Yu-Gi-Oh GX DVD Release Thread (Cinedigm)

Discussion in 'The Anime Forum' started by 4Kids4EverFandom, Jul 10, 2014.

1. 4Kids4EverFandom

4Kids4EverFandom Active Member

So far only the completed first season set of GX Season 1 has been listed on amazon.com and it will be released in October 14, 2014
    http://www.amazon.com/Yu-Gi-Oh-Gx-Season-1/dp/B00LOCLBQU/ref=pd_rhf_dp_p_d_1

Widescreen?? This has got to be an error.

I wonder if they are going to release the Final Season 4 DVD as either an English Dub only released on DVD, or english Subtitled DVD?

Thoughts? Purchase??

2. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator

There's no way that they'll dub the rest of the series for these box set releases. Dubbing is expensive and I doubt that the sales from the DVD releases would be enough to warrant the cost of dubbing season four and the clip show episode at the end of season three. It also doesn't help that GX doesn't promote the newest cards and there are more material that they need to dub that does promote more recent cards like the rest of Zexal, Arc-V and eventually the new movie. I honestly wouldn't mind if they did go back to finish dubbing GX, especially when I hated how 4Kids ended it with heavily implying that Jaden had died, but there's just no way that's going to happen.

As for a subtitled only release for season four, that's pretty unlikely too. I don't think that there would be any legal trouble with Yugi's voice actor appearing in the last two episodes since I believe the contract issue is only for DM, which is also why they could release the subbed version of Bonds Beyond Time. However, I don't think that the demand for subbed Yu-Gi-Oh! is strong enough to warrant a subbed only DVD box set release. I think that subbed only anime DVD releases don't tend to sell as well as dubbed/subbed anime DVD releases, so it's even less unlikely that the DVD set would sell well enough for 4K Media. It also doesn't help that there hasn't been any signs of GX being legally subbed. They still haven't finished subbing 5D's, despite being near the end of the series, and I think that they only have the first thirty episodes of Zexal subbed. I'd totally buy it just to show support for legal subs of the series, but that's even more unlikely to happen than for them to finish dubbing GX.

While a part of me does want to buy this, or at least future season sets due to how I already have all of GX's first season on the original DVD releases from 4Kids, the fact that this series is an incomplete dub is a major turnoff. It doesn't even have a conclusion like they tried to do for 5D's. If they had been able to dub at least the ending to season three to give the series some bit of closure, then maybe this would be more tempting than it actually is for me. Still, at least the spin-off series are finally getting DVD releases.

3. Dragonpiece

Dragonpiece New Member

I don't know, I grew with this show and enjoyed it, but without a proper conclusion, eh...

4. Gold Guy

Gold Guy This ain't Pokemon!

I agree Lucario and DragonPiece. Its a good show, and I want to buy it, but if the release is incomplete....

However, if they sub the final season, then I'll buy it.

5. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator

If they sub the final season and release it on DVD, I will be shocked beyond compare. Putting a subbed version of the season on their official site sounds much more likely than putting it out on DVD. I'd buy it if they did, but there's even less of a chance that they'll do than if they dub the rest of the series.

6. Dragonpiece

Dragonpiece New Member

Didn't 4kids do this? I feel like they did.

7. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator

They started to put subbed versions of 5D's and Zexal on Hulu, if that's what you're referring to. There was also the short lived uncut DVDs, which did include a subbed version, although I think it included the dub names and English names for the cards, but there was also an uncut dub to go along with it. They never released a subbed only DVD as far as I know. While I could see 4K Media subbing GX and putting it online, I really can't see them putting a subbed only DVD for any series. I don't think that the demand for uncut Yu-Gi-Oh! is strong enough for something like that to happen at this point.

8. Mister Mayhem

Mister Mayhem Active Member

Comrades,

new video group released their first sub only release back in april of the anime saint seiya and will release their second sub only release next week for the anime mononoke. if the first three yugioh gx sets sell well enough and if 4k media is willing to subtitle the season four episodes, a dvd release is not beyond the realm of possibility.

9. DonkeyKongSong

DonkeyKongSong Active Member

Yeah, but Saint Seiya had a stronger demand for an uncut release, especially a sub-only release. It has a much bigger sub fanbase here in the US due to the fact that it's not toyetic and its dub was even worse received and bombed.

10. PokemonTVDub

PokemonTVDub Member

There's also the issue with ADK/NAS/TV Tokyo. A subbed version of Season 4 (In fact, there isn't a subbed version of any GX episode on Hulu) isn't available on Hulu, so maybe like the original Yu-Gi-Oh!, it's not available to acquire. So I wouldn't expect Season 4 to be released in a subbed form, and definitely not in a dubbed form.

11. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator

I don't really see how that means anything. The situations with Saint Seiya is completely different and there has been more demand for that to be subbed than something like GX, so just because they released a subbed only DVD release doesn't mean that they can do it for any series.

Actually, I don't think that there are any legal issues with subbing GX. The contract issues for Yugi's Japanese voice actor only affected subbing DM, so it shouldn't affect his work on GX, especially when they could release the anniversary movie subbed with no problem there. The other issue would be Bakura's first voice actor's estate since she passed on I think after Duelist Kingdom, so that wouldn't affect GX. I also recall that one of the 4Kids employees saying that they were trying to sub the episodes of GX that they didn't dub. There was a thread about it here a few years ago. I believe he was answering questions on Reddit and he was a music employee. This was well after they had started subbing 5D's, although I don't know if they had already started subbing Zexal by that point. I'm also pretty sure that in their initial announcement to sub more series after 4Kids couldn't release DM raw episodes anymore, they included GX. The reason why that didn't happen most likely was due to 4Kids' crumbling financial situation and their own legal trouble in regards to the license to the franchise.

I don't think that there would be any legal problems in acquiring the original version of GX, at least compared to DM which is unfortunately full of a lot of legal red tape for them to go through to get, but I'm not sure why they haven't started subbing it now. Although, I'm also not sure why they haven't bothered to finish 5D's or do more with Zexal when they barely have half of the first season either. They might be spending all of their attention to getting any streaming issues fixed so that they can people can watch internationally, as I believe that was one of the details they mentioned for the official site awhile ago.

12. PokemonTVDub

PokemonTVDub Member

Remember, Yugi's voice actor, Shunsuke Kazama, returns for the final two episodes of GX, so we could probably face the same legal issues, unless the unlikely Season 4 releases consists of all but the final two episodes. The reason why I think the anniversary movie was able to be released with the original audio outside of Asia is because the whole issue with Shunsuke Kazama happened back in 2009, before the movie was made. So Shunsuke's contract for the movie was probably modified to include the rights to release his work outside of Asia. So it's quite possible Shunsuke could stop any GX release with his voice in it if his contract for GX wasn't any different from that of the original Yu-Gi-Oh!

13. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator

I did mention his work on GX, so there's no need to remind me of that since I'm aware of the fact that he appears in the last two episodes. He also technically appears in the first episode of the series, but only for a couple of lines. Technically speaking, the issue with Shunsuke Kazama started back with the uncut DVD releases. I remember a podcast on Anime News Network with a 4Kids employee a few years ago where he confirmed that the same voice actor contract issues that stopped them from uploading DM raws also forced them to stop releasing the uncut DVDs.

Shunsuke Kazama isn't the one making it difficult for DM to be subbed. It's really ADK because they chose not to renew his contract for DM. I'm pretty sure that Shunsuke Kazama himself isn't involved in the problem. According to this site, there's a chance that GX wasn't affected by the contract: [4Kids-YouTube] Removal of Yu-Gi-Oh! Episodes was due to Nonrenewal of Japanese Voice Actor’s Contract by ADK | In the Name of The Pharaoh - Japanese Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters Episodes - Raw and Subbed Since GX was produced and completed a few years after DM, it most likely doesn't prevent them from subbing GX. They do mention the possibility that it does, but if they weren't able to sub GX, I doubt that they would have initially announced GX as one of the series they were planning on subbing or they would still be looking into subbing the episodes they didn't dub a few years after this issue came up. I think that Q&A session with the music employee at 4Kids came around either in 2011 or 2012, so if they were looking into subbing the skipped episodes of GX around that time, then they most likely weren't having the problems with Yugi's voice in the last couple of episodes of GX.

14. PokemonTVDub

PokemonTVDub Member

I just think it's pretty obvious 4K Media (And 4Kids before them) doesn't have the rights to distribute the subtitled version of the original Yu-Gi-Oh! and GX since neither is available on Hulu, unlike 5D'S and Zexal. And even if 4K Media was able to buy those rights, it wouldn't be worth it now. Why bother putting money into a season of a series that's almost seven years old and holds no commercial-worth since Zexal cards are the newest merchandise, and soon Arc-V. And don't even think about a dub, as that would cost even more. How I see it, 4K Media would be paying more than they would get back from distributing Season 4 onto DVD since it's really only known by the hardcore anime fans and wouldn't match the other three seasons, which are dubbed.

The only reason we had the option of the Japanese audio on the "Bonds Beyond Time" movie is because the dub had been made for it and since they made no time edits, were able to overlay the Japanese audio without anything going out of sync. While it would be nice to have Season 4, it's just not possible and not worth 4K Media's time in acquiring when that money could go elsewhere, like towards the upcoming Arc-V dub.

15. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator

There legal problems with DM due to contract issues, but I don't think that's affecting GX due to what I've mentioned already. At the very least, I don't think that it's as likely that GX has the same legal red tape problems that DM has given that 4Kids was looking into subbing it during their last couple of years. I imagine that the reason why they didn't sub it was because of wanting to get more recent series subbed first and their crumbling financial condition. I don't think that getting the rights to sub the series would be that expensive, especially compared to dubbing the episodes. They clearly know that there is demand for subbed Yu-Gi-Oh!, despite how they haven't updated either 5D's or Zexal in ages, so that could make them at least be willing to check into subbing GX for their website. If you had read my first post in this thread, you would know that I said that there's no way that they'll dub the rest of the series or release the season subbed on DVD. Dubbing would be far too expensive and releasing the season subbed wouldn't be worthwhile financially speaking either. But in regards to legally subbing GX and putting it up on their official site, I would say that there's a decent chance for that to happen. At the very least, it's more likely to happen than legal DM subs since that series definitely has a lot of legal red tape to deal with. Since the contract issue seemed to have only affected DM, there's at least some chance that GX could be unaffected.

I'm not sure if that was the only reason why they included the sub option for Bonds Beyond Time. Getting season four in subbed format online is possible, at least more so than getting DM subs anytime soon, and 4K Media's money could honestly go to both that and Arc-V's dub. It certainly won't be released on DVD, but I don't think it would be a waste of time and money to get it for online subs either. It will probably take some time to deal with it, but I wouldn't say that it's not possible.

16. Mister Mayhem

Mister Mayhem Active Member

[FONT=&amp]Comrade,

this all based on conjecture by fans, but apparently saint seiya being released subbed was mostly due to bungling and less because they wanted to appease fans of the original. for several months the set was listed as an english audio release. there were two dubs of the first saint seiya arc, an edited dic version and a uncut version by adv. neither of those dubs were complete. new video group/cinedigim, who has a history of quality control issues with their releases unsurprisingly delayed the saint seiya set to 2014. two months before it was released it was revealed that the dvd would not include a dub and was sub only. to make matters worse there are two different subs. an amateur one with lots of errors and a more professional version. guess which one got the dvd treatment lol.
    [/FONT]
    of course nas, gallop and konami have final say on what gets released but i was pointing out that cinedigm is not opposed to taking risks on manufacturing dvds of series that are not guaranteed moneymakers, whether they be dubbed or (poorly)subbed.

17. PokemonTVDub

PokemonTVDub Member

Well in that case, a DVD release of Season 4 subbed (Let's not even entertain the possibility of a dub because that boat's has long sailed) would be a definite flop. The only people who would really be buying it would be the hardcore anime fans, but then there would be the issue of the first three Seasons of GX being dub only, making it a huge unwanted mess. I don't even think it's worth 4K Media's time to release it subbed online. Pirated versions are already everywhere to be seen, so there's not much money to be made from doing it now. And personally, I'd much rather any money that would have gone into purchasing the rights to Season 4 of GX to instead go towards the current Zexal dub and upcoming Arc-V dub.

18. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator

With that logic, there would be no point in finishing subbing either 5D's or Zexal when pirated versions exist for those series too, especially when they haven't updated either series in quite a long time and both series have ended their runs in Japan. Besides that, there are pirated versions for various other series, but that doesn't stop other companies from releasing legal subs. I still don't think getting GX season four would be that expensive or difficult, at least compared to DM, and people would be interested in watching legal subs of it, especially if they can provide international streaming. I think that officially subbing GX would be worth it and I'd still say that they could get subs and work on the dubs. I don't think they'd be wasting money on getting GX officially subbed, especially when they already recognized that there is demand for Yu-Gi-Oh! subbed. There's no way that it will be released on DVD, but I would say that there's at least a decent sized possibility for it to be released online. It certainly isn't impossible or too difficult for them to do, especially when the contract issues primarily impact DM and not GX.

19. PokemonTVDub

PokemonTVDub Member

GX is older than 5D's and Zexal, so there's way more pirated versions of GX than those two. And unlike older releases that are getting recent releases, like Sailor Moon and Cardcaptors, which have popular demand to begin with, you can't argue the same for GX. In total, if I had to estimate, I'd say only 50-200 people would actually be interested in an official sub of GX, and that's being generous. Most people have already seen pirate subs, so what's the point of subbing Season 4 of GX if it's only ever going to be online and not contribute any promotion worth to the Yu-Gi-Oh! franchise? 5D's and Zexal are still fairly relative, especially Zexal. And long story short, there is no point in 4K Media wasting money, expensive or not, for a Season that's not even worth the effort. We might as well ask for Season 0 of Toei's Yu-Gi-Oh! with your logic.

I'm sorry, but unless you have a reason why it would be in 4K Media's best interest to stream this season subtitled almost seven years after it's original broadcast, I can't even believe in the possibility.From what I can see, the demand isn't big whatsoever. The only way I can see this working is if 4K Media intends to sub all the episodes, from the original Yu-Gi-Oh! DM to Arc-V, not just this season in particular. Either that or start a petition so an actual number can be gauged on how many people would actually want this.

20. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator

The Toei Yu-Gi-Oh! series is a completely different situation since the rights to that series aren't even connected to the companies in charge of the other series. That would require going through even more legal red tape than the other series, so that doesn't really work as a counter-argument, especially when GX has more marketing relevance than the Toei series does, it would be more possible to get GX subbed than the Toei series and wouldn't be as expensive either. While GX certainly doesn't have the same demand as something like Sailor Moon or Cardcaptor Sakura, my main point was how pirated versions being available for a long time isn't really a good enough reason for them to not legally sub it. DM is even older and 4Kids was trying to release that subbed before the legal problems prevented them from doing that.

I'm not going to throw out a number out of nowhere to say how many people would want GX in order to prove a point. I do know that people have wanted something to be done with GX season four due to how the dub skipped it and I think that there would be enough demand for them to sub GX, at least with season four. I don't think that they would need to sub everything from DM to Arc-V in order to sub GX or just to sub this particular season, especially when it's most likely more difficult to get through the legal red tape surrounding getting DM. If they're willing the sub Zexal when I heard of no one who wanted that series to be legally subbed, then I could see them getting GX subbed for the people who wanted to see season four. And I know that Zexal is more marketing relevant, but I definitely didn't hear any demand for that to be subbed compared to the other series and the whole point behind subbing the episodes is appealing to the older fans who have wanted that for years. While it's not a sure fire thing like perhaps legal Arc-V subs, I really don't think it's too difficult or expensive for them to get GX subbed, especially when it most likely isn't affected by the same legal issues that impacts DM subs.