1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Your opinion on....Coldplay

Discussion in 'The Musiquarium' started by Peter Paltridge, Oct 25, 2011.

1. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

I like them.

I can see why some people wouldn't -- they're kind of an acquired taste, and they're also one of the most overplayed bands of the last ten years. I can't count how many times I've heard "Clocks" -- on every radio station, on every supermarket PA system, on several TV shows, in several ad campaigns....

But every time I hear "Clocks" yet again, I have to pause to hear the whole thing. It's just that good.

Their new single is also nice. If you haven't heard it yet, do yourself a favor and go to another window while it plays the first time, because you don't want it associated in your head forever with....well, this crazy thing:

[video=youtube;1G4isv_Fylg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=1G4isv_Fylg[/video]

I'm sorry if admitting I like Coldplay makes you lose respect for me, but I am what I am, and for some reason I have a weakness for floaty, dreamlike music.

2. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

"You know how I know you're gay?"

[video=youtube;TwhhNgjxkp8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwhhNgjxkp8&feature=related[/video]

I don't mind their music, it's actually well-done music, but it's not a band that's really interesting or dynamic enough to get deeply into. They're just kind of background noise for bland American mall culture.

3. Nel_Annette

Nel_Annette Living it up.

Viva La Vida is a fantastic record. Better than what I had ever expected them to make. Their other stuff is pretty hit or miss for me though. Don't Panic is one of my favorite songs ever. Other faves from them would be "Brothers And Sisters" and "White Shadows".

Everything I've heard from Mylo Xyloto has sounded generic and bland, though. Like two steps backward. Someone told me that the singles are actually the weaker tracks on the album, so I'm still going to give it a spin and see.

4. Rynnec

Rynnec Active Member

They're OK I guess. I'd like their songs alot more if they were instrumentals though. Seriously, the instrumental to Viva la Vida just sounds beautiful, so much so that the vocals don't do it justice.

5. Lord Mawdryn

Lord Mawdryn Board Bad Boy

I like them, and I think they make well-crafted songs, but I haven't felt compelled to get their more recent albums though (I don't think any of the stuff from them were bad, just not enough for me to go get the albums). I totally loved A Rush of Blood To The Head, though.

6. King9

King9 Embraced One

Coldplay is a solid band. I got into them with Viva La Vida (my friends were already huge Coldplay fans) But since then I've grown to like their whole discography. Parachutes most maybe. Their sound has really evolved over time. I think I prefer the more stripped down sound of Parachutes, but the rest are still pretty great.

7. chalmers

chalmers Role Model

I used to not like them, but I've warmed up to them. Not quite to the point where I'd buy their music, but I won't change the station when they come on the radio.

As for not liking a band based solely on it's over-ratedness this last decade or so, try Radiohead.

8. Cassie Star

Cassie Star I have no gender.

I've always liked them...

though from what I've heard of the new album it's not really good. Which is too bad because Viva la Vida was fantastic.

9. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Well-Known Member

I am not a super familiar with them but I do love "Yellow" and "Viva la Vida". Seriously the latter is one of my top favorite songs, period. Clocks is alright too.

10. Bryangst

Bryangst JERK

When I first heard Paradise, I thought it was a new One Republic track. Haha,

11. AJ Skyterra

AJ Skyterra The Crystal Bending Gem of Science

They got some epic instrumentals, which is what got me into Clocks and Viva la Vida. I don't know a lot of their songs though, but as a fan of slow "elevator music" I have nothing bad to say.

12. Nel_Annette

Nel_Annette Living it up.

I WAS WRONG.

Mylo Xyloto is actually quite good as a whole album, rather than individual songs. Not as great as Viva La Vida, but still quite nice in its own right. I never really cared for less-than-a-minute transition tracks though, so I combined them to the songs they precede when I ripped it from CD to iTunes.

13. Manga4life

Manga4life DYNAMITE's PULP FIESTA BLOG!!!

I like a Coldplay song or two, but a lot of their stuff just kind of sounds the same to me and I honestly can't tell the difference between them and Five for Fighting. I wouldn't call myself a fan but I would say I dislike them or anything, they really appeal to the adult contemporary crowd, they just aren't my cup of tea is all and a lot of their stuff sounds too similar.

It could just be their radio stuff though, I've never heard anything aside from what they've put out there as singles.