Yu-Gi-Oh! ZEXAL - Series Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Anime Forum' started by Chaos Yoshi Mage, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Chaos Yoshi Mage

Chaos Yoshi Mage The Lonely Raven

Thought I would make a Zexal talkback thread as it airs in Japan. I have no idea if anyone else will be watching, but I'm giving it a chance.

Summary:
    In the near future, an energetic youth, Yuma Tsukumo, is aiming to become a Duel Monsters champion despite his current lack of skills. He may not be the best, but when top duelist Ryoga "The Shark" Kamashiro defeats Yuma's friend Tetsuo Takeda and takes his deck, Yuma steps up to the challenge. During their duel a spirit who calls himself Astral appears to Yuma. Now a new legend begins with Yu-Gi-Oh! ZEXAL!

Episodes:
    Episode 1: Kattobing, That's Me!
    Episode 2: My Name is Astral!
    Episode 3: Events After Incidents!
    Episode 4: Tournaround Countdown! The Counter Strategy Lies with Astral!?
    Episode 5: Undecided

2. garfield15

garfield15 Member of the 10,000 post club

Okay, okay. Not bad. Let's get this out of the way

+Animation is pretty spectacular. I really like the way they took virtual reality to a new extreme by making it an entire battle zone thing
    +Yuuma's okay I guess
    +This is the first season I've thought the ED was better than it's OP
    +I really like how they didn't waste any time with the plot. The problem with GX and somewhat 5Ds at the beginning is that the underlying plot took a good few episodes to get started.

-This episode was slow. Very generic and not that unpredictable. However, this is YGO so I'm able to somewhat let it pass. However...
    -This episode in a nutshell
    "He unleashes an ancient Egyptian space demon using a millennium puzzle looking key because it promises to make him number one, that then mind breaks the enemy he's fighting and appears as an androgynous metallic spirit alien who got rejected by the ginyuu force. This all happened in the last five minutes."
    -I do not like that the first duel of the series is a two-parter. At least get me used to it all before jumping into the "this will take more than one episode to finish" ones
    -Kotori screams out "useless" everywhere.

I guess it was okay though.

3. ftw63cc

ftw63cc New Member

Well, episode 1 ... was amazing. Yuma was all "igad" type with his "Bring it to 'Em". Reminds me of The Rock, as he was Bring it ... Having advanced knowledge of the manga, next episode will follow Rank 3 and 4. Astral appears, great.

~ ftw

4. Raika

Raika Friendly neighborhood demon

Just saw episode 1 and....it was pretty okay.
    I loved the opening and ending themes. Still rocking out to the ending right now actually.

Related to the episode, I'm a bit iffy on the character designs, but I'm not going to let that stop me from watching. I like the ideas I'm seeing so far, particularly the whole virtual dueling reality thing with those....scouter-type-things the characters wear. (I hope this is subbed soon so I don't have to keep sounding like a moron when talking about the episode.) I'm also glad that it doesn't seem to be taking its time jumping into the plot like GX did. That's a good thing.

And I have to agree with Garfield15 here. I don't see Kotori doing anything useful. Ever.

5. ftw63cc

ftw63cc New Member

Well, in the ending, Kotori got more time than Tetsuo did, meaning she is most likely of more importance. To me, she is a regular view to the Yuma character, who is seen as rather wacky by the classmates. She divulges into it, as did Tea to Yugi.

~ ftw

6. Ryoutarou

Ryoutarou [Insert title]

So I really liked the first episode. I love anything that Takaya designs, and the character designs here really were no different to me. The city was very nice and the new D-Gazer effect is pretty cool. Visually, it's a great start to the series. I fear what it might look like with cheaper animation, but these are the sort of character designs that can often lend themselves nicely to those situations. (Where as 5D's just looked like ass on a poorly budgeted episode)

We had a surprisingly large amount of things going for a first episode. Have the rivalry with Shark, the mystery behind the King's Key, which, even if we don't know why it's truly important other than Yuma's father leaving it for him, we know that it eventually will be, and then the whole... Astral thing, which I imagine might play out more in coming episodes.

It's not as bad as people were making it out to be, not by a long shot. I really enjoyed it and I can imagine it'll be a lot better when it comes to the heavier moments of the series. Though, the one issue that I do have with the show is the fact that everyone sounds five years too old for their characters.

7. Daxdiv

Daxdiv Yo-Kai Son!

Pretty good for a first episode. I kind of like how Yuma is being handled. The designs weren't as bad when I saw them in motion. My only complaint with this episode was that it felt like it was dragging in certain areas.

8. Mr. Hypocrite

Mr. Hypocrite Detective. Hero. Hypocrite.

The fact that Yuuma is a crummy duelist is an interesting spin on things.

At least Judai was good at dueling.

As for Kotori, lets just see alright. I know Yugioh has an atrocious record with female characters, but

1) It's the first episode.

2) It's the first BLOODY FREAKING episode.

3) Look at Akari from Xros Wars. Didn't have a partner, but still helped, and is well liked.

4) FIRST. EPISODE.

Though I'm wondering how much farther into the future they can go.

Also, I hoping the second opening will kick ass. Second opening for most anime are usually better than the first.

9. Sgt.Frog

Sgt.Frog New Member

I'm liking the overall look and color and craziness of the characters in Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal! one of the reasons I didn't watch 5'Ds was because I found the story, characters, and tone depressing overall, and a bit of a step-down from Yu-Gi-Oh GX which I liked a lot. But, it seems to keep the fun and imagination that I see in a lot of shows. Yuma's incompetence and clumsiness reminds me of Iris and her Axew. The art does seem a bit, "plastic" like so to speak.

10. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator

I was going to wait until this series eventually gets a dub, but I decided to give it a shot for awhile. Anyway, I thought it was actually kind of fun and not as bad as I heard other people claiming in various other forums. I kind of liked the design of the city and that it's so bright and colorful. I even grew to like Yuma's design, despite having really weird hair. Though, practically every male Yu-Gi-Oh! character, especially in the main cast, has some odd hair style and/or color. It just short of works with his hyper personality. I thought that the beginning with Yuma and Kotori at school was kind of weird due to it appearing to be a regular school.

When I first saw the D-Gazers, I thought that they looked weird and the concept was odd too. Though, seeing it in action during this episode made them look much cooler than I originally expected. It almost looked like the kids wearing them were transported to a different virtual world and that does allow them to duel almost anywhere without distracting other people. Plus, the damage looked pretty intense. At first, Yuma was kind of annoying to me because of his catchphrase. I think he said it four or five times in just one episode, which is a bit of overkill to me, but perhaps he'll say it less in the future or I'll learn to ignore it. Though, I actually did feel sorry for him when Yuma's key that oddly reminds me of Yugi's millennium puzzle since we do know that he really treasures it, at least that's the impression based on the photo of his parents in his room. Even the way Yuma got the rest of the necklace back after reminded me of Yugi getting the last piece of his puzzle back from Joey, so that was kind of neat.

Ryoga was kind of a jerk to Yuma, but I still like his design and I think his voice worked pretty well too, despite sounding a bit too old for the character. He looks like he'll be a pretty cool rival. I really liked the way the duel looked and even the new Exceed summon looked more intense than I thought it would. Yuma starting out as an actual rookie, even calling out that he's laying down a trap card when he shouldn't have, is kind of interesting since all of the previous protagonists have been great from the start. Even Jaden was pretty much treated as the best first year student despite being the lowest rank at Duel Academy. That does make me hope that he'll have more obvious growth during the series and/or have fairly believable losses every now and then. Ending with Yuma getting Astral was a nice place to end it, although I do agree it would have been nice to have one full duel in this series before jumping to two-parter duels.

As for the opening and ending themes, I actually kind of liked the opening more. It has a cooler beat to it that I feel works for tone of the series. The ending theme does have cooler visuals though. Kotori does really scream "cheerleader/love interest for main character," to me, but that was the impression I got from her first design too. While it is the first episode and she could become more important/active later on, the track record for other female Yu-Gi-Oh! characters and her design doesn't really make me hope for that though.

Still, I thought it was fun episode and pretty good start to the series. While it does feel like a combination of DM and GX to me, it surprisingly doesn't make me turn off from the series. I haven't been blown away by any of the characters or what we have of the story thus far, although the duel format does look really awesome, but I am entertained and curious enough to keep watching. It definitely wasn't as bad as I heard from other people and it was overall pretty fun to watch. Though, in retrospect, I don't think that we had a good introduction to all of these characters since the first half did feel like it was rushing through what could have been more solid character interaction and backstory, like more focus on Yuma's necklace before it was broken so there would be even more sympathy for him. Still, it seems entertaining enough for me to continue on for awhile.

11. Chaos Yoshi Mage

Haven't watched it yet, but from what I'm hearing this is essentially Rank 1 and 2 of the manga animated. That doesn't bode to well on my part, but I'm hearing the animation's nice, so I anticipate that. And yeah, it appears all the classic Yu-Gi-Oh! homages are also present in the anime version.

12. Chaos Yoshi Mage

Sorry about the double post here. So, I didn't think it was too bad. The animation was nice and the OP and ED were great. The characters are annoying though, hopefully they'll get fleshed out more in the near future. The AR stuff is cool, but a lot of it is annoying. I'll keep watching.

13. ftw63cc

ftw63cc New Member

Just give Zexal time, not every show starts off hitting wild.

~ ftw

14. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator

Yeah, while I thought that the first episode was kind of fun to watch, the duels look pretty cool and there is some nice potential for the series, I didn't actually care too much about the characters. I think it helped that we didn't see much of their personalities beyond their typical roles, like Kotori being the supportive cheerleader for the main character, Tesuto being the bully/friend of the main character and Ryoga being the rival for the main character. Though, it was just the first episode and it's kind of hard to become really invested in the characters within that amount of time, especially since we jumped right into the plot with this episode without getting much of an introduction to these characters and the town they live in. I still don't think it was as bad as I heard before since it does feel watchable and enjoyable at the same time for me. I'll see how I feel about the characters after about ten episodes into the series and hope I care more about them, or at least some of them, by then.

I am hoping that Yuma can receive some nice character development due to how he's really not good at playing Duel Monsters, unlike the previous main characters, and perhaps bonding with Astral will allow that to happen. He also felt a bit annoying at the beginning, although I blame that on saying his catch phrase like five times within the first ten minutes, but I could see him growing on me the most out of the main cast so far.

15. Chazooma

Chazooma =' 3 '=

It was alright.
    It wasn't terrible or too boring, but it didn't really entice me to keep watching future episodes. I will keep watching up to at least a few episodes, though. There are some unintroduced characters seen in the OP that could make things more interesting. The pacing felt too fast or too slow at multiple points in the episode, which was a little jarring.

Yuma kinda already annoys me. He's dueled repeatedly before, but he plays like he's never even heard of the game. I get the whole novice and untalented thing to contrast with previous protagonists, but there's no need to make him brain dead.

I do really like that the characters move around a lot more with the animation, which I'm guessing is a side effect of having relatively simpler character designs this time around.

16. sho87

sho87 New Member

So basically this is like Naruto with card games?

17. Chaos Yoshi Mage

KATTABINGU=BELIEVE IT!

Speaking of characters in the opening, was that a dueling superhero?

18. ftw63cc

ftw63cc New Member

It was probably the Esper Robin from the previews.

~ ftw

19. Blueranger

Blueranger New Member

I liked it. It's not great but it's solid. The supporting cast seems lame to me. The girl is cool but the fatass on the skateboard is not exactly a character I want to see for the rest of this series.

I liked the cards and some of the new concepts. Not a fan of a cliffhanger in the first episode.

I loved the new look Dark Magician and he new version of the Millennium Puzzle. The show seems interesting, I hope it picks up and is more enjoyable as time goes on but everything else seems good.

I hope someone that isn't 4kids can dub this series....

20. OnePark

OnePark גורל

I felt the first episode was... okay. Like 5D's it didn't grab me. I'm going to give it a few episodes to see if I'll stick around (if your wondering, I didn't for 5D's and I tried three times to get into it).