1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Your Opinions on Transformers...

Discussion in 'Saturday Morning Forever!' started by Space Cadet, Jun 14, 2003.

1. Space Cadet

Space Cadet I'M SWEATING
    Staff Member Moderator

I wanted to get your opinions on the old Transformers series. Is G1 and Beast Wars really that good? Does G2 suck that much? I'll give you my story. I was introduced to Transformers through Robots in Disgiuse and I thought it was medicore at best. When Armada came on, I disliked the kids and the plot moved very slow. I've heard many good things about G1 and Beast Wars, but I wanted to get your opinions.

2. DianaGohan

DianaGohan Active Member

Let's see, from what I've seen of the Old Transformers Series, it was a bit better then Ok, but nothing really that special. Never saw G1 or G2, but loved Beast Wars (and to a lesser extent, Beast Machines), thought Robots in Disguise was boring, and Armada's is pretty good for what it is.

3. j32885

j32885 Suprieme Communicator Of MAVO

My Opinions On Transformers

Here's my opinions on Transformers:

Original Seasons 1 & 2 - 4.5 Stars

The Movie - 5 Stars

Original Seasons 3 & Headmasters US - 4.5 Stars

Beast Wars - 4 Stars

Beast Machines - 3.5 Stars

Robots In Disguise - 3.5 Stars

Armada - 2 Stars

Energon - Has Not Premiered Yet

4. Sketch

Sketch not like those other old guys

The single greatest Transformers thing ever is the first movie, then the first show, then Beastwars. IMO at least. RiD and Armada are terrible, but Energon looks promising at this point.

5. raykremer

raykremer Active Member

"G2" was just the G1 cartoon with annoying cgi stuff added.

6. Hades

Hades Active Member

if you grew up with G1 then you will love it. otherwise, its just a silly, campy, usually terribly animated, terribly written cartoon series that doubles as a toy commercial. since i grew up with it, i love it.

BW on the other hand is the mature TF series, with some humor thrown in of course. it has the best story line of any TF series.

BM sucked. really. the CGI is different from BW but thats not a bad thing, i liked the BM CGI, but i disliked the character designes. having Primal become a zen master is not a good idea. all the characters were acting unlike themselves. don't get me started on Silverbolt and Rhinox. the story is idiotic. plants wanting to return to a cybernetic planet after millions of years? bah.

RID is like G1 and i still can not see why so many people hated it. its just like G1. bad writing and all. the animation is better though and the toys are the best.

Armada is horrible. end of story.

7. Obi

Obi SEVEN. MONDAY.

G1 - AWESOME...for it's time period. It was a great 80's cartoon, but honestly, it's really, really, REALLY bad by today's standards. The movie however...well, that sucks too because it's a complete Star Wars ripoff, but I love it anyway.

G2 - It's just G1 with some CGI effects added between commercials.

Beast Wars - I honestly don't remember much about the show, but what I do remember, I liked. I've gone to websites and read the plot descriptions about all the episodes, and if the rest of the show is as good as they say, it's the best Transformers by far. I'm eagerly awaiting the DVD release...

Beast Machines - Never saw it. By this time I was "out" of Transformers and I didn't like the character designs. However, I've read about the series and it seems very interesting and is definately the most mature Transformers series.

Robots in Disguise - What got me back in to Transformers. Sure, it's corny, but it KNOWS its corny and that's what makes it so god.

Armada - I like it. No, really, I do. Everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, about the show is bad, but there's just something good about it that keeps me watching. Maybe it's because you don't know where the plot will go next, what with all the side switching, but I really like it. I'm betting Micron Legend is far superior though since it doesn't have to deal with dubbing errors.

And so far, Energon looks pretty good.

8. NovaSaber

NovaSaber Member

The original Transformers series (unofficially called "G1" because it came before "G2") was of variable quality, but on average, it was pretty good.
    The movie was really good.

Transformers: Generation 2 consisted of episodes from the first two seasons of G1, with some so-called "enhancements" that most fans agree actually made the show worse.

Beast Wars was consistently good. The second season was unbelievably good.

Beast Machines was a disappointment after Beast Wars, but it was still pretty good. I hate the idea of Beast Machines' ending being the last we ever see of the original Transformers universe, though.

Robots in Disguise was actually dubbed with the intention of being "filler", and it showed. But despite the fact that the show is unpopular, the toys sold really well, and Hasbro seems to have assumed that was because of the show, and that mistake led to Armada...

9. NeueZielZeon

NeueZielZeon Self-proclaimed arch-enemy

::phew::
    I thought I was the only one. Yeah sure, the kids are annoying (and that has been said enough times that it's lost all meaning), but, like Obi said, you never know where the plot is going. The characters have inproved greatly from the start of the show (with the most interesting version of Starscream yet in my opinion, and Hot Shot isn't the annoying cocky brat he was in the begining). Yeah sure, it was absolute crap when it began, but I'm probably the only one who's angry that this show is going to get packing up and leaving right when it gets good. Hopefully they'll at least get to show the Unicron arc.
    Sure, it's never gonna reach the classic status of G1, but it's very enjoyable where the story is now...

#9 NeueZielZeon, Jun 15, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2003
  10. Conekiller

Conekiller On the Cruise!

G1- great in it's day, pretty good now, but the animation was kinda silly as were most of the plots, but what it lacked in plot it made up for with personality

G2- awful. the CG stuff mutilated the show

BW-Absoulte perfection. I loved Mainframe since ReBoot, but BW really helped to round out my opinion of them as an upstart company that could produce full TV length shows. Ther story and characters were great. it suffered a bit , including a story that could have ruled (Dark Glass) and the writers really listened to the fans and were attentive to their opinions ( but I liked Airrazor). It was just awsome.

BM- great CG but it mutilated the characters and thier personalities, Ratrapp looked like ass since the first episode on, he NEVER grew on me.

RiD- liked the toys,and Gigatron, but that's about it, the annoying Predacons really killed this show for me, plus the obviously ad-libbed lines and dialogue.

Armada- it's BAD bnut it has ogtten better of late, the animation isn't pure crap, just crap served on a China plate. The characters have finally gotten development(for the most part>I'm looking at you RedAlert) and I like the toys. The comic is much better. i wonder if the minicons can actually talk in Micron Legend? The first 15 or so eps are still unbearable

Energon: hopefully it will be better than Armada and not be bugged down by lots of stupid things and really shine.

11. LEGACY

LEGACY Member

G1 is great. Who cares about the animation? It a show form the 80`s. It still had good plots.

BW was good but very overrated and cheesy. The most of the plots were reuse plots form G1. Yet nobody notice this. The only character that had a good personilty was dinobot.

BM was not bad as most make it out to be. It had better personilty then most character in BW but the plost were awful. And the design of the bots was just ugly.

RID hated it.

12. Patchwork

Patchwork There is a spider in your bed!

I'm afraid I wasn't fortunate enough to ever see the origional Transformers..I feel so unlucky...but I DO remember loving Beast Wars, I can't remember a single episode that I didn't love, and I liked Beast Machinesas well, althought it didn't really live up to BW, but good nonetheless. The only other series I've seen is Armada..and while I can't compare it to the original (as I haven't seen it >_<) I know that I despise it, no matter how much I try and force myself to like it..I always end up changing channels, even though there's absolutely nothing else on

13. Conekiller

Conekiller On the Cruise!

Uh no, almost every character had a definite personality and characteristics that made them unique ( Airrazor was one of the few who was merely.....there) Rattrap was the wiseass who was really a nice guy underneath all the sarcasm. Cheetor was the youngun learing how to act as a member of a team and around chicks. Silverbolt was the perpetual Chivalrous knight, not harming ladies and whatnot. Rhinox was oft tread upon "techno-wizz" of the group,jus cz he knew what was goin on, didn't mean he knew how to stop it always. Tigatron, a pacifist environmentalist amidst a war. Depth Charge, rebellious toughguy with a score to settle. Optimus, the leader with a strong sence of justice and fairness, plenty of courage and knew when force was the best cource of action.

Terrorsaur, treacherous upstart,killed off too early if you ask me. Scorponok, whiny ass-kisser, killed just in time. Waspinator, great big lovable oaf who only means to do good for Megs, too bad he kept getting abused on. Tarantulas, Better at sceming than Terrorsaur but had no intention of overthrowing Megatron as much as leaving Earth. Inferno, raving lunatic with an itchy trigger finger and pyrotechnic tendancies. Black Arachnia, un-trustable, but has a soft side that being around "nice' guys can bring out. QuickStrike: no real personality there, just brash and bullet happy. Ramapge, unstoppable mass of destruction, had a soft spot for the Transmutate. Megatron, calculating schemer, even when it seemed to the other predacons that he wans't aware of what was goin on, he had a few surprises up his sleeve, e talked to himself often.

14. Ghostbuster Man

Ghostbuster Man "Batman's my Cousin"

My Transformers Options:

Generation 1,2 Movie, and Headmasters: KICKS ASS! :D \

Beast Wars/Machines: KICKS ASS! :D

Robots In Disguise: The show was to dull, but I loved the
    toyline.

Armada: Samething with RID.

Energon: I can't wait! :D

15. Obi

Obi SEVEN. MONDAY.

...*pst*....go buy the DVDS... :p

16. Anarky

Anarky Team Conan

everything about g1 was tight:

Optimus, Ironhide, Jazz, Wheeljack, Ratchet, Sidesweep, Mirage, Sunstreaker, Hound, Blaster, Perceptor, the Dinobots, Omega Supreme..

then you had the Decepticons:

Megatron, Starscream, Soundwave, Rumble, Laserbeak, Ravage, Thundercracker, Skywarp, the Insecticons, the Constructicons/ DEVASTATOR, Shockwave, Reflector, Astrotrain, Blitzwing, Thrust, Dirge, Ramjet, Frenzy, Ratbat, Buzzsaw....

the characters had CHARACTER
    i've purchased all the box sets thus far and have enjoyed them
    to me, they've stood the test of time.
    of course by today's standards, it's not to par...but neither are the Flinstones, Scooby Doo, or half these imported animes...yet people still enjoy those.

Until they duplicate G1, it will always be he greatest TF series of them all.

i lost interest when they switched to new characters like Rodimus Prime and Galvatron and Starscream's ghost.

17. HelloKittyKat

HelloKittyKat Active Member

I love Transformers. I really wish they would continue telling stories in the main timeline (G1, BW, BM).

18. Captin "Hank" Murphy

Captin "Hank" Murphy Free Labotamies for Apes.

G1-loved it because even though the animation was kind of poor, it was just good old bot battling fun.(5 out of 5)

G2-the CG effects diddn't do much for the show (4 out of 5)

BW-Fun and more technical in-deaph (4 out of 5)

BM-Okay, till the end where Cybertron got reformated into tech-organic(I hated that)(2 out of 5)

RiD-Was too cheesy and stupid(still bought the toys), but I'm sure it wouldn't be like that so much if Saban didn't dubbed it. (1 out of 5)

Armada-Love the new bots, hate the kids, bits of bad animation and bad dubbing-like lines, but good in it's own way (3 out of 5)

19. Matthew Williams

Matthew Williams Owns A Homey The Clown Shirt

G1: It has good animation and great, great character design and while good, it just doesn't "click" with me. Some of the plots seem a little simplistic, and G. I. Joe seems more fun to watch. But it's a good series for its time.

G2: G1 with horrid CG effects.

Beast Wars: Not only the best Transformers series, but among my top 3 animated series of the 1990s (right after Batman and the Simpsons). Wonderfully written and animated and an utter joy to watch. The Beast Wars characters had personality, there was character development, there was humor, there was poignancy, there was even sadness and one of the most powerful deaths in animation. Even if you hate Transformers, SEE THIS SHOW. It is THAT good.

BM: Very average series that followed a masterpiece. The animation was great but there were too many surprises for the sake of surprises and some of the storylines really were... questionable.

RiD: Well... haven't seen much of this and Armada, but it was pretty mediocre.

Armada: BLERGH

20. LEGACY

LEGACY Member

Most of the maxmels had the same personilty as the auotbots. Rattrap remind me of huffer N brawn, cheetro remind of bumble bee N hotrod while ronex remind me of wheeljack/ratche/iron hide and deept charge had the same origin as O Mega surpreme. The pred seems more like groofballs then army soldier. Not that I didn`t like inferno or rampage. But around season3 I find it hard to take them serious. Tarantulas was one crazyass bot. Too bad he died.