1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Your favorite Beatles song or album?

Discussion in 'The Musiquarium' started by Toon Master, Feb 6, 2014.

1. Toon Master

Toon Master Active Member

On February 9th 1964 the Beatles appeared on the Ed Sullivan show for the 1st time and changed the music world (and...well the world in general) forever. It's 50 years later and two are gone now, but there's no doubt the lasting impact their music will forever have on us even when all 4 have passed. So with that major anniversary coming up and with the special CBS will be airing on Sunday night I guess it only seems right to make this thread.

So I ask everyone this question. What's you favorite Beatles song or album and why?

2. Ed Liu

Ed Liu That's 'Cause I ATE IT!!!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Boy, that's a question. Akin to "Which of your kids is your favorite?" I think...

Right off the top of my head, I think my favorite album is still going to be Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, just because it's such an innovative unified creation and, to my mind, was the first time that had been done successfully by a rock band. I'd even argue that its full potential as a unified work wasn't fully realized until the era of the CD, because that let you listen to the whole thing without a disc flip and in crystal-clear audio definition. Beat the heck out of a disc flip or listening to tapes (and I'm sure I'm dating myself horribly by saying so...). And, to this day, the music is still tremendous.

Favorite song? Yikes. I think it'd be easier to point to the few that are out of the running ("Revolution Nr. 9" and "Blue Jay Way" being the first ones that jump to mind). I think even to limit it to a top 10, I'd have to run through their albums, pick a max of 2 or 3 from each album, and then maybe start flipping coins or throwing dice to eliminate some of them.

3. defunctzombie

defunctzombie 1992 not 2002
    Staff Member Moderator

Hmm. I'll go with the Sgt. Pepper album, since I like A Day in the Life and With a Little Help from my Friends the best. I like when Ringo sings.

4. Harmonie

Harmonie Foreverrrrr!

I'm going to have to agree with everybody else on my favorite album: Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.

I've had that one decided for quite some time, though. Favorite song is a bit harder to answer! The first one that comes to mind is Got To Get You Into My Life. The reason being that it's a bit of a precursor to the Brass Rock genre (although, obviously lacking the jazz/progressive side that the genre did), which is my favorite popular music genre altogether (wish it still existed. :()

There are two others that I have to mention... She's Leaving Home, a very fine example of orchestral/Baroque pop, and Love You To, my favorite of the sitar/Indian-inspired songs.

5. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Well-Known Member

I don't know what my favorite albulm is, but definately my favorite song is Penny Lane. That is a song I can listen to 100 times in a row and never get bored. I think (in no particular order) Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da, Paperback Writer, Yellow Submarine, Eleanor Rigby, Maxwell's Silver Hammer, Octopus's Garden, Ticket to Ride, and Lady Madonna runner ups.

#5 Dr.Pepper, Feb 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2014
  6. BartWinkle

BartWinkle Active Member

Can't think of any favorite albums off the top of my head, but I seem to like a lot of the pre-Sgt. Pepper stuff. Particularly Devil In Her Heart, Another Girl, Norwegian Wood, and one post-'67 track, I Am The Walrus.

7. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

This is a big question but the White Album is my favorite. Followed by Abbey Road.

Song is probably "You Never Give Me Your Money"

8. Nobodyman

Nobodyman Well-Known Member

Yeah, Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band is the best, but Rubber Soul runs a close second for me.

Fittingly enough, my two favorite songs are "With a Little Help from My Friends" and "In My Life".

9. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I've actually never listened to any of their albums and am mostly familiar only with their hits. Aside from obvious picks like "Hard Day's Night" and "She Loves You" (I like "Paperback Writer," too), I think I was always most drawn toward "Eleanor Rigby" as my favorite. I just like the overall sound of it, especially with the string quartet accompaniment, and the performance of certain lyrics always stuck with me.

10. dothesmartthing

dothesmartthing Me too.

Probably my most favorite Beatles song is "With a Little Help from My Friends," because it's about encouragement and optimism, and it has a bouncy melody. I'm not much a fan of the Beatles, but I listen to their songs on YouTube occasionally.

11. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

I'm not as big a fan of The Beatles as I used to be, but I still greatly enjoy "Sgt. Pepper" and "A Hard Day's Night". I also grin at "Come Together", but that's probably because I'm reminded of the parody that Paul Shanklin did of it ("In The White House").

And am I the only one who enjoys their sillier songs like "When I'm Sixty-Four"?

12. cartoonscartoons

cartoonscartoons I cant help it, if I'm lucky

It's also about... gettin' high.

13. Ed Liu

Ed Liu That's 'Cause I ATE IT!!!

Nope. I like "When I'm Sixty-Four," also, especially because it's a wonderful song about growing old with someone worth growing old with. But stuff like "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da" and "Yellow Submarine" and, uh, nearly everything Ringo sings are on my list, too.

14. PeppeRaskell1

PeppeRaskell1 Peanutized!!!

I've always liked their cover version of Chuck Berry's "Rock N' Roll Music."

15. Kitschensyngk

Kitschensyngk Worse than one of those little blue crunchy things

"Dear Prudence" is one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard. "Across the Universe" comes in at a close second for exactly the same reason.

16. simpsonsfan

simpsonsfan Froakie - Bubble Frog Pokemon
    Staff Member Moderator

My favorite Beatles' song is Yellow Submarine. I guess I like how it sounds. Hard to come up with a reason why I like it.

17. spongebob03

spongebob03 Member

In My Life is my favorite Beatles song. It's a very emotional song. My favorite album is Abbey Road. That last half medley is a killer. A close second is Rubber Soul. That's when their music started getting interesting to me as far as their albums go. Until Rubber Soul, most of the songs I dig from their earlier albums are the ones everybody knows. Most of the album cuts don't interest me.