1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Your nostalgia favorites

Discussion in 'Saturday Morning Forever!' started by Dr.Pepper, Jan 27, 2014.

1. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Well-Known Member

What are some movies/show you like only for the nostalgia?
    Rock-a-Doodle: I know that there are more holes in its plot than a slice of Swiss cheese but the absurdity of it puts a smile on my face. Definitely has the so bad its good factor going for it.

Happily Ever After: Once I get past the horrid animation, the songs were kind of catchy.

My Little Pony Tales: Very cliche slice of life show, but since this was probably my first favorite show it holds a special place in heart.

Pokemon (original Indigo League): I was a huge Pokemon fan at the time of this shows release so it has that going for me. Other than that it is way too cheesy. And honestly my interest level ends before the series does. I am only into the episodes that originally aired in syndication and the first dozen or so that premiered on Kids WB.

2. ABrown

ABrown Active Member

The original He-Man cartoon is one that I've watched pretty much only for the nostalgia. I purchased the "Best Of" set (Amazon.com: The Best of He-Man and the Masters of the Universe (10 Episode Collector's Edition): John Erwin, Alan Oppenheimer, Linda Gary, Lou Scheimer, Erika Scheimer, Jay Scheimer, George DiCenzo, Michael Bell: Movies & TV) back in 2005. I really enjoyed watching the ten episodes, but I should've stopped there. I made the mistake of purchasing all of the episodes on dvd, and I've never even made it through the end of the first season. It just wasn't that great of a show. It had really bad animation. You hear about shows that reuse the same footage over and over again, that's pretty much all that this show was. You're basically watching the exact same episode over and over again.

3. TenPoundHammer

TenPoundHammer Wanna be on Wheel of Fortune

Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog. I have vague memories of watching it with my cousin when it was first out, then rewatching it with my sister when Disney Channel reran it. It's totally cheesy in all the right ways.

4. PC!

PC! lolwut?

Honestly, I can't really think of any. Any show/movie I watched as a kid that I can still watch today has SOME sort of merit that makes it a decent show/movie in my eyes.

5. the_joker

the_joker Active Member

A few 80's action cartoons like Transformers or Thundercats. I enjoyed them a lot when I was a kid, and when I tried to watch them again recently, I can't stand them. They're cheesy, look too dated, and aren't as action-packed as I remembered. Also, the voice acting for those shows are rather subpar, at least by modern standards.

Road Rovers: I don't dislike this show, but it doesn't hold up as well as I remembered. There either doesn't seem to be much action, or the action was rather soft. And I don't find the show to be funny either.

Freakazoid: I know people like/love this show. I liked it when I was young too. Even though I understand the jokes and references I wouldn't have when I was younger, I either didn't find them funny or was indifferent to the jokes. And it wasn't as funny in other aspects as I remembered. Not sure why I feel this way...

Pokemon for similar reasons already listed. Except I can't watch the show at all.

6. Radical

Radical The Face of Evil & Epicness!!!!!

My favorite epic nostalgia shows/movies,

Looney Tunes - Always my top favorite in my childhood with the hilarious/wacky/zany/slapstick/over the top humor which Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, Porky Pig, Pepe le Pew, and The Roadrunner & Wile E. Coyote's shorts were the most awesome/funniest/enjoyable.

How The Grinch Stole Christmas - It was a fantastic animated Christmas movie which the Grinch was a magnificent villain/jerk protagonist who plots to steal Christmas from the Whos before turning good.The songs on the Grinch were pretty great/catchy.

The Super Mario Brothers Super Show/3/World - I'm a big Super Mario Brothers fan after enjoying the video games as much as the series was so epic/funny along with the funny jokes/dialogue while King Koopa(Bowser) and his minions were my favorite epic entertaining video game villains.Seeing Yoshi animated was great.

The Ren and Stimpy Show - It was awesome/wacky/crazy/over the top hilarious with Ren and Stimpy's funny crazy antics/adventures.Ren's jerky/villainous nature bullying Stimpy and doing horrible cruel things was enjoyable.Powdered Toastman and his episodes were great/funny as well.

The Itsy Bitsy Spider - A great funny short turned funny cartoon partnered with Problem Child on the USA Cartoon Express with pretty funny episodes.Itsy was a great funny spider character voiced by Frank Welker(he does it good with the annoying squeaky voices).A nice touch to see a spider character as a hero and not a villain like most spiders.Both Adrianne, The Exterminator, and The Black Widow were great entertaining villains whose clashing with Itsy was so funny.

Bonkers - A great awesome hilarious classic Disney cartoon with many cool/funny moments, Bonkers and his chemistries/partnerships with Lucky/Miranda were funny/awesome and Lucky's heart of gold from his grouchy nature was always great.Jim Cummings was epic as both Bonkers/Lucky.Chief Leonard Kanifky was great/hilarious along with messing up Lucky's last name alot, hahahahaha.The classic Disney characters' appearances was epic.Both Grumbles Grizzly, The Collector, Wacky Weasel, Scatter Squirrel, The Big Bad Wolf, Ma Parker, Toon Bomb, Mr. Big, Mikey Muffin(he's so creepy!!!!!), The Three Little Pigs, Al Vermin, Lilith DuPrave, Timmy Wright, Flaps the Elephant, and The Ninja Kittens were my favorite awesome funny toon/human villains, but I've always disliked that obnoxious scumbag/piece of trash Sergeant Francis Grating whose comeuppances were satisfying to see.The opening theme song was awesome/funny/catchy.

Rotten Ralph - A great enjoyable stop-motion animated film/series which Rotten Ralph was a great funny nasty cat protagonist with a heart of gold which his relationships with Sarah were pretty sweet.

Flying Rhino Junior High - A great funny "kids in school" cartoon from CBS Kidshow.It was pretty entertaining with great storylines, goofy/silly character designs, and the reality warping/fantasies coming to life in Flying Rhino Junior High.The Phantom(Earl P. Sidebottom) & Raticus were great entertaining underrated villains.

Space Goofs - An awesome funny/wacky short-lived Foxkids cartoon.The five aliens Etno, Gorgious, Candy, Stereo, and Bud's chemistry was hilarious/amazing and when they transform into humans/animals to get rid of the unexpected visitors/villains invading their rented house was pretty funny/great.

Pokémon: The Indigo League/Orange Island Adventures - I've enjoyed it which made Pokemon my top favorite anime after seeing the sneak peak video of it which was great/enjoyable/funny on Ash/Misty/Brock's journies and their moments which Ash's early Pokemon/Gym/League battles were pretty cool/great.The early Jessica(Jessie), James, and Meowth were pretty funny/goofy along with their Pikachu/Pokémon catching plans.

Flint the Time Detective - The show was awesome/funny/enjoyable which Flint(a funny Kid Goku wannabe, cool), Rocky, Sarah, Tony, Dr. Bernard Goodman, Jillian, Pterry, Getalong, and Merlock/Bindi were great likable characters/heroes.Flint, Rocky, Tony, Sarah, Pterry, Getalong, and Merlock/Bindi's time-traveling adventures saving the cute lovable time-shifters(similar to the Pokemon & Digimon) was great.Dark Lord, Petra Fina, Dyno & Mite, and The Great Four: Super Ninja, The Uglinator, Nascal, and Ominito were awesome entertaining villains as much as Petra Fina/Dyno & Mite were the series' Jessie/James/Meowth, cool.Nice that it had all the legendary people in it.Barbera "Rita Repulsa" Goodson was marvelous as Petra Fina.The opening theme song was pretty sweet/catchy.I so miss the show.

Tenchi Muyo!/Ryo-Ohki/Universe/In Tokyo - I'm a big fan of Tenchi Muyo! as much as it had great action/comedy/romance/outer space adventures.Tenchi, the cute alien girls Ayeka, Sasami, Ryoko, Mihoshi, Kiyone, and Washu, and the cute mascot Ryo-Ohki were awesome/likable.Ayeka/Ryoko's rivalries were so funny and Ryoko/Nagi's feud/clashing was awesome.The villains were awesome/hardcore with Kagato, Tokimi, Seiryo, Dr. Clay, Z, Nagi, and Yugi being my top favorites.

Sakura Wars - It was pretty great with sweet intense action/comedy/a cool plot and storyline which Sakura, Ichiro, Maria, Sumire, Iris, Kohran, Kanna, Orihime, and Reni were awesome likable characters and fighting evil demons to save the world was sweet.The Sumire/Kanna rivalries were so funny after Ayeka/Ryoko's.The mech designs look cool as well.

Medabots - It was an awesome enjoyable/comedic Pokemon-like anime with great action, cool goofy character designs, comedy, and a sweet plot/storyline.Ikki/Metabee along with their clashings/chemistries/great teamwork(so like Ash/Charizard and Yuma/Astral's, hehehe) in their crazy adventures fighting good/evil medafighters and competing in the World Robattle Tournament were great/entertaining.The Medabots and their designs were awesome.Henry(The Phantom Renegade/Space Medafighter X) was such an awesome character throughout the show.Both Dr. Meta-evil, The Rubberrobo Gang: Seaslug,Squidguts,Gillgirl,and Shrimplips(the next Team Rocket and most bizarre, hehehe), Koji(the Vegeta/Gary Oak/Seto Kaiba/Hiei/Sasuke/Uryu of the series with an Android #17 look, sweet), The Screws: Samantha,Spyke,and Sloan, Victor, and Patra were great awesome fun villains/antagonists, but both Koji, The Screws: Samantha,Spyke,and Sloan, Victor, and Patra's anti-hero moments were great.I so miss the show.

#6 Radical, Jan 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2014
  7. SaneMan

SaneMan Well-Known Member

I guess in my case it would be The Real Ghost Busters (at least the early seasons, before they added Slimer to the title)

it's probably the only 80s show I can re-watch, and enjoy it for other reasons than being so bad it's good

8. King_of_doom

King_of_doom kiva fan

For a 2nd i thought i was the only old guy who would mention RGB, nice to know you also grew with that cartoon SaneMan :).

Would mention it along with other Nostalgia shows:

The Real Ghostbusters:

Still as today i enjoy watching this show especially the first seasons where you realize how dark some episodes where and how they got away with it. The writing was done well where it wasn't tone down so kids can get it and that everyone can enjoy it till ABC ruin it with their changes like having Slimer have more screen time which was a boneheaded move since nobody care much for Slimer at that time and having Janine change with the silly excuses (the pointy glasses for example) the only thing i would give credit to them is introducing Kath Soucie(voicing Janine) even tho i like the original voice actress, was nice hearing Kath Soucie for the fist time. I still enjoy the show but as previous mention with Slimer the show was getting annoying with his appearance and how little time they gave the RGB but still better of most 80's shows.

Ducktales:

Another show that i enjoy watching as today. Was nice watching Scrooge and the nephews having adventures along with facing enemies like Glomgold, Magica and the Beagle Boys. I like the first seasons yet i like the Gizmo Duck episodes tho would have liked they shown him more along with Fenton.

Sonic SatAM:
    Always enjoy it when i was a kid, i have watch it again on Netflix and still like it. I like how dark the show look, especially Robotnik where they did a good job making him as menacing then making him the silly mad scientist from the games that you can't take seriously. Too bad we didn't get another season since it would been cool if they had shown other characters like Metal Sonic, Knuckles and how Snively takes over but overall still enjoyable show.

Swat Kats:
    Bring back memories with this one. Aside of liking the main characters i like the villains on this show, especially when some of them shown their origin like Metallikats where they escape from prison only to end up dead till someone found them and rebuild them as robots which was very creepy when i saw them as a kid along with Dr. Viper. What i also like about this show was the background music and the 2nd intro of the show.

Mighty Max

This is the Ben 10 and The Secret Saturdays of the 90's, i remember watching this on sunday mornings and always wake up to watch the show. Just like Swat Kats the villains where weird and creepy that always enjoy watching, especially when Max was going to different places either from the world or other dimension facing different types of evil.

9. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

None. I'm not a nostalgic person, so there's nothing that I watch purely out of nostalgia. I just like what I like; I don't care how old or new it is. That's how I've always been.

#9 Silverstar, Jan 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2014
  10. ABrown

ABrown Active Member

These shows, and I've noticed at least a couple of people mentioned the very early Pokemon episodes, I think were pretty decent cartoons. My step son has watched The Super Mario Brothers Super Show as well as some of the first season Pokemon episodes as late as 2008.

11. I.R. Shokew

I.R. Shokew DISGRACED and Rooting ONLY for Underdogs

I don't revisit a lot of old shows I watched as a kid, unless I like them enough to collect them, that is - even then, I'm still watching re-runs of current stuff... Or just watching stuff on the internet or typing stuff in places like here.

Then again, that's all because I don't like living in the past, let alone revisiting it, unless it's to see today's cartoons maintain and show quality equal to or more than that of cartoons I may have liked in the past, as it is.

12. Dub C

Dub C Just a animation lovin' dude

I won't say it's ONLY out of nostalgia, but rather older shows I have no qualms revisiting:

Sonic SatAM - Even though I can see all of it's flaws and can pick apart this show these days, I still very much enjoy rewatching this series. Just a unique take on a gaming series at the time. Though it is far outdated to every bring it back because it WAS so different the SEGA games. If it were me, I'd give it the Brotherhood treatment. (Full Metal Alchemist) and rebuild the setting to reflect the Games akin to the Archie Comics

Chip N Dale's Rescue Rangers - Just a fun series that still holds up pretty well compared to other cartoons of that era. The level of "camp" is nowhere near the point where I cringe or question why I ever liked the show. Plus it's nice to just have a show where it's just about enjoying some light-hearted adventures, a sort of fun that just, to me, feels like is missing from the current crop of animated shows.

SWATKats - This is one of those shows I'll stop to watch on Boomerang if and when it airs. It amazes me that a show with such a simple concept as 'masked vigilante cats that fight crime in a jet' could turn out so entertaining. Again, it not a 'deep' or 'emotional' show or anything, but it's just a fun watch.

13. ToonReel

ToonReel Active Member

Seconded.I can nitpick it to death and passionately debunk those that claim it should have been used over the games' concepts, but I liked the concept and characters and wanted more to be done with it.

I feel the same way about The Dreamstone, I'm arguably one of the show's most vocal critics due to it's crippling flaws, but largely because of the charming surreal concept and potential it had and the fact it was one of the first shows I tuned into obsessively as little kid. I still can watch it with glee due to the brilliant Urpney humor. Some of the final episodes in particular (which actually fixed a lot of it's problems) are a gem and leave me wishing a fifth season had been made. There was still a lot more this show could behold. Naturally I'm also excited about the Facebook hyped release of the series coming this year.

TaleSpin is also one of my favorite Disney shows. It's corny beyond belief, but it usually only adds to it's charm, and there's a surprising amount of complexity and sentiment to the cast. I also have a fondness for the unique take on The Jungle Book characters.

14. Alonso Torrejon

Alonso Torrejon Active Member

The Disney Afternoon: The best Disney toons in that block were Darkwing Duck, Goof Troop, and Bonkers. These cartoons were what lead to the once acclaimed channel Toon Disney.

Pocahontas: One of Disney's best animated films of the '90s. I loved hearing Colors of the Wind.

Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog: I will not lie. This is without a doubt, my favorite Sonic cartoon next to Sonic X.

Dexter's Laboratory: My first favorite CN show. Christine Cavanaugh did a good job voicing Dexter.

The What-A-Cartoon! Show/The Cartoon Cartoon Show: I loved it! My favorite WAC/WPT shorts have always been Shake and Flick, Pfish and Chip, and Swamp and Tad.

Beetlejuice: I really loved watching that show on Nickelodeon (back when it was great). This year is the show's 25th Anniversary.