1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Your Opinion on "X-Men Evolution" Characters

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by Nikkolas, Nov 8, 2010.

1. Nikkolas

Nikkolas Member

Essentially just a thread to say your piece about any X-Men Evolution character.

-Most Loved
    -Most Hated
    etc..

You can even list the pros and cons of the characters you love/hate as rarely everything is perfect.

I just really like to read people's views on subjects that interest me. Get a nice diversity of viewpoints ya know.

For instance,

Rogue
    I adored Evolution's viersion of Rogue. She was well-characterized and had some really nice episodes with development.

Pros:
    Great normal outfit and design.

Cons:
    Crappy X-Men costume IMO.

2. SKDarkDragon

SKDarkDragon Shorter-than-Average

I love this series so much. Before this series, I'd only seen the movie, which introduced me to the X-men. So most of the portrayals of the characters are the first I'd seen, and so I like most of them very much. Rogue was my favorite - I loved her goth-girl persona, and how she was much tougher than the movie had made her out to be, without the super strength or flying aspect. I also really liked Avalanche, since he started out pretty generic bad-guy, and then fleshed out into a more sympathetic and complicated character. And I loved how his feelings for Kitty would influence his actions, even as he was on the other side.

I'm wracking my brain trying to think of a character I really didn't like. I guess it'd have to be Spyke. I really didn't like any episode he featured prominently in (except the Season One "Spykecam") and found him to be generally annoying. His attitude stunk, and it seemed he was always in this teased, "Will he or won't he leave the team?" limbo ... until he really did leave the team. And when he left, I actually didn't even care that much. XD; We had Iceman to fill his spot, haha.

3. Nikkolas

Nikkolas Member

I also quite liked Lance. Though again the con issue comes up since his outfit looked awful.

I'm about to re-watch the entire series to try and jog my memory on what I think of the other characters. I notice a few people on here were bashing Tabitha (Boom Boom) and I always thought she was a favorite. Oh well. I remember liking her free-spiritedness.

4. SKDarkDragon

Haha yeah, his costume wasn't so hot.

And bashing of Boom Boom?? She was so much fun to watch! Loved all of her appearances, especially in Season 2.

5. GregX

GregX Active Member

My biggest problem with the series was how Magneto was characterized. Why was he against Apocalypse and not allying himself with Apocalypse? Apocalypse's goal in the series was to turn every human on the planet into mutants... something that would be straight up Magneto's alley.

But, instead, Magneto opposed Apocalypse and we never got a reason as to why.

6. Aaron

Aaron Active Member

I think it was because Apocalypse wanted to remake the world as he saw fit, and control all.
    And Magneto doesn't play second fiddle. He doesn't take orders, he gives them.
    While they may have had similar goals, their methods were totally different, and Magneto isn't about to be controlled and have his rights taken from him ever again.
    Furthermore, Apocalypse would destroy any who opposed him, or turn them into his pawns, like making Xavier a Horseman. And despite their rivalry, Magneto is still Charles' friend, and would not sit idly by as Apocalypse did what he did.

Hope that helped.

7. redlion

redlion Member

To be honest, I'm not a big fan of this show. One of the main reasons why, is the fact that I was 1st introduced to many of these characters in their original versions in the comics back in the late 70's. It's somewhat difficult to reconcile some of the changes that have been made concerning characters in the toons vs. the comics.

The 90's series was my favorite so far as it adapted some of the classic stories and characterisations from the Claremont/Byrne era with very few changes from the source (with the exception of Jubilee being the spunky newcomer kid on the team instead of Kitty Pryde, as only one of the examples).

I actually like W&TXM a little better than Evolution due to some of the jarring character changes of Evo. I will say this though, I'm really trying to give Evo a chance and see what all the fuss is about.I'm trying to watch the reruns on DXD and I've bought some of the 1st and 2nd season DVD's as well as the final season. Although, it does seem the series was really begining to improve in the latter eps and find it's stride as it's own animal with the intro of Apocalypse.....and then suddenly it ended, when it was just starting to get good.

Mod Note: Remember to stay on topic. This talkback is about the characters of X-Men: Evolution, not of any other series.

8. Trevor

Trevor Active Member

WIth Evo I didn't like how Rogue didn't have the Ms. Marvel package. My first exposure to the X-Men had been the 90's series and without her flying ability, Rogue just seemed to be a very weak and hollow version of her previous TV self, and seemed to be more based on the Rogue in the first X-Men movie, who I also found to be a very weak character. And most of the time I was wondering, in both the movie and Evo, just why Rogue was there? The only episode that I found to be a good episode for Rogue was the "all-girls" episode.

But one character that I didn't enjoy in Evo, and solely because of his voice, was Wolverine. Why anyone would cast Wolverine with a Texan accent (much less an Australian accent---but that's another discussion) is beyond me. Wolverine didn't sound like Cahal J. Dodds or Hugh Jackman's portrayal's of the character in the series. Even the few X-Men comics that I've read, I alway's hear Cathal J. Dodds as Wolverine's voice.

It was interesting seeing Cyclops and Jean being cast as the "unpoplar guy in school gets the popular girl" stereotype, but there was not much more than that. And the high school stuff didn't help them.

Suffice it to say, this is how I would rank the X-Men shows to date:

1. X-Men 90's series
    2. Wolverine and the X-Men
    3. Pryde Of The X-Men
    4. Astonishing X-Men: Gifted (on iTunes its listed as a TV show, and I've seen it show up on DVD in the "TV Shows on DVD" sections)
    5. X-Men Evolution

9. W.C.Reaf

W.C.Reaf Active Member

We only found out about Apocalypse's goals in the final well after Magneto had "died" so he couldn't have known about it.

10. AdamYJ

AdamYJ The Saturday Morning Kid

I loved X-Men: Evolution. It was a great take on the whole "teen mutant team" thing using more popular characters (since, lets face it, the New Mutants or Gen X are never going to get their own cartoon). I even liked the idea of the team going to high school, because it made them go out and do something in the normal world instead of keeping them cloistered in the mansion all the time.

I loved almost all the characters. Even Spyke. Sure, he was kind of cocky and hot-headed, but he usually seemed to be having fun and was low on the angst scale, which is unique among X-Men. My favorite was probably Nightcrawler, because he was funny. My least favorite? I know she didn't get a whole lot of screentime, but I've never really cared much for X-23. I don't really understand the point of a girl Wolverine.

11. Nikkolas

Nikkolas Member

There's also the fact that Rogue, under the control of one of Apoc's servants, attacked and stole the powers of Magneto and his Acolytes.

From that, I can assume Magneto considered Apoc an enemy.

Also why does Rogue not being a standard flying brick make her "weak"?
    As for why is she there... Because she rounds out the group dynamic? Her powers are very useful? Same reason the other characters are there.

12. suss2it

suss2it Active Member

My first exposure to Rogue was the in the first X-Men movie so I never even knew she had Ms. Marvel's powers, so that didn't bother me at all while watching X-Men: Evolution. Now that I think about it I think if she did have Ms. Marvel's powers on this show it wouldn't work because she'd be overpowered compared to the others and we wouldn't get nice team battles like the second one against Juggernaut where everyone contributed because she'd be able to do everything on her own.

For me the voice I hear is Steve Blum's now. Everytime I try to watch the 90s X-Men toon he seems to over act his lines a lot so I never really loved his performance. I also didn't hear the Texan accent on Wolverine in Evolution but that may be because my only exposure to Texans is from the media so their actual accents might be different than what I think it is. I did like that Wolverine wasn't the focal point on this show, and that he was more in the background. It made his solo episodes all the more special.

I don't think Scott was unpopular. He wasn't the star of the football team but he did seem pretty well known & liked, at before the mutants became known.

Not sure what this has to do with the characters of X-Men: Evolution?

13. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Yea I never heard this supposed "texan" accent in Wolverine's voice in Evolution either. Especially since he's played by Scott McNeil who has spent most of his life in Vancouver. Although he does wear a cowboy hat but I don't think that automatically makes you a Texan;)

14. Monte

Monte Active Member

I didn't much care for Evo's Nightcrawler; he seemed too normal and upbeat (we got plenty of kids like that). I mean we are talking about someone who grew up looking like a monster, someone who would not be accepted in regular society, he'd be raised in near seclusion with only a tight nit group accepting him... That's bound to have an effect on him. Frankly i like the other incarnations of night crawler as they were more serious and introverted. And i do like the idea of a religious nightcrawler considering he more resembles a demon

Though one problem i had with all the characters is really that too much time was spent on their high school years... It was nice at first, I frankly i would have much preferred them moving on from that

I prefer her with the Ms.Marvel package. If i recall the 90's x-men the high majority of her fights really just involved her strength and flight; the absorption usally only came up as an accident... all in all, it made her nothing more than muscle in a fight... Without those powers however, Rouge needed to improvise in every fight, constantly switching powers and finding new ways to fight; it made her fights a lot more interesting.

I also liked when she had to deal with conflicting memories and such
    Ya not hearing the texan accent... in retorspect i didn't enjoy the 90's voice, it was much to gruff. Like the voice had badass as its only setting. Any time he had to be more emotional it felt jarring and out of character; it was an ill fit at those times... the newer voices however are capable of being both a gruff badass but also being able to show some compassion without it feeling out of place

15. GregX

GregX Active Member

Nope, we found out his goal in the season three finale, when Beast was reciting Apocalypse's origin. Magneto knew at that point that Apocalypse was planning to turn everyone into mutants.

No where in the show did it say that Apocalypse wanted to rule the world, just that he wanted to bring about the evolution of mankind... a goal Magneto would have shared.

I checked the episodes today, and Magneto's characterization made no sense at this point. If anything, he would have allied himself with Apocalypse once he found out.

16. Aaron

Aaron Active Member

Response to Redlion and Trevor... and finally replying to the topic

They started in the 60s.

The 90s show was good. It's what I grew up on, as far as adaptations go.
    Though I remember renting "Pryde of the X-Men" like a billion times from the local video stores, when I was a kid too.
    But watching it now, i bought the whole series on DVD 'cause I'm a nerd, it's really corny. Lots of animation errors and some really badly written stuff. I appreciate that they ripped some stories straight out of the comics, but it doesn't really hold up to the test of time.

WaTX had some pretty jarring character changes too. They even said that was the whole point of the show.
    I got that show too. Saw it on it's original run on TV, and I'm finishing Disc 2 now.
    I enjoy some of the characterisations, like Magneto and Wolverine and Nightcrawler, but there is a lot of poorly handled stuff as well.

I don't think you've seen it all then.
    Season 1 and 2 came out in volumes (I think 8 total). Season 3 was released on DVD. Season 4 never was. They're all available for purchase on iTunes, or you can watch 'em all free on MARVELS YouTube channel.
    But they introduce Apocalypse in Season 3. The entire Season 4 revolved around the battle with him and his defeat.

They based this Rogue on her early life, before absorbing Ms. Marvel's powers. So, no super-strength/flight.
    Also, she proves to be the main plot point for most of Seasons 3 and 4 and has a vital role in stopping Apocalypse.

While I have to admit, I loved Cathal J Dodd as the voice of Wolverine, I can't think of a single voice actor I didn't like for him. I even liked Mark Hamill's portrayal of Wolverine.
    I liked Neil Ross' performance back in "Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends" and despite the voice director being a moron and giving him an Australian accent in the PotX pilot movie, I liked his performance there.
    And while Steven Blum seems to have become Wolverine's Kevin Conroy (for lack of a better comparison), I've tended to like all of the actors to do the role.
    This includes Scott McNeil, who I don't think sounds Texan at all.

See, now I loved the High School aspect. I thought it was great considering they were teens when they first started in the original comics.

AND NOW MY REPLY TO THE TOPIC

My favorites:
    Wolverine, Cyclops, Jean, Kitty, Beast, and Xavier.
    I thought they were all basically spot-on perfect representations.
    I loved the fact that Cyc, Jean and Kitty, were teens. I liked that we still didn't know anything about Wolverine (and his Orange costume was my favorite part of the entire show). And I thought Beast and Xavier were portrayed quite splendidly.
    Apocalypse. They did his origin and everything else about him so well. I was so pleased.

Least Favorites:
    Toad. DIdn't like the urban, street aspect they gave him. Though I did love all of his interactions with the ladies, so dorky and funny.
    Magneto, for the early part of the show. Everything about him reminded me of The Shredder.
    Nightcrawler. Let me start by saying I LOVE Brad Swaile. And he can do no wrong. I enjoyed his voice for young Kurt. But everything else about Kurt, being a flake, having the wristband to hide his look.. not a fan. It made sense to hide his look for the highschool scenes, but I dunno. For some reason I didn't like it.

So, yeah that's that.
    Did I mention I LOVED Wolverine's orange costume?!
    The only way this show would have been any better for me, is if they used the actual Tan costume. I loved the Orange costume, for the fact that it was a nice homage to the tan look. But the actual thing would have made my day (it's one of the main reasons I love 'Pryde of the X-Men' so much).

#16 Aaron, Nov 10, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2010
  17. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

I've become a big fan of the show over the past few years and the characters that really got on my nerves were the Brotherhood. I know things never went their way for long but I didn't feel like they ever got their true comeuppance. Mystique was someone whose motivations I never felt too clear on but I guess she was more tolerable to me because I always viewed her as a villain while the boys tended to be simple nuisances, even when placing lives at risk or making life hell for the X-Men.

18. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Wouldn't Apocalypse's forced evolution have ended up killing millions or even billions of people in the process since not everyone would have been compatible with it? I could've sworn that was the case. Perhaps that was just too far for him to go?

19. SKDarkDragon

I totally agree with this. I can't see Magneto working for someone else, no matter what goals they had in common. Magneto is a leader, not a follower.

20. W.C.Reaf

W.C.Reaf Active Member

Ah yes. I was getting confused with the reveal in final that the process would kill most of the people on the planet, my mistake.

Here's a theory: Magneto might have wanted to take Apocalypse out of the picture so he could evolve the world himself. Or maybe, if I remember rightly, since both Xavier and Mags knew of Apocalypse before hand and gave the impression that his name wasn't just for show he might have been afraid of what could happen if Apocalypse got out. So maybe he knew this guy could end the world and even if their goals were the same joining with him wasn't a risk worth taking.