1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Your opinion about Marvel on Nicktoons.

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by Gold Guy, Jan 26, 2009.

?

Was it a good idea to air some Marvel cartoons on Nicktoons?

Poll closed Feb 5, 2009.
  1. Yes.

44.4%
  2. No.

27.8%
  3. I don't care.

5.6%
  4. I didn't know about that.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Maybe. Let's see how it turns out.

22.2%
  1. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

As you all know, Marvel has decided to air some of its shows on Nicktoons, like Wolverine and the X-Men. In your opinion, was this a good idea?

2. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Sorry to double-post, but could someone mirror this poll into the Marvel threads?

3. Scarface 2.0

Scarface 2.0 Member

Well to be honest I really think Marvel should air on Nickelodeon.:shrug:

4. Cartoon1

Cartoon1 Member

Marvel will NEVER air on nickelodeon. Trust me.

And yes, I think it's a very good idea. I really enjoyed the X-men episodes, i'm excited for the new Iron man cartoon coming in april. :)

5. Scarface 2.0

Scarface 2.0 Member

I could of sworn Marvel aired last sunday on Nickelodeon.:shrug:

6. Antiyonder

Antiyonder Amalgam Universe Overlord
    Staff Member Moderator

I don't see why. I mean The X-Men are a big name franchise, and unlike Iron Man had mainstream popularity before the movies came out.

7. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

In my opinion, I think that was a good idea.

8. AdamYJ

AdamYJ The Saturday Morning Kid

Personally, I just wish it was airing on a channel that I had. :(

9. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Well, I heard that Wolverine&the X-Men air reruns on one of Nicktoons sister channels. It might be Nickelodian, but it could also be Noggin...

10. soundmonkey44

soundmonkey44 Melancholic Man.

I Like Marvel toons on Nicktoons, even though I don't get nicktoons network as long as Regular nick keeps showing Encores on Sunday I'm ok with it!:D

11. Nightwing

Nightwing WF Old Man

Being on the opposite end of the fan spectrum, I have to disagree completely. I haven't seen the Wolverine show episodes so far, so I therefore don't like the idea. Regular Nickelodeon or Cartoon Network would have been much more accessible. I hadn't been on the computer as often as your average surfer, so without being even a semi-casual viewer of Nicktoons Network or any other TV commercials I missed the premier. I'm setting the DVR now, though.

This is what Television broadcasting should avoid like the plague. It's very unfortunate to hear that.

12. Arsenal

Arsenal Magneto was right

I think I understand why Nickelodeon wanted the Marvel shows, but I still can't understand why they are airing episodes first on Nicktoons.

I suspect the Marvel shows are expected to fill the vacuum Avatar left when it finished its run. Wolverine and, soon, Iron Man are serial action adventures with a built-in cult following.

The company wants to have something that will appeal across the demographics, adult, kids, boys and girls. They caught lightning in a bottle with Avatar, a very un-Nick show at the time of its debut, and now they hope to do it again with Wolverine.

However, I'm not sure what the benefit of airing episodes on Nicktoons is. Are they trying to get more people to order Nicktoons? Are they trying to improve DVD sales by airing it on an ancillary channel?

I think the first explanation makes more sense than the second. (I can't think of too many people would buy a DVD of a series sight unseen.)

Like AdamYJ, I don't get Nicktoons. So I have to wait for encore showings on Nick or have a friend DVR the episodes. It's not a cataclysm, but it is annoying.

I'm sure the suits at Nick have a reason. I just wished I knew what it was.

13. Ioz

Ioz Master of Mer

No. Nicktoons is too minor of a network. It should just be on regular Nick.

14. Antiyonder

Antiyonder Amalgam Universe Overlord
    Staff Member Moderator

While Avatar certainly did okay for itself, I think they were hoping for higher ratings than the show performed. And while WATXM is in the same tone as Avatar, I think it would do better if for the fact that X-Men has been around for decades and was popular before the live action movies (Whereas Iron Man and The Fantastic Four were only known by the casual comic buyers).

15. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Good Morning!

Just to clear things up, Wolverine and the X-Men is airing on Nicktoons Network, not Noggin, although it would be funny if Wolvie were airing on Noggin, a channel aimed at preschoolers.

16. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

Nicktoons is not as readily available as Nick itself. In upstate NY, we have Nickelodeon/Nick @ Nite, TV Land, Noggin, & The N. No Nicktoons here, except for Wolverine & the X-Men being on Nick's On Demand space, where only the first episode and some sneak stuff are available at present.

Logically, and this is saying something, considering that the Viacom suits almost never do anything logically, any new Marvel shows under the Nick umbrella should be on Nick AND either Noggin or Nicktoons. They need to maximize viewer interest, especially with a brand name show.....

17. SuperMegaHyper

SuperMegaHyper ...I don't even know anymore.

I dunno, for some reason it just dosen't fit the rest of the thier shows, but considering they already tried Fantastic 4 on CN I can see where Marvel is coming from, but it dose have better fit than Disney.

18. AdamYJ

AdamYJ The Saturday Morning Kid

There is a solution I've discovered. They're putting full episodes up on the website of Nicktoons Network (I can't link directly to it, though).

I doubt they'll put all of them on there, but it's something at least.

#18 AdamYJ, Feb 3, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2009
  19. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

That's true and that's how I'm able to keep up with the airings since I don't get Nicktoons Network either. While it would have been cool to see Nick airing the series instead, I think that the fact that they are able to put up episodes on their website is a good move to make since not everyone gets Nicktoons Network. I'm hoping that they'll continue to put up the new episodes there not just for me but for also for other people who want to get into the series.

20. FlawedCoil82

FlawedCoil82 Member

I watched the first two episodes on Nickelodeon last weekend. Then after that they advertised that to continue watching it, you have to order Nicktoons (which we don't have) so I am not getting a new channel just for a cartoon that I know won't capture my attention even half as much as 90's X-Men. But I think it's pretty crappy that it's only going to air on a seperate station you have to pay extra for.
    Jack