1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Zeta's Body Change

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by clownkingofcrime, Jun 13, 2009.

1. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

How can a drawing change its own design:confused: I think I've answered the question intelligently more than once now. If none of those satisfy you I'll just go to my ace in the hole card. A wizard did it:p

2. langden alger

langden alger Active Member

there you go. you answered it yourself...i'm sure the producers and writers would just tell you to accept that he just built a new head for himself somewhere along the way....things like that can sometimes be just left up to the veiwers imagination....no real wrong answers. the batman beyond ep. was really kinda a backdoor pilot ep. for the zeta project. we all know how drastically a show can change it's look after a pilot episode airs.

3. TemporalFlux

TemporalFlux Member

Yeah, but Superman was still suffering from stomach cancer in season one; after it went into remission in season two, he was able to start eating again and looked much better.

[​IMG]

4. Alph

Alph Active Member

I don't think it was just a redesign. There's too much of a physical difference.

Plus, the zeta bots in JL and JLU have the original head. Why would they go back to the first design, if it technically was retconned out of existence?

I think Zeta just gave himself a new head while he was modifying himself to be without weapons.

5. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Well yea lots of times redesigns usually do have radical differences. I would'vt say the original head was retconned. BT and crew didn't work on the Zeta Project so I don't think it mattered which model they used. They just went with that one. He could've given himself a new head. It'd be a good in stow reason why he has the new head. But I'm pretty sure its a redesign to make him more appealing.

6. Toddman

Toddman Hulk not good with words.

Dude...what have we been discussing through the majority of this thread?

I thought the Superman re-design was a clear example that a character's model can change within the run of a series and simply reflect an artistic decision that doesn't require any kind of in-story explanation. Apparently not.

Okay then, I submit two further examples as proof that the Zeta switch was not unprecidented in the DCAU.

First, let's go back to the Joker as he appeared within the artistic realm of Batman Beyond. Here is the Joker's image from a an old wanted poster in the episode "Shriek." Clearly he is sporting his TNBA look:

[​IMG]

And here is his image from ROTJ (notice that the images on the bat-computer screens are even images of him from the TNBA timeframe):

[​IMG]

See? In-series re-design, no storyline explanation offered.

Example number two: Batman in Static Shock. Here's Bats in his TNBA design as he appeared in "Hard as Nails":

[​IMG]

A few episodes later in "A League of Their Own", he shows up in his JL re-design.

[​IMG]

But look! Still later here he is in "Future Shock" back to his TNBA model:

[​IMG]

Again, no explanation required other than artistic license. This example particularly applies in the Zeta comparison as Batman was reflecting the look of TNBA, then JL, then TNBA again. When Zeta re-appeared in BB's "Countdown" he (along w/Ro) was similarly reflecting the look of his own solo series.

Members of the jury, Your Honor... I rest my case.

Toddman

7. clownkingofcrime

I do not what you mean, but what I mean is that I think that Zeta changed his body himself that is why he looks different after "Zeta", but then other people may have other ideas of how he changed.

But that is allowed because one was a movie and was an episode in the series.

I agree.

8. Toddman

As you seem to be selectively ignoring my examples of Superman in Justice League and Batman in Static Shock, not to mention making up "rules" as you go along ("one was a movie and one was an episode"...?), I officially give up. :shrug:

Toddman

9. clownkingofcrime

Superman in Justice League was like most of the other characters in Season 1, for Season 2 there was sort of a revamp with the way some of the characters looked (like Superman) and the animation all around got better, sort of like BTAs to TNBA, TNBA is part of BTAS, but its the fourth volume and its a revamped version. In Batman Beyond, "Zeta" to "Countdown", there was nothing like that, everything stayed the same except Zeta.

10. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

THERE WAS NO REVAMP FROM JL SEASON 1 TO SEASON 2.

I mean seriously man this is getting tiring.

- Slight character designs are not a revamp
    - Better animation is not a revamp

Zeta changed because he had a different model in the ZP. Nothing more, it would look jarring if he had his original model in COuntdown yet a different one on his own show. If you're not going to pay attention to other post members why bother posting a thread if you are just going to disregard things because they're aren't some fan fiction type answer.

11. clownkingofcrime

Okay, your right about me saying revamp, wrong choice of words, its just the same thing that happened in Justice League (which was not revamped), did not happen in Batman Beyond, so I think there should be a reason why Zeta looks different, it would help if this was said on screen, but it was not, so I think it would be cool if other people thought of it.

Alph had this to say:
    These are the types of answers I was looking for, different or similar to this, right now most people have had the same answer, it was just a redesign, thank you for saying that, but have some evidence of that, besides pictures of when it happens in other series, I would also like other answers besides "it was just a redesign".

12. Toddman

Okay, I know I said that I officially give up, but really through the course of any given day I say a lot of things I never intend to follow up on...

SO - even though I'm sure this is obviously not the kind of answer you're looking for... maybe you should be directing the same question you have about Zeta's change-up to Agent Bennett.

After all, in "Zeta" and "Plague", he went from looking like this:

[​IMG]

To looking like this in "Countdown":

[​IMG]

:eek:

T:pddman

13. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Good Morning!

But is was just a redesign. Jeez Louise! If you just wanted a fictitious account explaining the transformation instead of an actual one, you should have specified that in your original post.

14. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Was Bennet still played by Curtwood Smith in the original episode?

15. clownkingofcrime

I cannot really tell the differnces between those two pictures, because one is of him farther away, but I will watch the episodes again.

Like one line under Bennet's chin was taken away in "Countdown". It was barely noticeable. I don't think it was a physical change, so that was a redesign. But Zeta changed completely, which still makes me think there was a different reason why Zeta looks different.

16. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Agent Bennet looks a bit younger to me in the Countdown design since his head was larger there and there wasn't a line right across his cheek like there was in the first picture.

17. Toddman

The change was much more significant than simply removing one line. Different hairline, different eyebrows, different nose, different mouth, even the color of his suit is different. (And by the way Wonderwall -- Joe Spano played Bennett in "Zeta" and "Plague." :))

Before:

[​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]

Besides which, how "noticable" a change is in a character's design is completely subjective. A change is a change. When discussing Superman's transformation from JL Season 1 to JL Season 2 (which was much less of a makeover than Bennett's I might add), you yourself labeled the change a complete series revamp. But there was no series revamp in either Batman Beyond nor Justice League.

Sometimes a redesign is just a redesign.

Toddman

18. clownkingofcrime

I regret saying there was a revamp in Justice League, misuse of words, and I never said there was a revamp in Batman Beyond. I think Superman changed more in between Justice League than Agent Bennet did. But thanks for pointing out the other differences between "Zeta"/"Plague" and "Countdown" of the Agent Bennet design. I did not notice these changes, because of the same thing I said earlier, they were almost unnoticeable.
    Can we get back to discussing Zeta's two different looks in Batman Beyond?

His suit is allowed to change, its not like people's clothing in real life is always the same. That was one thing that was cool in The Zeta Project, Zeta and Ro changed their clothing a lot.

19. Goodfellow

Goodfellow Active Member

Being that I never liked Zeta, I can't say much, but I also think it was weird to change his look. His initial form was unique and original looking, whereas the second form was just blah. They could have at least had Terry ask him what happened when he reappeared in that Batman Beyond episode.

20. ABrown

ABrown Active Member

Ya know, I'll agree that there was no explanation needed for the changes made from Batman:TAS to TNBA. But the case with Zeta, I would've liked an explanation. I have to admit, that when I saw the design for the show, I kinda felt a little dumb. I didn't know if I was just supposed to understand why there was a difference, or if I had missed something important. I mean this isn't something that I lost any sleep over. But like I said, an explanation would've been nice.