1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Yu-Gi-Oh! Arc-V Season One Talkback

Discussion in 'The Nicktoons Forum' started by Light Lucario, Feb 21, 2016.

1. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

The Action Fields have always been kind of dangerous. Even within the third and fourth episodes, Yuzu and the kids nearly fell to their deaths due to the bridge constantly being damaged and Yuya's life was in danger due to the field taking damage during his duel with Mieru. This one was more blatant with how dangerous it was, but it wasn't too different. It is more jarring when you compare it to how the Action Field for the younger kids is soft while the teenagers are allowed to use potentially dangerous Action Fields with simply no problem.

Anyway, I thought that this episode was pretty good. I think that the dub edited the opening bit since Masumi was talking about how Yuzu was distracted again in the original version. Granted, Yuzu talking about how she lost before due to her being confused about Yuya being Yuto never quite made sense to me. While that was on Yuzu's mind, it didn't really factor into her defeat, aside from not getting the right Action Card. It was pretty clear that Yuzu was just out matched to Masumi in their first duel, especially when she didn't have any Extra Deck monsters. Even if Yuzu did pick up the Action Card, it's pretty unlikely that she would have won. She might have lasted longer, but her chances of winning were still pretty low.

The duel itself was pretty good. I liked that we got to see Yuzu Fusion summon pretty much right away. She was practicing with Sora for awhile and it showed that she was able to pull it off after all of that effort. Plus, she had a pretty cool monster that worked against another Fusion user. Seeing more of Masumi's deck was also neat. She has the coolest deck out of the three Leo School trio kids and it was cool to see her use some new combos too.

While the Action Field was pretty needlessly dangerous and the background wasn't quite as good as it was for other fields, it did work nicely with the duel. Seeing the characters run around, struggle to get Action Cards and use their traps to reduce their opponents' chances of getting an Action Card really added more tension to the match. It's also a good use of the new kind of dueling, especially when it is more refreshing than seeing characters stand on the sides for the whole match.

I liked how Yuya was concerned for Yuzu throughout the duel and supportive of her. It does help to make their friendship more sincere. Sora's attitude on the other hand kind of bothered me mainly because he was making the match more about him than Yuzu's progress as his student. It just made him look too cocky and self-centered for my tastes.

Masumi's combo with her true ace monster was pretty good and was pushing Yuzu to her limit. It was pretty lucky that Yuzu's Traps saved her and also allowed for Yuzu to get that Crystal Rose. Some might think it's kind of cheap that Masumi would have something like that in her deck, but I always thought that made sense. I was kind of surprised that we didn't see characters use monsters that can take the place of other monsters for Fusion summoning more often, especially during GX, since it can make it easier to have the necessary monsters in your hands. I liked Yuzu's new Fusion monster and the fact that he gets a new ace by using her old one was a nice touch too. It's effect was pretty good and allowed for Yuzu to win the duel. It was nice that Yuzu saved Masumi, even though it really showed how dangerous the Action Fields can be. It was nice that Masumi gave Yuzu that card and wanted to see her win some more. Granted, it was under the whole "you beat me, so you better win the whole tournament logic," but it did show that she respected Yuzu's skills and wasn't angry over losing. It did seem like they were at least on good terms with each other at the end, if not friendly rivals.

I can understand why others thought that this should have been a two-parter given that Yuzu has been training for her rematch for awhile. I wouldn't have been against that if that was the case, but I thought it worked perfectly fine as a one episode duel. It was paced well, there was a good back and forth action between Yuzu and Masumi to create more tension and it had a satisfying conclusion. While a second episode could have made the match even better, it might have made it unnecessarily long, especially when there wasn't much of anything else going on here besides the match. Without going into spoilers, I think that this match is one of the highlights of the tournament arc, so I think it was for the best that it was just one episode long for multiple reasons.

2. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

[​IMG]

Gong The Strong
    When Gong's old sparring partner sets a trap for Yuya, the only way Gong can save his friend is to forfeit his duel and get tossed from the tourney!​

3. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Hmm. This episode wasn't bad at all, but the sub-plot with Yuya doesn't really work because you never feel he's in danger. He's handled worse than a couple of scrubs (even if they were teaming up!). Otherwise, pretty straight-forward episode.

4. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Yeah, that's a good point. I think that the point of that was just to add more tension for Gongenzaka's duel, as he wouldn't know what was going on with Yuya and his concern would make him eager to finish off the duel to find Yuya, but that doesn't work out too well when the audience knows that Yuya wasn't in danger.

Anyway, I thought that this episode was pretty good. It's another case where I really wish that they had a better voice for Gongenzaka. He has some really good moments and it shows why he's one of my favorite characters in the series, but it's hard to take him seriously when he keeps talking in the third person. I did like how Yuya was willing to go find Gongenzaka's belt right away though. It was such an obvious trap, but it showed that he did want to help his friend and how much he cares about Gongenzaka.

The bully trying to use that friendship against Gongenzaka wasn't too surprising. He was already shown to be a bully, so having underhanded tactics fit in nicely with that. It was nice that Yuzu called Yuya to see if he was okay and was able to pass a message along before focusing on his own duel. Gongenzaka's duel was pretty good. It was cool to see him Synchro summon again, but it was too bad that the bully was able to take control of his monsters. It was an effectively underhanded strategy though. He was already getting Gongenzaka worked up over Yuya's safety, causing Gongenzaka to charge straight ahead in order to save Yuya and leading him right into that Trap. That would be more impressive if it wasn't for the whole underhanded methods and attacking Yuya. He even went as far as to play mind games with Gongenzaka further with imagining Yuya feel betrayed or in need to rescuing while they're dueling. It was nice that Yuzu called out to reassure Gongenzaka. Knowing that Yuya would be fine allowed him to focus more on the duel.

While there was definitely a lack of tension with Yuya's duel, I loved that he was able to entertain the other bullies like that. It's just so much fun to see him perform and see how he is able to reach out to other people already. Gongenzaka was still pushed into quite a corner and it really came down to the wire. That draw turning the monster's attack points to zero was so awesome. He was punching a monster's attack away. This is yet another reason why I wish Gongenzaka wasn't so annoying with his voice and dialogue since he can be surprisingly cool. It was nice that Yuya got to the stadium just in time for Gongenzaka to finish off the duel with his new Synchro monster. Seeing the relief on their faces once the duel was over was quite sweet too. Their friendship is quite nice. I do like that we started a tournament arc focusing on the other characters dueling before we got to Yuya's match. I love Yuya and he is by far my favorite character in the series, but I do think that this is a refreshing way to start a tournament arc and the duel have been pretty solid too.

5. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

[​IMG]

The Pendulum Swings Both Ways: Part One
    Sylvio finally has just the thing to take Yuya down - a deck full of Pendulum Cards! Could Yuya's days in the spotlight be done for?​

6. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I thought that this episode was pretty good. It took me longer to comment on it due to being so busy with the holidays. Plus, I try to wait awhile before posting in general anyway. While Sawatari does still have a melodramatic entrance topped off with still blaming for stuff he didn't do, the dub does miss out on the whole New Neo Sawatari line. It does capture how much of a goof Sawatari is and it is pretty funny too.

The duel itself was off to a nice start. Just like his other duels, Sawatari has a different deck and this is actually my favorite one he uses. The Yosenju monsters have a pretty cool design and he is able to make pretty nice use of their abilities, as well as the Yosen Training Ground card. Granted, it's hard to give Sawatari a lot of credit there when Reiji taught him how to use the deck rather than Sawatari coming up with that strategy himself, but this is way better than his first couple of decks. Even though Yuya was able to Pendulum summon and go on the offensive, Sawatari didn't seem phased about it. He was just in control and waiting to get the right cards in his hands.

Sawatari being able to Pendulum summon wasn't too surprising. They were hinting at it earlier in the episode and even his previous appearance implied that Leo Corporation was in the process of making Pendulum cards. Since Reiji gave him the deck and has been working out on his own Pendulum cards, it was just a matter of time before something like this happened. Sawatari most likely has one of their test models for a Pendulum deck for this match. The monsters look pretty cool and I liked the combo since it was an effective way to put Yuya into a corner. Pendulum monsters can be brought back from the graveyard, but they can't do that if they're sent back to the deck, which does effectively seal them off. Like I said, I wouldn't give Sawatari full credit for this and he's still an annoying cocky jerk, but it's still an impressive strategy.

I really liked Yuya's reaction to the situation though. Everyone was worried about how he'd deal with someone else using Pendulum cards. There was an entire episode dedicated to Yuya dealing with and accepting that he wasn't going to be the only one with Pendulum cards forever and even Shuzo commented on how he didn't think it would happen this soon. But in spite of all of that, Yuya was happy. Even though he was pushed into a corner and his own Pendulum summon was sealed off, he had a big smile on his face. It was a sweet little character moment that showed how Yuya has grown already. He was panicking over Reiji being able to Pendulum summon before and had a bit of a breakdown afterwards, but he was happy to face off against another Pendulum user. He was having fun and it showed how much of an impact Shuzo's lesson had on him. It was a really great moment and a nice way to end the first half of the duel.

7. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

[​IMG]

The Pendulum Swings Both Ways: Part Two
    Yuya is off his game and on the run as Sylvio zeroes in on removing his life points, which could make this Yuya's final performance.​

8. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I thought that this episode was pretty good. Yuya's Trap card that changes monsters' names once it left the field felt kind of random for his deck. It was a bit too situational for my tastes, but it did help him to get rid of Sawatari's combo. It was pretty dramatic with Yuya jumping into the building and then Sawatari's attack seemingly ending the duel. Obviously, Yuya would be fine, but given Yuzu's reaction, it does make me wonder even more how dangerous the Field Spells can be. I really liked how Yuya running around before helped him to find more Action Cards. That was always a pretty neat way to throw off his opponents while still being able to plan ahead for his own strategy.

It was nice that the crowd was getting more into the duel, even though Sawatari was getting upset over it because he wanted the spotlight on himself. That's one of the main reasons I never really liked Sawatari. He's not completely unlikable, but that cocky attitude just doesn't sit right with me. He just comes off as a jerk. Yuya genuinely wants to entertain people and make them happy, while Sawatari just wants to get more attention to himself. Sawatari can certainly be entertaining in his own way and he does want to perform too, but that self-centered motivation behind his desire kind of gives his performances an insincere vibe to me. At least Yuya was able to destroy one of his monsters afterwards.

Even though I don't like Sawatari, it was a pretty smart move to use his reduced Pendulum scales to Pendulum summon some monsters in order to Tribute summon Daibak after his attempt to get rid of Yuya's monster via his monster's effect didn't work. The match was going back and forth, which made both the characters and the audience's excitement over the match more believable. Yuya was facing off against another Pendulum user and enjoying it this time around. He was trying to find the best ways to counter Sawatari's moves and giving a good performance while doing so. Even his dramatic draw at the end had a more performance flare than usual due to getting the audience involved. His Magician Manipulation Spell card also felt a bit situational, but unlike with the Trap card, it at least fit with his deck and they obviously needed to give him enough cards to Pendulum summon one more time during this duel.

It was pretty cool how Yuya went from attacking with his Odd-Eyes to being able to Fusion summon Beast Eyes in the same battle phase. It even came down to the wire with both Yuya and Sawatari getting Action cards and Yuya ultimately won. He obviously would, but it was a closer match than I think most people would have expected. While I don't like how they kind of brush off Sawatari's whole needlessly endangering Yuzu and the kids' lives before, I was fine with how they ended the duel on relatively good terms. I wouldn't say that they're good friends, but just on good terms with each other or at the most friendly rivals. It helps that they were able to enjoy the duel together and that they got the crowd so excited that they didn't care who won. It is too bad that Reiji took the deck back since that was such a cool deck, but it was just a means to test out some of his new Pendulum cards before mass producing them.

Even though Yuya had already dueled against Sawatari before, I think that they made the rematch work pretty well. It was a pretty fun duel that went back and forth and even came down to the wire at the end. I don't know if I'd say it's one of the best duels in the series, but it's one of the popular ones at least and I can see why. It's a nice fun match that showcases some more of Yuya's growth, which is always good.

9. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

[​IMG]

Making the Cut: Part One
    Sora is psyched to put on a showstopping duel for the fans, but his opponent Shay is set to turn Sora's one man show into a no man show!​

10. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Whoops, I forgot to reply the last two episodes.

Anyway, the Shay/Sora duel is fun so far because of their wildly conflicting personalities. Sora is happy-go-lucky, and Shay is basically super angsty. Sora just wants to put on a good show, and Shay just can't help but keep discussing his depressing backstory.

Apparently Heartland was even more famous than I thought, if they gave it a whole duel field. :p

11. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I thought that this episode was pretty good. The match up between Sora and Shun does work quite nicely given their clashing personalities. They've always made it clear that there's something mysterious about Sora, so he isn't just all upbeat, but he does come off that way for most of the duel, especially in comparison to Shun. His default mode is anger and angsty. Although he does still have the best dub voice out of the cast, so that help it when he's giving his speech. It does make me hope that he'll get more voice acting gigs in the future. Both his vague depression backstory and the Heartland Field Spell are some pretty major foreshadowing. Foreshadowing is the bread and butter of this series and it is fantastic.

This episode is one of the prime examples as to why I think it was a shame that they didn't include the Action Duel chant. When Sora was talking to the crowd in the original version, he was doing the chant along with them since Shun of course wouldn't be doing something like that. That scene worked a lot better given how fun the Action Duel chant is and Sora getting the crowd to say it alongside him does fit nicely with how he's trying to entertain the crowd. Granted, he was doing that throughout the episode during his turns, but I think that works better than what they went with here.

Sora was definitely trying to mimic Yuya's dueling throughout the match. Shun's demeanor clashed nicely with it too. I liked how Yuya recognized Shun's cards and Yuzu started to figure out what happened to the others, even though she didn't realize it entirely right then. While Sora does annoy me at this part of the series, I've always liked his deck and seeing it in action was pretty neat. Shun's cards were pretty cool too and he was pretty much in control throughout the match. Sora was just having fun and not taking anything seriously, which is why Shun was able to push him back near the end. Sora's grin at the end was rather telling and showed that he was about ready to get serious too.

12. RDG

RDG Aspiring animator/filmmaker and Ugliest Man Alive

Remember: no new-to-U.S. Arc-V this week due to Fairly Odd Takeover

13. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Well that's disappointing. I didn't know that at all before. It's always kind of bad to put in a week break between a multi-part duel, but this match is kind of important, so waiting another week for the conclusion is not going to help the people watching the dub. Granted, I don't think Nicktoons cares about that or the show at all for that matter, but it does make me feel bad for those who are following the series as it airs on Nicktoons.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. ChibiGoku

ChibiGoku Something Not Quite Right

Well, it's about to get worse. Apparently Episode 36 was listed as the season finale and will air along side Episode 35. If this is still the case, we're in for a long (and possibly permanent, indefinite) hiatus.

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Well that's definitely not a good sign. Without spoiling anything major, it really wouldn't make sense to label those episodes as a season finale. I can see why they'd choose those episodes as a stopping point. It makes more sense than stopping right before the qualifying duel mini arc, but that's not saying much and it's still a really terrible idea if they are going to go into another long hiatus. 4K Media seriously needs to find another way to release the episodes. At this rate, the new series will be starting in Japan and Nicktoons won't be even near the next season. This is just plain sad.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. ChibiGoku

I guess the only silver lining in this is at least the episodes, though subbed, are available on Crunchyroll. Still, it's upsetting to see how this franchise has been treated on television for the last several years. It deserves better.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

That's true. At least the series has some more legal presence online and fans can check out the series in its original version if they want to. It is a shame to see how the franchise has been treated. It definitely deserves better. I was hoping for Arc-V to get a better deal than this. Even with my issues with the dub, it's still my favorite series in the franchise and since the dub has been treated so poorly, fewer people would be interested in checking it out. Knowing how 4K Media handles the franchise, I wouldn't be too surprised if they still stay with Nicktoons after this for the next series. They shouldn't have stayed with them after what happened with Zexal and it looks like Arc-V has been handled even worse given these long unnecessary breaks.

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. ChibiGoku

Something that you might particularly find interesting: While I was able to confirm a suspicion I had with Yu-Gi-Oh! GX being done by Crunchyroll, apparently Crunchyroll took over for the subs for Yu-Gi-Oh! Arc-V starting with Episode 50. This would explain a couple things I had noticed about those episodes (skimming through them). I'm kinda wondering if 4K Media is just going to simulcast the next series, especially given how involved Crunchyroll has been with promoting the movie. While I wouldn't be surprised if 4K Media does a Toei with the movie Distribution, I think it'd be a really smart idea if they went the CR/FUNi route.

And who knows. Maybe 4K Media could try doing a simuldub with FUNimation. I'd definitely love that (especially if FUNimation could do a cross regional dub, with their own talent and 4K Media's talent). It'd definitely be the smarter option than just letting the franchise die on television. But that's just my personal opinion.

19. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I thought that Crunchyroll has been doing all of the legal subs for Arc-V. A simulcast would be pretty neat and it would help to give the next series more presence online at least, but I'm not sure primarily to how they go with the DVD qualities for the other subs. It would kind of make sense with Crunchyroll doing the subs and promoting the movie. As cool as a simuldub sounds, I definitely don't see that happening given 4K Media's resources and how they don't seem to be particularly eager to get the dubs out as fast as they can at this point.

20. ChibiGoku

Apparently 4K Media had done the subs themselves up until Episode 49 when they rolled out them onto Crunchyroll. However, starting with Episode 50, Crunchyroll's been doing the subtitles themselves. And yeah, a simulcast would definitely be awesome.

It depends. Obviously if all parties want to make it happen, I could maybe see 4K Media giving it a try. Whether it's in house or having FUNimation manage it. Though, this is all speculation, so I largely don't expect it, but would be a cool thing to happen.

By the way, Joshua over on Twitter mentioned he was emailed by someone at Nick that they'll air the rest of the episodes in May. While I don't expect them to really follow through with that (Nick quickly stopped the double premieres for Arc-V, hence why I'm hesitant on this), but we'll see. Also, I'm not sure what the guy meant by "the rest", unless he's talking the last part of "Season 1"....