1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Your Knowledge of Marvel: How much is from comics? How much is from Animation?

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by Choppasmith, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Choppasmith

Choppasmith Member

I was just thinking how despite feeling like I know quite about Marvel and its characters there always seems to be a character that pops up that stumps me, while seeing someone here explain it, making it look easy as pie and common knowledge.

It just made me wonder, how the "knowledge ratio" stacks up around here. I read mostly Marvel here and there as a kid via my Grandfather's trip to the Auction (although, I've recently gotten into classic Marvel comics I've found at my local swap meet) My Grandfather also happened to get Marvel trading cards at the auction. I was able to "read up" on characters this way.

But all in all, I'd say my knowledge and first time viewing of Marvel characters still comes from Animation. I'd say my MU knowledge is about 65% Animation, 20% Comics, and 15% Trading Cards.

How would you say you guys stack up?

EDIT: Funny enough, I'd say my DC Knowledge was 99% Animation 1% Comics. I don't know what it was but my Grandfather never really got DC Comics in his Auction runs. I just remember reading a few Teen Titans issues and being familiar with the characters when the cartoon was announced.

2. Medinnus

Medinnus Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm not sure I could codify, but its probably 99% comics and 1% animation.

3. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

It goes both ways for me. I've read hundreds of comics, and watched pretty much all of the Marvel animated series. Sometimes, I'll be reading a comic where there is a character that I don't recognize, and later in an animated show I'll see him/her again and say, "Ah". And vice versa.

4. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

If I were to take a stab at it, I'd say my superhero knowledge is about 70% TV and movies, 29% internet and 1% comics. I've been away from comics for so long that it's hard for me to pick up an issue and follow along, though I do receive the occasional graphic novel as a gift.

5. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

I'm really not sure myself. I haven't really read much of the modern comics. I read stuff here and there like Hulk: Nightmaremica and Captain America The Truth, but I stop reading issues back in the 90's.

6. cartoonscartoons

cartoonscartoons I cant help it, if I'm lucky

My knowledge is definitely 100% comics. I cannot stand watching superhero cartoons for some reason - probably because they change so much.

7. satam55

satam55 Active Member

I've mentioned several times on this board, i don't really read comics & I don't know anybody who did when I was in High School or Middle School. The only Marvel or DC comics I've read are Trade PaperBack books of Spider-Man comics from the 60's & 70's, and some early Ultimate Spider-Man volume books.

Most of my knowledge of Marvel & DC are from:

1. 1990's & 2000's/2010's Marvel & DC Animated TV Shows & Direct to DVD/Blu-ray Animated films

2. Regular Wikipedia, http://marvel.wikia.com & http://dc.wikia.com

8. TheMadSlasher

TheMadSlasher Member

I don't read the comics. My own 'headcanon' is assembled from things I like in the various cartoons and films and video games. If I see comic material that benefits my headcanon, I integrate it. Otherwise I ignore it.

Marvel write for the sensibilities of a general audience (or what they think that general audience's sensibilities are). They don't really write for my sensibilities, so I repurpose their work and rearrange it to my sensibilities.

9. tenderheartbear

tenderheartbear Active Member

Pretty much all of my knowledge is from cartoons and movies.

In my nearly 40 years, I've probably only read about 10 comics, but have been watching cartoons from the 80's onwards (starting pretty much with Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends). Since virtually every Marvel animated title is available in the UK on DVD I've been catching up with all of them (including those I'd never seen first time around) over the last couple of years. SM&HAF, Spider-Woman, the 80's The Incredible Hulk and more recently W&TXM being firm favourites. I do enjoy The Super Hero Squad Show and The Avengers: EMH of the really modern stuff. Didn't really get in to The Spectacular Spider-Man and haven't seen the new one, Ultimate Spider-Man is it?

I don't really care what gets changed from the comicbook storylines as I haven't read them. I just enjoy them (or not) for what they are, not what they could have been.

10. Kumori MC

Kumori MC Member

I've read my fair share of comics over the years, but my knowledge stems more from animation, movies, outside sources, etc.

For instance, my Spider-man knowledge comes mostly from comics, but my X-men knowledge is about 87% television and movies.

My Deadpool knowledge is mostly comics, considering he's not that exposed in the outside media save for video games.

Regarding Ghost Rider, Daredevil and about a million other heroes, my knowledge is limited due to lack of interest.

Not to mention that when I say "I read comics," I don't limit myself to American comics. There are FrancoBelgian comics, manga, Italian comics, Serbian (well, Balkan region) comics, Korean manhwa, Chinese manhua, Spanish comics, etc. So, while I like large fictional universes such as Marvel, DC, Image, Dark Horse, Top Cow, etc, I can't fully devote myself to them due to their size and extensive history, filled with retcons and abnormally large storylines.

Also, lack of money.

11. bigdaddy313

bigdaddy313 Well-Known Member

I was introduced to marvel and DC through the cartoons from the 90's, I love to draw so I became very interested in the comics and then I never went back.

I read from time to time like in the bus, air planes or a road trip, that's when I read and I catch up and after so long years my knowledge is mostly from comics and I put the cartoons as different from the source materials of entertainment.

12. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Through the cartoons mostly, I don't read a lot of superhero comics. When I want to know more about a character I just look it up on Wikipedia.