"Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal" Toonzai Talkback

Discussion in 'The Anime Forum' started by Chaos Yoshi Mage, Oct 15, 2011.

1. Chaos Yoshi Mage

Chaos Yoshi Mage The Lonely Raven

Here's a talkback for the English dub of Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal, for the Japanese airing go here. Please, refrain from spoilers for upcoming story lines as the dub episodes air.

Summary:
    In the near future, an energetic youth, Yuma Tsukumo, is aiming to become a Duel Monsters champion despite his current lack of skills. He may not be the best, but when top duelist, Shark defeats Yuma's friend Bronk Stone and takes his deck, Yuma steps up to the challenge. During their duel a spirit who calls himself Astral appears to Yuma. Now a new legend begins with Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal! Are you ready to feel the flow?

[​IMG][​IMG]

Episodes:
    Episode 1: Feel the Flow, Part 1
    Episode 2: Feel the Flow, Part 2
    Episode 3: In the End, Part 1
    Episode 4: In the End, Part 2
    Episode 5: Flipping Out, Part 1
    Episode 6: Flipping Out, Part 2
    Episode 7: The Sparrow, Part 1
    Episode 8: The Sparrow, Part 2

Episodes air at 9:30 A.M. on Toonzai on the CW4kids Saturdays, and stream in both English and Japanese with English Subs the following Monday on Toonzaki.com.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2011
  2. FFmax

FFmax Pangoro's Bizarre Adventure

I liked the premiere, I think it's an interesting approach to have such young main character who isn't a pro at dueling immediately. While I didn't care for the one dimensional bully scenario I liked everything else. I'll also admit that this anime is just gorgeous, the animation is really good and the monsters look cool too.

3. Mohji

Mohji Member

After watching the first episode, I feel that Zexal is off to a pretty good start. It definitely fits on Toonzai much better than 5D's did in terms of storyline and characters, so I'm hoping it brings in some good ratings for the block.

4. DonkeyKongSong

DonkeyKongSong Active Member

Another thing that sets this series apart from the previous three is the Duel Gazers, which basically make the monster holograms look real (like that big fish thing making a hole in the ground that vanished after the gazers were removed) but once removed it's all gone. That's a good way to make realistic action without being too ridiculous (like Ancient Gear Golem falling on Crowler in GX or that water card hitting Joey in the original DM).

And of course, I agree about not making Yuma a champ immediately. Nice way to set it.

5. Daxdiv

Daxdiv The Fool!

I will admit that I still like the rookie approach with Yuma, since it does make him more interesting than someone that already knows their way around a deck. Sure it is kind of laughable for me since I am someone that knows how the game works and all. At least it doesn't make him like the John Cena or Randy Orton of card games.

Though, I do love some of the voices in this dub, even though it was brief, I love Astral's new voice. I knew when I heard Marc Thompson being his voice, it would be somewhat similar to the voice he gave Commander Saturn.

6. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator

The Duel Gazers feel more like a weird step in the direction for the duel technology than anything else for me. The duel holograms looked real with the previous Duel disks and it feels odd to go from holograms that everyone could see through Solid Vision to holograms that people need Duel Gazers in order to see them. It feels more like a gimmick to make the duelists look cooler with the Duel Gazers to me. Though, it does make me wonder how they look to other people who aren't wearing a Duel Gazer, which kind of makes it unintentionally funny.

One thing about this episode that didn't make sense to me was how Shark wanted to keep Bronk's deck and was only interested in dueling Yuma if he put his deck on the line. I'm pretty sure that Shark didn't want to trash the loser's deck in the original version like he mentioned here. It doesn't really make much sense unless there are rare cards in their decks and since Shark defeated Bronk, that shows that both his deck and his skills were stronger, so wanting it, even if it was a bet, seems kind of weird.

Anyway, I think that this was a rather decent start to the series. I liked the idea of starting off with a character who isn't already good at the game and most of the voices kind of worked for me. I didn't really like Shark's voice for the most part, but most everyone else was at least okay. I didn't get much of a feel of Astral's voice, but I'll probably get a better impression on it in the next episode.

I'm kind of surprised that 4Kids didn't keep Yuma's desire to be a Duel Champion. I know that he said that he would get to the Duel Nationals someday to Bronk, but I was sure that they were going to keep the term Duel Champion. It still reminds me of a Yu-Gi-Oh! version of a Pokemon Master, except perhaps not as vague, so I thought that they would keep it. I forget if there was more of a reason as to why Shark crushed Yuma's pendent in the original version or not. I agree that the duels do look really cool. With the buildings and roads being destroyed, it makes the duel look really cool and the animation is pretty good. Though, aside from the needed Duel Gazers, I don't really like the screens that pop up between the two duelists. I can understand that for maybe people on the sidelines, but it feels kind of unnecessary between the two duelists when they're just a couple feet away from each other. I'm still not hopeful with how well Zexal could do on the block, but I'm curious to see how they handle next week's episode.

7. D Dubbs

D Dubbs Wish Upon A Star

Was I the only one who thought Bronk was given something of a Brooklyn accent, like Joey's?

Anyway, I agree it's a good start to the series. Explaining the rules of the game is something the anime should have done 10 years ago (I myself remembered being pretty confused at first with Duel Monsters). And I definitely prefer the lighter color scheme compared to the dull and dreary colors of 5D's. Looking forward to seeing more of Astral next week.

8. DonkeyKongSong

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it was supposed to be looking cool as well, but I just like the way they deal with it. I remember being confused when Crowler got crushed by Ancient Gear Golem in the first episode of GX, and sometimes it was so confusing thinking "Is this a hologram or another Shadow Duel?"

I remember that too:sweat: I'm pretty sure they did explain it early on in GX though.

9. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator

I'm not sure if it was a Brooklyn accent, but I thought that Bronk sounded like he was some kind of street-wise short of ring to his voice. Though, I wouldn't be surprised if they did give him a Brooklyn accent if they're going for reference to their DM dub.

To be fair, I don't think that the Yu-Gi-Oh! card game was released when the Duel Monsters series started, so they couldn't explain much more beyond the basic stronger monster wins in a fight and the then Magic and Trap cards. I think that they were still following the rules that were in the manga at the beginning of the series. Though, at this point, I do think it's a good move to explain the basic concept of the game, especially when Zexal is specifically aimed at kids who aren't as familiar with either the previous series or the card game. I am glad that 4Kids didn't have those cut scenes that showed the cards and/or explained their effects like they did in 5D's. It felt out of place most of the time and a rather pointless inclusion when the dialogue in the show explained the card's effects. I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't want to waste the money on doing that again here with Zexal.

I never was that confused with Crowler getting crushed by the pieces of Ancient Gear Golem. I just took it as a sign of comedy relief, which would make sense given how Crowler was treated as the comedy relief kind of villain in the first half of GX's first season. I'll admit that these duels actually do look rather cool to look at, but I think that it has more to do with the animation and the color scheme rather than the Duel Gazers themselves.

The fact that they need these Duel Gazers in order to see the holograms still feels like an odd direction for the technology to take. I can see why they would do it from a marketing standpoint to make the characters look cooler when they duel, but it doesn't make a lot of sense in the context of the franchise when they've been able to create holograms through Solid Vision that everyone can see. I still have this mental image of people not wearing Duel Gazers watching the characters duel and just see them throwing cards on their Duel Disks and jumping around holograms that they can't see. It makes the Duel Gazers feel more unintentionally funny than anything else to me. Though, I do remember when the promotion pictures for the series first came out and so many people disliked the Duel Gazers. Personally, they look less silly than I thought that they would be, despite the technology issues I have with it.

I really love the look for the new Duel Disks though. They're kind of small, but I like the solid colors for them. Whenever the next World Championship game comes out for either the DS or 3DS, I'm hoping that I can get Shark's blue Duel Disk, although I'll probably have to start out with a red one like Yuma's.

I wonder if 4Kids changed the name of the city. I forget if that was mentioned in any information 4Kids released about the dub. One thing I forgot to mention earlier was the design of the city, Heartland. It does look colorful and bright, but the design just feels really generic to me. It looks a lot like many futuristic cities that I've seen in other shows before, except with just more color. New Domino City at least looked pretty impressive with its technology, but I think Heartland is suppose to be smaller by comparison. It's not much of an issue in the grand scheme of things, but it's just something I came to mind when watching the episode.

10. D Dubbs

D Dubbs Wish Upon A Star

11. Vernikova

Vernikova ★ No One's Dream Anymore ☆

It was a pretty good first episode. I still don't know how the newest summoning works (perhaps I missed that part?) but I'm sure they'll explain it some time soon. The animation is pretty good so I can't complain about that. I don't really see anything wrong with it besides the generic rival but it's just the first episode so I can let that slide and see what happens later on since he apparently has a voice in his head. I thought it was a pretty good first episode to be honest.

12. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator

I'm not too surprised that they left Kattobing as it is. I don't think that there's any proper English translation they could have given it for either the dub or sub. I haven't seen it yet, but I think that it has the same accuracy as their 5D's subs and I've also heard that they actually keep the preview for the next episode subbed, which they didn't do for 5D's. I think that they gave an answer as to why they didn't do that for 5D's on their Toonzaki Facebook page at one point, but I don't remember what it is exactly.

They did explain how the newest summoning, Xyz summon, works when Shark defeated Bronk. Basically, when you have two monsters of the same level, you can overlay them, although I don't know if the dub uses that term or not, to summon an Xyz monster that has the same Rank as that level. So, if a person overlays two level three monsters like Shark did, then you'd get a Rank 3 Xyz monster. For me, its basically an easier version of Synchro summoning without the use of Tuners. I don't think that Shark is as much of a generic bully/rival in the original version as he is in the dub. The voice in his head will probably be explained in the next episode.

13. ChibiGoku

ChibiGoku Something Not Quite Right

So, I did catch the dub, but I didn't pay much attention to it. Though, I did notice several alterations to it, particularly some dialogue, skirt lengthening and Astral having a glow added to his crotch region (which I'll assume will also be covering any butt shots that show up in the following episodes).

At any rate, I sat down and watched the episode in full from the Hulu upload. Other than the fact the subtitles go out of sync (about 2-3 seconds by the end), the subtitles were edited well, translation seemed accurate and flowed well. Though, was interesting to see 4Kids go with Kattobing, as opposed to translating it. Does make a few sentences seem weird. But that was really my only quirk with it.

One thing that surprised me is they subtitled the preview. I'm wondering if the preview being subtitled had to do with the fact there is that quiz at the start of the ending sequence. Though, if that was the case, they could've cut the preview and gone straight to the answer segment. So who knows.

Anyways, as for the actual episode, having only previously skimmed over it in raw format, I really enjoyed the episode. The animation was... surprisingly pretty consistent and actually well done. Though, I suspect this won't last and we'll probably see the Dong Woo Animation return in the next couple of episodes (studio that co-produced Yugioh GX and was uncredited for their work on Yugioh 5D's). One thing that's a nice change was the fact that Yuma is not a know-it-all when it comes to the card game, unlike the past 3 protagonists. He actually makes mistakes and doesn't completely realize what he's doing.

I'm kinda hoping we get some sort of plot within the next couple of episodes, since this mostly focused on character development, with some elements to things to come. Though, I've been hearing this series has a lot of two parters. Guess I'll see if that's a good thing or not. :sweat:

14. Divinenega

Divinenega New Member

I;ll be honest. It doesn;t really get all that interesting till around episode 13 when a certain character shows up.

15. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator

I think episode 10 is when it started getting interesting, but that episode is interesting as well and I think that's when the plot really starts rolling along. The first few duels after Yuma vs. Shark aren't really that great for me for a number of reasons.

16. Gold Guy

Gold Guy This ain't Pokemon!

So far the show isn't that bad. Like the first three shows, I expect it'll get better once more of a plot comes in.

17. Sonic_Eclipse

Sonic_Eclipse Shut up! Shut up! Shut up!

Missed the premiere last Saturday, but I did watch it through Hulu last night.

I gotta say I was impressed, the animation was awesome looking (I fear it won't last though). And I think the new Duel Gaizer device is pretty cool. Yuma is also pretty likable too, I thought I'd hate him.

I loved Duel Monsters, and hated GX, while I thought 5D's was pretty cool I never really got into it. But I actually liked Zexal, and will definitely check out the next episode this Saturday.

18. Chaos Yoshi Mage

Well, I watched the dub, aside from all the fact that as with all 4kids shows, they make up their own script as opposed to translating, it wasn't too bad. The music was alright, and I liked most of the voices (Although Shark's wasn't good at the acting part). I kind of thought all the visual edits to the skirts were hilarious, I can see why they did them, but at times they look really bad. They're pretty inconsistent about the editing too, seeing as a very fanservicey shot of Kotori coming out of the pool is left in.

Will have to wait until the next one to really form an opinion on Astral's voice. I'm a bit torn on the whole Kattabingu thing too, while no longer using it makes Yuma a less annoying character, he loses something important to his character.

19. Chaos Yoshi Mage

A brand new episode of Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal airs today at 9:30 A.M. on Toonzai on The CW4kids (Check your local listings).

[​IMG][​IMG]

Episode 2: Feel the Flow, Part 2

Yuma's duel with Shark continues as a boy from another world appears. Can this strange boy bring Yuma the hope he needs to beat Shark's Leviathan Dragon?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2011
  20. DonkeyKongSong

Someone oughta make a talkback image. If no one else wants to, I just might take a crack at it - it'll be my first try.