1. View our list of the Top 10 Characters That Need a DC Animated Film. Click here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Your vivid memories of bad TV

Discussion in 'Platypus Comix' started by Peter Paltridge, Dec 22, 2007.

1. mimitchi33

mimitchi33 Kyupikon!

• Nina Needs to Go: All it was was this little girl who had to pee the whole time and never learned her lesson.
    • Coconut Fred's Fruit Salad Island: I had no idea what I was watching when I saw an episode of this. It was very, very bizarre.

2. twilicorn

twilicorn HER AIM IS GETTING BETTER

In fifth grade we were doing some curriculum thing about Van Gogh so we watched a movie about him called "Starry Night". Rather than a documentary, it was this weird tv movie that started with him somehow coming back from the dead and getting hit by a parade float. In the hospital he finds out to his astonishment that his paintings became famous. Then he gets into a relationship with this girl and there's like these subplots or something. I barely remember any of it - except for the ending where Van Gogh and the girl are playing around at the beach and he gives this speech about "I can't be in love with you anymore" or something. Then he literally runs off into the waves (presumably to drown) while the girl is calling out to him. The movie ends with her on the roof of her apartment building sadly hugging the hat he left behind. This isn't necessarily "bad TV", but it's pretty depressing for fifth grade, amirite?

3. twilicorn

Platypus Comix has talked a bit about Pink Lady's TV show previously - specifically, in a rundown of some TV Guide ads from the period.
    I also love the Agony Booth's review of each episode.

4. Kitschensyngk

Kitschensyngk Always never quite right

At one point long after Full House was cancelled, in the early years of the FCC's mandatory "three hours of educational content" rule, the Olsen twins, if you can believe it, had their own Saturday morning cartoon show in which they played secret agents.

I only saw one episode of this show. The villain of this particular episode was a super-conceited DJ who plotted to take over the world with his music. His plan involved crashing a world summit by interrupting the ceremony where they play every member nation's national anthem (for some reason I've long forgotten) by having them play his own music instead. The obvious moral of the story was about individuality and celebrating people's differences, made even more anvilicious by the fact that every other line of dialogue the villain had was how everybody should only like the kind of things that he liked.

5. TheMisterFree

TheMisterFree Member

I think I remember seeing that. It was aired on ABC's One Saturday Morning for whatever insane reason, despite the fact that Disney had sold DiC off a year or two prior.

6. Zeether

Zeether Victory!

Pink Lady and Jeff is horrifying just to read about. It and Supertrain were the biggest NBC flops from what I recall, and the latter nearly bankrupted the network.

I remember seeing the last episode of Seinfeld when I was younger. Didn't think much of it, but then I found out that it's pretty much the worst episode of the show. A podcast host put it best: "Seinfeld is a show about nothing, and in this episode something happened."

7. TheMisterFree

TheMisterFree Member

Yeah, and what's ironic is that that shortly after Supertrain was canned, the new NBC game show Chain Reaction (with Bill Cullen) reused a cue from Supertrain as their theme- and then Silverman canned it six months later (along with High Rollers and The Hollywood Squares, which he'd been trying to cancel for a while up to that point- he just hated game shows in general) for David Letterman's infamous daytime talk show.

8. Chris

Chris I am a DuMont production.

The first time I saw Coconut Fred, I thought "SpongeBob ripoff."

9. Red Arrow :D

Red Arrow :D Proud Beneluxer

Anything on MTV. Especially Geordie Shore and Jersey Shore. Do I even need to explain why? :sweat:

As for cartoons: VIRUS ATTACK

You can watch all episodes for free on YouTube. Legally. That's how bad it is :')

(It aired on Cartoon Network Italy)

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Dsneybuf

Dsneybuf Well-Known Member

So, do you find Daria overrated, or did you not see it? If the former, then I'd think you would need to explain why.

11. Kitschensyngk

Kitschensyngk Always never quite right

I've never seen Supertrain, but I have heard about it. It was basically NBC's attempt to cash in on The Love Boat's popularity with a gigantic nuclear-powered luxury bullet train. They made themselves a super-expensive model train for the show that crashed during shooting and had to be rebuilt. And the low ratings certainly didn't help.

1980 was not a good year for NBC. On top of Pink Lady and the fallout from Supertrain, they also had the broadcast rights to that year's Summer Olympics in Moscow, which the U.S. had just decided to boycott.

#71 Kitschensyngk, Jun 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
  12. Zeether

Zeether Victory!

Yup, the model train cost thousands to build and they had to spend another grand on making a new one.

I have to wonder if those models are in storage now or NBC scrapped them due to old shame.

13. twilicorn

1983 wasn't so hot for NBC either. All of their new shows introduced in the fall (like Mr. Smith and Jennifer Slept Here) failed to last a full season (with the possible exception of We Got It Made, which was rebooted for NBC's "Prime Time Begins At 7:30" syndication package, then flopped again).