1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Yvonne (BATGIRL) Craig has died

Discussion in 'DC Live-Action Movies and Television' started by Road to Gotham, Aug 19, 2015.

1. Road to Gotham

Road to Gotham Well-Known Member

2. dmxx116

dmxx116 Well-Known Member

If it wasn't for her playing Batgirl in this show there be no Batgirl in the comics and in other media today.

R.I.P Yvonne Craig

• Agree Agree x 1
    #2 dmxx116, Aug 19, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2015
  3. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

My first childhood crush. RIP, Yvonne, you'll be missed.

• Like Like x 1
  4. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

I kinda remember on other things too, like Twilight Zone or something, but never really recognized her because she was Batgirl. Too bad, they won't be able 2 utilize her for the dtv of Batman '66.

R.I.P.

Sent from my LGMS323 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  5. Mr. Hypocrite

Mr. Hypocrite Detective. Hero. Hypocrite.

Well, I'm kinda glad I didn't change my profile pic now.

RIP Batgirl. We may not know where you came from, and we may not know where you'll go, but we will always remember.

Man, it seems like people have just been dropping like flies lately. It's getting crazy.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm not sure if it was Batman: The Animated Series or the '66 show that first introduced me to Batgirl, but the latter's portrayal of her was always very iconic in my mind as I'm sure it was for many kids growing up alongside the show and particularly for girls.

RIP Ms. Craig, and thank you for bringing to life such a great character from the Batman mythos :).

7. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

RIP Yvonne Craig. Her portrayal of Batgirl was pretty awesome and I thought she was a great addition to the cast of the show.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. The Old Maid

The Old Maid Voice in the wilderness

Over the years I've been strict about the Bat-females, especially when I suspect that they really were created to boost ratings. A Disqus poster named Loki1001 (and I can't figure out how to link to his comment or I'd just do that) commented on female characters thusly:

{quote}
    A few years ago there were a bunch of think pieces about how misogynistic fans hated the wives in dramas (Skyler on Breaking Bad, Carmela on the Sopranos, Lori on the Walking Dead, etc.). While a lot of that hate was expressed in misogynistic fashion, the actual dislike had nothing to do with misogyny but was rooted in terrible writing.

The wife character is written as a problem to be solved. The protagonist has to negotiate around her to achieve his wants, and no matter how awful that protagonist is (Walter White) the audience will always side with him over the character whose literal role in the story is to kill the fun. The wife becomes a constant source of irritation because she is not a character, but a walking conflict generator. This is most obvious with Lori who is inexplicably obstinate, contradictory, and stupid. Had someone "accidentally" shot Lori in the head at least 50% of The Walking Dead's problems would have been solved. (posted in Disqus August 19, 2015) {/quote}

(Note: I've never seen any of the series mentioned, but the point is valid.)

Yvonne Craig's Batgirl may have been partly a gimmick, a device, but she made it something greater. A dancer who did her own stunts, a gutsy character who got the same quality of writing as the other characters, and a classy person of her own. She was not a problem to be solved, and that has made all the difference.

Without her, we wouldn't have had Bat-women (some weak, but some strong), Linda Carter's Wonder Woman, Star Trek's female starship captains, or the marvelous women of Marvel such as Gamora or Black Widow.

Rest in peace, Yvonne Craig.

9. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

Any word on when that DTV is coming out?

10. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

No, it was never announced. However, we know both original actors for Batman and Robin recorded their roles already. It was also said to be a two-parter. So we'll see. Craig may have recorded, but with health problems, it seems unlikely.

Sent from my LGMS323 using Tapatalk

11. BartWinkle

BartWinkle Active Member

R.I.P. Yvonne.