1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Yu-Gi-Oh! Vrains Discussion

Discussion in 'The Anime Forum' started by Gold Guy, Dec 17, 2016.

1. zoombie

zoombie Well-Known Member

Episode 4

So Yuusaku is dueling Go Onizuka a character who is an Arc V character with a 5D backstory.

Are first two part duel, I mean we can't Go being defeated in one episode. So Go didn't take the big corporation's money, he is going to Yuusaku for his own pride.

Well maybe end of the duel, Onizuka a way to get popular again is team up with Yuusaku or hunt some knights of your own. End of the duel, they might not be friends, but there will be respect.

Question I have, how long till all the protagonists know each other's true identities, though Onizuka doesn't count because his avatar and his avatar name, it is the real him, he doesn't have an alto ego like the others.

2. RDG

RDG Aspiring animator/filmmaker and Ugliest Man Alive

3. kanc

kanc Well-Known Member

4. RDG

RDG Aspiring animator/filmmaker and Ugliest Man Alive

Crunchyroll is now simulcasting VRAINS outside of Japan

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

That would explain why I like him. He reminds me of series that I actually like. That and he actually has some personality. Not a huge amount, but more than stoic traditionally cool and tough lead like Yusaku.

Well the first half of the episode was mostly about setting up why Onizuka wants to duel Playmaker and how they set up that match, so that would make it harder to fit the duel all within one episode. There will probably be some amount of respect between the two of them by the end of the match.

I'm not sure. They haven't even introduced Aoi outside of her Blue Angel persona and it seems unlikely that Yusaku knows her from school too. It would depend on what they have planned for the other characters and how they'll eventually side with Yusaku. Yusaku revealing that he's Playmaker would also be a pretty big deal and he's pretty content with just fighting mainly on his own with some help from Shoichi, so that could take quite awhile before he lets more people in about his fights against Hanoi.

Well dang. I never thought that they'd get a simulcast going for this franchise. Given how the other subs are handled, I always thought that they had to wait for the DVD quality episodes, especially so that they could have the English names of the cards ready to use. I am disappointed that they didn't do this with Arc V. I was way more into Arc V four episodes in than I am with Vrains. I don't think I realized how much I really liked it until the Miami Championship arc, but I was hooked from the start, or episode two by the latest, and it just got better for me. Vrains is still not bad, but it's not that good either. It's okay at best and boring at worst. Personally speaking, I wish that the first Yu-Gi-Oh! series to be simulcast was a series that I liked more.

That being said, this is still great news. As much as I do love getting the legal subs with the DVD quality footage, it's a double edge sword. We get the episodes with the best possible quality, but it takes awhile for them to start subbing the series. By that point, people would have watched through other means and there's no guarantee that they'd watch the legal subs afterwards. A simulcast doesn't eliminate fansubs completely, especially when there are countries that won't have access to the videos, but it does help quite a bit. Instead of waiting a couple of years until the series is near its finale, they're able to sub the series as it's going, which could help create more traffic there than there would down the road. It's also a good way to potentially get more money out of the series in general too. I don't think that the Arc V dub has made episodes outside of the first season legally available and there isn't word on when the third season will air, so who knows how long it will take for them to dub Vrains. Not to mention I'm not sure how successful a spin-off series for this franchise can be at this point among kids. Putting up legal subs right away appeals to the older fans and fully embraces that part of their audience from the start.

While I do wish this happened with Arc V, I'm still glad that we have a simulcast and I do plan on watching the series on Crunchyroll. I want to support the official release, especially when the chances of me buying the dubs on DVD outside of The Dark Side of Dimension are pretty low, and encourage them to keep subbing the series. Plus, I can have an easier time planning out my rewatch of Arc V without worrying about the membership expiring within a month. They are free to watch except for the newest episodes, but avoiding the commercial breaks is good too since the video player on Crunchyroll has been a bit weird for me before.

Anyway, I thought that this episode was okay. I actually thought that the kids in the orphanage were screaming in panic rather than for joy. I thought that Zaizen kidnapped the kids or something to make Onizuka duel Playmaker, but they were just gushing over Playmaker instead. Four episodes in and I am officially sick of the hero worshiping of Playmaker. And technically speaking, they've only gone all out with glorifying him for just the past two episodes. Everyone is talking about how cool he is and that he's the hero who saved Link Vrains, but I still don't know why saving Link Vrains was so important in the first place. If I did, maybe I'd be more okay with everyone praising Playmaker, but it would probably still rub me the wrong way considering how boring Yusaku is to me. They're trying so hard to make him look cool, but much like the show itself, it just comes off as boring to me.

Now you could say that Onizuka's desire to defeat Playmaker makes him look self-centered and I think that there is some truth to that, but I saw it as he genuinely wants to make the kids smile. He brought a bunch of gifts for them, we saw that he lives in a pretty run down place despite being the Champion of Link Vrains and he had the Champion belt that I imagine the kids made for him. It seemed like he genuinely cares about the kids, especially when we learned later on in the episode that he grew up in an orphanage and wanted to give his money so that those kids could have a better future. While there is at least some self-centered aspect to his motivation, I thought it was more compelling than Yusaku's vague tragic backstory urging him to duel against Hanoi.

I knew that Ignis' attempt to escape with the cleaning robot was going to be a comedy relief moment, but I was not expecting the scene to be so suggestive. They were trying to get that pass the radar, but this is still a kid's show, so I don't know why they thought going in that direction was okay.

I didn't think that Onizuka was disguising himself as the Knight of Hanoi, but that did make sense in retrospect. It was the easiest way to get Yusaku out to duel him and they already set up a trap to where he couldn't just log out of Link Vrains without a duel.

The duel had a pretty decent start. I liked Onizuka's monsters. The Gouki monsters kind of gave off a monster wrestler vibe with their designs, which fit nicely with his Entertainment dueling style. I liked how they presented his dueling style too. While it seemed like Yusaku was getting the upper hand by cutting his life points in half with his combo, it was just a way to make his comeback more dramatic. That actually fits pretty well with the wrestler gimmick they were going for, as well as making Onizuka's dueling style a bit different from what we saw in Arc V. Admittedly, putting yourself at a disadvantage just to make it more dramatic seems a bit too risky to me, but it clearly has worked for him given that he has never lost and winning after putting yourself at a disadvantage does show how strong a duelist is too. Plus, coming back from the brink of defeat to win does kind of sound like something I've heard wrestlers do before. I also just like hearing Entertainment dueling again. I miss Arc V a lot, so anything that reminds me of that series is a nice plus in my book.

While I know that they were setting up for the kids to cheer for Onizuka again at the beginning, I thought that they looked kind of awful for instantly siding with Playmaker. Onizuka's manager was saying how they're being honest by cheering for the cool hero that saved Link Vrains, but none of them felt bad over the idea of Onizuka, someone that they know and spent time helping them out, losing to Playmaker? That kind of made them look like they'd be willing to toss aside anyone in favor of the new cool duelist. They're just going to be background characters at best or motivation fuel for Onizuka, but it still seemed really terrible that they were all gun ho for Playmaker without any kind of conflicting emotions over Onizuka. Also, the three count thing was just weird. I know it was tied into the wrestling gimmick, but it's not like Onizuka would have actually lost if he didn't get up. That might not have bothered me too much if this was yet another attempt to insert the number three gimmick into an episode. Seriously, they've had at least one case of someone using the number three in each episode thus far. I didn't mind it in the first episode, but it felt so forced and unnatural pretty much every other time.

While Ignis looking up information about Onizuka in order to understand him made sense, I would have preferred if we actually saw some of his past instead of being told about it. Information on his dueling stats is fine, but stuff like his backstory, helping out orphanages and his motivation would have been better served as brief flashbacks. It wouldn't have to be anything major or long. Just something short that covers the point well of why he cares so much about these kids looking up to him. If he could rise out of the poor house and become a great duelist, then that would inspire other kids at the orphanage to work towards their dreams or something like that. I would have preferred that over Ignis just feeding the audience that kind of information through Yusaku.

It seemed like Onizuka was just taking on the damage for the dramatic effect, but he was also able to add Rising Scorpio to his hand due to Suplex Rex being destroyed. Onizuka's Skill Fighting Spirit does fit with his dueling style and deck, but I'm still not a fan of the Skill mechanic. It still seems too cheap to really work for the show. Onizuka doing a Link Summon with his three monsters wasn't too surprising, but Goukei The Great Ogre didn't have the best design. While it did get the kids to start cheering for Onizuka again, it also felt like they change their minds at the drop of a hat or with whatever looks cooler at the given moment as opposed to Onizuka's dueling style genuinely appealing to them. Onizuka did have a pretty good combo though. He was able to get more Gouki monsters to his hand, weaken Yusaku's monsters, was able to summon more Gouki monsters due to his Gouki Rematch card and power up Great Ogre's attack power with Twist Cobra and Headbutt Bat's effects. It was a pretty good combination that showed he isn't just in dueling for the dramatic flare.

Even so, it's pretty clear that Yusaku is going to win. If he loses, then SOL Technology gets Ignis and that would probably be bad for the plot. That's one of the pretty obvious drawbacks of giving the protagonist blatant plot armor. To be fair, it isn't too often that leads in this franchise lose in general anyway. Yuya was never going to lose to anyone who could card him. There were some interesting thoughts on how Yuya could lose and not be carded due to having Yuto's soul within him, but the chances of that happening in the show always seemed minimal at best. But with Yusaku, they've already established that the villains can only get Ignis if they defeat him in a duel, so that does make any tension harder to pull off when the show pretty much guarantees a way for Yusaku to keep on winning. They may still find some way for him to lose at some point, but Ignis pretty much emphasizes that Yusaku can't lose. It also doesn't help that Onizuka does have a better reason to win this duel than just plot. Granted, he's still dueling mainly for the kids to praise him, but that's more personal motivation than what Yusaku has. His vague tragic backstory is a personal motivation, but since they haven't really covered much of it or explain what exactly losing his past means, there's not a lot for me to get behind that. Onizuka wanting to get the kids to smile at him again because he genuinely cares about them and possibly wants to inspire them to become stronger people on the other hand is something more solid and helps to make Onizuka more interesting than I thought he would. The Entertainment dueling aspect doesn't hurt either, but he has something going on beyond being traditionally cool and tough.

I'd love it if I was wrong and Yusaku does lose. People would be less interested in Playmaker, which might make it easier for him to duel the Knights of Hanoi. They haven't shown how or if the publicity is affecting his work, but it's a thought. Plus, they already have Shoichi working on an escape route for Yusaku, so he could get out right before they take Ignis. They could also have the escape route set up right before Yusaku lose or have him decide to leave instead of finishing off Onizuka. I don't think that the show has the guts to have Yusaku lose this early in the show, but the chances of Yusaku leaving the duel before defeating Onizuka or before Onizuka defeat him are maybe decent. I do hope that the rest of the duel turns out fine and the predictable conclusion is handled decently enough at least.

6. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

It's awesome that we finally get a Yu-Go-Oh! show that's simulcast on Cunchyroll. Took longer than I would have liked, but still.

Now all we need is a simuldub. ;)

7. zoombie

Episode 5

So the Yusaku / Onizuka duel ended the way I expected. With Yusaku having a chance to escape but out of respect of Onizuka's desires and / or just because he is having fun, he declines and finishes the duel.

I thought they were going for a tie, but Yusaku comes from behind to win, but Onizuka's looks good and regains the orphans respect. I am disappointed after the duel that Yusaku did not help Onizuka as a gesture of good sportsmen ship, he just left, that is kind of a turn off, I guess he is not the type of guy who keeps himself at a distance from others. If other Yu Gi Oh protagonist even Yusei would have done that, just saying.

So next episode, as I thought it is Aoi's turn to encounter Yusaku. And a couple or shocking reveals in the previews, first of all Aoi is the sister of the SOL Technology guy Akira. I am not sure if it is a Yu Gi Oh trope, but an old trope the good guy little sister and the misguided and villain big brother. And Yusaku knows Blue Angel's identity. With Onizuka not having a secret identity and knowing Aoi is Blue Angel, when he is ready to have allies, it would be easier to form a team, but I don't know how long until Yusaku is ready to accept he can't do this alone.

8. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Yusaku's attitude in general is kind of a turnoff for me. He at least kind of respects Onizuka because he wanted to keep dueling him and supposedly had fun with him, but he's still too distant to really help Onizuka out in a sportsmanship kind of way. One of my problems with Yusaku is that he's too distant and aloof to really like. Yusei was similar at the beginning of 5D's and people have compared the two, but at least you did see how Yusei cared about his friends and wanted to help people. It also probably helps that an aloof, quite and serious lead was more refreshing for this franchise back then.

That has happened a couple of times in Yu-Gi-Oh!, most recently with The Dark Side of Dimensions movie. I would have mentioned Marik and Ishizu, but Ishizu is the older sister in that case. Sibling relationships are pretty important in this franchise. Each series has at least one pair of siblings where their relationship is really important for them, so Aoi and Akira, the SOL Technology guy, might be that for Vrains. It might take awhile before Yusaku wants to form a team with them. Even after supposedly having a fun duel with Onizuka, he didn't want to get him involved with the Knights of Hanoi.

Anyway, I thought that this episode was okay. Yusaku was able to use his Trap card to reduce Great Ogre's attack, but he was still reduced to one hundred life points. Although, that made his comeback victory all the more guaranteed. Whenever a main character in this series is down to that many life points, you might as well already declare him the victor. That happened nearly all the time with Yuma back in Zexal. It wasn't exclusive to Yuma, but he almost always got down to one hundred life points. It's supposed to make their comeback more dramatic, but when you see it happen so much, it gets really boring and predictable.

The crowd pretty much turned against Yusaku, thinking he made a misplay, and even the kids in the orphanage were back to praising Onizuka. While that does kind of fit with how dueling is a winner takes all kind of mentality, it made the people, especially the kids, look incredibly fickle. Just in the previous episodes, the kids were drooling over Playmaker, making signs for him and not batting an eye over Onizuka possibly losing to him. And now they're back to praising Onizuka and saying that there's nothing special about Playmaker? Granted, I agree about Playmaker not being special, but it just makes it seem like their attention and devotion can change at a drop of a hat depending on who is winning.

Ignis couldn't understand why Yusaku would take the damage or wouldn't leave when he had the chance, but Yusaku went on for the three reasons thing again. I'm already tired of the show inserting the number three in every episode. It was fine in the first episode, but it's so weird, forced and unnatural everywhere else. At least he did seem to respect Onizuka's dueling style. Admittedly, I don't think entertaining and winning are that contradictory. You can still win while trying to entertain the crowd by putting on a show. That was what the Entertainment Dueling throughout Arc V showed. Yuya wanting to entertain everyone didn't mean that he had less desire to win or something. It did seem like Onizuka trying to entertain even his opponent through his dueling style reached to Yusaku and made him want to respond in kind.

Of course, Yusaku took the damage on purpose in order to access his Skill, which is still so incredibly cheap. At first, I was going to be content that he was using new Link monsters to win, but then it was spamming Link monsters in order to bring out Decode Talker. He still needed the new Link Monsters and Honeybot's effect was especially necessary for his strategy, but I was hoping it wouldn't come down to just ace monsters. Once Yusaku gets Firewall Dragon, that will be the monster he'll always Link summons to win the duel, much like how Stardust pretty much took over as Yusei's main Synchro monster in 5D's. They were still going at it with the wrestling imagery, but at least it fit with the all out attack combination that both Yusaku and Onizuka were going for. Both sides had pretty nice combinations. Yusaku's Spell card increased Decode Talker's attack points, while Honeybot prevent it from being destroyed in battle and his third Link monster allowed Decode Talker to attack three times. Onizuka's Great Ogre couldn't be destroyed if he could send one of the monsters linked to it to the graveyard. They were so into fighting each other that Onizuka didn't realize he only had two monsters to save Great Ogre until it was too late and he took damage equal to its attack points as a result.

I still kind of would have liked it if Onizuka had won, or at least I would have given the show credit for doing something unexpected, but I knew that they wouldn't have the guts for Yusaku to lose this early in the series. At least Onizuka wasn't too upset over losing initially like I thought he would be. Yusaku said to Shoichi that he wanted to keep enjoying his duel with Onizuka a bit longer and he mentioned to Ignis that it was a kind of duel that he wanted to keep on doing forever, but I didn't get the impression that he was that happy. He smile during their final fight and he wanted to keep dueling Onizuka instead of using the escape route because he was impressed with his dueling style too, but I didn't get the impression that he was that happy. He still looked and sounded pretty stoic throughout the episode. Granted, part of that could easily be my own issues with interpreting tones and facial expressions. I have at least a bit of an easier time with understanding tones and facial expressions in animated shows than with people face to face, but it didn't look like Yusaku was significantly happier during the duel.

The idea itself isn't unbelievable and in fact, it's a good concept. Yusaku has been dueling against the Knights of Hanoi for some time I imagine, so he might not have had a duel that was for fun, if ever. It does provide at least a bit more for this stoic personality, but I don't think that they did the best job with showing it. It still feels like they're telling the audience how much fun Yusaku was having during the duel more than showing it. Even stuff like not taking the escape route out could easily be due to having pride as a duelist more than simply enjoying the match. Part of the problem is also that we haven't seen Yusaku duel the Knights of Hanoi long enough for his enjoyment of a duel to mean a lot more. This is only the second duel of the series. I don't know how long Yusaku has been fighting against the Knights of Hanoi, but it's been awhile at least. If this happened a little bit later in the series, like maybe near the tenth episode after seeing more of his struggles against the Knights, that might have worked out better.

Shoichi did have a good point on how they may not be able to handle their mission alone and Onizuka could help, but Yusaku didn't want to get him involved in such dangerous dueling. I actually kind of liked that in a way because it showed that Yusaku actually cares about someone else. Outside of his goal and Shoichi, it doesn't seem like Yusaku really cares about much of anything else, which is one reason why I haven't really been into him. Stoic traditionally cool leads need to offer something more than that for me to get behind them and vague tragic backstory isn't enough for that. Granted, I don't know how dangerous the Knights of Hanoi really are. We've only seen Yusaku duel one of them and while he did nearly die, that was because of the Speed Duel format and the Data Storm more than anything the Knights did. It really does feel like we're in the middle of the first arc instead of its early stages given how we're just thrown into the middle of the conflict and we're supposed to care about it with little to no characterization or world building. Still, I imagine that Onizuka and eventually Aoi will help Yusaku out. It will probably just take time for Yusaku to realize that he can't fight this battle alone.

The kids cheering on Onizuka and saying that he's still there champion would be a lot sweeter if I didn't keep on thinking how fickle they were. It was definitely trying to be a heartwarming scene, but thinking of how easily they change their minds over who their hero is just made it feel too insincere to me. At least Onizuka still got what he wanted. He wanted the kids to look up to him like they did before and that happened even after he lost, so that was nice.

It looks like the next episode will focus on Aoi, her relationship with her brother and her role as the Blue Angel. I already have concerns over her storyline possibly being about getting her brother's attention and the head writer's track record regarding female characters definitely doesn't help, but I do like the idea of a sibling relationship not being so idealistically loyal and caring for each other. Siblings in this franchise to be extremely devoted for each other and that may be part of the culture in Japan from what I recall. Still, showing some sibling relationships that don't get along would be kind of refreshing. I'll see how the episode plays out, but I have low expectations already. At least with the Crunchyroll simulcast, I only have to watch the episodes once without relying on scripts, so that's indeed a blessing for me. Plus, I get to type out my thoughts on the episodes right away when the events are fresh, so that's good too.

9. zoombie

Episode 6

So Aio and Akira aren't related by blood, this is more of Bakura / Rukia type of sibling relationship? So I assume Aio's older sister and Akira's wife is dead.

Don't let anyone find out you are Blue Angel, it is too late for that, Yusaku knows and found out very easily if I might add.

Poor Aio she is a loner in real life, and it seems everyone just uses her to get closer to Akira. At this rate it won't be long till she uncover Playmaker's true identity thanks to big mouth Ignis. Though speaking of which, I wonder in this duel will Yusaku reveal that he know Aio is Blue Angel. Considering what Akira said earlier, that could put her off her game.

And I am still not sure if the Knights of Hanoi are the true villains of the series, I am thinking SOL are the true villains of this.

I wonder if Naoki is going to learn Yuasku is Playmaker or anyone's secret identity for that matter till the end of the series, if at all? I know Aio and Go they are all going to know eventually, but I am not sure Naoki.

#49 zoombie, Jun 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
  10. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I guess so. The sister-in-law detail kind of threw me off. It probably won't really matter much when she'll refer to him as brother, although I guess it could explain why they don't have parents seemingly right now. It might also explain the age difference between them since Akira looks at least ten years older than Aio. Granted, this is an anime series and a Yu-Gi-Oh! series on top of that, so characters can easily look older or younger than they actually are, but given his position, I suspect that he's somewhere in his mid to late twenties.

I'm not even sure how they found out about that. It seemed like it was done easily off-screen just so the plot for this episode could work.

I'm kind of surprised more characters aren't reacting to Ignis. Their duel disks seem to have AI, but Ignis is really loud and more social compared to the other programs. Honestly, Ignis' loud voice kind of makes him annoying for me. He has more personality than most of the cast, but he's just kind of too loud and obnoxious for me. It's possible that he'll reveal that he knows who Blue Angel is, but I don't know how he'd go about doing that during the duel. I doubt that Yusaku will want to reveal that information for everyone watching.

Well, we probably won't get the true villain of the series for awhile. The true villain of the series usually refers to whoever is pulling the strings in the back. I assume that both the Knights of Hanoi and SOL Technology are the villains right now, even though they haven't explained how either one of them are evil. The Knights of Hanoi are more blatantly antagonist, while SOL Technology is probably more secretly evil.

As for Naoki, I guess that would depend on their plans for him. He already feels like the comedy relief character for the series and if what happened to Sawatari in Arc V is any indication, they probably aren't going to do much with him beyond that role. I'd be fine with that considering he's kind of annoying to me as well.

Anyway, I thought that this episode was okay. I still have no idea how they found out that Aoi was Blue Angel. I guess it was due to hacking some information since both Yusaku and Shoichi can do that, but it seemed really weird. It was also strange that Yusaku couldn't tell that Aoi was wearing the same school uniform from his school. It felt really inconsistent given that they stressed how he picked up small details in his opponents' dueling styles and strategies before. Yet he couldn't realize Aoi's uniform. It could be a sign that Yusaku is more skilled at reading people when they're dueling like Judai was or that he lacks social skills to realize obvious things like that, but I don't know about either of those possibilities. There's been no indication that Yusaku couldn't pick up on obvious details before this episode or was oblivious to social behavior like Judai did frequently. Plus, there's a difference between not remembering someone's name and not realizing what kind of uniform they're wearing. It can be difficult to remember names regardless of social skills, but missing something as clear as what someone is wearing is just strange.

It felt like a weak attempt to give Yusaku flaws when it just clashes with what they've already established about him. Same with the bit about it would be impossible to talk to a girl. He is more direct and serious, but nothing about Yusaku's behavior would make it seem like he'd never go up and talk to a girl. He couldn't just explain his plan to Aoi, but there's no indication that he'd be too shy or uncomfortable around girls.

While I already have major concerns about Aoi's storyline, I do like the contrast between her upbeat bubbly self as Blue Angel and her isolated lonely self in the real world. It was an effective way to show how different her two lives really are. She wanted to prove to her brother that she could stand on her own, but she sounded sad and lonely talking to him. Akira claimed that he didn't want Aoi to Speed Duel anymore because of the danger involved, but then he went back around to saying how no one could find out that she's Blue Angel because of how that could affect him, which does sound he was really thinking more about his own self-interest rather than her safety. Granted, I also don't think that Speed Duels are going to be that dangerous. They say that you can die by falling during the duel, but they aren't going to do that and certainly not to any of the main characters.

Yusaku seemed to be pretty surprised that there was even a Duel Club at his school and of course, Naoki was there being annoying. Ignis claimed that Aoi was beautiful due to his analysis, but her design seemed too generic to really label her as beautiful. That was probably the point in order for Blue Angel to stand out more, but she blended in way too well with the generic designs of the other characters in the Duel Club. Yusaku having a fake deck was smart. Cybervse monsters are apparently not common, so having that along with his duel disk could give him away. Even though Naoki apologized for laughing at his deck, that still bothered me a lot. He kept acting like he was above Yusaku because he isn't into Link Vrains, supposedly was copying Playmaker and had a lousy deck. That's just bully logic as far as I'm concerned and it doesn't help that he's been annoying since episode one. At least he did apologize and the other characters called him out on that, but it still annoyed me.

Blue Angel making a direct challenge to Playmaker was expected given that she wanted to prove to Akira that she can stand on her own. I kind of did like that Yusaku seemingly had no problem with turning it down at first, only for the comments to start affecting him more. That at least showed that he wasn't incapable of feeling hurt from those insults. But we had to that the obligatory counting down to three. That's just going to be a thing in this series. People might like that Yusaku doesn't jump at the chance to duel whenever he's challenged, but again, he isn't the only one to do that. Yuya initially refused to duel just in early Arc V. People get annoyed with characters instantly accepting a duel challenge, but that doesn't always happen. Blue Angel basically made herself a target for the Knights of Hanoi, which led to her getting some card from them. That will probably factor into how Yusaku will defeat Aoi. She could easily become a victim of the Knights and Yusaku has to save her by defeating her. I can already seeing that obvious twist coming a mile away.

I did kind of like how Aoi got upset over Yusaku asking her about her brother. She is so used to people using her to get stuff from her brother. They don't see Aoi as her own person, but just as a means to get something from Akira and that does show nicely in how she seems rather distant and lonely. It does feel a bit weird how she wants to prove to her brother that she can stand on her own and doesn't like people using her to get to him, but she also seemed lonely given their phone conversation. Maybe part of that is just me misreading the conversation or what Aoi's goal is, but it seems rather confusing, especially when I can't help but think of how she'll probably become more dependent on Akira as the series progresses. Given who is the head writer and how he writes female characters, particularly sisters in this case, I can already see the same thing happening with Aoi.

I forgot to mention before, but I seriously have no idea how going into Link Vrains works. At first, I thought you had to be in a special room or area for it like how Yusaku did before, but now he was able to do that in the middle of the school and Aoi went up to the roof. I should have realized something was strange when Onizuka went into Link Vrains while in his wrestling ring, but it seemed even weirder. I guess the duel disks allow people to go into Link Vrains, but I don't know how that works. This is one of the big problems with nonexistent world building. Things that are common place in this world like the duel disks and Link Vrains aren't explained well, so I don't know how they work when the characters do. Plus, I wonder if people can go through those energy fields while they're dueling in Link Vrains.

Ignis setting up the match between Playmaker and Blue Angel was a bit unexpected. Shoichi was pretty surprised over it too. The card the Knights of Hanoi gave Blue Angel made him think that she had joined them, but it was only faint. I still fully expect that the card will start to affect Aoi somehow and Yusaku will have to win in order to save her. At least the duel could be interesting and getting to see more of Aoi's deck could be nice.

11. Radical

Radical The Face of Evil & Epicness!!!!!

Episode 6 was pretty sweet,

Go Onizuka's heart of gold helping the orphans and getting his popularity back was pretty sweet, still a great antagonist rival next to Seto Kaiba, Chazz, Shark/Kaito, and Reiji/Shingo:D.

Yusaku knowing Blue Angel is Aoi, interesting.

Ignis trolling Yusaku made me laugh, hehehe.

Major focus on Aoi begins, sweet, the Aoi/Akira relationship is interesting, with Akira the worst villain older brother-type like Early Seto Kaiba/Reiji and Byakuya, further episodes he'll develop though.

The two different lives effecting on Aoi was interesting, cheerful/bubbly as Blue Angel and lonely/isolated as Aoi which I pity Aoi, but Aoi wanting to stand out on her own was great, so my next favorite awesome heroine after Tea, Asuka, Akiza/Luna, Kotori, and Yuzu:D.

SOL Technology might be the true evilest major villains, but a true major mastermind villain pulling the strings will come though.

Naoki Shima, my favorite minor bully, so the Second Shingo Sawatari on being arrogant/ignorant, hehehe:p, nice that he apologized, further episodes he'll find out Playmaker's true identity though.

Specter, my favorite interesting henchman, with him giving Aoi/Blue Angel a new card for the Knights of Hanoi using her to beat Yusaku was interesting.

Ignis to know about the Knights of Hanoi's threat with Aoi/Blue Angel challenging him on setting up the match was nice.

Yusaku vs. Aoi/Blue Angel begins, I'll enjoy this awesome duel after Yusaku vs. Go Onizuka.

Next episode preview: Yusaku vs. Aoi/Blue Angel begins, sweet, I'll see her awesome deck/cool strong monsters:D.

12. zoombie

Episode 7

Wow Aoi is from the looks of it, is in a bad place. I wonder what was that in the end when she was crying, was inside her mind?

So Akira has more reason to have in for Yusaku, Playmaker is going to be blamed for this, when really it was the Hanoi Knight fault.

We also find out the nature of Akira and Aoi's relationship, so I am guessing they are step siblings, that is the indication I'm getting at least.

So next episode a cool down episode I guess, let's see what the Knights do next, Yusaku wants some revenge, while Akira wants revenge on Yusaku. I hope Aoi has a speedy recovery and not out of commission for too long.

13. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I assume that was a look into her mind for dramatic effect. I don't know if they'd think that Playmaker was at fault when Blue Angel set out the challenge at first, but in his rage and concern, he'd probably put the blame on Yusaku, especially when he wouldn't know about the Knights of Hanoi's involvement here.

I think that was the case. There was some reactions over the translation Crunchyroll used last week. Apparently, the term could refer to being a sister-in-law, but it generally meant that they weren't related by blood if I recall correctly. So I guess that they're step siblings, which does make more sense than the sister-in-law term that they used before.

She may be out of commission for awhile, especially when sisters in this franchise tend to be motivation fuel for their brothers. They could do something different for Aoi, as I'm not sure if Akira is going to be dueling anytime soon, but I don't have a lot of hope for that considering who the head writer is.

Anyway, I thought that this episode was okay. Although, this might have been the most enjoyment from a duel I've had in the series thus far, at least up until near the ending. Maybe it was because I had little hopes for Aoi or I don't keep up with the card game news and thus wouldn't be familiar with her archetype, but I was really impressed with her strategy. She was able to bring out a lot of monsters and Link summon all within her first turn and set up for combo. At first, I thought her monster effect and Field Spell combo would only deal damage if Yusaku drew a card outside of the Draw Phase, but it was for any time when he drew a card. Not only was she able to deal effect damage, but she was able to power up Holy Angel as a result of that effect damage. It was a really good strategy and quite refreshing. It's pretty rare to see a deck relying on burn damage in the series, so that was pretty cool.

On the other side of the coin, Yusaku's first turn bored me because it was again Link summoning monsters in order to bring out Decode Talker. To be fair, I'm already a bit tired of Link monsters in general. One of the many things I love about Arc V is that they had some variety among the main characters' decks. It wasn't just Pendulum summoning all the time and they were often used as support for other summoning methods, especially in the second and third seasons. I'm already worrying that they're going back to square one with all of the characters running just Link monsters, but hopefully that could change after awhile. They need to show the new summoning method, but I hope that they don't just ignore all of the other summoning methods. At least Aoi had a pretty nice backup with her Trap card to protect Holy Angel and also destroyed Decode Talker even after Yusaku played that Spell card in the hopes of protecting it.

Akira's flashback was interesting though. It seemed like they're step siblings, especially when that flashback almost made me think that was when they first met for some reason. It might have been the way they presented that moment. Aoi's hair style was also identical to her Blue Angel design. Considering that her hair is blue in Link Vrains, it's possible that Aoi chose that form in order to look more like she could be related to Akira. That would fit with how she wants to get his acknowledgement. It was a nice touch all the same. While Akira wanting to do whatever he can so that Aoi wouldn't go through any hardships sounded nice and all, I couldn't help but think of how that conflict could have been resolved by the two of them talking things out. Granted, I'm not the best at communication in general, so I'm not one to talk, but it doesn't sound like Aoi really knew about how much Akira cares for her exactly based on her motivation. Just the fact that he was focused on how Aoi being revealed as Blue Angel could affect his position made me question how much he really cared about her too. It just seemed like the both of them making their feelings clear could have helped them out in the long run, but we wouldn't have a conflict or more of a personal reason why Aoi wanted to duel Playmaker.

I still really liked Aoi's burn combo and it did seem like she was really putting the pressure of Yusaku. But they had to turn it around by Yusaku activating his Skill. I honestly forgot about that detail about his Skill during the duel, but I really kind of hated that, possibly even more than Aoi being brainwashed during the last turn. Aoi had a really good and refreshing combo and she was so close to winning, but Yusaku got another new monster from the Data Storm and thus could win the duel. He did have another monster that reduced effect damage to zero, as well as a Spell card that lowered Holy Angel's attack point, so it didn't come down to just his new monster exactly. Still, without it, he probably wouldn't have won the duel, or at least not that quickly, and that does really bother me. Even Aoi realized that she wasn't putting the pressure on him and that he was taking that damage in preparation of activating his Skill, which kind of took a huge hit on my enjoyment of the duel. Obviously, Yusaku was going to win. They aren't going to have the main character lose this early and the Knights of Hanoi's involvement could have been a problem if he did lose to Aoi. He could have possibly avoided Ignis being taken by Onizuka before, but I don't know if Yusaku could have done that after Aoi unwillingly became a Knight of Hanoi. I think my problem was how they presented the twist. I think it was supposed to make Yusaku look cool with how he took all of that damage for his own strategy, but it mainly made me think that he's a boring Gary Stu with heavy plot armor. His strategy didn't really feel more impressive to me, although I at least liked that he didn't win with Decode Talker again for once. Yusaku is just too perfect and that makes him seriously boring to me.

I did kind of like how Aoi was able to fight of Hanoi's influence as long as she did. The outcome was still obvious, but it showed a bit of her own determination and strength. Although, the fact that she said that she is Blue Angel does make me wonder about her identity. Part of that could have been not wanting to give away her identity in case someone heard her, but she might see Blue Angel as her real self more than as Aoi, which could be interesting. Of course, the card that the Knights of Aoi would be a Dark monster. I understand that it gave them full control over Aoi, but I wonder if everyone saw her glowing in red while she was screaming. Yusaku was able to overcome that last combo as well.

Akira trying desperately to stop the duel was a nice touch to show his concern. I figured that Yusaku would have to win in order to save Aoi, or prevent her from having more mental damage in this case. Showing her crying while also mentally falling could show how much she was fighting against the control, but it also felt like a bit too much emotional manipulation. It was sad, but the imagery and the music were trying to play it up a lot. Part of it could have also been just me since I'm still trying to figure out if I like Aoi, if I just like her deck or both. She is more interesting than I expected, but I also don't have any faith that her story could be pulled off decently enough given the head writers' track record. Without factoring that part in, I'm still not sure how much I like her, so that scene does feel like trying really hard to make the audience sad for Aoi. It might be necessary story and/or character wise for Aoi to be brainwashed and put in a coma this early in the series, but it also feels like a bit early to put her in danger when the audience has only known about her for two episodes. It does help that she has been the main focus of these episodes and she does have more characterization than Yusaku did in the first couple of episodes, as well as possibly now for that matter, but I'm not sure if it's enough to really make me care about her being in danger yet. I like her more than Yusaku, so she has that going for her at least.

The aftermath of the duel could be interesting though. Akira could have more regrets over his relationship with Aoi, as well as possibly putting more effort into defeating Playmaker if he does end up blaming him for what happened to Aoi. How Yusaku handles the situation could also be interesting. He could feel guilty about putting Aoi in danger, especially when Aoi could have been safe if he did take up her initial challenge. Granted, he wouldn't known when exactly the Knights of Hanoi gave that card to Aoi, but since she was waiting for Playmaker before and basically made herself a target through that first challenge, that would have been the most likely time that she could have been targeted by the Knights of Hanoi. Yusaku didn't want to get Onizuka involved in these duels because of how dangerous they are, so seeing another person get hurt because of the Knights could have some interesting effects for him personally. Yusaku could really benefit from having more personality too.

14. zoombie

Episode 8

Well I wonder how long till Akira finds out Yusaku is Playmaker. After the hospital time, only a mater of time till he puts two and two together.

So Ema is a super hacker, if she had goal beyond money, she could cause that damage, very OP.

So we have Yusaku vs Revolver already, this series is moving fast. And after Aoi is revived, I wonder how that will effect her character, as well as Yusaku and Akira's character.

15. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm kind of surprised that more people don't recognize Yusaku as Playmaker. I know that he didn't want to reveal who he really was during these fights, but it's kind of strange when everyone mixed up the counterparts in Arc V and just slightly different hair disguises Yusaku. He doesn't really act that differently as Playmaker either, so the fact that he can hide his identity is kind of weird.

I don't know if it's moving that fast with dialogue heavy episodes like this one. Plus, it's not too far off from when we typically get the first duel with the rival. Revolver was confirmed to be Yusaku's rival earlier. Even after Aoi is revived, Akira might be unwilling to let her get involved in Link Vrains again.

Anyway, I thought that this episode was okay. It was nice that Yusaku tried to get Blue Angel to wake up and he found Aoi on the roof. Akira's concern at the hospital seemed pretty genuine, although part of that could be the voice acting too. He seemed grateful for Yusaku's help, although the whole asking if he and Aoi were a couple seemed kind of weird. It's a typical kind of question for main male and female leads. It happened at least once or twice in Arc V too. But it seemed so forced in when nothing would imply that Aoi has been dating or that Yusaku was dating her simply because he found her.

I didn't think that Akira's superiors would find out about the Hanoi's card within his sister. I would have thought that they just assumed it was Playmaker's doing, but they were being smart in not just taking Akira's words at face value. He was already concerned over Aoi being in a coma, but he had to deal with most likely losing his position. He accepted that possibility pretty well, but then he hired Ema for more help because he didn't want to lose the chance to get a hold of Playmaker.

It was pretty obvious that the Blue Angle challenging Yusaku to duel was a fake, but Yusaku would want to go after her anyway. While I still don't like the whole listing three things gimmick the show has, it made sense as to why Yusaku would still want to confront this fake Blue Angle, even though Ignis was also right in that the groups can't be easily confronted or reasoned with. It was pretty obvious that Ema was the fake Blue Angle. The previous scene with Akira hiring Ema made that pretty clear, although I did like how the way she spoke gave her away too. I actually kind of liked that the trap was bigger than anyone expected. For once, Yusaku wasn't ahead of his opponent and wasn't perfect. I know that I was supposed to be worried about his safety, but I was just thinking how good it was that he wasn't absolutely flawless for once.

Ema's VR form felt a bit lacking design wise, but she's supposed to be a hired for money hacker, so I guess it fits. Ghost Girl as a code name is pretty cool though. I wasn't expecting Akira to confront Yusaku directly, but he was worried over Aoi's safety and would want answers on how to save her. As expected, he didn't believe anything Yusaku was trying to tell him, was putting all of the blame for what happened to Aoi on him and was willing to torture the information out of Yusaku in order to get it. Plus, he probably enjoyed getting to unleash his rage and grief towards Yusaku. Again, I'm pretty sure that the audience is supposed to be worried about Yusaku, but I was just excited that he was struggling for once and that he didn't have an easy solution to his problem. I don't dislike Yusaku, but he's so bland and boring. He has no conflict beyond his vague tragic backstory, which isn't interesting enough on its own for me, and doesn't really have any flaws. It's why stuff like "Oh Yusaku talking to a girl is so impossible" confused me because there was no indication of that being a challenge for Yusaku and his interactions with Aoi didn't seem any different from how he has talked to other people. He's distant, quite and calm, but that isn't necessarily the same as being shy, lonely or socially awkward. He already seems too perfect on and off the dueling field and that does make it harder for me to find him compelling. Characters need some flaws or conflicts to overcome and Yusaku doesn't really have that yet. Seeing that he would have been struggling against Akira for awhile if it wasn't for Revolver showing up was just kind of refreshing.

It was expected that Revolver would show up now that Yusaku was captured. His plan to lure out Yusaku made sense, although saying that he could have targeted anyone was kind of a kick against Aoi's storyline. It makes her situation as the damsel in distress much less impactful if even the villains admitted that they could have used anyone. Plus, I'm not sure if Yusaku has a sense of justice per say. He mentioned that he had a responsibility to find out how to help Aoi before, but that could easily be because he did feel responsible for putting someone in danger. If Yusaku had taken up on Blue Angel's initial challenge, it's quite possible that they could have dueled without the Knights of Hanoi influencing Aoi. Granted, Yusaku wouldn't know about that, but I thought that they were going to show more of Yusaku feeling guilty or regretting how he didn't accept the duel at first. That would probably make Yusaku look less cool if he showed any kind of sadness or regret.

Akira was put in a tough choice with whether or not to let Yusaku go, but his hands were tied. He could only save Aoi if he allowed them to duel and if Yusaku wins. I liked how Akira tried to talk to Yusaku. He knew that Yusaku was telling the truth and thought that he's hate him for torturing him, but Yusaku only hated the Knights of Hanoi. He probably also didn't blame Akira for not believing him right off the bat. He didn't really have any proof and Akira wasn't going to believe Yusaku's words at face value either.

I wasn't expecting Yusaku to duel Revolver just yet myself, but it could be an interesting match. Maybe they'll finally explain why Link Vrains is so important if they're altering so much during this match. Revolver's deck might be interesting and we could get some insight on the main conflict beyond vague flashbacks/statements.

16. Radical

Radical The Face of Evil & Epicness!!!!!

Episode 8 was pretty sweet/engaging,

Love Possessed Aoi/Blue Angel, but nice of Yusaku/Playmaker and Ignis to save her.

Poor Aoi in a coma, but nice of Akira developing on caring for his sister and wanting to save her:D.

Yusaku/Akira first meeting was great.

I pity poor Akira though as much as his SOL Technology superiors are pretty angered.

Akira wanting to capture Playmaker and Ema being a master hacker was interesting.

Yusaku wanting to save/cure Aoi was great, he'll develop to be less Lelouch-like/anti-social to have supporting friends.

Ema using the Aoi/Blue Angel lure to capture Playmaker was great.

Ema's alter-ego Ghost Girl is cool, still an awesome interesting female enemy, I'll see more to her character further episodes:D.

Cool seeing Revolver.

A nice touch Akira knows that it's the Knights of Hanoi's evil work on corrupting Aoi/Blue Angel.

Akira trusting Playmaker to save Aoi/Blue Angel was great.

I'll enjoy Yusaku/Playmaker vs. Revolver.

Next episode preview: Yusaku/Playmaker vs. Revolver begins, sweet, I'll see his sweet new deck/powerful monsters:D.

17. zoombie

Episode 9

Yusaku and Revolver start their duel and they put on quite a show. All or nothing, too bad it is probably going to end in a draw.

Though looking at Yusku is going to lose, how is he going to get out of this one, will Ema get involved? How long will the duel last.

Next episode, the duel continues so I guess Yusaku survived.

18. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I don't know how ending the duel in a draw would necessarily be bad. It's far too early for Revolver to lose when this is their first match and there's too much on the line for Yusaku to lose now as well. While it would be interesting to see Yusaku handle losing an important duel, feeling guilty for not being able to save Aoi and knowing that the Knights of Hanoi would be closer to their goal with Ignis, I doubt that they'd go in that direction. The show doesn't have the guts to make Yusaku look like anything less than perfect and any flaws they attempt to give him feel forced and inconsistent. The whole Yusaku talking to a girl is impossible bit is a prime example of that.

I doubt that Ema is going to do anything other than be the cool mysterious girl providing footage of the duel. She may duel at some point, but I doubt that they'd have someone else involved with Yusaku's first duel against Revolver. He does still have that faced down card, so that will probably give him some way to survive the duel. I've heard that the duel is going to last four episodes based on the previews, although I don't know if that has changed. I don't keep up with the preview information for Vrains as much as I did for Arc V since I'm still not into the series. I still forget that Wednesdays mean that a new Vrains episode is out.

Why would they have Yusaku lose and spoil it in the preview? If he was going to lose right then and there, they wouldn't have a reaction shots from different characters to end this episode with. Not to mention they wouldn't have their first duel be just one episode long. That would be pretty anticlimactic.

Anyway, I thought that this episode was okay. Revolver didn't seem to care that Yusaku hated him, even going as far as to say that he's just another people who hates their organization. That makes me wonder how well known the Knights of Hanoi are. They aren't a secret since Playmaker is known for fighting against the knights, but if they're that bad, then it makes me wonder why Yusaku is seemingly the only one trying to stop them. It's possible that there are others trying to fight against the knights in a less direct manner, but it seems a bit odd. It was also strange how Revolver seemingly was against the way technology and the Internet affects people, despite how he's a hacker himself. It probably has to do with his own vague backstory. I thought that Yusaku would have picked up on the whole Ignis name in the previous episode, but I doubt that will make him call Ignis by anything else. There was already plenty on the line with getting the recovery program for Aoi, but I guess that they wanted to mention that Ignis would get his body back if they win. He'd probably still be stuck in Yusaku's duel disk, but at least there would be more to him than a giant eyeball.

I didn't see much of the point of altering Link Vrains to make it look more destructive during their duel. I guess it was to make it seem more intense or dramatic, but it just reminded me of how much flashy flare the show tries to pull off as being cool. Plus, not knowing why Link Vrains is so darn important still doesn't make me particularly care about how much he destroy it.

The duel itself was off to an okay start. I should have expected that Revolver used a Dragon themed deck. He was labeled as the main rival of the series. Plus, he was the original user of Cracking Dragon. Revolver was able to make use of Cracking Dragon's effect right away by giving Yusaku two Dragon tokens. Yusaku going straight into a Link summoning sequence was pretty boring though. He was able to avoid Cracking Dragon's effect, but considering he has done the same think to bring out Decode Talker for the past two duels, it's getting pretty old. At least he had a new strategy to power up Decode Talker. He did take a thousand points of damage, but he was able to destroy Cracking Dragon and attack Revolver directly.

Of course, because Yusaku was doing so well and already ahead of Revolver in terms of life points and monsters, there was going to be a comeback for Revolver. Yusaku could even sense Revolver's strong determination. The brief flash to little Yusaku when Ignis asked when he started to sense the network probably means that it ties into his vague tragic backstory. It still wouldn't surprised me if Yusaku turns out to be something like a human embodiment of Link Vrains considering how often he has been able to sense problems going on in Link Vrains right as they're happening.

Revolver wasn't phased at all by Yusaku taking out Cracking Dragon and was happy to have the field cleared. He was able to summon out some more dragons, which did have pretty good designs. I didn't expect that he would have the same Skill as Yusaku. While that doesn't make the Skill significantly less cheap, especially when Ignis acted as if the Skill should have been exclusive to Yusaku due to his own programming, at least it's better than Yusaku being the only one to have that cheap Skill. Revolver's Topologic Bomber Dragon was was okay design wise. It was in the shadow for most of this part of the episode and it didn't look too much like a dragon, probably due to being more mechanical as a Cyberse, but it was okay. I don't know why Ignis was that upset over Revolver using a Cyberse monster. I guess trying to destroy Cyberse would make the decision to use a monster more strange, but I don't know if that makes him more evil. Topologic Bomber Dragon was so broken effect wise though. If another monster is special summoned to a zone where a Link Monster's arrow is pointed towards, all of the monsters on the Main Field are destroyed. It did result in Revolver taking in that eight hundred points of damage from Yusaku's monster, but it wasn't enough to defeat him. Plus, after destroying Decode Talker, he was able to inflict battle damage equal to its original attack points to Yusaku's life points. Having just one of those effects would be fine, but both of them makes it a pretty overpowered card. It's not surprised that they'd give the rival/villain a card like that, but it doesn't make it any less overpowered.

Despite the whole dramatic final image, it's obvious that Yusaku isn't going to lose. I don't know how he'll get out of it, although I suspect his fact down card will play help him out. I'm more surprised that the preview seemed to them into a different location. They mentioned a Master Duel, so I wonder if they'll have a regular duel somehow. Maybe Yusaku was about to lose when they were pushed into the Data Storm and had to restart the duel. I don't know if they'd go as restart the duel, especially when that would be rather cheap, but it does look like they're just standing instead of having a Speed Duel. One of my problems with the series has been the lack of regular duels. I know that they want to focus on Speed Duels as the cool new way to duel, but there's no balance between that and regular duels to make it work. Maybe they'll start having that balance with the rest of this match.

19. zoombie

I am all for a draw. Just too bad for both of them, but for story telling yeah it makes sense.

20. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

A draw would probably be the second best outcome for Yusaku though. He potentially wouldn't have to lose Ignis to Revolver if both of them lose the duel. They may try to use the a draw to say that neither one gets what they want, but I could easily see Revolver still giving Akira the recovery program for Aoi even with a possible draw. Maybe it would be like he doesn't need to use Aoi to lure Playmaker out anymore or they'll try to claim that he is a good person or does care despite using her as bait for Playmaker. Ignis might not get a chance to get his body back in the event of a draw, but I think that the chances of Aoi being saved regardless of the outcome are decent. Although, the chances are just as good, if not higher, that Aoi could be out of commission even longer.

EDIT: An example of how the duel could still work out in Yusaku's favor would be when Yuma dueled against Kaito. Technically, it was Astral vs. Kaito until Yuma showed up and they used the power of Zexal, but they still had a duel and the match ended in a draw. Neither side gained any numbers, but Kaito did return Shark's soul. Granted, I'm hoping that a draw for this match would be better handled than that one. Not only because I didn't like the power of Zexal or how it came up when Yuma and Astral only started to feel like friends, but Kaito keeping Shark's soul in the first place was so inconsistent with how they were trying to present him and felt like unnecessary tension. He already took Yuma's key. He didn't need Shark's soul on top of that. Still, I could see something like that happening for Yusaku vs. Revolver. Neither side won't make significant progress towards their respective goals in the event of a draw, but Revolver could still give the recovery program to save Aoi's life.

#60 Light Lucario, Jul 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2017