Your vivid memories of bad TV

Discussion in 'Platypus Comix' started by Peter Paltridge, Dec 22, 2007.

1. Darklordavaitor

Darklordavaitor Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Wow. I was going to do a post about the tweenybopper trash that was Lizzie McGuire, but I can't top that.

2. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

Do it anyway; I've never seen Lizzie and now I'm curious.

3. Jeff Harris

Jeff Harris Creator/Webmaster, TXB

In an odd sense of irony, Cherie Johnson not only played the best friend of Punky Brewster named, um, Cherie Johnson (you know, the one that got stuck in the abandoned refrigerator), but she also played the best friend of Laura Winslow on Family Matters. Also, David Duclon, ironically Cherie Johnson's uncle, was also the creator of Punky Brewster and a writer and co-executive producer of Family Matters. He also wrote the Mr. T episode of Differ'nt Strokes.

Also, how dare you forget the episode when Steve Urkel used the transformation chamber and a strand of Bruce Lee's hair to become a clone of the martial arts master? Or the It's A Wonderful Life [strike]ripoff[/strike] homage which has an angel showing Laura what it would be like to be Steve Urkel, which shows her as a nerd and our Steve as a relatively normal teen who's Carl's son? Or the episode Steve makes a perfect clone of himself and turning the copy into Stefan Urquelle, who's now apparently his fashion supermodel cousin now?

4. carlaspirit

carlaspirit I'm coming home

Oh please do. I've never actually watched the show myself but years ago I shared a hotel room (part of a school trip) with someone obsessed with the show. We were watching ABC the night the trailer for the movie premiered and she forced us all to shut up and stop what we were doing so she could watch it in peace.

5. DawnWarrior

DawnWarrior Member

Vivid memories of bad TV? Oh, what fun...:evil:

Generally I could just say "Power Rangers! The whole thing!" That damn show had my attention from about 4th grade on through to 7th. But one episode in particular sticks out. In Season 2, they did a three-part episode introducing the characters Rocky, Adam, and Aisha, who would eventually replace Jason (Red), Zack (Black), and Trina (Yellow) on the team. (BTW, If you looked carefully, you could tell that those three actors had already left the show long ago; out-of-costume we only saw them in stock footage, and in-costume their dialog was all either recycled from other episodes or recorded by sound-alike actors). So they introduced them in this three-part episode, which looking back probably started as a two-parter that at the last minute was stretched and padded into three parts, as far too many good two-parters have been either to meet some quota or give it some extra prestige (see the opener for the recent He-Man cartoon for another example). I missed Part One the first time it was on, and gave my mom a lot of crap about it. Later they showed it on a rerun, and half the episode was the main characters chasing a runaway baby carriage on roller blades. Remember, this is a show that's all about fighting monsters with toyetic giant robots and cartoony karate moves. Half the episode. A ***damn baby carriage. I apologized to my mom for the crap I gave her after that.

6. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

I not only remember it, I also remember the circumstances: they were being held at gunpoint by terrorists in a warehouse or something. Carl was there too, and so was Urk's transformation device, and a test tube simply labeled "Bruce." Urkel convinces them that it could be Bruce Springsteen, and so they let him.....no, forget it, I don't want to relive this anymore.

I wish the Punky Brewster cartoon was sold separately, or at least, that someone would put those on YouTube. Yes, it probably stinks but it was one of the first cartoons I ever saw.

7. captcomic83

captcomic83 Member

Thar multi-parter was called 'The Ninja Encounter'!

J.A.P.

8. FightingDreamer

FightingDreamer Mutant on the Rise

The only bad memories I have of Power Rangers come from Turbo (Mighty Morphin is still entertaining to me, gorramit! So are Space and Lost Galaxy, although those are legitimately good), particularly one episode where they fight a monster who uses... pizza as a weapon. Seriously, pizza? Granted, it exploded, but still: PIZZA. Also, rewatching the Turbo movie on Cartoon Network recently opened the Justin wound again, and I seem to remember, even as a kid, hating him intensely enough that I wanted him to die. Granted, as a 6 year-old, I though being a Power Ranger would've been the coolest thing ever, but Justin was just lame. I remember thinking "Pfft. I'd be so much better as a Ranger than this twerp".

Ah, the memories of youth...

9. DawnWarrior

DawnWarrior Member

Justin sounds like one of those "audience surrogate" characters that networks like to shoehorn in to a lot of shows so the kids in the audience will have someone to "relate" to. I've noticed that the more relatable they try to make such a character, the more hateful and annoying he/she becomes.

10. captcomic83

captcomic83 Member

Bravo is going to bring back Top Design, a show that did poorly in its first season, ratings-wise!

J.A.P.

11. HomeMoviesFan

HomeMoviesFan I have a nemesis!

One that comes to mind is an episode of the Simpsons named "Monty Can't Buy Me Love" from season 10 (during the notorious Scully era), which ends with the Loch Ness Monster getting a job as a slot machine attendant in Las Vegas. This ending is so bad, that even those on the audio commentary (yes, those who actually worked on this episode) couldn't believe their eyes and trashed it. Granted, it had been seven years, but thank god Matt Groening wasn't in that day.

Though I'm now looking forward to audio commentaries of "Kill the Alligator and Run" and "Simpson Safari", and especially "Homer Vs. Dignity"...

12. Lonestarr

Lonestarr Stop eating my sesame cake!
    Staff Member Moderator

Call me crazy, but I love "Monty Can't Buy Me Love".

When it gets to the panda scene of "Homer vs. Dignity", I can only imagine (in a creepy bit of irony) the commenters making like Kevin Costner's commentary for The Postman...from "Monty Can't Buy Me Love"!

13. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

I was a little too old for Full House, but I did catch it once in a while and I remember at least a few completely ridiculous things. There was one episode where Joey did something that would get a normal person jail time and a lady cop shows up in their back yard to arrest him. The family talks her out of it with an argument that emphasizes both Joey's cuteness and his stupidity, but that isn't the stupidest part. The stupidest part is that the cop who came to arrest Joey is a motorcycle cop. What was she going to do, make him ride on the back?

I did, because I liked looking at the girls on it, used to watch Just the Ten of Us all the time when USA reran it. There was one really stupid episode where because the family was so big they qualified for foodstamps and acted like they'd never seen food before. There was a part where the girls were fighting about taking the food, including a tug of war over a cheese wheel. The dad eventually comes in and settles it by saying they're going to give it to charity or something, but he notices one of the girls has gotten to the cheese wheel and says "All Right. Who cut the cheese!"

Talking about stupid, I remember the characters on the A-Team constantly knocking out and drugging Mr. T because he was afraid to fly. He acted the way he did because he had brain damage. They also had these overblown firefights were nobody was ever shot even though they used machine guns. I remember the first time I ever saw someone shot on the A-Team, just winged in the shoulder, that it was a really big deal.

14. Eleanor Hugbees

Cop Rock, New Kids on The Block : The Animated series, The Misadventures of Sheriff Lobo, just to name a few.

Although the intro to Sheriff Lobo was kind of cool. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPE2ySTIGRM

But until you have seen "Cool as Ice" starting Vanilla Ice, You really don't know bad. I heard it was actually banned in some places for sucking that badly, but don't quote me on that.:shrug:

15. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

I loved Sheriff Lobo when I was a kid. Used to watch it every day in syndication at about 4 or 5 p.m. They knew what age range it was aimed at intellectually. It's a BJ and the Bear spinoff and I used to watch that just about every day, too.

16. Eleanor Hugbees

I consider it more of a guilty pleasure than just flat out bad, actually. I just wanted to mention it without being completely off topic.;)

17. pacman000

pacman000 Member

I remember watching a show for about 7 episodes, then having to wait three months for it to come back on. Then there were only about more 9 episodes before the season's end. Not an early trial season either; this show had been running for 2-3 years. :/ ;)

18. Kitschensyngk

Kitschensyngk The kids are all wrong

Are any of you familiar with a Disney Channel original movie titled Zenon: The Zequel? Because I, unfortunately, am.

I had the misfortune of watching this with my younger sister. It was basically about this overly giddy teenage girl on a space station who has to babysit the stuck-up rich daughter of this important admiral character or something and they've been forced to jettison several parts of the space station for some reason, budget cuts or something, and she discovers these alien life forms which only she knows about and nobody will believe her and she deduces that these aliens want to meet this super-annoying Australian accented pop singer and she and the stuck-up rich daughter get stranded on Earth and they go to find this pop singer while along the way they overcome their differences and become friends and they bring the pop singer back to the space station so he can meet these aliens and the aliens finally show themselves and fix the space station and it's all stupid and the girls are too giggly and everyone's screaming "cetus-lapeetus" at the top of their lungs and nothing about the plot made sense and yes this has turned into a really long run-on sentence because it's so stupid it's all I can type.

I wrote this about it not long after I watched it which goes into more detail. (oh hell it's all coming back oh the pain)

• Funny Funny x 1
    #58 Kitschensyngk, Jun 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
  19. Dsneybuf

Dsneybuf Well-Known Member

I personally found Zenon: Z3 even worse. For starters, Nebula only appeared three times (each time shot against an obvious green screen), and Zenon gained an adoptive cousin, who tried to run away from home because of a really stupid misunderstanding.
    She overheard her parents discussing whether or not they should really keep a puppy in the house, and thought they were talking about putting her back up for adoption.

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. Kitschensyngk

Kitschensyngk The kids are all wrong

I've seen Pink Lady and Jeff. It is the ANTITHESIS of entertainment.

Pink Lady were a pop duo from Japan who NBC head Fred Silverman brought over to perform in an American variety show. (And by perform, I mean poorly sing American pop songs phonetically--I should mention that they didn't speak English at the time.) The "Jeff" refers to Jeff Altman, the unfunny comedian they brought in to teach the girls about American culture...or more specifically engage them in a bunch of bland sketches and corny musical numbers and then get tricked into entering a hot tub fully clothed at the end of each episode.

Also, Jim Varney of the Ernest movies appeared on it.

There was one recurring sketch where Jeff played this annoying art dealer who was acting like a used car salesman, there were tabloid- and radio-themed segments with corny blackout gags, and your usual brand of 1970's* racial insensitivity. ("Their honorable ancestors had boogie fever!") The only bright spots in this six-episode train wreck were a guest appearance by THE Jerry Lewis and the one or two occasions where they actually let Pink Lady sing one of their own songs - otherwise, DREADFUL.

*The show premiered in 1980, BTW.