"Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal" Season Three Talkback

Discussion in 'The Anime Forum' started by Light Lucario, Jul 13, 2014.

1. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator Moderator

Due to the Vortexx ending in the fall and airing repeats, Zexal premieres have now moved to Hulu/Yugioh.com! A new episode will be uploaded every week until the end of season three, which will most likely be the end of the series. Here is where people can discuss every episode that premieres online. The Vortexx talkback thread can be used to discuss all of the episodes that have already aired.

This week's episode: http://www.yugioh.com/yu-gi-oh-zexal/tentacles-of-terror-part-1/805
    Synopsis: With Vector’s patience for failure fading fast, Mr. Heartland begs for a final chance to beat Yuma! Desperate to deliver, Heartland deploys his most dangerous duelist to date, a treacherous Barian armed with toxic tentacles!

I apologize for the lack of a talkback image. I will try to edit this with one whenever possible.

Please keep details and events of future episodes in spoiler tags. Thank you.

2. 4Kids4EverFandom

4Kids4EverFandom Active Member

I Thought this episode was well done. The name of the Jellyfish guy that Shark and Quatrro are dueling, is Chironex. Of course they removed blood when rio and shark were poisoned, but it still works really good. Quattro's voice kinda sounds the same just not as crazed or deep as it was in the first 3 arcs of this series. It appears though they kept in (with a few shots omitted) the car accident scene with Shark and Rio, and it may have appear that their parents death was left in tact. And they finally kept Giant Grinder's Grinding of the monster in. So i'm guessing they are being more lenient with the censorship.

Good episode, and good character development with Shark and Rio. I give this episode 9/10.

3. Light Lucario

It does sound like they kept their parents' death in tact, but we'll see how they'll handle the twist at the end of next week's episode. As for Giant Grinder's grinding another monster, maybe that was left it due to the monster not looking too human-like. I'm not sure if they would have changed something like that just for streaming the episode online, especially when I still think that they didn't know about the Vortexx ending until the last minute and the episodes that they already have dubbed were dubbed with the CW's edits and standards in mind.

They didn't really get character development. They just got a backstory due to how it tied into Shark's subplot of questioning whether or not he's human. He gets a character development moment in the next episode, but Rio is still in the damsel in distress mode, so she definitely doesn't get any character development from this two-parter.

Anyway, I thought that this episode was pretty good. Seeing Trey in Yuma's school outfit was kind of weird and I think it was more of a means to please the fans given how the third ending theme showed Trey in a school uniform. I actually did feel kind of sad for Yuma when he forgot that Astral wasn't there, but at least he bounced back well enough. I didn't care for the other Numbers Club members being sad about Astral not being around. It really doesn't make any sense given how they saw him like twice at most and they never talked to him. At least with Yuma, there was a friendship between them to make his depression over his apparent death more understandable and a completely reasonable reaction. I don't see why they others would miss him or be that sad about it when Astral rarely talked to anyone who wasn't Yuma, even when more characters could see him.

It was nice that we finally got to see Shark and Rio's backstory. Given the conflicting memories he received after his last duel, it's understandable that he'd go back to his childhood home. I'm also kind of surprised that they seemed to have left the car accident scene in tact, but I'm curious how they'll handle the ending to the next episode. Although, this backstory also raises a couple of other questions. Where have Shark and Rio been living since they lost their parents? Who has been taking care of them? Based on their house, it looks like they came from a pretty rich family, so one would think that they'd have some relatives or some protection for their children in case something happen. Do they just live at the hospital given how frequently both of them end up there? This would explain why Shark was basically living on the streets way back at the beginning of the series when he was hanging out with that gang if he didn't have any parents, but since he's still fourteen, or possibly fifteen if it has been over a year since the beginning of the series, he would still require someone to take care of him and his sister.

Still, it's a nice bit of progress for his subplot and going back home to relive all of those memories would help to reassure him that he's human. At the same time though, it's hard to say what he can or can't trust at this point due to the memories he experienced during his last duel. I'm almost positive that Quattro has a different voice. He doesn't sound nearly as deep even when he first appeared in front of Yuma, Tori and Trey. Admittedly, his original voice sounded too old for the character and this one sounds a bit closer, but it also doesn't sound that good. I'm also pretty sure that young Shark had the same voice as Yuma. Man, the voice actor pool in New York must be seriously small. I've never liked how they made Quattro into more a victim in the WDC arc due to his father telling him to attack Rio, mainly due to how he showed too much enjoyment in tormenting others to make that angle feel believable, but at least he still feels guilty and blames himself for what happened to her before. I guess that's better than nothing.

The duel itself was okay. It was just getting started, so nothing really stood out, aside from Quattro's reaction to seeing Number 04. Considering that the Arclight brothers are suppose to have real names and the number thing is just a code name, saying that his name isn't Quattro for nothing was kind of funny. Shark being poisoned added more tension and having the two of them team up despite their rivalry helps to make the duel more potentially interesting as well.

Also, from now on, I'll just leave a link to either the official Yu-Gi-Oh! site or Hulu along with the synopsis instead of a talkback image due to how the series is premiering online instead of on TV.

4. Gold Guy

Gold Guy This ain't Pokemon! Moderator

I liked this episode, but wow, the new villain's actual design is sooo much sillier than the previous episode's villain. A jellyfish man? Hard to take seriously.

5. Light Lucario

If I recall correctly, the next minor villain's design is even sillier than a jellyfish man.

6. Light Lucario

7. PokemonTVDub

PokemonTVDub Member

Here's an update on Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal, if it hasn't already been discussed.

[​IMG]

Double premieres of Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal are airing on Nicktoons every Sunday, and by premieres, I mean episodes that haven't aired on Nicktoons yet but have already aired on Vortexx.

This Sunday's episodes are "The Adventures of Artimus Stanleyus" (#78, aired on Vortexx September 14, 2013) and "Doom in Bloom" (#79, aired on Vortexx September 21, 2013).

And if I did my math right and double premieres continue, that would mean Nicktoons will start airing new episodes on October 26, 2014 with "Tentacles of Terror: Part 1" (114) and "Tentacles of Terror: Part 2" (115). This date seems plausible since Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal originally premiered on Toonzai on October 15, 2011. While Hulu will still be ahead, at least television premieres don't look so bleak for Zexal now.

8. Light Lucario

I figured that they'd keep double premieres for Zexal going on Nicktoons, if only so that it doesn't take as long for them to get to new to TV episodes. Giving the show a weekday premiere slot would be even better, but weekly double premieres work too. I kind of wish that they'd upload two new episodes a week on Hulu instead of just one. At this rate, they won't be able to finish the rest of the series until next February. But they probably don't have enough episodes dubbed to provide two new episodes a week. Maybe they'll do that once they're closer to the end of season three since that should also be the end of the series based on their episode counts for the first two seasons of the dub.

Anyway, I thought that this episode was pretty good. Quattro's new voice still doesn't quite work for me, especially some of the really bad acting moments during this episode. While I still don't like how the anime redeemed Quattro and made him more of a victim for his father during the his last match with Shark, I do like how he still feels guilty for what he did, instead of brushing it off completely. The duel itself was okay. Shark struggling against the poison created a nice bit of tension and he did have some nice teamwork with Quattro during those last couple of turns, although some of the dialogue changes were pretty bad. While I don't think Shark and Quattro could be friends, or at least that Shark would ever completely forgive him for what he did to Rio, I could buy them being more like friendly rivals. Yuma getting sad about them arguing didn't quite work when their arguments weren't really similar to what Quattro and Shark were doing, but that's really the only forced moment of sadness Yuma has had so far.

I also forgot to point this out earlier, but the jellyfish man isn't really a Barian. I'm pretty sure that they don't refer to these one-shot villains as Barians. The only Barians around are the Emperors and I guess Don Thousand. I forget what kind of term that they used to refer to these one-shot villains, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't Barian. Also the reason he was freaking out once he realized where he saw Shark before was because he and Rio supposedly died in that car crash along with their parents. That revelation combined with seeing that his family's crest was the same one he saw in the past would understandably shake Shark up and convince him that he is a Barian. Hearing that he was suppose to be dead should make him doubt all of his memories, even though his memories of his childhood was the only thing reassuring him that he was still human. It is an interesting conflict where Shark doesn't know what or who he is anymore and it really helps to make his subplot more interesting.

9. 4Kids4EverFandom

Pretty good episode, agreed. But How do you think the ending was handled with shark and rio implied being dead and shark finds out the shocking revelation? I thought it was handled good but when my brother saw the episode, he thinks that 4K Media didn't imply well enough that they were dead at the scene of car crash. I mean yeah, it's going to air on nicktoons soon and it may be under their BS&P and they don't allow deaths that much, but i just think it was okay how they handled this as well.

10. Light Lucario

I don't think that they implied that they were dead either. Other than the jellyfish man screaming out that he couldn't be that kid, there wasn't an indication that they had died as a result of that car crash and even that wasn't as good as it could have been. At least with their parents, there was some implications with the whole "poor kids" line they threw in when little Shark woke up in the hospital. There wasn't something like that to make it clear enough that Shark and Rio supposedly died as well without actually saying that they had died.

I imagine that this episode, as well as the rest of the season, was dubbed with the CW's edits and standards in mind rather than Nicktoons. I still think that they weren't told about the Vortexx ending until the last minute for various reasons, especially with delaying Arc-V's premiere next year if they had thought it had a guaranteed place to air in the fall. Plus, this episode won't even air on Nicktoons until October if the rate of double premieres on Sunday keep up, which isn't really soon at all, and they probably worked on this episode months ago. I don't think that we'll see any significant changes in the dub's quality and how it handles death anytime soon.

11. Light Lucario

12. Count Orlok

Count Orlok New Member

I find it dumb Vortexx just stopped airing new episodes. They're not ending until late September and they could have been airing new episodes all of this time. Way to waste up the remaining time-slots they had left. We could have been at episode 120 by now. Funny thing is, I believe they're continuing to air new episodes of Digimon Fusion since I recall a promo for next week airing a NEW episode. But the Wikipedia list isn't listing any airdates so I'm not sure if that was an error. But if they were to air new episodes of Digimon then they better air new episodes of this show.

13. Light Lucario

I think that the reason they stopped airing new episodes on the Vortexx was because they already aired the amount of episodes that they can air within a broadcasting year. I think that I read in one of the Vortexx talkback threads that they can only air about fifty episodes a year, which is probably one reason why they didn't have double premieres to shorten the gap between the Japanese version. If that is the case, then they couldn't air any more new Zexal episodes since it wouldn't make sense to get the rights to a few more new episodes when the block is already set to end within a few months. As for Digimon Fusion, they're still airing the first season, they started airing it after they had already started Zexal premieres for the year and it has a smaller amount of episodes since I don't think the second season has even aired on Nicktoons yet. To be fair, they're wasting their remaining time with or without Zexal premieres on the block.

I'm kind of glad for the online premieres. It's better than waiting for Nicktoon airings to catch up. Plus, I didn't like how premieres were forced to air on the CW since that seemed like it was doing more harm than good for the series.

As for the episode, I thought it was okay. I really hated the memorial site scene though. While the thought behind it was potentially considerate, Flip did it primarily for himself and not for Yuma, which made him look kind of selfish. Not mention his sadness over Astral didn't really make much sense. Not being able to talk or see Astral would mean that they weren't friends. Astral barely communicated to anyone who wasn't Yuma, even after more people were able to see him. Plus, they saw him like maybe three times at best and aside from Tori, Yuma's friends never talked to him directly, so they can't really consider Astral a friend to all of them. It was also because of Yuma that they all became friends. Astral's presence didn't really factor into almost all of their friendships. I think that the only differences would be that Flip and Trey wouldn't be there, but losing Flip would actually be an improvement. This also really doesn't work because of how weak the group dynamic is between Yuma and his Numbers Club friends. He honestly doesn't feel close to all of them, aside from maybe Tori due to how she's basically his own living shadow, and they don't really have any memorable interactions to make something like Flip crying over Astral work. There's also how he has treated his so-called friends as dirt in the past, such as using them to try to sneak into the WDC finals even after he was already caught cheating, so suddenly getting emotional like that really seems jarring. The sadness for that entire scene felt so forced.

Yuma's emotions, on the other hand, felt genuine because there was a relationship with Astral. It had a rocky start with poor writing, but it eventually got better and there was a connection between the two of them, so it did feel like something important and personal was lost for Yuma. The other characters don't really have that and trying to convince the audience that they do just does not work. For the most part, they have handled Yuma's grief pretty well. Aside from that quick bit at the end of the previous episode to remind us that Yuma was still sad about Astral, none of his depression has seemed forced or unwarranted. Having Yuma subconsciously search for Astral by going to places where they had met and dueled before was also a nice touch to show that he really didn't accept the idea that Astral was really dead. While his determination to keep searching for Astral was nice, a part of me also was wondering why they never brought up the fact that he still has the Numbers to prove that he could be alive. I know that Astral left the Numbers to him, but considering that they are a part of Astral, one would think that they would be gone if Astral was really dead.

While I'm not a fan of Kite, I liked how he was spending all of this time off screen looking into finding Astral. Given that only Yuma and Tori came along, I also get a good laugh imagining that he just left everyone else in the rain. He did bring up a good point about the Numeron Code since they do need Astral to find it before the Barians get it. That was also a nice way to tie in the coins that Yuma kept finding as something besides just showing that his father had been there. Of course Yuma would want to go without the machine being tested, but if it really was just a possible one way trip or they couldn't possibly keep it open long enough after a successful test, then it made more sense for Yuma to go through it instead of Quitton.

The duel itself just started, so there wasn't much to go on for that. Quitton getting his Number card back was expected, but it did remind me of how boring his deck is compared to what his brothers have. Kite spamming Galaxy-Eyes Photon Dragon right off the bat was also expected, but it was also boring due to how his deck has basically become ace spamming. To be fair, most of the characters in Zexal tend to just spam their ace monsters with little to no variety. Shark is one of the few characters who does have a bit of variety to his deck, which helps to make his duels more engaging since he doesn't use the same monster every time. The bug dialogue was pretty bad, but also expected. Overall, it was an okay episode.

14. Count Orlok

Count Orlok New Member

They haven't aired fifty episodes this year. They only aired twenty-two which is not even half the amount, so if they could only air fifty they still had lots of episodes they could air.

But the fact still remains that they still have two-and-a-half months left of their run meaning sixteen weeks of new episodes they could be airing in the meantime. You say they can only air fifty episodes a year? Well from January 11th to June 7th of this year they only aired about twenty-two episodes. From June 15th to September 27th would have been an extra sixteen so thirty eight altogether.

So there hasn't been new episodes of the show since June? Okay then.

I just wished they started sooner though or perhaps even doubling up on them. But yeah, a good thing they did this. I wonder why 4Kids didn't think to do this back when they were dubbing GX and 5D's and were so quick to get to the next show. Instead, they just stopped dubbing the remaining episodes altogether in both shows and in 5D's just skipped a whole 12-episode arc trying to rush through to the end.

15. Light Lucario

I said that there's a set amount of episodes that they can air within a broadcasting year, which I think doesn't start at the beginning of a new year. I'm pretty sure that's the case since if they still had episodes that they could air, they most likely would have done so, regardless of the block ending in a couple of months. They would have already acquired them, so there wouldn't be any point in going into reruns if they already got the episodes and they were already ready to air.

There hasn't been any new episodes for Zexal on the Vortexx since June, but Digimon Fusion premieres have been going on since January.

I think that the reason they couldn't start this sooner was because there was an agreement to keep Yu-Gi-Oh! premieres on the CW once Saban got the block from 4Kids. I believe that also prevented them from putting episodes online for awhile after they aired on TV. Now that Saban won't have the block after this September, that agreement was terminated, so they're now able to put these episodes online. I would like to see them eventually doubling up on episodes since if they just upload one episode a week, they won't get to the end of the season until next February. Plus, I'd like to just see them finish Zexal and move onto Arc-V. Maybe once they dub more episodes, they'll move onto uploading two episodes a week.

As for 4Kids didn't do this, they lacked both manpower and financial stability to do something like this with GX and 5D's. I remember that when they used to answer questions on their YouTube page, they said that they didn't have the resources to dub both GX and 5D's at the same time like they did with DM and GX. For 5D's, they were also dealing with legal problems and filling for bankruptcy, even though I believe that the official reason they gave on their Facebook page was because of the poor ratings the show was getting at the time. I still hate how they ended GX's dub. While it was obvious that there was more to the storyline for 5D's after their ending, at least they put effort into providing some sense of closure for the audience.

16. Gold Guy

Gold Guy This ain't Pokemon! Moderator

I don't care for this villain, but I do like Kite and Quitten, so a team-up should be good. Part 2 hopefully won't disappoint.

17. Count Orlok

Count Orlok New Member

Sorry for the late reply. This site was being funny when I logged in. I tried to access this page and it kept sending me to different pages. It finally decided to work.

I wish we could have some confirmation on this whole thing. I wish the CW didn't sign into agreement to let Litton take over with this crap. Was the CBS and ABC channels not enough? Who the hell really wants to see more of their crap?

So they are in fact still airing new episodes?

[QUOTE=Light Lucario;4414741I think that the reason they couldn't start this sooner was because there was an agreement to keep Yu-Gi-Oh! premieres on the CW once Saban got the block from 4Kids. I believe that also prevented them from putting episodes online for awhile after they aired on TV. Now that Saban won't have the block after this September, that agreement was terminated, so they're now able to put these episodes online. I would like to see them eventually doubling up on episodes since if they just upload one episode a week, they won't get to the end of the season until next February. Plus, I'd like to just see them finish Zexal and move onto Arc-V. Maybe once they dub more episodes, they'll move onto uploading two episodes a week.[/quote]

At this rate, the online run won't finish the show off until February. But with Nicktoons doubling up on it's Sunday airings, and likely still doing that when they get to episode 114, they may just surpass Hulu and finish up the show before February. If that's the case, Hulu should double up since they already started ahead of them with these episodes. I think it would be odd if we let [I]that[/I] fall behind after it's great head-start.

[quote="Light Lucario, post: 83003081"]As for 4Kids didn't do this, they lacked both manpower and financial stability to do something like this with GX and 5D's. I remember that when they used to answer questions on their YouTube page, they said that they didn't have the resources to dub both GX and 5D's at the same time like they did with DM and GX. For 5D's, they were also dealing with legal problems and filling for bankruptcy, even though I believe that the official reason they gave on their Facebook page was because of the poor ratings the show was getting at the time. I still hate how they ended GX's dub. While it was obvious that there was more to the storyline for 5D's after their ending, at least they put effort into providing some sense of closure for the audience.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for explaining this. Too bad they didn't have the man power to crank out both GX and 5D's, but they should have just decided to post-pone on 5D's as it should have been important for them to get through GX first and not leave it hanging. I can understand them being anxious to get to 5D's but if you can't do both at the same time and one show isn't finished yet, the rational option is to hold off longer on the new show and get through the current one first. They just messed things up the way they did. As for 5D's run, I can understand the whole thing with the legal problems. The ratings thing I don't even consider an excuse. Regardless of the ratings, that's no reason to stop dubbing a show. If you're going to start dubbing a show from another country that you're not animating and producing yourself, then keep going with it. To just cut a dub off because of ratings is dub giving all the story you're withholding from the viewers and messes the show's run up. But the show did get a more satisfying ending to it than GX. I'll give them that one.

18. Light Lucario

Yeah, that has been a problem with some Internet browsers for awhile, but it should hopefully be fine now. If you run into that problem again, there is a thread about it in the Feedback and Suggestions section that you can try looking up for help.

I haven't really seen any of their shows, so I can't comment on their qualities, but given how out of date Saturday Morning blocks are nowadays, I'm not surprised that they're letting E/I blocks on instead. It's probably less expensive for the channels.

They are. I'm not sure if they've already aired on Nicktoons, but even if they have, they're new to the kids watching the Vortexx since they most likely wouldn't have Nicktoons in the first place.

If they keep up the double premieres once Nicktoons gets to the unaired episodes, which they most likely will, it will take them about four months to get to the ending. They would air the finale in March, while the online premieres would get to the finale in February, so even if they keep it at a one episode a week release for the online premieres, it should still be ahead of the Nicktoons airings. I'd still prefer for them to air double premieres though just so that they can finish the series and move onto Arc-V. Besides that, these episodes already aired a year ago in Japan, so they're still really far behind. The only reason I can see for them to not upload double premieres would be because they don't have enough episodes ready to do something like that.

You're welcome. Considering that GX wasn't too successful and 5D's was the brand new series that promoted the newest cards and could have potentially drawn in more attention, I can understand why they'd choose to start 5D's over finishing GX, especially when working on both series wasn't an option. It still wasn't a good decision to leave the GX dub incomplete like that and I really hated the ending they gave for the dub. The least they could have done was dubbed the clip show finale for season three. It would have still been annoying and frustrating to leave season four out of the dub, but at least Jaden coming back to the island after everyone had reflected about their time together with him could have provided some sense of closure for the dub and its audience. As for the ratings for 5D's, that was just the official answer they gave, but I really think it had more to do with their crumbling financial condition and they just didn't want to admit that as their official reason for leaving the dub incomplete. Ratings usually don't really matter for shows that exist to primarily market toys for kids, as merchandise sales generally are more important by comparison, but I do remember the ratings for 5D's being really bad. It might have been a factor, but going through bankruptcy was probably the actual reason. I can understand that, even though I was still upset over another series getting an incomplete dub, and at least trying to provide an ending showed more effort on their part.

19. Light Lucario

This week's episode: Watch Yu-Gi-Oh! ZEXAL Online - (Dub) Now or Never, Part 2 | Hulu

Synopsis: Kite and Quinton team up to swat down the bug-eyed Barian Scritch! But when Kite starts hallucinating, Quinton must fend off their flying foe while simultaneously steering clear of his confused partner’s attacks!

Please keep details of future events in spoiler tags. Thank you.

20. 4Kids4EverFandom

I liked this episode. I thought quintons acting for the entire episode was spot on good, espically in flashback. The duel was good, but had some flaws. I loved how they set it up at the end for the next episode. Also the part with Yuma speaking before being transported to astral world was done better with dialogue then it did in the jappense. I thought it was cute with tori and Yuma promising each other to come back. Can't wait til next week. I gave this episode 9/10.