1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Yu-Gi-Oh! Vrains Discussion

Discussion in 'The Anime Forum' started by Gold Guy, Dec 17, 2016.

1. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

• Like Like x 1
  2. jaylop97

jaylop97 Commonly found at Night

I look forward to the next anime and neat the character starts continues the beginning letter Y thing for the anime. It would be neat to see another anime with an older protagonist like in 5Ds but I get a feeling from his ign that he is probably an older teen.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Yeah, that is pretty sad, especially when Nicktoons has barely started the tournament arc. There's also a good possibility that it will take even longer for this series to be out in the U.S. because of how slow they are with getting Arc-V episodes on the air. So either Nicktoons will have to give some weekday slots for the series or 4K Media goes for some legal streaming to go through Arc-V and then lead into this series, which is the more likely option, if they want to start this series a hundred episodes behind the original version too.

Yusei was technically an older teen too since he was eighteen when 5D's began. Every series aside from GX has continued the tradition of the protagonist starting off with a Yu name as well. Yusaku doesn't look much older than fourteen or fifteen tops. Given the target demographic for the series, I think that's more fitting to be honest than a lead who is already considered an adult in most countires.

Anyway, I'm honestly a bit sad. I usually have some kind of sadness whenever a Yu-Gi-Oh! series, even Zexal to a lesser extent, but it's especially hard here when I love Arc-V so much. It is by far my favorite series in the franchise and while it has been clearly entering its endgame for quite some time in the original version, the thought of the series ending still makes me feel sad. I feel like this whenever any show I really likes end and it will get easier eventually, but dealing with the initial announcement is kind of difficult.

On the bright side, I'll be able to talk about this series without going on Yu-Gi-Oh! specific sites. All of the ones I have been to are either awful from the start or mutate into being awful with people insulting me or getting on my case for what I like so I won't have to deal with that stress at least. Especially when I could already see people being on my case if I don't like this series and claim that I'm just biased due to Arc-V. And this isn't a DM reboot like I thought could happen. Given the amount of nostalgia trains in Japan, I wouldn't have put it passed them to somehow make a new DM series because nostalgia money. As interesting as a DM reboot could be, I would rather see them continuing making new series with new characters if I was given the choice since I honestly do prefer most of the spin-offs over DM at this point, so that helps a bit too.

As for the design for the lead, I kind of like it. He definitely has Yu-Gi-Oh! protagonist hair. Yusaku's hair reminds me a lot of Yuma's, particularly with how pointy it is and he even has some pink spikes to it. I do like his outfit. It looks like a school uniform, but it's a pretty neat one. I also like the information on him, particularly that Yusaku doesn't want to stand out. That already sounds like a relatable kind of issue kids would have, I could see it working with the theme they mentioned quite nicely and it serves as a nice contrast to Yuya who does want to stand out as the best Entertainment Duelist. There is some nice bit of potential there. I am surprised that we didn't get the title. I'm pretty sure that we've always gotten the title of the new series along with a new protagonist. I know that was the case for at least Zexal and Arc-V when they were announced, but they have a few months to start hyping up this series anyway.

While I am still sad with Arc-V ending sooner rather than later, I do hope that I'll like this series too. I don't think any series can click with me as much as Arc-V has, but the show is not perfect by any means and I do hope that this series will be a fun well written series with good characters too.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Whoa, another new one? How long does each series last? Two years? One year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Each series usually runs for about four years; GX from 2004 - 2008, 5D's from 2008 - 2011, Zexal from 2011 - 2014, and Arc-V from 2014 to 2017. I suppose this new show will run from 2017 to 2020, if the pattern continues.

6. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I think it's more like three years since 5D's at least. GX lasted for four and DM lasted about four or five if I recall correctly. Each series does tend to have fewer episodes than the previous one, although we don't know how many episodes Arc-V will have compared to Zexal just yet.

7. MarshyMoon15

MarshyMoon15 New Member

I really hope 4K and Crunchyroll will simulcast the new Yu-Gi-Oh series. The legal subs for Arc-V, 5Ds, GX, and DM must be doing well for them so maybe there could be a chance. That would be a much better option for the series than waiting a year to produce a dub and to put it on Nicktoons where they would treat it horribly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

As cool as a simulcast would be, I don't know if that's too likely to happen. They seem to be interested in using the DVD quality episodes for the legal subs based on how they've handled them thus far. It does allow for people to see the episodes in the best possible quality, but it does mean waiting quite a long time before they put up the legal subs.

9. Radical

Radical The Face of Evil & Epicness!!!!!

I'll enjoy the next epic Yu-Gi-Oh! spinoff series next to Pokemon Sun and Moon/Beyblade Burst, the next new hero protagonist Yusaku looks awesome/likable after Yugi, Jaden, Yusei, and Yuya, looking like Yuya with a cool different designed spiky hairstyle, great character design on him, I'll enjoy the new characters and love its next great plot/storyline and "save the world" formula.

I'll love the next great supporting female protagonist after Tea, Alexis, Akiza/Luna, Tori, and Yuzu:D.
    I'll enjoy the next antagonist/creep rival anti-hero after loving Shark/Kite, and Declan(Reiji)/Sylvio(Shingo).

I'm sad that Yu-Gi-Oh! Arc-V is ending soon as much as it was my top favorite awesome Yu-Gi-Oh! spinoff series ever with its amazing plot/storyline with the different dimensions, I'll so miss it after Yu-Gi-Oh! GX, 5D's, and Zexal.

I hope DisneyXD gets it next to Pokemon/Beyblade Burst.

#9 Radical, Dec 24, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
  10. ToonJay723

ToonJay723 Bingo Bongo

I knew this was gonna happen. I predict Disney XD will get this, since they've been getting into acquiring toyetic anime as of late.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Either that or they'll go with some streaming site. I'm sure Konami and 4K Media wouldn't want that to happen, but at this point, it might be the best option for them if no other TV channel wants the franchise. There was no good reason to stick with Nicktoons for Arc-V after what happened with Zexal and if they still stick with the channel for this new series, then that would be just terrible. At least Disney XD would treat it better than Nicktoons most likely would. Having Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh! airing on the same channel again would be really nice for me too. It's one of the main reasons I was hoping for Cartoon Network to get Arc-V before.

If Disney XD doesn't want the franchise and Nicktoons for some reason is still their only option for a TV airing, they're better off streaming the series on Crunchyroll or something. They're just a little over thirty episodes into Arc-V on Nicktoons, while it's close to finishing its run in Japan and most other countries are well ahead of the English airings. Even the first DVD release for the dub had more episodes than what Nicktoons had aired when it first came out. It is just beyond pathetic and they really shouldn't stick with Nicktoons if that it their only means of a TV airing for the franchise.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. LDEJRuff

LDEJRuff Wish-making dog lover

I wonder what the next card will be. The original Duel Monsters and GX has Monster, Spell and Trap cards. 5D's gave us Tuner and Synchro Monster cards. zeXal brought us Xyz Monsters. And Arc-V introduced Pendulum Monsters and the Pendulum Summon.

13. dumbfoolkid5

dumbfoolkid5 Active Member

Geez don't we have enough card game anime already?

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  14. TheGreatOne2

TheGreatOne2 Active Member

Just letting you all know 4K Media has dubbed upto ep 99 of Yu-Gi-Oh Arc v so far. I do not whats taking the U.S so long to catch up to Australia which has aired episode 99 on Dec 2. It will be a few years before the u.s even see this new yu-gi-oh anime at this stage. I am assuming 4k media will dub this new yu-gi-oh anime as well

• Like Like x 1
  15. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Monster, Spell and Trap cards weren't new for GX. Those are basic cards of the game, the only difference is that Magic cards became Spells due to the whole Magic The Gathering game. Focusing on a specific type of card didn't happen until GX and they didn't start introducing new summoning mechanics until 5D's. Although, I don't know what they'll add at this point.

I don't know how many other card game anime we have besides this franchise.

I've heard that they aired that much in Canada, but I forgot about Australia too. Nicktoons is just awful when it comes to airing the series on their channel. They never aired all of Zexal and at this rate, we'll be lucky to see anything past the tournament arc airing on TV. I'm sure that 4K Media will dub this series too, but they'll really need to work on a better way to release it. The Arc-V dub was already about two years behind the Japanese version by the time it started airing in the U.S. I was hoping for the gap between the two versions to shorten over time, but it has gotten actively worse instead, which is quite a shame.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Off the top of my head, just Cardfight and Future Card Buddyfight. If there are any others, they aren't licensed. Anyway, I don't think there's too many card game anime at the moment. Heck, we probably have more video game anime right now.

17. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Oh yeah. I forgot all about those series. I've seen a bit of Cardfight, but nothing of Future Card Buddyfight, so that probably didn't help. It doesn't seem like there are that much card game anime series out. There seems to be much less toyetic anime series out there nowadays compared to the 90's and early 2000's. Plus, another Yu-Gi-Oh! series was pretty expected. The franchise is still pretty successful and they've been putting a lot of time in promoting both The Darkside of Dimension and the 20th anniversary in Japan. As long as the franchise keeps making enough money, they'll make more series to promote the card game.

• Like Like x 1
  18. RDG

RDG Aspiring animator/filmmaker and Ugliest Man Alive

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Yeah, we finally got a title for the new series. It's going to be Yu-Gi-Oh! Vrains, which still sounds odd to me. Maybe I'm just used to thinking of it as the sixth series, but the title sounds so odd to me. It does tie in with the VR gimmick and I've heard it's supposed to be a combination of VR and Brains, but it still looks and sound so unnatural to me. I'll probably get used to it after awhile.

I've seen the image of Yusaku with his ace monster and while dueling in VR. It did not leave a good impression on me. He basically looks like a Zexal form with the hair color change and it doesn't help that he has the same expression as he does in the first official art for him. I still like the concept behind Yusaku where he doesn't want to stand out in high school and using a dueling persona to stand out. That's still neat, but visually, it didn't leave a good first impression. It will probably look better when we see him in motion and can see more of a contrast between his high school self and his VR dueling self too.

Plus, first impressions are important, but they won't necessarily determine how I'll feel about the characters and the show itself. I still remember thinking how Yuzu and Gongenzaka looked so much like Kotori and Tetsuo from Zexal and they couldn't be any different from those characters. Not to mention they've become some of my favorite characters in Arc-V. Even Reiji sounded like the most blatant attempt to create Kaiba 2.0, but he really didn't turn out to be that much like him despite similar details about their characters.

• Like Like x 1
  20. RDG

RDG Aspiring animator/filmmaker and Ugliest Man Alive