Yu-Gi-Oh! Arc-V

Discussion in 'The Anime Forum' started by Light Lucario, Dec 11, 2013.

1. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator

So this happened:

Yu-Gi-Oh! Gets New Arc-V TV Anime Next Spring - News - Anime News Network

Despite figuring that Zexal was in its last arc, or at least second to last one, in the Japanese version, I was still surprised by the announcement. I thought that it would happen later this month if Zexal was about to wrap up. I do like the new lead's design. It leaves a good initial impression and the return of the coat cape is nice.

2. Gold Guy

Gold Guy This ain't Pokemon!

Huh, the picture doesn't give me a sci-fi vibe like the previous series. Interesting.

3. PokemonTVDub

PokemonTVDub Member

I guess that rumor about Zexal getting 300 episodes wasn't true after all (IIRC, there's only 136). Normally, if 4Kids was still dubbing, I'd say Arc-V wouldn't be the dub name. But since Konami is now running things, there's really no guess what will happen.

4. 4Kids4EverFandom

4Kids4EverFandom Active Member

Well, for goodness sakes i even asked them about on Yu-Gi-Oh Fan Pages and Toonzaki's Facebook page, haven't heard yet what there doing, but i hope, even though it seems likely that Both Yu-Gi-Oh Series will be dubbed at the same so that ZEXAL can be completed. I would love to see a Yu-Gi-Oh series being completed while they focus on the next series. Sure hope that happens.

5. PokemonTVDub

PokemonTVDub Member

I didn't even consider the fact they might actually not finish Zexal. We're only on Episode 17 of Zexal II and as of today, there's going to be at least 63 episodes in Zexal II. Factoring in the probable Christmas hiatus, we still have at least a year of episodes to get through. Either Vortexx starts airing two new episodes a week or Zexal may also end up being unfinished.

6. Frontier

Frontier Moderator Staff Member

Don't tell me they're not going to finish dubbing Zexal because of this :sad:.

Still, I'd been wondering what was next for the Yu-Gi-Oh! Franchise after Zexal, and it was about time for a new series.

I like the new protagonists design, especially the coat cape. That he looks to be a far more competent duelist than Yuma was at the beginning is also a positive.

The two monsters in the picture look cool. I wonder if Yuya, the protagonist, will be the first Yu-Gi-Oh! lead with two primary ace monsters from the beginning? Or, barring that, the one on the right is his real ace monster?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2013
  7. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator

That was a statement from the director of the LA Zexal dub. I think she said something about how the Japanese companies had planned for Zexal to be three-hundred episodes, or something along those lines, but that always sounded ridiculous to me. Even at that point of the series when that statement came out, it didn't look like Zexal could last three hundred episodes. I could have seen the series lasting maybe two hundred episodes at most, but even then, it would have been dragging the storyline a bit too much.

I'm not sure if they'll start airing two episodes of Zexal when they've just started airing season two of DM and I can't really see them removing another show on the lineup for Zexal, except for maybe Sonic X. Even if they don't, I'm not sure if they'll leave it incomplete. Konami has the money to dub both series at the same time, unlike 4Kids did, so there's still a chance that they could finish up Zexal while working on this new series.

Those may not be ace monsters. I remember that Zububa Knight was shown with Yuma instead of Hope. They might be some of his regular monsters he uses to summon his ace. They could also be some of the new kind of monster Arc-V will focus on, assuming they continue having the newest kind of monster being the center focus of a series. There should hopefully be more information in the next issue of V-Jump about this series.

8. gmster

gmster Active Member

Zexal premiered in Japan Spring 2011 after being announced the previous December, and the dub premiered Fall 2011.

Stands to reason we may see the Arc-V dub premiere Fall 2014 on Vortexx. That leaves the question of will 4K Media continue dubbing Zexal, or cut it short like GX and 5D's.

9. zoombie

zoombie Active Member

As for Zexal airing twice a dub, well Vortex still have to air Fusion, so that is one less time slot.

10. LegoFan224

LegoFan224 Member

Like I mentioned before in another thread, Konami will probably finish Zexal, because they have the money to. 4Kids didn't have enough money to dub both GX and 5D's in 2008, and 5D's and Zexal in 2011, so the previous series was dropped. In 2005, 4Kids did have enough money to dub both the original series and GX, which is why the original series had a complete dub.

11. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator

The popularity and how successful the DM dub was probably also contributed as to why they were able to finish it and start working on GX at the same time, but their financial condition was the reason they couldn't finish GX or 5D's. So, Konami should be able to finish Zexal since they are in a better financial position than 4Kids was.

12. gmster

gmster Active Member

GX being cut short was supposedly because Konami pressured 4Kids to get 5D's out the door as soon as possible. Unless the company attitude has changed, I wouldn't put much stock in it.

13. PokemonTVDub

PokemonTVDub Member

I agree. From what I remember, Konami wanted the new shows to coincide with the new cards, so I can't see why history won't repeat itself again with Zexal.

14. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator

That was never confirmed by 4Kids though. I'm sure that Konami wanted them to get 5D's out the door, but 4Kids said that they couldn't dub both series was because they didn't have the manpower/resources to do so. Konami pressuring them didn't come up when they were answering questions on their YouTube page. Konami pressuring them was only speculation, but nothing more than that. With 5D's, they said that it was canceled due to low ratings and going through bankruptcy didn't help either, so Konami didn't even come up. I honestly don't see why Konami would want one series to be incomplete anyway. Yes, they'd want to get to the newest cards, but if 4Kids could have finished one series, why stop them? It seems like a pretty stupid business decision, especially when it makes me wonder why would they even want to dub a series if they aren't going to bother to complete it.

If they have the resources to finish Zexal and start on Arc-V, then I think that they would do that. It isn't a guarantee, but I think it has a good chance to get a complete dub. I wouldn't be heartbroken if it was incomplete since Zexal is my least favorite series. It would annoy me a lot though since it would be yet another series with an incomplete dub. The fact that DM is still the only series with a complete dub is ridiculous and downright pathetic.

15. gmster

gmster Active Member

When Bacondevil was taking questions on Reddit, I'm pretty sure I remember him mentioning that Konami had influence over 4Kids' decision to shift their resources over to 5D's instead of finishing GX.

16. mumbo

mumbo Look skyward

It was still for financial reasons that 4Kids didn't finish GX or 5D's, though. 4Kids could have easily aired both the final season of GX and the first season of 5D's at the same time, like they did with DM and GX - a decision I'm sure was also made by Konami - but the GX dub wasn't successful enough for it to be worth it. Same with 5D's and Zexal.

However, by the time fall 2014 rolls around the Zexal dub should be almost done, so I think Konami will just go ahead and finish it while also debuting this new series. It's not as far behind as the 5D's and GX dubs were.

Anyway, I was expecting a new Yu-Gi-Oh! series this spring. 5D's ran for three years so I expected about the same out of Zexal, and Zexal II started at the one and a half year mark so I figured that was about the halfway mark. I'm interested to see what direction Arc-V will take, if it will be lighter like Zexal or go darker like 5D's. I have to say, though, that the Yu-Gi-Oh! franchise is resembling the original series less and less. GX and 5D's both bore more than a passing resemblance to DM, whereas Zexal and now Arc-V look like one of Yu-Gi-Oh!'s competitors rather than Yu-Gi-Oh! itself.

17. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator

I agree. If 4Kids had the money to finish GX and start 5Ds, I think that they would have. Konami may have pushed for them to get to 5D's sooner to tie in with the newest cards, but they weren't the ones to make the final decision. That was still 4Kids at the time and I don't think that they could have stopped them from finishing GX if they had the resources and financial stability to handle both dubs. If GX was more successful and they had more money, they probably would have finished at least that dub. With 5D's, it was the low ratings and going into bankruptcy that did that dub in.

That's a good point. As long as there isn't a long break between now and the fall, they should be close to the end of the series by the time the next fall lineup starts up, even sooner if they actually do have double premieres at some point.

I can see where you're coming from with Zexal. I don't think that distancing themselves from the DM series in terms of tone is necessarily a bad thing, but the writing for the characters has been pretty lacking in Zexal for the most part.

18. Radical

Radical The Face of Evil & Sadism!!!!!

Cool, Yu-Gi-Oh! Arc-V will definetly be my next favorite Yu-Gi-Oh! series after Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters/GX/5D's/Zexal, the new major hero Yuya looks cool/likable/interesting with a nice cape, nice character design looking like a male Kotori which he'll surpass Yuma on being less stupid, hehehe.I'll see how the new Yu-Gi-Oh! Arc-V series' direction will take if it has comedy/action like Yu-Gi-Oh! GX/Zexal or mostly action/more darker/seriousness like Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters/5D's, I'll see.I'll see how likable/decent Yu-Gi-Oh! Arc-V's supporting female characters are after Tea/Serenity/Mai/Rebecca, Alexis/Blair/Tania, Akiza/Luna/Carly, and Tori/Kari/Rio/Cathy/Dextra who were awesome likable supporting female characters.I can't wait to see Yu-Gi-Oh! Arc-V's next cool jerk rival/anti-hero though.I can't wait to see the next new major deadliest villains in Yu-Gi-Oh! Arc-V after enjoying Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters/GX/5D's/Zexal's previous epic interesting major deadliest villains Yami Bakura(Zorc), Yami Marik, Dartz, The D(Kyle Jables), Sartorius, Yubel, Adrian, Z-ONE, Aporia(Jakob/Primo/Lester), Sayer, Roman, Vector, Don Thousand, Mr. Heartland, and Vetrix, but Gozaburo Kaiba/Dr. Faker were my least favorite unlikable villains who were awful/terrible.

I hope Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal's dub gets completed like Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters having a satisfying complete dub before when 4Kids dubs Yu-Gi-Oh! Arc-V despite the incomplete dubs of Yu-Gi-Oh! GX/5D's.If Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal's dub gets incompleted then it will annoy me of 4Kids' stupidity.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2014
  19. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator

Taking this quote from the other Arc-V thread.

That description of Yuya from the official website made me think of Judai for some reason. It sounds interesting at least. Something along the lines of 5D's would be great, provided that it is more like the quality of the first two arcs. While I'm not a fan of Zexal, I have to admit that it does have the best story structure out of the spin-off series, as it doesn't make up stuff as it goes along nearly as much as GX and 5D's did. I think that one of its main problems was with the characters. Most of them were bland and the majority of them lacked enough depth to be more interesting and entertaining to watch. Compared to the other series, the characters weren't really fleshed out as much as they could have been and when most of them have pretty boring and/or one-note personalities, that is a significant problem. The characters in previous series generally had a bit more depth and much better interactions with each other. Despite how friendship is a major theme of the franchise, the only friendships that I could find believable in that series were Yuma's friendships with Shark and Astral and even his friendship with Astral suffered from pretty sloppy writing, especially in the first season.

I haven't heard anything official about a chaos deck. I'd really like it if they could make a new kind of monster for the main deck instead of another special extra deck monster. It would be more refreshing after the spin-off series have emphasized the extra deck so much. Although, a spin-off series that doesn't just focus on one kind of monster would be great. I understand why they make the series all about one kind of monster for marketing reasons, but it would be nice to see them handle it a bit different.

20. gmster

gmster Active Member