1. Episode 13 of the Toonzone Podcast is live! Listen to it here: http://www.toonzone.net/toonzone-podcast-episode-13/

We discuss The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, the Nintendo Switch, 20 years of Toonami, Toonami’s first era on Cartoon Network, the Adult Swim era, and what we’d like to see from Toonami in the future.

Dismiss Notice

Your vivid memories of bad TV

Discussion in 'Platypus Comix' started by Peter Paltridge, Dec 22, 2007.

1. Anyone00

Anyone00 The Moltar-Snork

The "yogurt" scene from the Spewey episode of Get a Life: I couldn't find the exact scene.

#21 Anyone00, Mar 5, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2008
  2. Dynamite XI

Dynamite XI Whoa, where have I been?

No kidding. One episode of FH even came close to being the first without a sappy moral...remember the one where Stephanie and DJ put a hole in Danny's bedroom wall and tried to fix it? Danny never found out, and the kiddos actually got away with it with no consequences.

I remember seeing it as a kid, thinking that it had to be the most AWESOME Full House ever. But the writers managed to sneak in a line from Stephanie about wanting to mean more to DJ or some such thing, thus adding another obligitory FH sappy scene, and my hopes were dashed.

3. Darklordavaitor

Darklordavaitor Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I've been thinking about doing the unthinkable to really add some suck here:

To rewatch all 194(!) episodes of Full House to rediscover all the cheesy morals, lame and holed-up stories, and cornball jokes. Pray for me, as I may not come back the same.

4. Dynamite XI

Don't do it! Some countries actually use that as a form of torture, and I think there's actually a Surgeon General's warning on the box sets of those DVDs.

5. Zorak Masaki

Zorak Masaki Active Member

Speaking of full house, i was watching an ep earlier today and they had stephanie singing "i write the songs". Considering Barry Manilow was NEVER considered cool (even neil diamond had that comeback a few years ago), and the show was aimed at kids, its odd that they'd choose that song of all songs (at least uncle jesse was into elvis and the beach boys, who were still considered cool even in 1988).

6. sergeant_w

sergeant_w Member

I couldn't sleep last night, so I put on Nick at Nite and watched an episode of Full House. Steve Urkle showed up (as the cousin of Deejay's friend) and the second he walked through the front door my head exploded.

7. Jon Cooke

Jon Cooke GAC!

Just stumbled across this thread... holy cow, the bad TV childhood memories are flooding back. :ack:

Wasn't this the one that ended with Danny proposing to his then-girlfriend ... and nothing ever became of it. To this day I never found out how they explained their way out of THAT one.

I also remember Roseanne and Blossom taking very special Disney vacations as well. The only thing I remember is Blossom --- riding on the now-defunct Fantasyland Skyway --- seeing her boyfriend down below hug another girl (later turns out it was just his cousin or something, ho ho) and she dumps her cup of soda out of the Skyway cab at him. Something that, if done in real life, would surely have Mickey's security kick you out of the Magic Kingdom.

Meanwhile on Family Matters did they ever explain whatever became of the youngest daughter and the aunt (Little Ricky (Richy?) seemed to still live with the Winslows, though).

God, WHY do I remember this!?!

Excuse me, I need to go pop in a Looney Tunes DVD and cleanse my brain now. :shame:

8. Racattack!Force

Racattack!Force 私は、ああ、くそっバットマンなんだよ !

I only know of Full House from watching Nick At Night, but I have yet to see the episodes you guys are talking about. Family Matters seems to wacky for my tastes though.

9. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

They didn't explain what happened to Rachel Winslow either--these characters just disappeared as Urkel took up more and more screen time.

Here's an awful line from Early Edition I just remembered now.There was a season where Gary had a bland girlfriend (she was just kind of there) and she had a son, so some episodes revolved around the kid. There was one where he had a crush on a girl named Dom (Dom? Maybe they meant Dominique) and he spent the afternoon writing poetry.

"What rhymes with Dom? Um.....you're better than my mom? I know...you're like a CD-ROM!"

Seriously? "You're like a CD-ROM"? Unless the CD-ROM was "Sam and Max Hit the Road"....

10. Dynamite XI

Such a tragedy for an otherwise brilliant show. They got rid of the kid and mom at the end of that season, but the damage had been done; EE only lasted one more season after that.

There was a particularly bad crush-centered episode of Dr. Quinn, too, that centered around the youngest kid (was his name Brian? I forget). A new girl comes to town, and Brian gets smitten. Some kind of rival trys to win the new girl's affections instead, so to impress her MORE, Brian starts taking piano lessons. Wow.

Eventually he has to rescue the girl from something, and she kisses him, and they both perform at a piano recital and live happily ever after, until the next episode when she's miraculously gone (unless I'm wrong; I really don't remember her being on there after that).

11. Jon Cooke

Jon Cooke GAC!

Another awful show that has a couple memories burned into my head of is Punky Brewster. Typical cheesy NBC '80s sitcom that revolved around a spunky, street-smart 6 year old getting adopted by grumpy old man with a heart of gold. Anyway, one memory is one of the "very special" moral-at-the-end episodes that had a game of hide-and-seek result in Punky's black girl friend getting trapped in an abandoned refrigerator. Another had Punky, her dog and a couple pals on vacation(?) and wandering into some spooky, abandoned mine or cave. Punky gets separated from dog and friends and it gets all spooky, next thing we see is her dog as a WALKING, BARKING DOG SKELETON. Scared the crap out of me, I remember making my mom turn it off!

I haven't seen the show since (and no desire to revisit it)... so it's funny those two things still stick out in my mind.

12. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

That sounds like a typical Dr. Quinn, actually. I could fill a book on that show.

There was one where a bad disease was taking the lives of people around the town. After this problem was established as the threat of the episode, we then saw Colleen with some girl the show had never revealed before, who was apparently her best friend all this time. And they were talking about how they'd always be there for one another and how they'd be at each other's weddings and....yeah. Guess who was next?

The predictability of that show was horrible.

There was also the episode where Byron Sully was lost in the woods and faint on the ground and about to die and--I swear this happened--Dr. Quinn communicated with him remotely through a flower. There was a flower where he was lying and the same type of flower was growing where Quinn was, and he whimpered "Michaela!!" and she heard it through the flower and whimpered back "Sully!" and he heard it too.....I'm serious, the show did this.

13. The Nameless

The Nameless Demoted Regular

...WHAT?!

Anyways, I have no bad TV memories to share with you, unless you consider Chip N' Dale Rescue Rangers "bad TV". So dang CORNY!

#33 The Nameless, May 11, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2008
  14. Desensitized

Desensitized Old School!

How about the Family Matters where they go to France and terrorists get involved. There's a chase scene that seems almost ripped from 'European Vacation' and the whole thing is just so ridiculous. Urkel eventually gets thrown off the Eiffel Tower, too.

15. The Nameless

The Nameless Demoted Regular

OK, considering the amount of WTF that allegedly lurks in "Family Matters", I'm going to look at some episodes. I will probably post the strangeness here. Don't be surprised if I come back with brain damage.

16. Ykwia

Ykwia Active Member

Mostly everything on The CW. An example of bad TV.

17. carlaspirit

carlaspirit I'm coming home

Family Matters, oh where do I begin. Well, I was looking through the episode synopses for Family Matters at TV.com and picked out a couple of gems for us to look over.

-Steve creates the Urkelbot, a mechanical Urkel that is all too much like its creator.

-Laura may be sorry for banishing Urkel from her life—in her dreams, she's a 90-year-old spinster whose only visitor is a now-married Urkel.

-Laura get a fake ID and heads to a strip club, unaware her mother, grandmother, and aunt are planning to go there as well.

-The NBA's Larry Johnson plays Grandmama (his TV-ad alter ego), who becomes Urkel's new partner in a city basketball competition after Eddie dumps Urkel for star player Kenny.

-After a vengeful Myra tampers with Urkel's transformation chamber, Carl steps into it and steps out as an Urkel-like nerd.

-Another transformation-chamber mishap turns Urkel into a gyrating Elvis with a hunka hunka lot of explaining to do during a meeting with an MIT recruiter.

-Mischief-maker Urkel and his troublesome transformation chamber move in with the Winslows and he wreaks household havoc by shrinking both himself and Carl in an experiment gone awry.

-Steve's guilt-stricken over fantasizing about a gorgeous bug collector he met on the Internet.

-Steve invents some musically-activated gunpowder, which Myra mistakes for pepper when she uses it to prepare a big dinner for Carl's commissioner.

18. DarthGonzo

DarthGonzo Fourteen Years!

I want Family Matters to come to DVD just so I can have the pleasure of burning a copy in some sort of twisted sacrifice.

What were they thinking with those later episodes? Absolutely appalling.

19. J. B. Warner

J. B. Warner Increasing my wordiness

I officially take back everything bad I ever said about Mike Scully's work on "The Simpsons". At least it never got as bad as that...

20. Desensitized

Desensitized Old School!

Well, at least in the finale Urkel got lost in space. That's something. :p