1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Yu-Gi-Oh! Vrains Discussion

Discussion in 'The Anime Forum' started by Gold Guy, Dec 17, 2016.

1. zoombie

zoombie Well-Known Member

Episode 10

Non stop dueling, well got to give Revolver he is able to stay step in step with Yusaku. I still this will end in a tie eventually.

But if it is a tie, will Revolver show some good that he will Aoi the medicine anyway. I hope he does.

So the Knights do they want to destroy Veins? Looks like Yusaku is on his own now.

2. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

That will probably happen. He may say that he doesn't need to use a hostage to get Playmaker out in the future and give the recovery program to Aoi regardless of the outcome of the duel. They might try to use it to show that Revolver does have some good in him, but I don't know if it would come off like that. He doesn't seem completely evil and he does seem to care about his father, but I don't know how good he can come off in regards to healing Aoi when he openly admitted that he could have used anyone to lure out Playmaker and just used Aoi because she was somebody more recognizable.

Well they wanted to destroy Link Vrains in the first episode and they seem intended on destroying Cyberse monsters, so they do want to destroy Link Vrains and Ignis.

Anyway, I actually thought that this episode was pretty good for the most part. Yusaku saving himself with his Trap card was expected, but it was a handy way to get Decode Talker back and avoid the effect damage. I had a feeling that Yusaku would get Firewall Dragon through his Skill during the duel. I was actually kind of hoping he'd play it just to learn more about its effect, but Revolver had his own Trap card. It brought back Yusaku's monster and because a monster was special summoned Revolver's own Dragon's effect destroyed it. They both took eight hundred points of damage and ended the duel in a draw.

I was actually kind of surprised that the match ended in a draw. I would have expected that for the end of the four parter, but not now. I was really relieved that it happened though. Part of my problem with the previous episode was wondering how they'd stretch the duel for four episodes. It seems that the four episodes are made up of two duels instead of just one really long one, which is much better than I initially feared. It would explain why the preview for this episode showed them in a regular duel too. I'm still not sure why they wanted to have two duels here. The most that this Speed Duel accomplished was for both Yusaku and Revolver to gain new ace monsters through their Skill mechanics and for the both of them to get insight into their strategies. I'm not saying that those are unimportant. Getting a look into Yusaku's strategies for himself in particular helped Revolver's strategy for their second duel and obviously, Yusaku is going to turn things around with Firewall Dragon, but I kind of would have preferred for them to go straight to the Master Duel in a way. I'm already tired of Speed Duels, so a regular duel would be more appealing to me at this point. I was also worried about Master Duels giving them eight thousand life points, but they kept it to the regular four thousand instead. Plus, ending the Speed Duel in a tie makes it way more likely that Yusaku is going to win, if not a guarantee, since this would technically be their second duel instead of their first one. I don't know if they'd have two ties in a row, although somehow the duel being interrupted may be a possibility still. At least the duel didn't drag on as much as I thought it would be, so that was nice.

The Master Duel started off pretty nice. I really hope that they'll have a better balance of Speed and Master Duels in the future. Having a regular sized field would really help make the duels potentially more engaging since they can have more monsters and cards on the field. Revolver's Fire Prison spell was pretty broken, even before its secondary effect was revealed. It increased the defense points of Dragon monsters, limited the Link monsters that could be summoned and only allowed Link monsters to attack. He did have a pretty effective combo with Fire Prison and Beltlink Wall Dragon though. Not only did it further limit the Link Monsters that Yusaku could summon due to its Wall Counters, but it was the only monster Yusaku could target when he did go for the attack. It still seemed pretty overpowered, but to be fair, Fire Prison was the card he got right before the duel started, so that probably explains why it has an overpowered effect. Plus, it was still a pretty good combination all things considered. Three Burst Blast Dragon also had a pretty cool design and effect. While Yusaku was able to power up the defenses of his monster, he still took a bit of damage due to Three Burst Blast Dragon's other effect.

The other effect of Fire Prison was really strange. Once Yusaku powered up Decode Talker to take on Beltlink Dragon, Revolver used the other effect of Fire Prison to basically make any Cyberse monster disappear. On one hand, it does explain why he didn't use Topologic Bomber Dragon like Yusaku and Ignis expected, it was a surprising strategy and targeting Cyberse monsters fits with his goal to apparently destroy Cyberse for some reason. On the other hand, it seems way overpowered of an effect and I'm still confused as to why the card would affect Ignis. Maybe it's because the card was powered up to affect anything from Cyberse, which would include Ignis, or maybe it's hinting that Ignis could be something more like a Duel Spirit instead of an AI, which I'd kind of prefer. It would explain why Ignis is more emotional than other AI programs.

Although, I really hope that they aren't going to make Ignis' disappearance emotional for Yusaku. He seemed shocked that it happened, but the two of them have barely developed much of a relationship at this point. Yusaku doesn't see Ignis as a friend. He sees him as a program, right down to calling him AI because that's what he is and was perfectly fine threatening to basically delete him back in the third episode because he's just data. It's far too early to play out a separation between them and make it emotional. Plus, I've never liked Ignis. He isn't annoying or unlikable, but I find his voice to be a bit annoying. It's not a bad or unfitting one, but I think the voice is just too high pitched for me and it bothered me pretty much from the start. To be fair, part of that could have been due to not understanding his dialogue at the time, but it kind of left a pretty bad first impression to me. The gag from episode four doesn't really help Ignis out for me either. I just hope that they don't try to make Yusaku feel sad over losing Ignis when he has generally acted fairly indifferent towards him since the beginning of the series. There's just not emotional weight to make Ignis' disappearance mean anything yet and if they try to make it more dramatic or that Yusaku really misses Ignis, then it will probably feel pretty forced.

Still, this was probably one of the better episodes of the series thus far. The duel itself is generally fine so far and there were some genuine twists. I'm just still unsure if we really needed to have two duels between Yusaku and Revolver one right after the other, or maybe the concept of their first confrontation lasting four episodes still kind of bugs me. The fact that I'm still more impressed with Revolver's skills than Yusaku's is still a bit of an issue, especially when Yusaku is most likely going to win here. Yusaku's strategies aren't bad, but they seem rather boring to me, especially when his Skill mechanic cuts through the tension. That won't be as much of an issue here, but the duel will probably come down to Firewall Dragon saving the day and he only got it because of his Skill mechanic from the first duel. Plus, being more impressed with his opponents' strategies than with Yusaku's has been fairly consistent throughout the series and that's still a bit of an issue. It might not be as much if I liked Yusaku more, if his storyline was interesting or even if I liked the designs of his monsters more, but he's still rather unimpressive to me in all areas and that's still an issue. Ignis' disappearances seems weird and could possibly result in some forced emotional /dramatic moments from Yusaku in the next episode, which would really annoy me if they go in that direction.

• Like Like x 1
  3. zoombie

Episode 11

Dam this is a long duel, and by the looks of it this could go into episode 13.

I still think we are looking at a tie here, and who was the old man cheering on Revolver, was that his father? I thought he was in a coma.

Well Ignis is back, and this episode went by fast, so it is an okay episode.

4. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Man, I hope that doesn't happen. The duel already feels like it's dragging on, so going for for two more episodes would be pretty bad. I think the previews I've read said that it goes on until next week, but I could be mistaken. Either way, I hope that the duel ends sooner rather than later.

I don't think that they've named that person yet, but he seems to be the creator of Ignis. He mentioned that destroying Ignis would be like destroying one's child before the duel started, so I assume that meant that he created Ignis.

Anyway, I thought that this episode was okay. Shoichi hasn't really done much other than be Yusaku's technical support, but at least he got Ema into the Data Storm to watch the rest of the duel. Revolver's whole bit about Ignis was a bit strange mainly due to the religious comparisons. It kind of reminded me of the notion of using Christian imagery/references as nothing more than window dressing or just to be cool. I was kind of hoping that Ignis would be a Duel Spirit, but an AI with free will makes sense too. I don't know why they'd want to destroy it after creating it and how Ignis created the Cyberse, but I guess that they just want to get people more curious to learn more about that. I don't mind that idea. Providing a bit of information while leaving the audience to ponder the unanswered questions can work well and it did wonders with Arc V in my opinion. I just don't think it's done that effectively when it still comes off as plot exposition as opposed to world building or development that makes me more engaged with the storyline. Maybe Ignis created the other AI beings in Cyberse that we saw at the beginning of the series.

Revoler's true ace monster Borreload Dragon looked pretty cool. It was pretty bulky and it took me way too long to realize that its body had a gun barrel, but it looks pretty intimidating and cool. They made a really big deal with its first attack, but was large and flashy. As much as I have and still do dislike the whole list off three things, I actually kind of like how they connected back to Yusaku's vague tragic backstory. It implied, if not flat out confirmed, that it's a coping mechanism for Yusaku from whatever he had to deal with in the past and that has stuck with him for years. That is more interesting than what I had expected for their reasoning behind that gimmick. It also explains why Yusaku wants to find this person who helped to give him the strength to survive that experience. My main issues with the three reasons thing is how forced and unnatural it comes off, especially when most of the episodes thus far have some case of counting three things. It probably wouldn't bother me so much if they did it more sparingly. I'll probably still have issues with how they use the three reasons thing in the future. but I can at least appreciate that they wanted it to mean something more than just a gimmick. Giving Yusaku some much needed personality certainly doesn't hurt either. He still feels pretty bland to me, but providing a tiny detail of his backstory helps. I still don't really like that they're just teasing Yusaku's backstory like this though. It feels like we should learn about it after becoming invested in his character instead of having it dangled in front of the audience since the beginning of the series, but at least there was slightly less vagueness about it this time.

Yusaku being able to sense the Cyberse monsters still makes me think that he's the human embodiment of the network, especially when he's been able to do that since he was a young child. That might have been why he was kidnapped and targeted by the Knights of Hanoi. While I don't like how Yusaku was only able to overcome the Fire Prison combination due to a monster he got from the Data Storm, Firewall Dragon does have a pretty great design. The blue and white look really nice on it. I was glad that they didn't play Ignis' disappearance nearly as emotional as I expected it. Yusaku was still calling out for Ai to give him strength and he did look and sound happy to have Ignis back, but they didn't try to make it sound like Yusaku was crushed over losing Ignis. That scene did convey that Yusaku does care about Ignis a bit better than his shock over his disappearance, but it still feels a tad forced to me. Yusaku has treated Ignis was pretty much just a tool. Nothing about their interactions indicated that they were getting closer prior to this episode. If this was just the starting point of their friendship, that would be okay, but it just felt a bit too forced or sudden to really feel genuine to me. Ignis reacting to the new dragons was kind of funny though.

Yusaku was able to destroy Beltlink Wall Dragon with Firewall Dragon and used the Trap card Parallel Port Armor to protect it from card effects and being destroyed in battle. Revolver still had a pretty good combination himself. He was able to restore his hand, bring out more monsters to the field and used Borreload Dragon's effect on his own monster. Sending Autovarret Dragon to the Graveyard destroyed the Trap card and put Firewall Dragon in a tight spot. I'm not sure how Borreload Dragon's attack caused Firewall Dragon to change sides, but I guess it was more of an ability than an attack since Yusaku didn't lose any life points. Wanting to defeat Yusaku with his own Cyberse monster would be rather poetic in a way, but Yusaku was able to stop it by destroying all of the monsters in the Main Monster Zones with the Cynet Refresh Trap card. They were both able to revive some more monsters, including Firewall Dragon and Encode Talker for Yusaku.

The duel really dragged on for me, but part of that could be due to expecting the match to end the moment Yusaku first summoned Firewall Dragon. Still, it felt a bit too slow for my tastes and it doesn't help that I'm still not invested in Yusaku or the main conflict of the show for that matter. I also wouldn't be surprised if the person Yusaku is looking for turns out to be Revolver. The person who gave him the courage to survive turning out to be the leader of the same organization he wants to destroy, while predictable, could have some interesting affects on Yusaku. I do hope that the match ends next week. While it's not exactly a four part duel and I'm still grateful for that, even a three part duel for their first encounter is far too much at this stage of the series, so that bothers me a bit. Longer duels can work if they feel justified for that length and this doesn't to me, especially when the only reason Yusaku didn't lose here was because of his broken Skill giving him a shiny new dragon. There's a reason why most of the duels in the spin-off series are one or two episodes long. They save the longer duels for when it counts and there's not enough buildup to justify a three part duel for this match in my opinion.

5. zoombie

Episode 12

Wow this duel ended quicker than I thought, at least I thought it would be dragged out until the end of the episode, that is how Yu Gi Oh! did things in the past, but Vrains continues its reputation as a new kind of Yu Gi Oh! series and I love it.

Finally I am really starting to connect with the characters. Yusaku won, I wasn't sure he was going to win, I knew he wouldn't lose, and not win this early in the episode.

Well in defeat Revolver had some honor and gave Yusaku the medicine he needed. Have to wonder why Revolver never used that on his dad, he seems to be in s similar situation.

Aoi is okay, though Akira might soon be out of the job.

And Ignis true form, he is going to be a barrel of laughs.

Next episode, cool down episode perhaps, I guess we need it. Shoichi x Emma? I think they are the same age, and I might be for it, especially if Emma is Yusaku's sister.

6. Radical

Radical The Face of Evil & Epicness!!!!!

Episode 12 was pretty awesome/engaging,

Revolver's deck/awesome monsters were pretty awesome, his dueling skills were awesome/impressive better than Yusaku's:D.

Both Yusaku/Revolver's ace dragon monsters Firewall Dragon/Borreload Dragon were awesome with sweet detailed designs.

From Yusaku's backstory incident, I guess SOL Technology is responsible for it, I'll see further episodes.

Yusaku's three reasons before defeating Revolver along with Yusaku winning was sweet.

Yusaku vs. Revolver was an awesome engaging duel for 4 episodes:D.

Cool that Revolver had honor to give the medicine to save Aoi, he'll be a great future anti-hero ally pretty soon.

Love Ema, I hope she bees a future anti-heroine ally:D.

Dr. Kogami(Revolver's father), a great new major villain, he's well and not in a coma, odd.

Nice that Aoi is saved and heartwarming with Akira happy which he'll be the best older brother for her with great character development:).

Love Ignis's true form with a sweet design.

The mysterious message for Yusaku/Shoichi was interesting.

Next episode preview: A nice breather episode and a Shoichi/Ema chemistry is sweet.

• Like Like x 1
    #66 Radical, Aug 2, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
  7. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

You really think that this is new for a Yu-Gi-Oh! series? Really? They already dragged the duel out for three episodes and by the time Yusaku won, they were already halfway done with this episode. There was around twelve minutes of the episode left by that point, so it wasn't like Yusaku defeated Revolver within the first five minutes of the episode. This certainly isn't a new development for duels in this franchise. While there are duels where they don't end until the last moment of the episode, it's certainly not uncommon that a multi-part duel ends around the middle of the episode and then they spend the remaining episode for wrap up and/or to lead into the next episode. The only example I can think of right now would be Yuya's second and third duels against Jack, but if I looked through some episode lists, I'm sure I could find more examples. This is definitely not new.

This is something that has bothered me about Vrains ever since it started. The notion that it does so many brand new things for the franchise and that it's a new kind of Yu-Gi-Oh! seem mostly to consist of exaggerations or just flat out ignoring that stuff like this has happened in previous series. People claim that Yusaku is the first protagonist who doesn't instantly accept every challenge, despite how Yugi, Yusei and Yuya weren't instantly up for a duel the moment they were challenged in many different cases, that there weren't duel less episodes before Vrains when that is definitely not true or that this series is all about plot when it's been mainly exposition. Obviously, if you love the show, that's fine, but claiming that it's a new kind of Yu-Gi-Oh! or acting like it's doing new things when it's so common within this franchise is overselling it to say the least. It's part of the reason why I don't think I can get into this series as much as other people do. Granted, it's a minor point compared to the problems I have with Vrains itself, but the over hype factor and especially people bashing Arc V while praising Vrains definitely doesn't help matters. I'm not saying that people shouldn't like the series or anything like that, but I think just finding the series to be okay at best and then hearing people over hype it like it's the best thing to happen in the franchise rubs me the wrong way for multiple reasons.

It could be that his father wants to in the network for his plans or that there's something else that is keeping him from logging out of Link Vrains. I was more surprised that they revealed his father already. I thought that they'd save that reveal for whenever they also showed what Revolver really looked like.

I don't see how Ema could be Yusaku's sister. Yusaku doesn't have his memories, but there's no indication that Ema is in the same position and you can use hair to determine which characters are related in an anime.

Anyway, I thought that this episode was okay. It does still bother me a lot that they haven't explained how the new field works or how links between monsters do, especially when that was pretty key for Yusaku's comeback strategy. The whole point of Vrains is to promote the newest cards and the most explanation we've gotten about Link Monsters is just their summoning requirements. I'm pretty sure that previous series had better explanations for their new summoning methods by this point too. Despite that, I did like the back and forth motion between Yusaku and Revolver during this final stretch of the duel. Yusaku was making some nice combos with his remaining cards, even using his Traps from the Graveyard, in order to power up and protect his monsters. Revolver responded by using his monsters effects combined with Borreload Dragon's effect in order to send Yusaku's monsters to the Graveyard. There was a nice bit of back and forth motion with their strategies that helped to make the rest of the duel engaging despite knowing how it was going to end.

Considering that Yusaku was powering up Firewall Dragon so much and this was the first duel in which he used it, the chances were excellent that he'd find some way to attack again and he did. It was still a more interesting combination than I was expecting from Yusaku. Instead of being able to destroy Borreload Dragon, he was able to deal him the damage by powering up Firewall Dragon. It was obvious that Yusaku was going to win. There was far too much on the line, they already ended the Speed Duel with a draw and the way Revolver acted like he was going to win due to Yusaku's low life points and no cards in his hand made it even more obvious that he'd win. The only way it could be more obvious if Yusaku only had one hundred life points left instead of four hundred. Even so, it still has the problem of making Yusaku too perfect. He doesn't necessarily have to lose a duel in order to look more flawed. His best moment thus far was his flashback about he developed that listing three things speech pattern because he was more emotionally vulnerable and not just traditionally cool personified. It doesn't help that there's virtually no tension from his duels when it's so clear that he won't lose. That also isn't new for this franchise. All of the lead protagonists have plot armor to various degrees. It just seems even more blatant than usual with Yusaku and being so overpowered doesn't help matters either.

I did like Revolver's reaction to Yusaku talking about his three reasons to defeat him. He seemed shocked over that incident from ten years ago. Based on his reaction, it still seems quite likely that Revolver is the friend who helped Yusaku before. He was even more focused on the speech pattern more than the event from ten years ago, so he was probably familiar with Yusaku back then at least. At least he did give the recovery program, so he kept his word. It also seemed like SOL Technologies could be more antagonistic than the others expected if Revolver was upset over Yusaku helping them. Plus, the three chess pieces wanted to replace Akira due to what he heard, so they're probably hiding something. Although, leaving SOL Technologies might be good for Akira since he wouldn't want to chase after Playmaker after he saved Aoi. Maybe he'd want to work along side Yusaku after saving Aoi. I'm not sure how that would work, but I could see him wanting to do that instead of treating Playmaker as the enemy even after losing his position at SOL Technologies. I could have done without Ema complimenting Yusaku as being so cool when he walked away before being thanked, but I'm also just tired of the hero worshiping of Yusaku both in and out of universe.

I still have some major concerns about how they'll handle Aoi, but I have to admit that Akira running over to her hospital room and crying in happiness to see that she was okay was sweet and touching. I was kind of hoping for a more complicated sibling relationship between the two of them when character information was coming out, if only because I thought dynamic could be more interesting and it's rare to see siblings in this franchise that have problems getting along with each other, but I do have a soft spot for heartwarming sibling moments in this franchise too. It helps that Akira seems to genuinely care about Aoi a lot more than I expected and I am curious how this event will affect their relationship. Akira might become more over protective of Aoi and prevent her from dueling completely. Maybe they'll be more willing and able to communicate their feelings with each other. While that might not have prevented this situation completely, it does feel like that strain on their relationship could have been reduced, if not avoided entirely, if they both talked about how much they care about each other. Aoi was shocked yet happy to see Akira cry over her, so having more moments like that where they care about each other would be nice. I was also kind of relieved that Aoi didn't wake up in Link Vrains to thank Playmaker, if only because she should be more focused on her brother instead of Playmaker when she first woke up.

I could have done without Ignis claiming that Shoichi would be looking at his private parts by looking at the data he got from Revolver though. It was supposed to be funny, but it seemed too weird to work for me. The fact that it reminded me of the tasteless joke when he was moaning with Yusaku's cleaning robot definitely didn't help. The fact that Yusaku was so worried about what Revolver said about AI gaining free will was kind of interesting. I figured that Ignis would get his body back, which I was fine with. I was tired of just seeing his eyeball all the time. They were able to convey quite a few different expressions with just his eye, but it has gotten old too. Yusaku and Shoichi being so unimpressed with the reveal was admittedly pretty funny. It also made it clearer as to why I don't like Ignis since not only does he have a loud high pitched voice, but he's cocky and self-centered, so none of those things appeal to me.

At least the next episode looks like a breather, which does sound good after a long duel. I'm still not sure how I feel about the duel between dragged out for so long. I'm not sure if you could have reduced it down to two episodes like I thought it would initially, but I do know that I don't like how it was structured. The Speed Duel was primarily just a way for the two of them to get an idea for their strategies and for Yusaku to gain Firewall Dragon. If it wasn't for that Speed Duel, Yusaku would have lost here and that kind of bothers me too. Protagonists magically getting new cards definitely isn't new either. All of Yuya's upgrades for Odd Eyes or new Dragons suddenly appeared for him too. In that case, I think it's a matter of presentation. With Yuya, his cards suddenly appearing was presented as mysterious, so it was clear that it was tied into the plot, which it was. While it's possible that Yusaku's Skill mechanic could be tied into the plot as well, it doesn't come off like that. It comes off more like a less overpowered version of the power of Zexal where he can get any card he wants through the Data Storm and that card always leads him to victory. It just comes off as another way to further reduce the tension for Yusaku's duels more than anything else right now.

8. zoombie

Episode 13

Not much to say it is a clip show.

I guess I could say Emma truly is the mysterious beauty, we see more of Emma I am not going to complain. Those poor saps got ripped off and all the bonuses are gone.

Next episode, Yusaku vs Emma, I wonder why Emma wants to duel Yusaku, did someone hire her or is this just for her own curiosity.

9. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I don't really see Ema as particularly beautiful. Maybe the way she keeps bringing it up makes her come off as less appealing to me. She sounds a bit full of herself by calling herself such a mysterious beauty.

I'm leading towards the latter. She was already curious about Playmaker and she could want to duel him more after seeing his duel with Revolver. But it could really go either way at this point.

Anyway, I thought that this episode was pretty bad. It started out decently enough with Ema talking to Shoichi. I thought that would lead into more setup for her duel with Yusaku, but it didn't. Yusaku wanting to help Shoichi with deleting footage of Playmaker was nice, but it also made me wonder how that worked. They always say that whatever is on the Internet stays there forever. Granted, this is a fantasy setting and Yusaku has unbelievable skills as a hacker, but I don't know how things like deleting footage from different areas works. Even if they deleted the source, people would have copied and shared any widely available footage of Playmaker. I'm not even sure what the point of deleting the footage is either. I know that they don't want Yusaku to stand out. That's the reason for the Playmaker identity, but people know what he looks like as Playmaker now. People were trying to imitate him in the third episode and people had at least heard of him prior to the events of the series too. I'm not sure if there's any point in trying to reduce the amount of Playmaker footage now.

Yusaku was still worried about what Revolver said in his previous duel, but Shoichi didn't seem particularly worried about it. Ignis' whole bit was annoying, but at least it was short and it didn't lead to any more tasteless jokes with the cleaning robot. I was hoping for Ema's meeting with the reporters to lead into something more interesting, but we just got a clip show and not even a good one.

I find it really annoying that they did a clip show just thirteen episodes into the series. That's just way too early for any series to start recapping events like that. I understand that they probably wanted to have a breather episode after Yusaku's duel with Revolver and I think that the idea itself was fine. They honestly could have done more than a clip show for that. They could have shown more of Aoi's recovery, how Akira was dealing with SOL Technologies or give some attention to Shoichi. Despite being involved with the whole Knight of Hanoi too, Shoichi really hasn't gotten any noteworthy attention. He's basically there as Yusaku's technical support. I think that the main reason people aren't upset at that is because he isn't a female character and people love the whole hotdog cover to make jokes. Did we really need a recap of previous events and even the reporter gushing over how cool Playmaker is? Yusaku already gets ninety percent of the screentime at least, so giving attention to someone else wouldn't hurt. Not to mention I still find the in-universe hero worship of Yusaku really annoying.

I can think back to other clip show episodes from the other series and they're all in much more fitting places. They usually don't have a clip show episode until well into their run and after a lot more major events have happened. I think that the earliest clip show prior to this one was the first one for GX and that was still around sixty episodes into its run. It really doesn't make sense to cover events now. This is at most the halfway point through the first arc, although I'm not sure if they'll go for the whole twenty-six episodes length for their arcs yet. Not that much has happened to justify a clip show recapping everything. The plot for this show is not that deep or complicated to where the audience needs a refresher this early.

It also reminded me of a huge problem I have with the series. Ema kept saying that Yusaku vs. Revolver was deciding the fate of Link Vrains, but I still have no idea why Link Vrains is so important to their world. I understand that this is how people duel in this universe, although I'm still not sure why people aren't still dueling with actual cards outside of virtual reality too, but that's not enough to make it that noteworthy that Yusaku saved Link Vrains. I understand that they can't reveal everything, particularly about the villains' plans and motivation. They have to keep some things in the dark for the time begin, but why Link Vrains is important really shouldn't be something they keep a secret. That's part of the setting and expanding more on the new setting is basic world building 101. Despite recapping the major events thus far, I still have no idea why Link Vrains is so important to this universe or why Yusaku saving it was such a big deal. That is a huge problem for me and that's part of the reason why everyone in-universe gushing over how cool Playmaker is bothers me. If I don't understand why Yusaku saving Link Vrains is a big deal, then all of the praises for him just comes off as desperate attempts to make him look cool for the audience. To be fair, that would probably still be the case even if I knew why Link Vrains was important, but it makes their desperation all the more noticeable to me.

It was obvious that the footage would be deleted before they got it on the air. I could understand Yusaku wanting to destroy something like that since it covers more information than he'd want the general public to know, but I still generally don't see why footage of Playmaker would be that bad at this point or how he can delete it. People know what Playmaker looks like and he can't make people forget that. If the reporters had saved some backups of the information, they still could have gotten some money. It was kind of a funny ending, but it made the episode feel all the more pointless to me. You can make a clip show episode work. There are clip show episodes that actually advance the story to some degree. I think that was the case for at least the first clip show episode in Arc V. Same with the clip show episode in DM and the first one in 5D's too. At the very least, you can make them entertaining by putting a unique spin to them or having something interesting behind it. An interview with Ema where she just sometimes moves her legs and talks over a few clips is a lazy way to do a clip show. They were probably happy to have less to animate this week, especially when Ghost Girl's mouth is covered up. It just felt so pointless and unnecessary to have a clip show this early in the series. I would have maybe cut it some slack if there was still some setup or lead into Yusaku vs. Ema, but there really wasn't. It was just a lazy poorly done clip show that felt like I just wasted my time watching it. It's easily the worst clip show episode out of the various series.

10. zoombie

Episode 14

An all right episode, I guess we might learn more about Emma, she is some what wrapped in mystery as someone who is neutral in everything. Well I am going to assume she is older than Yusaku, so she is going to have an experience advantage, and she is very cunning, but Yusaku has the skills and the main character shield so he will win, I am not worried. Question is will Emma keep her word after she loses.

So Akira been demoted, well he is lucky to still have a job, and introduced to a new character, I wonder is she just a one off, or might she be the Carly to Akira's Jack? Actually I think Mikage is a better comparison, we will see.

And lastly off screen was Ignis doing what I think he was with the robot, oh my really that is what we are doing? I am sure that won't make it to the dub.

11. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Probably since even Revolver kept his word and he's one of the villains. Plus, they'll need the backdoor to SOL Technology to get more information and advance the plot.

That is a rather odd comparison since nothing about Akira reminds me of Jack. I get the comparison with Carly and Mikage since they both had crushes on Jack, but it seemed like a strange comparison. I wouldn't expect much from this minor character. She'll probably just be there to be the girl with a crush on Akira. Given how Zexal handled its female characters, I wouldn't be surprised if all of the female characters developed crushes on the male leads and/or were just there to provide motivation fuel for them.

Didn't you see that they started that running gag in the third episode? Ignis wanted to get out of Yusaku's duel disk and still does, so the cleaning robot tries to get them out and they play it like they're having sex for some inane reason. Seriously, this is probably the dumbest and tasteless running gag I've seen for quite some time. It doesn't really help my issues with Ignis. I already think that he's loud and annoying, so having this as a running gag doesn't help his character out in my book.

Anyway, I thought that this episode was okay. I was surprised that Akira was even still working for SOL Technology. I figured that he'd be fired instead of just demoted. His replacement seemed like a pretty tough employer. Even if that didn't happen somehow, I doubt that he'd be interested in chasing after Yusaku again. Like he explained to Ema, Playmaker got the recovery program that save Aoi's life. He wanted to find out about the incident from ten years ago out of curiosity and possibly as a way to repay Yusaku for saving Aoi. I could have done without the comedy relief employee who instantly has a crush on Akira for some reason despite being her boss. I wasn't thrilled when Carly became just a Jack fangirl, but at least they had history before getting to that point and despite how Jack's character was handled in that stretch of 5D's, he still felt the same way.

Neither this or the previous pointless recap episode really did much to endear Ema to me. Granted, we don't know much about her, but she comes off as incredibly shallow, self-centered and annoying. Going on about how she's the mysterious beauty in the recap already made me dislike her, but she even said she wasn't interested in men without money or power. She was curious to duel Yusaku after his recent duel, but just to get more money from selling Ignis. It doesn't make her look particularly likable or interesting.

She does come off as pretty smart though. She was able to use the code Shoichi used to get her into Yusaku's duel with Revolver in order to setup for their own match. As much as I dislike the force three reason thing, at least most of Yusaku's points were pretty valid there. He knew it was a trap, but thought it would be worth the risk if he could get the backdoor to SOL Technologies from Ema. I didn't like seeing the annoying news reporters again, but I should have expected that after the end to the unnecessary recap episode.

The duel itself was okay. Ema seemed to have a pretty good strategy. She was able to lure Yusaku into an attack, but instead of using her Trap cards, she special summoned a monster to increase her defenses. She was able to get two Trap cards out on the field thanks to her monsters' effects, performed a Link Summon and was able to special summon more monsters thanks to her Trap cards. That being said, I wasn't really into her deck. The strategy was good, but I found her Altergeist deck to be too visually unappealing. If anything, the Trickster monsters that Aoi uses might be a better use for her personality wise since she has set up tricks and traps for people. But they probably wanted something to match with the whole Ghost Girl codename. I liked that we got a different kind of summoning sequence for Link monsters, even if it did make it look even more like an Xyz summon. Even Ignis' reaction to Ema performing a Link summon was basically what happened in Zexal whenever anyone did an Xyz summon. Much like in Zexal, that reaction seems really strange to me. All of their opponents thus far have used Link monsters. It seems to be the only summoning method that matters in this series, so why wouldn't use use Link monsters. It would be more of a shock if she didn't Link summon.

Ema thinking that she could defeat Yusaku before he activated his skill made sense, but it obviously won't happen. They make it extremely clear that Yusaku can't lose any duel, which is still a big problem for me. Plot armor definitely isn't new. All of the previous leads had that to various degrees, but they make it extra clear that Yusaku is going to win and generally how due to his special Skill mechanic. Even Ema claimed that not an ordinary duelist could use Storm Access at the beginning. It makes the duels much more boring than they really should be. I don't even have to wonder how Yusaku is going to turn things around. The show has laid it out pretty clearly. Although, the bit where both Yusaku and Ema were calling Ignis dumb for not picking up on her strategy was pretty funny. They tried so hard to make it seem like Yusaku was going to lose. Even one of the reporters said that he was finally going to lose a duel, but that won't happen. They aren't going to have Yusaku lose a duel anytime soon, although a part of me wouldn't be surprised if Yusaku never loses at all at this rate.

12. zoombie

[QUOTE="Light Lucario, post: 85572362, member: 69521
    Didn't you see that they started that running gag in the third episode? Ignis wanted to get out of Yusaku's duel disk and still does, so the cleaning robot tries to get them out and they play it like they're having sex for some inane reason. Seriously, this is probably the dumbest and tasteless running gag I've seen for quite some time. It doesn't really help my issues with Ignis. I already think that he's loud and annoying, so having this as a running gag doesn't help his character out in my book.[/QUOTE]

Well it was cute in Zexal when one robot had a crush on another robot, but this is taking it to far.

13. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Yeah, while I wasn't a fan of that episode either, at least it wasn't brought up as a running gag and actually did turn out to be an important episode near the end of the series. Granted, it's still never a good sign when it takes a show that long to make a character important, but it wasn't overbearing. This is just a tasteless running joke and not even a funny one in my opinion. I've seen people laughing at this and finding the couple to be cute, but I just find it annoying and stupid.

14. Radical

Radical The Face of Evil & Epicness!!!!!

Episode 14 was pretty sweet,

Major focus on Ema was pretty great, she's awesome, cute, greedy, selfish, really smart, interesting, and mysterious:D, her background will come soon.

Poor Akira demoted, but still has the job which was great.

Both Hayami/Kitamura, my favorite great new SOL Technology enemies, Hayami is cute/funny, so the Next Carly, hehehe:D, I hope they do more on her further episodes.

Ema mentioning the incident, they'll show it soon, her greedy selfishness on selling Ignis, nice evil plan.

Nice seeing the funny dumb news reporters, they make me laugh, hehehe.

Interesting that Ema has the incident information.

Yusaku vs. Ema/Ghost Girl was a pretty awesome duel, Ema has a sweet deck with cool Altergeist monsters and has amazing skills/strategies better than Yusaku's:D.

Next episode preview: Yusaku vs. Ema/Ghost Girl continues, sweet, hope to see her top ace monster.

15. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I thought that this episode was okay. Of course Yusaku was going to find a way to avoid Ema's attack. If he was magically going to lose, they wouldn't have had a cliffhanger ending like they did before. Ignis trying to lure her into an attack so that Yusaku could use Storm Access was annoyingly bad, but at least everyone recognized that Ignis was bad with his acting. I know that he's supposed to be the comedy relief, but he is so annoying and his high pitched voice makes him so much worse too. I really could have done without the focus from the annoying comedy relief reporters though. I understand that it's following up from the unnecessary recap episode with their attempt to make a Playmaker TV special, but they also feel so unnecessary. The show doesn't need more comedy relief and certainly not bad comedy relief. It needs focus on other characters and especially more flaws/emotional vulnerability for Yusaku. I know that it's only fifteen episodes into the series, but Yusaku has gotten at least ninety percent of the screentime and he's been every duel thus far. Vrains is getting dangerous close to just being the Yusaku show at this rate.

There was a decent back and forth between Yusaku and Ema. I wouldn't say it was complex exactly, but just effects countering each other one after the other. It can be confusing, but not exactly complex. I do think that they were trying to oversell how close the duel was, particularly with Shoichi's comment on how he couldn't see the outcome. Ema was keeping up with Yusaku, but he wasn't really worried about the duel and was pretty calm throughout the whole thing. They were trying so hard to make it seem like Yusaku was finally going to lose a duel here, but I didn't buy it for a second. It felt like cheap drama because he couldn't afford to lose. He'd lose Ignis and a chance to possibly learn about his past through the SOL Technologies data bank. Not to mention his Storm Access Skill renders any remaining tension rather moot given that his low life points automatically gives him the card he needs to win. Unless this was your first Yu-Gi-Oh! series, I don't think that most people would believe that Yusaku was losing and even new fans could probably tell that he wouldn't be able to lose. It's really not hard to figure out when they spell it out so clear as day.

I'd be more impressed with Ema's attempts to prevent Yusaku from using his Skill with her own if they didn't use it for some blatant fanservice. I guess it's not as bad as the robot sex sounds running gag they have and there are definitely other shows with worse/more blatant fanservice, but having shots on her chest and bottom right when she was activating her skill still seemed like blatant and tasteless fanservice to me. I don't like fanservice in general, but it's worse when it takes me out of the episode. Of course, Yusaku just summoned out another monster to activate its effect and reduce his life points after Ema restored it. That's one reason why I really don't like Yusaku's Storm Access Skill mechanic. Not only does it further eliminate any sense of tension from his duels, but it's relatively easy to get under a thousand life points in a duel. There are plenty of card effects and card combinations that Yusaku could do himself in order to access his skill. His opponent doesn't even necessarily have to reduce his life points to use his Skill. I've thought of Storm Access as a more limited/less powerful version of the power of Zexal, but it might actually be worse. While the power of Zexal was more broken, at least Yuma and Astral had to be in a specific kind of space to merge and access that power. Storm Access is used all the time and always gives Yusaku the way out of a duel. It surprises me just how much it bothers me when it really takes away a lot of enjoyment I can get from his duels.

I did like seeing Yusaku look so worried over Ema, if only because it was one of the few times where he showed more emotions. He isn't unlikable, but he's still too stiff, boring and nothing but the cool factor. He was still a bit too calm when saving her, but at least it was a nice moment. Too bad that they ruined it by calling Yusaku a superhero. I know that he just saved Ema's life, but that hero worshiping of Yusaku really frustrates me. Constantly calling him the hero that saved Link Vrains and praising him as such just makes it feel like they desperately want Yusaku to be the cool hip thing for kids to like. It's that desperation that really turns me off even further because it feels like they're trying to shove in how cool Yusaku is right in my face instead of making me like him or doing anything more interesting with him. He has done heroic things like save Aoi and Ema, but it still feels kind of early to praise him as a hero, especially when they still haven't explained why saving Link Vrains is so darn important.

Yusaku's new Excode Talker at least had a good design, its effect was useful and he was able to use Ema's Trap Card against her in order to win. She was nice enough in giving Yusaku the data she had on SOL Technologies. She even erased the recording of the duel somehow, which does make the focus on the comedy relief reporters all the more annoyingly pointless. I already suspect that Ema will be part of Yusaku's harem given her reaction to her defeat and wanting to keep their duel a secret between them. And Aoi will probably join that harem too given how Yusaku saved her. At least they can try to find more information next week and maybe it will be something interesting/not painfully obvious for once.

16. zoombie

Episode 15

So the conclusion of the duel, Yusaku he don't play around. He had this duel in hand all along didn't he. Yusaku had no help from Ai, he is a terrible actor, from now Yusaku should just duel without him trying to help.

Well Emma kept her word, so she has some honor at least. I wonder what she will do next? And those poor reporters, second time in a row they got their big story erased.

An okay episode, I am more excited for the next episode, and we will somebody find out Playmaker's identity or who?

17. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

That's been the case for a good chuck of Yusaku's duels thus far. At least they didn't try as hard to make Ema look like a strong duelist only to lose to Yusaku like they did with Aoi.

I still suspect that Ema will develop a crush on Playmaker, if she hasn't already. I can't really feel bad for the reporters when they seem like annoying unnecessary comedy relief side characters. It's especially annoying when they've gotten more focus than some of the supposed main characters of the show. I'm still waiting for Shoichi to be something more than Yusaku's bland tech support and selling hot dogs, so why would I care about these reporters not getting their big scoop.

I don't know if they'll bring in someone else to help with Yusaku's goal, but we may get some more detailed information on his vague tragic backstory.

18. zoombie

Really that goes totally against my theory that she is Yusaku's older sister.

19. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Why do you think that Ema is Yusaku's older sister? Like I said before, there's no indication that Ema has lost her memories like Yusaku has and they don't really look alike. Granted, anime siblings rarely look like they're related, especially in a Yu-Gi-Oh! series, but I don't see how she could be Yusaku's older sister.

20. zoombie

Episode 16

So we have robot duelist, and this new CEO he is just one dimensional scumbag ain't he. I wonder what info Yusaku can find. I am glad Emma said she didn't throw a duel so Yusaku's win is not cheapen, I am glad to hear that.

So Yusaku and Aoi tag duel I am excited, maybe this will open Yusaku's eyes to not try to do everything by himself and we can start to form our team here.