YouTube Fourth Wall Gag Ideas

Discussion in 'The Story Board' started by EJLD4Ever, Sep 22, 2017.

1. EJLD4Ever

EJLD4Ever Animation Student

Hi. For a long time I had the idea of making shorts for YouTube, in the tradition of the old Disney, Warner and MGM cartoons.

I'm a big fan of fourth-wall breaking humor, and I figured that if Warner Bros cartoons could make theatrical fourth wall gags for their cartoons, I could make YouTube-oriented fourth wall gags in my shorts.

I understand some people don't like fourth wall humor, they think it's cheesy or stupid, but hey, you don't have to like it, but don't spoil it for the rest of us, who do. Here are some examples:

EXAMPLE 1: A character will find himself trapped in a precarious situation with no possible escape. Just when it looks like he's about to get it, the video freezes and a "buffering circle" appears in the center of the screen. This can lead to one of two outcomes:

OUTCOME A: Cue the famous YouTube "An error occurred, please try again later" message. The character reappears in front of the error message and explains to the viewer that due to technical difficulties, the cartoon cannot continue. (often producing a pair of scissors and a severed ethernet cable to prove that this was, in fact, no accident!)

OUTCOME B: The "hero" character, who for some reason is miraculously unaffected by the frozen, buffering video, rearranges the frozen scene and quietly tiptoes away. When the buffering stops and the video resumes, the changes made by the "hero" character make his adversary look bad or go in the hero's favor.

EXAMPLE 2: The video will become deliberately pixelated and choppy, simulating YouTube's automatic video-quality settings to compensate for low-bandwidth internet connections. The on-screen character notices this, stops what he's doing, brings up the timeline and adjusts the settings, after which the picture returns to normal.

EXAMPLE 3: A character will offhandedly reference other videos on YouTube. In doing so, he looks or points towards the right side of the screen, where the "Featured Videos" sidebar would be.

EXAMPLE 4: Something a character does not expect will happen, after which the character will look or point towards the bottom of the screen, in the direction of the video description box, and say, "Hey, that wasn't in the video description."

EXAMPLE 5: A fake "banner ad" will appear at the bottom of the screen, which catches the attention of the on-screen character, who stops what he's doing and taps the close button. (Often saying something like ,"Stupid pop-up ads..." in the process.)

EXAMPLE 6: A character will want to double-check something that happened earlier in the cartoon. To do this, he pulls up the timeline and literally pushes the slider to the moment he wants to recap.

How do you guys like these gag ideas?