1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Yu-Gi-Oh! Arc-V Season One Talkback

Discussion in 'The Nicktoons Forum' started by Light Lucario, Feb 21, 2016.

1. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

It's been a mess for ages. They've had the dub on the air for about a year and they've only aired over thirty episodes. They aren't even close to the second season. Maybe this wouldn't be so bad if other countries had gotten further ahead since we could have assume that 4K Media was having a hard time dubbing a lot of episodes or something like that. But they have dubbed and aired nearly a hundred episodes at this point. There is absolutely no excuse for this kind of treatment. I'm not sure which is worse, Nicktoons deciding to take these long hiatuses or 4K Media staying with Nicktoons despite how they treated Zexal. The TV exposure is not really worth it if they barely air any of the series.

They honestly might as well just take the show off their lineup. It's clear that sticking with Nicktoons was a terrible decision and it is actively hurting the chances for the spin-off series to get more attention. Granted, it isn't the only issue for the spin-off series, but being put on a channel that not too many people get with long unnecessary breaks isn't helping matters either. The sooner they get the franchise off Nicktoons, the better as far as I'm concerned. Nearly any other channel or platform would be a better way to air the various series than staying on Nicktoons.

2. ChibiGoku

ChibiGoku Something Not Quite Right

Sadly, I think the franchise is done on television. If Disney XD didn't want the series back when they were shopping it around, I seriously doubt their opinion would have changed. Yu-Gi-Oh! WAS a successful franchise. It, however, isn't anymore. The reason Yokai Watch, Beyblade, and Pokemon happened on Disney XD is that they've been proven properties (with Yokai Watch being more a gamble, but at least was tremendously popular in Japan) time and time again. Yu-Gi-Oh!, however, hasn't had much success... I'm gonna say over a decade ago. It's been a very, very long time.

At this point, they'd be better off just marketing this to general anime fans, simulcast the show on Crunchyroll, and push a dub more in line with traditional anime markets. Seriously, there's no reason to keep the franchise in the kids market anymore. It's done there. Time to move on and acknowledge this is no longer the same profitable kids anime it once was here in the states.

3. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

It's possible that they could still be interested if only because they have more toyetic anime on their lineup than when 4K Media was shopping around for a new channel, but that might be pretty unlikely. I'm not sure how successful Beyblade is compared to Pokemon and Yokai Watch, but they are still able to push out merchandise, some new games and I think it was popular enough in Canada to make some of their own series. The most success the franchise has had in recent years has been about the card sales and pretty much anything related to DM. I'm not sure how well The Dark Side of Dimensions movie did in the U.S., but I believe it did at least pretty well in Japan.

Yeah, that has been a big problem with the for the spin off series. They tried to basically handle each series akin to how they handled the DM dub with the cheesy/so bad it's good dialogue and making significant changes to the characterizations. It usually isn't as server as what happened with the DM dub, but it's enough to make me think that they're still trying to use the same formula hoping for the same success they had in the past. DM dub worked at the time because a card game battle show was more unique at the time and it was still at a time where faithful anime dubs weren't all that common like they are today. While there are quite a few reasons why the spin-off series have never took off in the U.S. like DM did, I do think that the quality of the dubs is a significant factor. There are plenty of moments where it feels like the dub talks down to their audience or how the audience is supposed to laugh at it while still taking it seriously at the same time. It's especially bad in this day and age when there are plenty of shows aimed at kids that don't talk down to them. They're basically still dubbing the show with a 90's mentality to it and that method is seriously outdated for a number of reasons.

Trying to go for a more faithful dub and appealing to older fans at this point might be their best chance. Kids haven't been interested in the anime for quite some time. They may not like it because of how it would limit their appeal and it is still important to try and get new people into the franchise to help keep it going, but clearly they need to change something in order to make the series more successful and profitable.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. DonkeyKongSong

DonkeyKongSong Active Member

And just as expected... all of Season 1 (1-49) is available on digital platforms such as iTunes and Google Play. I wonder if we'll get Season 2 on digital soon.

And yet for some reason they're still taking their sweet time putting it on Hulu.

EDIT: Oh, that explains it. The last half came out on physical March 7.

5. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm not sure why they haven't put the dub on Hulu either, especially when the other series are there. I don't think that the dub is available on Crunchyroll either, which is even stranger in a way. They've been putting more dubbed episodes there, but nothing for Arc V's dub so far. I wouldn't be surprised if they just put the rest of the series on digital platforms.

6. kanc

kanc Well-Known Member

someone was asking about when will new episodes of yu-gi-oh arc-v supposed to return? Wasn't it supposed to air in May, though i never knew about it. im guessing that someone misunderstands what it's actually meant
    http://tvschedule.zap2it.com/tvlistings/ZCProgram.do?sId=EP02373256&t=Yu-Gi-Oh!+ARC-V&method=getEpisodesForShow&epYear=2017

Season 2 date has November 17, 2017 though I can't be certain if it's reliable. yeah that is not an official date so far.

#206 kanc, Apr 30, 2017
    Last edited: May 1, 2017
  7. shamir ejaz

shamir ejaz Member

Can you get more info on the exact date Yu gi oh arc v will return for The U.S.

8. kanc

kanc Well-Known Member

i don't even know exactly when. Maybe @RDG or @Light Lucario knows. Why not ask them? Thanks

9. jaylop97

jaylop97 Commonly found at Night

Not much has been said on this subject.

10. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I haven't heard anything about the dub for ages, but I really doubt that we'll get anything from Nicktoons. With these long unnecessary breaks and the fact that they don't want to air season two, they'll have to go with some online streaming service like Crunchyroll. With a new series starting soon in Japan, I wonder how they'll handle Arc V. They'll still finish the dub, especially when they have covered the first two seasons, but they'll really have to figure out a different way to handle the dubs. Nicktoons should never be an option again. Although, knowing how 4K Media handles the dub, I still wouldn't be surprised if they try to get Vrains on Nicktoons regardless of how they treated both Zexal and Arc V.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. kanc

kanc Well-Known Member

With someone already posted on Nicktoons thread, remaining season 1 Arc-V new episodes return on Sunday Oct 1 at 8AM, and will have weekly premieres afterward. No word on season 2 and season 3 yet...

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I don't know why they're even bothering to air the series at this point. After airing nothing but reruns for months and going on long unnecessary breaks, any interest kids had in the show has probably disappeared. They should not have taken this long to air the rest of season one. At this rate, Canada will probably finish the series well before it does in the U.S.

I seriously doubt that they'll air anything after season one. If it has taken them over a year to possibly finish season one, despite how that was dubbed ages ago, then it doesn't give me much hope that they'll air the rest of the series.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Well, at least it'll be nice to finally close out the season, dub-wise :sweat:.

14. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

The main bright side for me would be to talk about the episodes again and to see how other people respond to some of the twists and developments in the remaining episodes. Plus, I miss everything about Arc V anyway, so more chances to talk about a Yu-Gi-Oh! series that I actually like sounds nice.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

[​IMG]

A Destiny That Starts Moving

and

The Four Dimensions

I apologize for missing the episode last week and setting this up so late now. I thought that the new episodes wouldn't start until later this month for some reason and I figured that I should just wait until the next Sunday to set the talkback. I don't know how many people are still watching the series on Nicktoons at this point or how long they'll manage to keep premieres on their channel, but I'll keep making the talkbacks until the inevitable move from Nicktoons happens.