1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Your favorite live band???

Discussion in 'The Musiquarium' started by Defector, Jan 5, 2003.

1. Defector

Defector mein Augengl├╝hen

What is your favorite live band? What band puts on the best stage show?

My Pick:
    Rammstein of course :) Yeah they are my fav since they are dramatic. Its not a live show, It is a live experience. Plus they light themsleves on fire, and light their microphones, drums, and stage on fire.(not the whole stage but part of it has fire on it) they also do some things a bit inappropriate, i could get in trouble. :p
    here is a pic of lead singer, Till

[​IMG]
    second best live band:
    Pink Floyd

2. The Landstander

The Landstander Thanks ants. Thants.

call me a hippie if you must, but i must say phish.

or moe..

3. Floydian Slip

Floydian Slip ASTRONOMY DOMINE

#1 cky
    #2 lagwagon

4. Galaxia

Galaxia My Favorite Ed

Dave Matthews Band - they play some great live shows :)

5. GoufCustom

GoufCustom Mr. Pink

TOOL!

The best damn concert I've ever been to. What an auditory and sensory experience. It was truly spiritual and cathartic.

6. electricsheep

electricsheep ...the man without fear...

out of pure entertainment and showmanship, my pick would be Kiss...

out of just being great, I'd say MegadetH...

7. Mynd Hed

Mynd Hed Holy blue on a popo!

Well, first of all, let it be known that I never had the chance to go to a Pink Floyd concert (alas, I was born in the wrong decade) so, although they are my favorite band in almost every respect, I do not feel qualified to comment on their live act.

That being said, I'd have to say that Incubus is my favorite live band. First, the crowd at their concerts tends to be a really cool, laid-back group. All ages are well represented, and both genders. The teenyboppers do get a little annoying, but oh well.
    Next, the mix of songs they play is generally really good. They mix it up really well between old and new, hard and soft. They'll play some of their older thrash-rock stuff from S.C.I.E.N.C.E. to keep the mosh pit crowd happy, as well as some of their newer, softer, gentler stuff for the adolescent girl in all of us. (-:
    Another thing I really like is how they'll mess with the audience's minds. For example, they'll play the intro to one song, then switch it up and go into a different song instead. Fun stuff like that. They'll also change up their lyrics in little ways sometimes. For example, when I went to see them a couple months ago, in the song "Are You In?" instead of singing, "It's so much easier / When sea-foam green is in fashion" they sang, "It's so much easier / When Mr. T is my best friend."
    The band themselves (grammar police, arrest me now) are really cool and laid-back, they'll talk to the audience and make little jokes between songs. For example, in one concert when Brandon sang the line, "Sooner than later they'll be throwing quarters at you on stage," a bunch of people in the front row threw quarters at him. After the song ended, he picked one up and said, "Damn, I need to write a song about throwing hundred-dollar bills on stage... you clever !@#$s you." When I saw them in Phoenix shortly after 9/11, he said, "Wow, look at all these people out here. I have so much I want to tell you guys." I braced myself for another crappy generic speech about 9/11 and what a tragedy it is and all that stuff, but instead he said, "Yeah, I want to tell you guys so much, but... I forgot. Yeah, I forgot what I was going to say. Let's just play our next song."
    Also, a word must be said about whomever does the lighting effects at Incubus concerts. Major kudos. At the last show I went to, they played a bunch of wacky film footage, like a sort of mini-music-video, in a big screen behind the band. They'll also run big colored spotlights over the crowd... good stuff overall.

A close runner-up definitely has to be Cypress Hill. Cypress Hill's studio work is good, but their live show is just AMAZING. I was able to see them a little under a year ago, and it was great. I was in the stadium seating in the back, looking down at the crowd up front. The second song they played (they opened with "We Ain't Going Out Like That") was "I Wanna Get High." As soon as the song began, I could see little puffs of smoke coming up at random points in the crowd. By the time it ended, all I could see of the crowd was heads and arms coming out of an enormous cloud of smoke. (-: The rest of the show was fantastic.

8. HelloKittyKat

HelloKittyKat Active Member

9. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Amazing!
    Administrator

I saw Barenaked Ladies in a club in Charleston, SC right before they blew up (early May 1997, I believe), and that was a pretty amazing show. I'm not really interested in seeing bands play in arenas, amphitheaters, or other large venues, so I haven't had a chance to see them since. My interest in the band has also faded considerably since then, so....yeah.

I also thought the Hippos put on a great show, but I've only been able to catch them twice, and both times were as openers rather than headliners. Though his shows as spontaneous as other bands, I'd recommend catching "Weird Al" live if you have the chance.

10. FavreFactor

FavreFactor University Of Miami Hurricanes

I like the Bealtes!!!!!!!!! :D

11. James

James Administrator
    Staff Member Moderator

Faith No More. Fantastic live sets which have been copied by nu-metal ever since. In the middle of the long hair poddle rock, Patto was there in bemudas, a cap, eyebrow ring (which wasn't done in the early nineties) screaming/operatically sing into a portable mic while the band mixed and churned out their tunes with other songs. Sometimes, the bizzare, with M-People, New Kids On The Block and Prince featuring in cameo covers. Energetic, well timed, refreshing, scary (Patton did have a tendancy to relieve himself in people's shoes... ew) and simply... out there...!

12. Zero Signal

Zero Signal Caught Somewhere In Time

I guess in terms of cool stage stuff, I'd say KISS, Iron Maiden, and Rob Zombie were the best I've seen.

If we're talking about just best by intensity, then it's between Megadeth, Slayer, Fear Factory and Pantera. Just brutal shows.

And I would have gladly given up an arm to be able to see Faith No More live.....

13. electricsheep

electricsheep ...the man without fear...

you must be pretty old to have seen the beatles live...

that or you have trouble with reading comprehension...

14. Shnay

Shnay Ne'er-Do-Well

Radiohead puts on a really great show. They put a lot of passion and intensity into it. Plus, it's very interesting to see the more experimental songs performed live.