Your least favorite Classic CN stuff

Discussion in 'The Cartoon Network/Boomerang Cartoon Forum' started by Alonso Torrejon, Apr 30, 2014.

1. Alonso Torrejon

Alonso Torrejon Member

To be honest, while I liked Cartoon Network when it was awesome, there have been some things I found so annoying.

1. Coming up next bumpers in the Powerhouse era showing only one title even though that show is one hour.

2. Bad Shorties such as the annoying "Jabberjaw" music video and Quick Draw McGraw's City E-Scape

3. The Tom and Jerry promo. Man, I hated watching the characters get scared when Tom and Jerry passed by.

[video=youtube;jZ54UWVL5SE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZ54UWVL5SE[/video]

Name one or more things you didn't like about Classic CN. Stay on topic. Modern stuff does not count!

2. SaneMan

SaneMan Active Member

I generally did not like the spamming of Hanna Barbera cartoons

3. RandomMe

RandomMe Stave it off

My least favorite classic CN stuff:
    -When a show premiered, they aired the episodes in order, but after a while, the episodes aired out of order
    -The CN bumper with the Time Squad becoming Egyptians, dancing to an electronic rendition of "Walk Like an Egyptian" and the CN logo's letters turning into a weird mix of hieroglyphics and Wingdings, that bumper scared me when I was 5
    -When CN handed over to TCM at 20:00/8pm nightly, that annoyed me a lot because I wanted to watch CN at night...
    -Until April 1st, 2003, CN HQ closed at 21:00, so I hated when they moved the closing time to 20:00

4. Silverstar

Silverstar Game On!

Hm. I liked that one. Eh, to each his own.

Anyways, my pic for least favorite old CN spot goes to this:

[video=youtube;8r8CBl6dwl4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r8CBl6dwl4[/video]

I've never been a fan of the whole "Zan's power is useless" trope. Granted, his ability isn't as super-easy to write for as, say, super-strength, but it's far from being useless. It just required more creativity in order to properly utilize it. I'm a firm believer that there are no bad characters, only bad writing.

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2014
  5. Checkerboard

Checkerboard THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS

We're talking about the 90's Cartoon Network, right?

As all of you know, I loved CN back then. However, even I found a few things a bit annoying.

I didn't like Toonapalooza.

I didn't like 70's Super Explosion.

I didn't like Big Wednesday.

I didn't like the fact that Pirates of Dark Water was left without a conclusion.

I didn't like the fact SWAT Kats got cancelled after only two seasons, when they were already working on a third.

6. Getouttamylab!

Getouttamylab! Truth-seekers wanted

I didn't really care for Cow and Chicken back when it originally aired. That's really all I can say because I mostly watched Nickelodeon and Disney Channel back during CN's "Classic" Era.

7. Silverstar

Silverstar Game On!

Both of those shows were already canceled by the time they came to Cartoon Network. Neither of those things can be counted as a strike against CN.

8. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Nerd Life

To be fair, The 70s Super Explosion might have stood out better if Cartoon Network at that time hadn't been showing reruns of shows from the 1970s regularly. CN's schedule at the time was 90% reruns, so the 70s Super Explosion block offered too little contrast to the channel's daily lineup.

I didn't like the "Yes!" bumps. They were so random and annoying.

[video=youtube;3lScGpir5jo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lScGpir5jo[/video]

9. Silverstar

Silverstar Game On!

Yeah, that was the same problem I had with Boomerang (the 4-hour CN programming block which preceded the channel, that is). The block never really stood out since most of the shows that ran on it were already running in regular rotation on CN at the time. A retro block can't really stand out when the entire channel is mostly retro.

10. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Active Member

When you say "classic" do you mean the Checkerboard or Powerhouse eras? Well one thing I remember finding annoying is during the Powerhouse era, they rarely played the Kids Next Door bumpers when going to/coming back from a commercial break. Granted KND wasn't on much outside of CCF/Fridays back in those days, but still they had the bumpers, why not use them?

11. Jazz

Jazz Member

Back around 2003 I think, CN would play entire marathons of Scooby Doo, playing episodes from ALL of the series that they could, now I know Scooby Doo has always been played on the channel and the tradition continues in small doses to this day...but there was a time when they'd just go for overkill.

12. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator Staff Member

I never really liked those "Aquaman Dance Party" bumpers (I think they aired both on Cartoon Network as well as Adult Swim), since they kind of helped make people think he's a pretty useless character. Also wasn't a fan of pretty much any Scrappy-Doo promo CN did.

13. Pac-Attack

Pac-Attack Me every Thursday

This wasn't really a "classic era" but I didn't like the "Fall" bumpers, they were really out of place for something like CN, it looked like something on TeenNick or Boomerang LA or something.

14. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Active Member

I'm with you there.

But if you want to talk about improper utilization, how about the fact Jayna had to go solo only once (NBA All-Star Jam 2003, paired with Jason Kidd), and, oh, did they blow it by not using her more often, when her bro was getting more shine time (i.e. a guest shot on Harvey Birdman).

15. Silverstar

Silverstar Game On!

:^: I also remember a spot featuring some of CN's superheroes at a movie theater, and one of them was Zan without his sis.

I never got the point of using the twins separately anyway, at least not when might is called for; it's not like either can accomplish much alone, since they have to touch in order to activate their powers.

16. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Active Member

There were two of those ads with Zan, Wonder Woman, Birdman, et al, the 2nd being on a plane, I believe. I didn't get the point, either, but IMPO, it was just a case of CN's writers being stupid. Which is normal, it seems.

17. Master Toon

Master Toon New Member

Honestly, nothing from the classic CN annoyed me. Nowadays I can't stand those old Looney Tunes/MGM/Merry Melodies cartoons but back then I didn't mind them. Nope, there isn't anything I didn't like from CN back in the day.

18. mimitchi33

mimitchi33 Who's your friend who likes to play?

I really loved Powerpuff Girls.

19. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Nerd Life

This thread is meant for discussing "Your least favorite Classic CN Stuff".