1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Your X-team

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by Eddie G., Aug 5, 2004.

1. Eddie G.

Eddie G. Former Wolf/Writer.

Okay I'm kind of ripping of the Secret Wars thread, but stay with me on this. You have just found yourself in charge of a new X-men animated series and now you much choose which X-men will be on your team. Prof. X is by default on the team but you may fill in the follow positions.

Leader
    -

Main Team
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -

Supporting Characters (Think X-Men: Evolution and the movie)
    -
    -
    -
    -

You may have as many characters you want in each section except in leadership. Here is my team...

Leader
    Cyclops, I think Scott is a great character when done right and it has been proven over and over in the comic books that he is a great leader.

Main Team
    Marvel Girl, Jean is a must for a X-team. She makes Cyclops more interesting and can be a great character.
    Nightcrawler, although I liked his movie version and Evo version, I never thought either versions really captured what makes Kurt so cool.
    Wolverine, if Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman are the big three of the JLA than Jean, Cyclops, and Wolverine are the big three of the X-men. Wolverine is a cool character although if I were to do a series on the X-men I wouldn't put too much focus on him.
    Colossus, one of the best X-men characters and he has never gotten a real chance to shine.
    Iceman, another cool character who has never been given real animated glory. Evo came close to how I think Bobby should be done, but I'd like to see a version who is as trained with his powers as Scott or Jean.
    Rogue, she never seems like a mainstream character however she has made her way into two animated series and the movie. I like the character a lot and will stick her in to make things interesting.

Forge, I always thought it would be cool to have Forge in a supporting role. Basically whenever new technology at the X-mansion pops up Forge made it, and explains it.
    Dazzler, I always thought Dazzler was kind of interesting and could be done right. I'd be interested to see her in training.
    Storm, I promise there is a reason she's not on the main team. When she is done right the character is so awesome, she can control the skies. But the things is when she is done right she's too damn powerful. I think she would need to be a guest star, not a main character.

2. Donald Duck 12

Donald Duck 12 Heaven Bound- Happy Easter!

Leader
    Proffesor X always, but for field leader... Cyclops- No one else could fill in his shoes as a leader. He is also one of the five essential X-Men. There always needs to be someone mature to balance out the immaturity.

Main Team
    Jean Grey- Not Marvel Girl, not Pheonix (yet), just Jean Grey. Jean will still be the weakest and have to struggle to keep up with the rest of the X-Men. One of the five essential X-Men

Wolverine- Perhaps the most essential X-Man, being he is the commercial charachtor. He is one of the five essentials and makes things interesting.

Storm- One of the five essential X-Men. She is necessary since she is a commercial charechtor. She would mainly be a team fighter and strategist.

Rogue- One of the five essential X-Men. Rogue provides female kick-buttiness and some youth.

Beast- The brains and brawn of the team.

Psylocke- She is the main mutant that didn't get in an animated series (well once or twice in TAS). This would introduce her to the media, in a bigger way.

Iceman- The youngest team member. Who provides the imaturity and youth.

Nightcrawler- The X-Men would encounter him like they did in TAS. He would be shown as a strong beliver and a joker. He would show up fairly often.

Angel- A reserve member. The X-Men would help the young mutant gain control of his powers and escape persecution. He would also become transformed and bitter by Apocalypse.

Colosuss- He and the X-Men would team up to save his homeland from someone and he'd decide to stay with his family. But he'd help them when they're in the area.

Gambit- His first encounter would be as a member of the Brotherhood. He would soon switch sides and because of Rogue he'd become another reserve member.

You should have really had more supporting charachtor spots. Havok, Poloris, Thunderbird I, Ka Zar, Juggernaut (start as an enemy and work his way to become an ally like he is now), and Shadowcat would all be in it too. I now the roster isn't great, but I think it will work okay.

#2 Donald Duck 12, Aug 5, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2004
  3. randomguy

randomguy Came, liked Ike, and left.

Alright, I'll bite.

Leader

Charles Xavier. Cyclops might handle some of the more field-agent kinda stuff, but the team's true leader will always be Chuck. His telepathy makes him the ideal one to give orders and monitor conflict situations.

Main Team

-Cyclops: More than any other member, he's the quintessential X-Man. He's a gifted strategist and a dogged fighter, with a strong ethical compass. He also has a power which is pretty useful in all kinds of situations (shooting stuff).
    -Jean Grey: Intelligent, articulate, complex, and full of storytelling opportunities, from her role as a public mutant's advocate to the whole Phoenix deal. Plays well off Scott, Wolvie, and the Professor. Gotta have her.
    -Wolverine: The bad boy, the fighter, the badass. Overexposed, but still an essential part of the X-Men formula. Willing to be dirtier then the others, when he needs to be. Mysterious past which sould remain mysterious, although Marvel apparently doesn't agree with me.
    -Storm: Another essential X-Man (or woman), an intriguing character, second only to Scott in leadership skills, with cool powers and a cool look. She also brings appreciated ethnic diversity.
    -Nightcrawler: The team always needs somebody with a visible mutation (the truly dividing kind), and Nightcrawler is my favorite of these. His faith could bring an interesting aspect to the team, and his power is wicked useful.
    -Collosus: The X-Men's moral core, a rock of stability in a very unstable steam. Every team needs a powerhouse, and Collosus is a good one.
    -Rogue: I choose her mainly because her powers add an interesting element of diversity. They're a springboard to all kinds of stories. Besides, it never hurts to have a southern belle around.
    -Beast: Not much to say about this guy, other than that I love him and it don't feel much like the X-Men without him.
    -Gambit: Pleasantly unpredictable, neat power. Charming and rogueish. Good chemistry with... well, Rogue.

Supporting Characters:
    -Moira MacTagart: With all those mutants bopping around, you need the human perspective. I've always liked it when the Mansion has at least one human character around to ground things, and Moira's my favorite. Besides, she's useful as the brain character that the X-Men always need: skilled with medicine and knowledgeable about all facets of human biology.
    -Erik Lensherr/Magneto: Magneto is, in many ways, like Lex Luthor. He's so important a villain that he works best as a character who's always in the background. He shouldn't just show up occasionally, he needs to be a constant presence... just like Lex in the Supes books.
    -Nick Fury: I rather like the approach Ultimate X-Men has taken, wherein the X-Men are a government group with minimal oversight. In order to serve that role, the X-Men need a government liason, and who better than he-of-the-cigar-and-eyepatch? It's that or Gyrich, and I think we can all agree that Fury is cooler. Me, I'd use the suave, African-American Fury of the Ultimateverse, but either one would do.

4. Westlander

Westlander Active Member

Leader
    - Cyclops - He's a jerk, but a jerk with knowledge of tactics.

Main Team
    - Jean Grey - Because it's...standard?
    - Shadowcat - "fast attack troops" ;) Really useful for getting into tight places and messing up electronics (Sizzlin' silicone, girl, dive into a Sentinel!)
    - Iceman - good defensive fighter.
    - Wolverine - "elite troops" ;) Cuts through opposition easily.
    - Colossus - "heavy support" and since we have Kitty...
    - Nightcrawler - "fast attack troops" ;) fast and agile, Kurt is an asset for the team.
    - Beast - "heavy support" and knowledge resource.

- Forge - great "backup" character. Every Bond needs his Q, and Forge is the quintessential gadgeteer.
    - Domino - I have a feeling for this girl, and she could be a great "blow-stuff-up" character since I gave up Gambit.
    - Polaris - OK. We have Iceman. Polaris comes naturally.
    - Angel - another "backup" character. He could appear often, but not in every episode, as an additional fighter for the team.

5. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman Well-Known Member

Ideal X-Men Cartoon line-up

Marvel has come to you for the next X-Men cartoon and they want you to pick the character line-up for the team. Which X-Men would you pick and why?

6. Tobias

Tobias Who you gonna call?

First off:Absolutely, positively NO Wolverine, at least not in the first season. These X-Men would be early to mid twenties, with the exception of Jamie Madrox:

Iceman - In EVERY animated incarnation of X-Men, Bobby's always pushed into the background or just forgotten altogether. This time out, Bobby's in the spotlight as one of the main X-men. He'll be kind of like a cross between 'Amazing Friends' and 'TAS' Bobby.

Cannonball - Like Bobby, I just want to see Sam take the lead in an X-show for once. Sam will be second in command, and be the polar opposite of Bobby's personality, making it fun for those two to team up.

Rogue - When the show starts, she already has Ms. Marvel's powers.

Storm - Utilized correctly, Storm can be a GREAT character. She'll take the lead as the team's leader.

Nightcrawler - The total 180 of what EVO did to him. This Nightcrawler is a straight up adaption from the comics. (religious, serious, etc)

Multiple - Jamie will be Bobby and Sam's little buddy, tagging along with them on missions. This character will be what he was in EVO, the youngest person on the team, still in high school.

Collosus - The team's strength. He'll be the strong silent, type.

Professor X will be there to guide them, naturally. As I said, Wolverine will NOT show up in the first season, unless it's just a quick cameo.

7. StormDragon318

Storm
    Wolverine (but not with a lot of screentime - about as much time as Storm in got in XM:E would be enough)
    Nightcrawler
    Cyclops
    Jean Grey
    Angel (before he became Archangel)
    Iceman
    Gambit
    Jubilee
    Shadowcat

8. Spider-Friends

Spider-Friends www.spider-friends.com

I'd love to see a cartoon based on the Claremont-Byrne X-Men. Heck, I'd even want straight adaptations of those issues. Only exception is that I'd like to see Iceman tossed into the Dark Phoenix saga.

Cyclops
    Phoenix
    Wolverine
    Nightcrawler
    Colossus
    Kitty

Occassional guest stars:
    Beast - blue fur/non-cat-like
    Iceman
    Angel
    Havok
    Lorna

9. Donald Duck 12

Donald Duck 12 Heaven Bound- Happy Easter!

Well, hmm...

Why not start out with Professor X (not yet crippled) and Magneto forming the X-Men. They start out with young Cyclops, Psylocke, Colosuss, Angel, and Storm. They fight Wolverine and Sabortooth, the Sentinels, and Sinister and his Brotherhood of Mutants (Mystique, Gambit, Rogue, and Blob). Wolverine becomes a secret ally, the X-Men try to help youg Bobby Drake but he mistakes them as enemies and they keep running into eachother, and Cyclops starts dating one Jean Grey.

After much team growth and several battles, the X-Men go to Japan to find the gems of Cytorak before the Brotherhood or this new mutant Sunfire does. Xavier's brother beats them all and becomes the Juggernaut. While fighting him a mutant inexperianced with his powers (Mastermind) represses Magneto's holocost memories. Magneto leaves the X-Men and takes over the Brotherhood while the Juggernaut is active, Jean is identified as a mutant, and there is a group of X-Men knock-offs (Banshee, Iceman, Nightcrawler, Shadowcat, and Beast) are trying to become heroes. This is just leading up to season two!

So will that work out? And Spidey is Marvel going to consider some of these? Because I can come up with more information. Now for the why:

Profesor X- No explanation required.
    Magneto- To give this series a jump start.
    Cyclops- The leader and essential X-Man.
    Psylocke- Wild card.
    Colosuss- Strength and sensitivity.
    Angel- Arrogant and inexperianced member.
    Storm- Just ties the team together.

10. Stu

Stu Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
    Staff Member Administrator

I prefer smaller rosters. Despite the fact a lot of my favourites aren't in it, I really dig the Astonishing team. Personally, I'd go for;

Cyclops
    Wolverine
    Collosus
    Iceman
    Beast
    Angel
    Rouge

I'd probably add Jean later, and have the love triangle build up. I've no love for Psylocke, Emma Frost and Jubilee, and would probably use the likes of Nightcrawler, Bishop, Cable, Gambit etc for guest spots. X-Men TAS did these especially well.

11. Rietrofan90

Rietrofan90 Member

They are all in their late teens to early twenties ala Ultimate X-Men.

1. Iceman- Bobby Drake, about 19, one of the major characters. He's probably closest to TAS: Bobby...

2. Shadowcat- Kitty Pryde would be the intelligent, blunt, curly haired version of the character. She would be a lot like the Excalibur version. She wouldn't have "met" with Ogun yet, and she'll be 19 or 20.

3. Nightcrawler- Kurt Wagner will be the team leader, 21. He's most likely going to be a combination of Evo!Kurt and early comics Kurt.

4. Havok- Alex would be the youngest of the X-Men at 17. he'll be very similar to the comics version, albiet with EVO!Alex's love of surfing.

5. Beast- Hank McCoy has recently returned to the X-Men after an expierment gone wrong turned him blue and fuzzy. Although still intelligent and fun loving, he'll mostly keep to himself and Bobby. [about 21]

6. Emma Frost- She's only 20, but already the head of her own company, Frost Enterprises. She won't be a member of the Hellfire Club, so the codename "White Queen" doesn;t exist. She'll be one of the major characters, and will be exactly like pre Scott loving comcis Emma.

7. Pete Wisdom- He'll be around 21 or 22. He was once a member of Black Air, but after seeing the horrors of what they do on a regular basis, he "quit." Soon after he came to America, met Kitty Pryde, fell inlove with her, and sort of joined the X-Men.

12. AdamYJ

AdamYJ The Saturday Morning Kid

Well, this is a hard thing to put together because you know certain slots will already be filled. Through the various interpretations of them in outside media, you can usually count on these characters being there:

Prof. X
    Cyclops
    Jean Grey
    Wolverine
    Storm
    and a requisite teenage member to provide the necessary viewpoint ("Pryde of the X-Men" used Shadowcat, TAS used Jubilee, the movie used a young Rogue).

The only time I remember this formula being dviated from is "Pryde of the X-Men", and that was probably because there were issues concerning Jean Grey's actions in the comics. They also have tendency of working in Rogue and Beast more often than not.

Since I think they'd want to stick with what's expected to a certain extent, here's what I'd do.

Prof. X- He's a given. Imagine doing X-Men without him.

Cyclops- Ever the strong, confident leader. Though still a stiff with a few issues.

Phoenix- Jean here is Phoenix in name only. I want to steer away from the cosmic stuff a bit and focus on the character as a human being rather than as a force of nature.

Wolverine- What can I say? He's the best there is at what he does. And usually that's being a tough guy with a heart of gold.

Storm- Not much to say here. Storm is Storm is Storm (unless she's Punk Storm, which she's not).

Collosus- The team should have some real physical muscle on it. Collosus rarely gets much play except as a guest star. He's also got all this story material concerning his family and stuff. So, Piotr is in.

Iceman- I just like Bobby. He's one of the rare X-Men who doesn't have a long, convoluted past. Plus, he's good for a touch of comedy and his powers have versatility.

Jubilee- I want to try something different with the character of Jubilee. In the original TAS series, Jubilee was basically just there to provide the viewpoint. In this series, when we first meet Jubilee, she's a 15 year old street rat who's long on cunning and short on respect. She's lost her family and doesn't really trust anyone. When she does get recruited to the X-Men, her street smarts and talent for surviving on her own prove just as useful as her mutant power.

13. Ed Liu

Ed Liu That's 'Cause I ATE IT!!!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Howdy,

OK, I'll bite...

Professor X: Can't have the team without him, even if he's not a field agent.

Cyclops: Splits team leader duties with Storm. I'd also prefer a shy, taciturn personality rather than the "stick in the mud" personality he usually gets saddled with.

Storm: Co-team leader with Cyclops. I'm not entirely sure if I'd want the elegant, graceful Wind Rider, or the slightly edgier, less controlled mohawk Storm. Both have their appeal.

Colossus: Any good team has to have the muscle, and he's it.

Nightcrawler: I envision him as sort of filling in the role of Beast Boy on the TV Teen Titans, as the one who uses humor and a light-hearted touch to hide his fundamental insecurity (in this case, about his own appearance and, if they want to push it, his struggles with faith).

Kitty Pryde: Make her into what I see her doing in the current Joss Whedon comic, as audience stand-in and the one who tends to point out the fundamental silliness of the situation sometimes. Plus, she's a computer whiz extraordinare, making her the brainy member of the team. You could probably fill this role with Jubilee just as easily.

Beyond that, I'd leave the 6th slot open for any number of rotating guest stars, including Wolverine, Havok & Polaris, Psylocke, Bishop, Rogue, Beast, Iceman, or the Starjammers/Shi'ar Empire people.

-- Ed/Ace

14. Jean_Grey

Jean_Grey Fire Made Flesh

Professor X- Gotta have him
    Cyclops-The Leader
    Wolverine-Wouldn't be much without him.
    Storm-If something happened to Cyke she'd lead the team.
    Phoenix-I wouldn't have the whole Phoenix saga though.
    Rogue-I like Rogue but not a goth Rogue.

I'd also have
    Angel
    Emma
    Beast
    Colossus
    but they wouldn't be as important as the other guys.

15. Mynd Hed

Mynd Hed Holy blue on a popo!

What can I say, I'm a sucker for make-your-own-superhero-team threads.

Prof. X - 'Nuff said.

Cyclops - Preferably with a character design that actually fits the name "Slim." You've got other characters for the physical stuff, no need to buff him up a la TAS or the Ultimate comics. Unfortunately, Summers is a character you need to have, but he's dead in the water when the writers don't know how to use his character (TAS and a lot of the comics are guilty of this). Here's hoping any future X-Men series gets him as right as Evo did.

Iceman - Younger than the others-- Bobby works well as the "kid"-- but with more spotlight time than either TAS or Evo. Here's a member of the original five who needs his turn to shine as a member of the core team.

Nightcrawler - Farther toward the TAS end of the spectrum as opposed to his Evo incarnation, but he doesn't have to be serious ALL the time. Ideally he could have a character arc or two to explore all of the different sides of his nature at one point or another.

Beast - Blue from the beginning, and closer to the TAS "gorilla" design than the later comics "feline" look. His character's pretty consistent in most of his previous incarnations, and I see no need for that to change.

Rogue - Start her off with only the power-draining. Strength and flight could be added after a season or two.

Psylocke - The Ninja Hypothesis must be confirmed once again.

Shadowcat - A good choice for the slightly younger "viewpoint" character. As has been mentioned, Jubilee fits this archetype as well, but in terms of team balance Kitty's powers allow for more variety.

Other characters could debut as guest stars and possibly get shifted into heavier rotation after a couple seasons, but those would be the core characters.

Of course, that lineup will never happen. An animated X-Men without Wolverine and Jean in central positions? I wish.

16. ManicWebb

ManicWebb You were cold as ice...

One thing I'd like to do is adapt the recent runs of Morrison, Claremont, Whedon, and even Austen into a line-up of characters I'd like to see interacting.

Cyclops - The stiff leader with a complicated personal life. I'd also use his recent blue costume. It's new, but it feels like a classic throwback.

Phoenix - Jean with her basic telepathy and TK, only slightly boosted by an occasional push from the Phoenix force. It's not so much like she's turning back into the Phoenix again, but has a connection more like Rachel's. I'd also use her red/yellow Phoenix costume from a few years ago.

Emma Frost - Face it. The Scott-Jean-Logan triangle is old news. I think it's time to see Scott get torn between his wife, and the ever so flirty Emma.

Juggernaut - He's the obligatory powerhouse. I'd really like to see how he and Emma get along, both being distrusted former villains and all. I really like the idea of him being a good guy.

Iceman - He's due. Overdue. He should've been a main character in a cartoon long ago. I'd also like to see him as the college graduated adult who everyone still treats like a kid. Probably the immature comic relief character, but still a competent team member.

Shadowcat - A computer expert, hacker, and the team brainiac. Also one of the best hand-to-hand fighters on the team.

Storm - Used more often than the Storm in Evo, less melodramatic than TAS, and more regal than the movie version. The second in command of the team. She'd also have an innocent, flirty friendship with her teammate...

Nightcrawler - Because you can never get enough of this guy.

I'd probably take a page out of the current Excalibur series, and have Professor X away in Genosha, building a nation with Magneto. That would leave Cyclops, Phoenix, and Emma running the school.

I'd also want frequent background cameos by some students and teachers, like Dani Moonstar, Squidboy (you can't have Juggy without him), and those creepy Stepford girls. And let's just say Rogue and Gambit are living quietly in California.

17. randomguy

randomguy Came, liked Ike, and left.

Sure, I'm down for this.

My team would consist of six members, which I figure is large enough for plenty of good dynamics, but small enough to make the cast intimate and easy to manage.

-Wolverine
    -Cyclops
    -Colossus
    -Nightcrawler
    -Storm
    -Jean Grey/Phoenix

These six seem fairly obvious to me. I came to this revelation when I read Ultimate X-Men #48 a few months back. There was a splash page of this specific team standing shoulder-to-shoulder, and something about it just clicked. There was a symmetry to this team, a nice mix of ethinticities, genders, powers, and personalities.

I might consider adding in a cast of new mutants later on, like Evo did so successfully, which would probably include Kitty Pryde, Angel, Iceman, Madrox, Dazzler (taking a page from the Ultimate comics, where she's a punk-rock *****), etc. I'd wait at least a season, though. Obviously, there'd be plenty of guest stars, like Beast and Psylocke.

The supporting cast would also be something to consider. Obviously, you'd have Professor X, but I'd also include Moira MacTaggert. It's good to have a human perspective with all these mutants around, and she could be the "doctor" character who's needed anyway.

18. KuwabaraTheMan

KuwabaraTheMan Active Member

Professor X: Leader and founder of the X-Men, really obvious choice

Cyclops: He's the heart of the X-Men and their field leader, tough leader with tactical smarts, but also a very compassionate person. And don't make him angry. You won't like him when he's angry.

Wolverine: Because Marvel won't allow an X-Men series without Wolverine.

Northstar: The wise-ass, semi loose cannon of the team. He has his own pace, but also is a rather nice guy beneath all of his rough and sarcastic exterior.

Shadowcat: Mix between her Evolution and Astonishing versions. She's the teams resident tech whiz, the nice girl, but she can be a kick-ass ninja as well. She also represents the moral center of the team.

Colossus: The boy next door Russian guy. Nice big guy with a heart of gold(and a body of organic steel, whatever organic steel is supposed to be:p ). He's very polite, and a bit of a shy guy as well. He's also mostly a follower, but he has very clear cut morals in his mind about what right and wrong are.

Nightcrawler: The jokester of the team, with a serious, religous aspect, too. He's the second in command of the team after Cyclops.

Iceman: Fun, laid back guy who loosens everyone up and is out to have a great time. He's constantly at odds with Cyke, too.

Rogue: The more depressing member of the team, with a dark past. A bit of a loner, who seperates herself from the rest of the team.

#18 KuwabaraTheMan, Feb 26, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2005
  19. Mystique

Mystique Member

Wolverine
    Jean Grey/pheonix
    Cyclops
    Night Crawler
    Shadow Cat
    Rouge
    Professor X
    Mystique (as a villan)

that would be my ideal x men line up

20. Johnny Cakes

Johnny Cakes "Gutter Calypso"

I would like to see the original X-men for a series, at least for the first season. So you have:

Prof. X
    Jean Grey
    Cyclops
    Beast (not yet blue)
    Angle
    Iceman

I would have Beast transform in the first season, but not until a few episodes in. Some others X-men would guest star, but it would be until at least the second season before more were added to the cast. I think it would be cool to work with the original cast.