1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Zero Tolerance

Discussion in 'Comic Book Culture' started by Stu, Jan 20, 2003.

1. Stu

Stu Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
    Staff Member Administrator

Hey all
    I was wondering if any of you could tell me what Zer Tolerance was about. I recently bought the X-men Next Dimension game and it its a sequel type deal. Apprantly someone has put Bastion (a villian who I have never heard of) back together. Now everything is screwed up and I just wanted to know the backstory for the game. Also if you could tell me who desinged all the new X-men costumes as they all look like tools and it will take me days to unlock the decent Ultimate and Spandex costumes :)

2. Kenobi

Kenobi Member

Well that's easy to answer for ya.

Zero Tolerance was something that Bastion put together under the sanction of the US Gov't.

It started when waaaay back in the mid-80's (during Marc Silvestri's run) when all the X-Men got sucked into the Siege Perilous, some big gem/gateway thingy that judged you and put you in a new position and place in life depending on how it judged you, so anywho, a Master Mold and a Nimrod sentinel got sucked in at the same time and made Bastion. (If you didn't know already)

So then Bastion started about a year before the Zero Tolerance actually took place, and started kidnapping regular Joe Shmoe people and implanting them with Sentinel technology, making them more or less sleeper agents that could be normal people one minute and mutant hating Prime Sentinels the next.

So finally this plan gets set into motion and most of the active X-Men at the time got kidnapped by Bastion and put into captivity where he put a bomb in Cyclops's chest (which got disarmed by Cable I think). Then there was Prof. Xavier who was already in Gov't custody because of Onslaught. Bastion made him watch the whole thing happen as his dream, "fell apart" for the like millionth time. Oh and he also had Jubliee captive while White Queen took all the other Gen Xer's to some Canadian mansion she had to protect them.

Then in New York, Iceman has to protect a newly discovered mutant named Ceclia Reyes from the Prime Sentinels that are crawling all over Manhattan, then he gets a little help from Spider-Man and Marrow as well.

It all came to an end when Sen. Kelly who put the whole thing up for the Gov't to sanction, had his guilt get too much of him so he got an Army platoon together to go and arrest Bastion.

Then he was arrested and put into the same Gov't prison that Prof. X was being held in.

That's about it, I'm just a walking encyclopedia of X-Men knowledge so ask any further questions if you feel...

3. Stu

Stu Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
    Staff Member Administrator

Thanks Kenobi.
    It would have been nice to see an FMV explaining this. How did Prof X get out of the goverments custody?

4. Samhaine

Samhaine Time To Relax

He basically convinced the Brotherhood to break him out, AND follow him. Don't try to make too much sense of it, though. The storyline came at the tail-end of the Seagle/Kelly run on the books, where they did almost none of the actually writing (Mark Powers did it for them). The art wasn't bad, for the most part.

Xavier's return happened at least a year after Zero Tolerance ended, or 2 years (roughly) after he gave himself up after the Onslaught thing.

5. Samhaine

Samhaine Time To Relax

Half, actually. It was Storm, Wolverine, Cyclops, Jean Grey, and Cannonball. The others (for those playing at home, were Bishop, though still in space, Gambit, Rogue, Beast, Joseph, and Trish Tilby) were in Antarctica at the time, taken captive by Magneto (posing as Erik the Red, assumedly to make it an even bigger surprise to the X-Men that they had two Mags on their hands later).

And Cable didn't get rid of the bomb (although he did try to protect the mansion from Bastion). It was Cecila, using Marrow's bones as crude tools. Scott and Jean soon left for Alaska to recuperate.

But I didn't know about the Bastion origin (never got around to reading the two annuals from '98). Thanks!

6. Kenobi

Kenobi Member

Well he asked the Brotherhood to break him out because Cerebro, who had gained sentience when Bastion used it when he stormed the mansion during Zero Tolerance, was after the Professor.

I was very much frustrated and pleased with that storyline. Frustrated because they totally wasted what could've been cool characters with those Evil X-Men of Cerebro's and pleased with the fact that it brought back my three favorite X-Men back to the core books, Shadowcat, Collosous, and Nightcrawler.