortly, but, in the meantime, let's hear about yours!!!

<pauses>

Dang, there goes my cool, 'ice man' image...

2. BourgeoisBuffoon

BourgeoisBuffoon Shouldn't I Be Melting Now...?

...You're still cool, Frozen. :cool:

...Um...bad time to say this, I guess, but two weeks ago one of my cats died, dropping the count to 4 from 5. It's very sad to have to dig a grave for your own pet...he also felt very stiff when I touched him...:(

I have a new kitten two months old, and it does NOT mind clawing you-though it considers that a friendly gesture. It also chases all my other cats...:rolleyes:

Great, now I'm one of those freaky pet story-tellers. Still, more stories to come soon, then! :p

3. Singin' Stray Cat

Singin' Stray Cat Still Alive Somewhere

Oooh, a cat thread...

Sorry one of your cats died, Buffoon...:( I had a cat die from feline leukemia several years ago, but he was a tough lil' guy - lived to be 10 years old. Still, it's hard...

On a brighter note, I have one cat now - and he's enough ;) He's got a lot of funny habits, for example, at the beginning of the week he'll pick a spot to lie down in the house - the middle of the hallway, on top of a couch, in my sister's laundry basket :p - and whenever he wants to sleep, he'll go right back to that same spot every time!

But if you ever want to see something really entertaining - watching our golden retriever try to play with the cat is loads of fun. :D

4. Joe Tully

Joe Tully I want the toilet seat.

Gee, I'd never have thought that SSC would have a cat ;)

There are 2 at my parents' house, so I haven't seen them so much now that I'm off at school, but I do like them a lot. Problem is, my allergies against them seem to be getting worse with age, so I need to try to keep from getting too much hair on me. We've had the oldest one for almost 10 years I think, the younger one is maybe 4 or 5. The old one is fat and lazy while the young one is thin and hyper, so they make an interesting comedy duo.

5. DR. BELCH

DR. BELCH Member

"Heeeeeeeey, Babbott!"
    Sorry...couldn't resist.[​IMG]
    My mother's a cat lover and has had many throughout the years...but the latest was Tiger Lily, who resembled Rita (but with stripes) and was the only cat I ever knew who was actually in love with a dog! Her boyfriend was Pierre, Mom's poodle, and frequently I saw her trying to make out with him (often while he was asleep). Once, after a bath and a haircut, she actually hissed at him because she didn't recognize him--his smell and appearace had completely changed. It was days before she finally took him back!
    One notable Tiger Lily story is the time I left three powdered doughnuts on a plate in my room on the desk. She got up there and ate two. Imagine a kitten racing about the house hopped up on a sugar buzz, if you will.... [​IMG]

6. Joe Tully

Joe Tully I want the toilet seat.

Warning: I am going off on a tangent again.

Cat lovers may be interested in the art of Louis Wain. He has two different styles, one is more cutesy and the other more psychedelic. Many think that the change may have been due to mental problems. For a few good examples of both kinds of his art, go to

http://www.epub.org.br/cm/gallery/gall_leonardo/fig1-a.htm

I prefer the more psychedelic stuff, myself. I read about this guy in my Abnormal Psych. book.

7. Calhoun07

Calhoun07 It's Me

AAAAGHHH! Discrimination! Dog thread will be posted shortly!

8. optimal321

optimal321 The Manhunter from Mars

I once baby-sat (kitten-sat?:D) five or six kittens when my neighbors went on a vacation. But my mom hates animals, so i've never had a pet of my own.

9. BourgeoisBuffoon

BourgeoisBuffoon Shouldn't I Be Melting Now...?

My oldest cat is ten, too-and a cat can live from 10-15 years, usually.

More stories...(evil laughter)

All my cats eat weird things-one eats tomatos, one eats cereal, one eats asparagus, and nearly all drink out of the toilet and eat garbage. NO, I do not have dogs. ;)

Um...one also drinks from the sink and nothing else...we gotta leave the water on when we past by it...

...and admit it: does you cat wake you up early in the morning or in the middle of the night?! One o' mine woke me up at three just to be stroked...:mad:

10. The Mad Hatter

The Mad Hatter Whyyyyy'sis heead so biiiiiig?

I don't have a cat myself... I tend to think that most cats act like the one on Earthworm Jim (you know, Evil the Cat?).

But I do have a cat story. I was sleeping at a friend's place before an early-morning start to a road trip, when his cute little kitten jumps on my chest. I'm still mostly asleep, so I ignore it. He walks up and starts sniffing my slightly parted lips. Again, I ignore it and sleep. Five seconds later, I awake with a mouthful of cat. I have no idea what he was looking for in my mouth, but he rammed his head in there up to his shoulders.

11. Batgirl_2005

Batgirl_2005 Don't I Wish...

OOOOHHH!!!! A KITTY THREAD!!!! ehem... sorry...

anyway.. I only have "1" cat... although... it's large enough that it could be counted as two cats. I'm serious!! he weighs, like, 40 pounds!!!

I'm allergic to cats (and yet they're my favourite animal... is that irony?) and my american long hair sleeps, EVERY NIGHT without fail, on or next to my pillow. And my first hour teacher wonders why I can never breathe...

Boots, my cat, also has a tendency to scrath on my door when it's closed. I sleep one night w/ my door closed and he kept my parents up ALL NIGHT scratching on it... I ended up blocking it out ^.^;

I love my cat. He's seven and a half years old, so he'll be around for a while longer (won't he?) and I'm glad for that...

12. Frozen

Ahhh, the whole 'It's five in the morning, and I want strokes!" thing. Yep, one of our cats, Bogey, without fail, wakes my wife up every morning at five by ever so gently clawing her neck and purring in her ear - just so she can be stroked. Needless to say, it gets a bit annoying!

#12 Frozen, Oct 11, 2001
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2001
  13. Trent Lane

Trent Lane How can that be?!

We've got eight cats, and I love them all. They're all different breeds, too- two MaineCoons(sp?), Russian Blue, Norwiegen Forrest Cat(I kid you not), Manx, a Tabico, and two American short hairs. Three of them are under a year old, so needless to say the house is full of noise 24-7...

14. TuffyCatt

TuffyCatt Half Kneazle

Yeah!! Cat thread!!! I LOVE cats! :D

Okay, I have two cats, Tuffy and Topaz. Tuffy belongs to me (I belong to Tuffy...) and its kinda special because he doesn't really like anyone else. He's a Himalayan Seal Lynx point, but he doesn't have the ugly smashed face like most long-haired cats. I've had Tuffy since I was in the second grade, and he's about seven now. As I've gotten older, we both have gotten closer, because I think when I was little I'd bother him a lot by constantly picking him up and stuff. Tuffy and I can also talk to each other...I'll stare at him (we have to make eye contact, or it doesn't work) and meow at him, and in a couple seconds he'll meow back. This is one of the few times he'll actually make noise, he's a very quiet cat. Anyway, I know I'm kinda crazy, but I really love my cat...:D

We got Topaz about two years ago...he was a stray orange tabbie that someone brought into my parents' animal hospital. We think that he had been hit by a car. I remember the first time I saw him the tag on his cage said "broken butt", because both of his back legs had been badly broken. We later found out that one of his front legs was also slightly fractured. I fell in love with him, and convinced my parents to let us keep him. I named him Topaz because of his beautiful Topaz colored eyes. He's a lot better now and can walk and run just fine. However, he has trouble jumping vertically, so he has to climb up things. He also has a very scrawny butt and still limps and drags his back legs across the floor sometimes. He has the funniest meow...he squeaks and sometimes when he opens his mouth to meow, nothing comes out! :p

Sorry for my extremely long ramble...I can talk for very long periods of time about my cats! :D

15. Singin' Stray Cat

Singin' Stray Cat Still Alive Somewhere

Aww :) Your cats sound very cute, TuffyCatt! Everyone's does - and I can certainly empathize with those of you whose cats wake you up at odd hours in the morning.

Dusty (my cat) has almost mastered the art of waking someone up - he jumps on the bed, then walks across the body of whoever he's trying to get up (me or mom, usually), then jumps off before we can do anything to him! :D He usually gets away with it too - he's almost solid black, which is hard to see in the dark.

Dusty's a long-haired mix of some kind, but thankfully he doesn't have a snub nose either. (I don't like those, their faces look like they've been struck repeatedly with something blunt and heavy, something I don't like to envision :( ) He's not an overly "cuddly" cat, but can be very affectionate sometimes, especially when he's in the mood for a nice warm lap to sleep in ;)

16. Trent Lane

Trent Lane How can that be?!

Yeah, I've fallen victim to the midnight cat attacks also. The slightest movment of your foot under the blankets and my Manx Bob flies thru the air and starts wrestling your foot. That'll mess with you if you're really good asleep...

17. TuffyCatt

TuffyCatt Half Kneazle

Tuffy will occasionally wake me me up in the middle of the night. It seems like he especially enjoys it when I need the sleep! ;) He will sometimes jump up on my bed and promptly curl up on my face (and with the huge amount of fur on my cat, I get my eyes and mouth filled with a lot of Himalayan fur), or he likes to jump on me and knead my stomach, while purring very loudly. It can be a very interesting way to be woken up at 3 A.M.

18. Frozen

One of our cats, Chyna, has just been to the cats to be newtured (and no, I have no idea how to spell that!), and she's fine, running around, no wobbliness or anything, which I find wierd because when we had one of the other girl-cats, Harley Quinn, done, she was really wobbly and woozy for a full day afterwards... Anyway, getting back to the point, so the vet has done Chyna, and said she's fine etc - but she has to stay in FOR A WHOLE TWO WEEKS!!! Jeez - don't vets know the first thing about cats!? WE can't keep Chyna in for TWO HOURS, never mind two weeks!!! :rolleyes: :D

19. TuffyCatt

TuffyCatt Half Kneazle

Yeah, I know its tough, but that's the best way to let her heal. If you let her out w/out supervision, she might do something to the stitches and it would take a whole lot longer to heal.

As for her being up and about so quickly, it just depends on the cat. Some get over the anesthesia faster than others.

Oh, just to clarify, females get spayed and males get neutered. Hope I'm not sounding like a know it all, I wouldn't know any of this if my parents weren't vets... :cool::p

20. Rae

Rae Guest

Hey, if you hadn't said it I would.:p :D And I know how hard it is to keep a cat indoors. My little cat Gus just got back from the vet's today after being neutered and declawed and he's been trying to make an escape out the front door when anybody comes in. I feel so bad for him, though. He's still a little groggy and is favoring his right front paw. Poor guy...:(