1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Your Suggestions - Smallville Season 8

Discussion in 'DC Live-Action Movies and Television' started by DisneyBoy, Apr 5, 2008.

1. DisneyBoy

DisneyBoy Searchin' My Soul

I know, I know...I'm hardly a big fan of the show, so why would I care if things improve or not in the last season?

Well, with Al and Miles leaving their post and Kristin and Michael doing a part-time gig, I think there's a real opportunity here for change. So let's make some suggestions!

Though this ship has sailed for the most part, what with Metropolis and Super Friends becoming bigger parts of the series, I'd still like to get to know the inhabitants of Smallville. This show, for my money, really should have cared more about exploring Clark's home town, given that they named the series after it and all! This would mean devoting screen time and plots to supporting characters like Martha, Aunt Nel, Lana's birth father, Chloe's Dad and other town inhabitants whose arcs were abandonned. If the show isn't always trying to be "epic", and actually spends some time down-to-earth, it may win back the the more sophisticated viewers who are interested in things other than hype, special effects and comic book references.

Speaking of hype, the series should really stop trying to drag out some false sense of suspence over the course of three or four episodes. Does anybody care anymore what Lionel is worried will come? Or Martian Manhunter? Or whoever happens to be screaming out end-of-the-world warnings this week?

Pair Jimmy and Kara together and ship them off. They're horribly annoying and I honestly couldn't care less about either of them as they've been written thus far.

Bring back Green Arrow and continue to use him well. He's definitely been the most interesting superhero addition to the show, and I'd seriously encourage a spin-off with him as the lead, rather than Supergirl.

Anyone else care to throw their two cents in?

2. GuardianKid13

.More big bads from the comics (Darkseid maybe?..with just one punch he'll knock sissyman unconcious lol).
    .Less Clana in Lana's final eps..
    .Clark learning how to fly! I heard that the Gough and Miller were the one's responsible for the "no tights, no flights" rule so maybe he'll fly.
    .Less kryptonite on the show, I mean c'mon there's almost kryptonite in every episode, I understand that it's his weakness but to much is to much! He has other weaknessess (sp?) too ya know.
    .Other love interests for Clark (I don't want it to be like Clana with the whole soap opera love kinda thing but it would be nice for him to date someone else...Lori maybe?)

3. DisneyBoy

I'm hoping for fewer love interests, actually. If you're hoping they won't milk every moment of Lana's appearances in season 8, you're dreaming. This show is all about a bevvy of buxom babes draping themselves over Clark, and it's really made the series into a soap. I'm hoping for some kinda dignified resolution to the Chloe/Clark crush subplot that's run throughout the show, but seeing as how Lois is going to likely step up to Clark's plate next year, I doubt I'll get it.

Darkseid wouldn't work in terms of the budget constraints. If you take away CGI city scapes and blurred speed lines, this show doesn't look quite as epic, does it? That's because they've only ever had the budget to use CGI to create the impression that they could afford to show Darkseid and other planets. But they can't. If Lois and Clark couldn't do it back in the 90s, when everything was considerably cheaper, they couldn't do it now.

4. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Does an early cancellation count as a suggestion:p. Honestly for me there's no way to get the show out of its rut. I can't imagine how the show will end with a satisfying conclusion, because the show has been in a tailspin for years.

5. GuardianKid13

Even though the show hasn't been it's best since S4 (to me..) I hope the writers/ new writers / whoever gives the show the proper conclusion it deserves, since Gough and Miller already had s8 planned out they probably had their own idea so I wonder how the new ending will match up to original planned one.

6. Azrael24

Azrael24 why?

• Make Lois more than 8 or 13 episodes (i forget how many she gets)
    • Have Clark fly
    • Move him to metropolis
    • Have him work at the Daily Planet

7. DisneyBoy

So Az, you basically want it to be essentially a Superman show completely?

8. KYO'NYUU IMOUTO

Let's assume this terrible force Lionel spoke of is Darkseid, let us also say The CW will be up for episodes being more serialized, i.e. the last scene of episode A leads into the first of B. Assuming this show is still about Clark becoming Superman they should at least try to go through his first time making himself a public identity, i.e. saving the world for the first time...even if he isn't really recognized for it yet but is rather treated as a unknown force to the media. With the right make-up--which a show like this should be able to afford--Darkseid can easily be done. Entire armies of goons, maybe not, but Darkseid, yes. I'd like to see Clark be taught by J'onn that there's an outside universe and that Earth really is pretty insignificant compared to it all, considered a backwater world by the galactic community.

Another thing I'd like to see is a friggin' Green Lantern on the show and with being able to custimize their suits a campy look should not be feared. Guy Garderner uses a jacket so manybe...

Maybe a look at J'onn's true form or whatever. Also, Clark getting pissed at himself and his inability to just get out there.

As for Kara, the show could potentially shift focus to here so as to finally get Clark out there and whatnot but then she'd be bound to want to take up a Superwomen-ish role, too.

Chloe will probably die leaving Jimmy horribly messed up...probably.

But most of all, Clois. That's all I need, baby.

9. Palin Dromos

Palin Dromos The Abyss Stares Back

I'm ready for Clark to actually start embracing his Kryptonian heritage and finding a way to integrate it with his human upbringing.

He needs to square things with Jor-El in the Fortress. There have been so many times where he defies Jor-El, figures out that Jor-El wasn't totally off base, admits he was wrong, and then goes and ignores Jor-El again the next time. Isn't that one of the definitions of insanity- doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results? (Not that Clark is insane, but he needs to stop living-up to the fan-label "BDA".)

They really need to drop the level of angst on the show too.

They should start pushing the show back towards the optimism that Superman represents. Good drama is fine, but they need to evolve beyond "doom and gloom."

If they insist on keeping Kara around then they need to use her as a character mirror for Clark. More interaction, him teaching her about living on Earth and using her powers, and her teaching him about Krypton and the larger universe she knows about.

I like the increase in comic-book references, so those are fine by me. But I would also love some 'classic' Smallville call backs in the final season. Henry Small, Lex's other ex-wives, Mikail, maybe even Lucas Luthor. I'd be awesome if they could find some clever way to have Sheriff Adams make another appearance, she was a really fun foil for Clark.

Those are my thoughts.

Oh, and yes, Clark flying would be nice.

10. Steven C

Steven C Active Member

Where does it say that Al and Miles wont be back for Season 8?

11. KYO'NYUU IMOUTO

Search for the thread I posted.

EDIT: Here's the link.

#11 KYO'NYUU IMOUTO, Apr 6, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2008
  12. Azrael24

Azrael24 why?

yeah basically, its about time, he cant be the way he is now forever, even in this continuity he should've grown up and became superman by now

13. DisneyBoy

I agree, but the series is still called Smallville. I think you'd rather they just ended the show and started up a new Superman series :p Although I agree they've done that in almost respect anyways...

14. Antiyonder

Antiyonder Amalgam Universe Overlord
    Staff Member Moderator

Adding to that as others have suggested, Clark needs to start making it a regular thing to help out for the sake of it being the right thing. Because aside from an occasional civilian saving he only gets active if the incident is close to home or out of guilt.