1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Zeta's Body Change

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by clownkingofcrime, Jun 13, 2009.

1. clownkingofcrime

I bet this has been discussed before, but I think it should be thought about again and I am unable to find any original threads about this. My question is, How did Zeta go from
    this
    [​IMG]
    to
    this
    [​IMG]

2. Toddman

Toddman Hulk not good with words.

It happened the same way the Scarecrow changed from this:

[​IMG]

To this:

[​IMG]

And the Joker switched from this:

[​IMG]

To this:

[​IMG]

Toddman

3. clownkingofcrime

I get what you mean, but it does not make sense in Batman Beyond with "Zeta" and "Countdown", because there was no revamp of the Batman Beyond series. The changes from BTAS to TNBA make sense because the series was entirely revamped. As for Scarecrow changing in BTAS, well that could also be interpreted as Scarecrow just getting a new mask. About the Joker's change, well his TNBA look was from TNBA, and his Justice League/Return of the Joker look was from Justice League/Return of the Joker, not TNBA and the Justice League/Return of the Joker look of Joker was never in TNBA.

4. Toddman

Then it must have happened the same way it happened to this guy:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Toddman

5. AdamYJ

AdamYJ The Saturday Morning Kid

It's just a redesign. Specifically a redesign that came with Zeta getting his own show. They don't need to explain it.

6. clownkingofcrime

That was a series revamp, Justice League Season 1's character designs and animation was revamped when Justice League Season 2 started. That did not happen in Batman Beyond.

7. clownkingofcrime

Well why did his redesign look this way? Maybe this could also be interpreted as Zeta changing his head to look more like a human?

8. Toddman

:confused: Justice League did not receive a revamp in either design nor animation between seasons one and two. Superman and Wonder Woman each had a "facelift", but that's all.

On the other hand, The Zeta Project had a completely different style and look from that of Batman Beyond. When Zeta was designed for his own series, the series producers no doubt felt it was important that their main character have an actual face and head, so he looked vastly different from his characater model in BB. His new design followed him when he appeared later in "Countdown", just as the Joker's new design followed him from ROTJ to JL/U.

Toddman

9. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Good Morning!

With all due respect, clownkingofcrime, I think that you're reading too much into this. What happened with Zeta was nothing more than a redesign job done by the artists/animators. No on air explanation is required.

Perhaps the shows' artists felt that Zeta's new head would look make him more humanoid than the boomerang shaped head. I don't know, but I honestly don't think that why it happened is important to the series' continuity.

#9 Goldstar Neo, Jun 13, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2009
  10. clownkingofcrime

Maybe there was not a total revamp like BTAS to TNBA, but there was also other changes besides Superman and Wonder Woman. Flash's suit got darker, the same thing sort of happened with Batman's suit. The animation changed a little in between Season 1 and Season 2 in Justice League just like what happened in between the two seasons of The Zeta Project. The animation was definitely better and definitely changed in Justice League Season 2.

11. Pfeiffer-Pfan

Pfeiffer-Pfan Makin' Whoopee!

Zeta got his own series... his creators/ designers decided for re-vamp him for any number of reasons.

The most plausible is that they wanted him to be able to express emotions... hence the eyes, etc.

Don't read into things too much!

12. Bird Boy

Bird Boy WF Admin
    Staff Member Moderator

The color palette changed because there was a calibration issue between the PCs used in the US and the PCs used overseas. If things had been set up properly from the start, season 1 would look identical to season 2.

-BB

13. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Like Bird Boy said. The colours were never meant to look the way they did on the first season. Animation also doesn't really fall under revamp. They just storyboarded better and had higher standards of what it should look like. Bruce said it best "It's good. Now make it great." That went for almost everything from bgs, writing, etc. There was no revamp from season 1 to 2 unless being a better show is a revamp.

As for Zeta's head. Well like the others mentioned, there is no on screen explanation given or needed. Like with Aquaman in STAS, he didn't look like he did in JL but the characters treat him like nothings changed. For real world reasons, I would say one reason is that Zeta Project needed its own look and feel. Also it'd be hard to visually identify with something that has no eyes, nose, mouth, and barely a head.

14. AlgeaX

AlgeaX Oh, hello?

I imagine the art team on The Zeta Project were worried that folks would find it hard to empathise with a guy with a boomerang for a head.

15. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I don't think that there's much to Zeta's design change. In Batman Beyond, he wasn't really able to show off emotions in his robot form. With the design he got in his own series, he looked a bit more like a human in his robot form, which possibly helped the audience to sympathize with him, generally speaking that is. I don't really see any kind of hidden deep message in there. I just see it as a simple design change. I have seen that in other shows that don't go through a time skip.

16. Toddman

Exactly right. Furthermore, while all of JL Season 1 was animated entirely by one studio (Dong Yang/Koko), the episodes from JL Season 2 were being animated by a rotation of three different studios (Dong Yang/Koko, Dong Woo and DR Movie), which in my opinion helped the animation of the series greatly.

Really, the recalibration of the color palette and the use of new animation studios for JL is no more a revamp than the re-casting of Barbara Gordon and the switch from traditional cel animation to digital animation was halfway through the run of Batman Beyond.

Toddman

17. clownkingofcrime

Aquaman changed when put in a new series from STAS to JL, but Zeta completely changed from "Zeta" to "Countdown" in Batman Beyond, so there is no excuse, unless Zeta changed his body himself.

18. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

As others have stated, I think you're reading far too much into this. It was just a design change, a decision made by the artists, nothing more. Most likely Zeta's look was changed in order to make the character more appealing; with a boomerang-shaped head he wouldn't have garnished much sympathy from viewers.

I don't get why there needs to be a canonical reason; everything in a cartoon doesn't require a detailed explanation.

#18 Silverstar, Jun 14, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2009
  19. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

But there is an excuse. In fact its the same one that Aquaman has here. Zeta Project started airing before Countdown aired. So technically he changed when he to was put into a new series as well. Scarecrow had 2 different designs in the initial run of BTAS? I don't see you harping on that.

P.S. Im not encouraging you to look into Scarecrow. Just using it as yet another example of a design change that was just done because the creators obviously felt the need to change it.

20. clownkingofcrime

About Scarecrow, read my post earlier about what another person said about him, Scarecrow's change can be interpreted as him just getting a new mask, instead of a redesign that is not noticed by other people in the story as him getting a new mask.

As for Zeta, how do you know he did not just change his body himself?