1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Yu-Gi-Oh! Arc-V Season One Talkback

Discussion in 'The Nicktoons Forum' started by Light Lucario, Feb 21, 2016.

1. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

[​IMG]

Welcome to the talkback thread for Yu-Gi-Oh! Arc-V, the newest series in the Yu-Gi-Oh! franchise, for its Nicktoon premiere.
    Get ready to experience the next evolution of dueling as we follow Yuya Sakaki in his quest to become a great Dueltainer.
    Here are the first two episode summaries for this hour long premiere:

Swing Into Action: Part 1
    Swing into action with the dueltainer Yuya Sakaki as he takes center stage in an all-new action duel where running, jumping, diving and dueling can make you a champion!

Swing Into Action: Part 2
    With The Sledgehammer set to strike, Yuya uses pendulum power to swing the duel his way! Can this phenomenal new summoning method help Yuya hammer the Hammer?
    Since not many people have Nicktoons and discuss for past series have been pretty small, I decided to go with a season talkback format. Plus, I don't know if Nicktoons is going to have double premieres every week, so I thought that a season talkback would be the best format anyway. Arc-V is my favorite Yu-Gi-Oh! series, so I hope that other people can give it a try to see if they like it as well.

2. aegisrawks

aegisrawks Active Member

Oh Joy! We can now experience the excitement as Yuya and ZOOZOO swing into action! Jolly good show!

3. Hyper Shadow X

Hyper Shadow X Lover of Fate-Chan

Over all I wonder how this entire series will be handled.

4. Lord Hater

Lord Hater Retired

At least Nicktoons would treat it better than any other network.

5. RDG

RDG Aspiring animator/filmmaker and Ugliest Man Alive

If at all. I'm surprised they (reluctantly) decided to pick it up despite what they've been doing to the franchise for at least 3 years.

6. kanc

kanc Well-Known Member

Relunctantly? Nicktoons already been worked hard for the promo, and learned lesson and would schedule wisely and not treat this show bad. Try not to be negative if in future Nicktoons or Nick doesn't treat show well.

7. RDG

Well, the fact that they're airing it again tomorrow is indication that they will.

• Like Like x 1
  8. MPetitWPB

MPetitWPB Member

But then again the dub itself....

9. RDG

And the official YGO website STILL hasn't updated the "Where to Watch Arc-V" section. Also, Nicktoons is having encores of the premiere all week.

#9 RDG, Feb 21, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2016
  10. Hyper Shadow X

Hyper Shadow X Lover of Fate-Chan

I'm more worried about if they will air the entire series or skip around like they did with GX and 5D's

11. qadleez

qadleez Active Member

Nicktoons never aired 5ds or gx

• Like Like x 1
  12. kanc

kanc Well-Known Member

It's a Yu-Gi-Oh! type.
    GX did air in Nicktoons (2006-2011), Cartoon Network (2005-2008)
    5D's aired Disney XD (2009-2011), before that Cartoon Network aired. I don't think Nicktoons aired 5D

13. RDG

Actually, here in the U.S. GX aired on CN 2005-2008 and 5D's from 2009-2010 (GX also aired on 4KidsTV 2007-2008 and CW4Kids after that, and the latter aired 5D's from 2008-2011).

14. kanc

kanc Well-Known Member

Do you know when Nicktoons or Nick aired GX or 5Ds? I don't see in wikipedia that Nicktoons aired 5D.

15. RDG

They aired neither here.

16. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Not necessarily. Nicktoons never did air all of Zexal, so something like that could happen again, especially when Nicktoons isn't really the best place for third party shows. We're also nearly a hundred episodes behind the Japanese version with only getting one new a week, despite at least the first season being dubbed and ready to air, so that doesn't help out the series either. Even with how they're currently treating third party shows in mind, Cartoon Network would probably treat it better. Arc-V would end up on their On Demand section, on their website or at the very least get every episode aired on Cartoon Network. That is better than being on Nicktoons, a channel that isn't widely available and is basically treated as a dumping ground for failed shows and third party properties.

Well that's not surprising. There wasn't much promotion from 4K Media about this premiere. At least Nicktoons having encores all week is a promising sign. I hated their promo for it though. The ones before the premiere were pretty nice, but that rap promo was painfully bad. Is Nicktoons still stuck in the 90's/early 00's where people used rap in the sad attempt to make something look cool and hip to the kids?

I'm pretty sure that Nicktoons never aired GX or 5D's. I think DM aired on Nickelodeon in I think either the UK or Australia, but I don't think that Nickelodeon or Nicktoons aired either GX or 5D's.

Anyway, before I get to the episodes proper, I do want to address the voices. I'll be using the Japanese names since I'm just too used to typing them out as opposed to the dub names. Aside from Yuya and I guess Tatsuya, all of the male voices were bad. Gongenzaka sounded way too old and his third person speech pattern gets really annoying. Shuzo is still ear bleedingly bad. Yuya sounding exactly like Clemont still doesn't fit right with me, but he did sound like he was enjoying his bit during Yuya's performance, which helps at least a bit. Even if I didn't associate this voice with Clemont from Pokemon XY, I'm not sure if I'd like it any better. The voice is at least serviceable, which is more than I can say for a lot of the other voices here. Oddly enough, all of the female characters sounded great. Yuzu's voice is good and if her dub name didn't enrage me so much, I'd be generally fine with her in the dub. Yoko really sounded good as well.

I also still have a problem with the dialogue changes. Yuya sounded way too cocky and trash talking at the beginning was so out of character for him that any hopes I had for the dub were pretty much shot down instantly. Yuzu also comes off a bit more rough and angry than I think she did originally. The painfully bad dialogue and jokes were present here as they have been with the other dubs. So, they basically are still doing the same thing they've always been doing and expecting better results, which is a big reason why none of the spin-off series have been successful in my opinion. I still really hate Yuya's dub catchphrase. It just sounds so lame and generic to me. It does tie in with the swing of the pendulum, but it's not really a good catchphrase. Yuya's original catchphrase is "The fun has just begun!", which is fitting with his character. Yuya wants to make people happy through his duels. That's a big part of his character, so his catchphrase should reflect that instead of focusing on action, as if kids couldn't appreciate a character wanting to be about having fun and had to make it about action in order to make it more appealing to them.

All of that being said, the plots to both episodes are basically retained and I am glad that they aired both episodes together since I think that they work most effectively airing back to back. It's a good introduction to Yuya, some of his conflicts and setting up some mysteries for the show as a whole. Staring off with Yuya riding on his pink hippo with a Spell card that creates dancing hippos is still fantastic. That's the kind of ridiculously cool concept that I can get behind. His connection to his father is also really important for his character, even though the advice still comes off as pretty terrible to tell to a small crying child. The basic message of not letting your sadness bring you down completely is fine and typical for shonen series in general, but Yuya takes it a bit more serious than his father possibly intended since he bottles up too much of his emotions. He's a very sensitive character and that emotional fragility is one of the reasons why he became my favorite character in the franchise.

This was a good duel to showcase how Action Duels work, as well as showcase more of Yuya's dueling strategy. I actually like the concept of Action Cards. It reduces the amount of situational cards that characters would have in their deck, it's available to both players so it isn't there just for the heroes and it isn't a get out of jail free card either. It can be helpful, but if you don't get to it in time, then you don't get the card and you're out of luck. Not to mention there's a chance that an Action Card might not be helpful in the specific situation the characters are in. It's also pretty cool to see the characters riding around on their monsters. Yuya riding his hippo and Odd-Eyes were especially great. It gives the characters more to do than just stand on the opposite side of the field with dramatic poses as they order their monsters around. Now they can do dramatic poses while riding on their monsters.

I still love the introduction of Pendulum cards. While it is a bit cheap for Yuya to win his first duel due to getting some magically created cards out of nowhere, it never really bothered me too much because of how they handle it afterwards. Yuya not even remembering how he won the duel made it more interesting and mysterious, especially when Pendulum summoning was in their database. Not even being able to understand Pendulum summoning helped to make his victory work more effectively given that he would have to work more towards mastering it afterwards. It also gives the audience the chance to learn more about Pendulum summoning along with the characters, which I thought was wonderfully refreshing. Synchro and Xyz summoning were already well established in 5D's and Zexal respectively, but making Pendulum summoning something brand new was really different and cool.

It was also cool that Yuzu got a duel this early on in the series. I've heard a lot of people disregard her victory against Yuya because Yuya wasn't trying to win, but rather trying to Pendulum summon, which I always thought was just weak. She still won the duel. There wasn't much Yuya could have done at that point anyway to win given that he couldn't Pendulum summon correctly. Yuzu does have a bit more of an attitude in the dub than I'd like, but the batter between her and Yuya before the duel was still funny and I still like her deck too. Yuya being so crushed after people dismissed him as a cheater was sad, but his friends cheering him up and encouraging him to work more on mastering Pendulum summoning was nice. It provided a nice little ending to the episode while setting up for the next one.

Even with my issues with the dub in mind, these episodes were still a good start to the series. It does a good job with establishing the characters, especially Yuya, provides a bit of worldbuilding, sets up some interesting mysteries right off the bat and has a couple of good duels. I love Arc-V so much.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. zoombie

zoombie Well-Known Member

Well I have seen the whole first season, so I don't know what I can add without spoiling things.

Well the censorship is not as bad as I feared. Though I don't care for many of the English names.

18. Ghostbuster

Ghostbuster Well-Known Member

@Light Lucario Yep, Nicktoons UK aired Yu-Gi-Oh! DM and Yu-Gi-Oh! GX in the 2000's :) I'm not sure any Yu-Gi-Oh! series is currently shown in the UK, though.

Nick Australia aired both DM & GX as well as Capsule Monsters, and Nick Germany is currently airing ZEXAL.

19. RDG

In terms of the dub, we're also 49+ episodes behind the rest of the world.

20. RDG

As I said, "reluctantly." Still, it's too early to tell how well they'll actually treat Arc-V compared to DM and ZEXAL.