1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Your Favorite Animated Series Currently Running

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by Bat-Fan Beyond, May 31, 2009.

?

Your Favorite Animated Series Currently Running

1. Batman: The Brave and the Bold

5 vote(s)
    9.8%
  2. Wolverine and the X-Men

8 vote(s)
    15.7%
  3. The Spectacular Spider-Man

32 vote(s)
    62.7%
  4. Iron Man: Armored Adventures

4 vote(s)
    7.8%
  5. Star Wars: Clone Wars

2 vote(s)
    3.9%
  6. other (please post)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Gokou Ruri

Gokou Ruri Wielder of the dark arts.

Well, I guess I can keep an eye out for those ones. I doubt it's going to make me instantly dislike AA and pick another show to be my favorite though. Out of the shows on the list, I think it has the most interesting characters/story/plot/stuff. I particularly like Pepper/Whitney because it's kind of refreshing to see female main characters who's main drive isn't 'the hero's love interest'. They both have main drives/motives/story goals that don't involve Tony (Pepper doesn't even like Tony that way)

2. CJ67

CJ67 Member

Marn,

In the comics Pepper married Happy. Where if you follow the movie they never speak, but yet in their very first issue together the are cracking at each other.

3. suss2it

suss2it Active Member

To be honest I don't really care that much where he started out. I don't even really like comics that much, I much prefer animation, and so far I think AA is doing a bang up job. If you don't like it because it's not identical or similar to the comics then to each their own.

4. CJ67

CJ67 Member

Suss,

then why did you ask the question? You don't like comics, well without them you wouldn't be on this message board go figure that one :eek:

As for why I don't like it, you didn't read what I wrote. It's not about it being identical, or similar. It's about having a main character that is nothing like who he is supposed to be. They only named this Ironman, and called him Tony Stark to take advantage of the huge popularity the movie brought to the product. Outside of having the names of the characters and a robot suit this show has nothing to do with Ironman at all. That's the point, none of the characters fit who they are supposed to be other than they have the same names. This is about $$$ and that is the only reason it was named Ironman.

5. suss2it

suss2it Active Member

But who determines who they're suppose to be in the first place? So to me it seems it does boil down to it being identical or similiar to the original source, just because. And also the original source is 40+ years of contradictions so who's to decide what's the true character?

Personally I feel as if the show is good and entertaining to watch, than I don't care about the source the material, because I can see them as two different things. Of course you could always just re-read the source material to satisfy yourself.

And yea comics may have lead to animation but that doesn't mean I have to like comics, I can appreciate them without particularly enjoying them.

6. Gokou Ruri

How exactly would it be any different if they did follow the comic/movie? It's about money either way; that's what television is always about.

I agree. I always view things on their own. I can enjoy both the Lord of the Rings books and movies despite the changes. Same with Children of Men, Men in Black, Jurassic Park, WITCH, and a bunch of other adaptions. I also prefer animated series to comics as a whole.

7. CJ67

CJ67 Member

I would say the person who created the character determines who they are supposed to be.

How would you know you haven't read it? You are quoting someone else from another post who also hasn't read it.

Stark is actually one of the few characters who isn't full of contradicitions which is kind of what makes him solid. The one thing that does stand with Tony for a very long time now are his flaws and that's what makes him Tony and Ironman. Take those away and you have Rhodey in the suit.

Fair enough, but the source material should be consistent if done in the 616 realm which very few marvel animations are now a days.

Of course it's about money, but it becomes even more about money when you take an established property and change everything but the names of the show and characters to make money. There are zero similarities to Ironman outside of the names of the characters and the suit. Like I said in an earlier post, they could have called this robotboy and started from scratch, but that would have been a huge risk. Making it the son of stark is not as big a risk, but still a risk.

I actually love comics, but animation for me is comics but even better because they move and come to life. I can enjoy not exact adaptions like LOTR as you said and others, but this is not even an adaption and that is why I know neither of you have remotely read anything about Ironman and Stark, if you had comments like these would not be made because they aren't even on point. With that said, enjoy the show, but now you know why there are a number of us who loathe the show and why. Well, outside of the crappy animation and terrible characters. There really is nothing else to discuss, you guys don't care for the origins and comics and history of the character and I do so we can both talk till we are blue in the face and it won't change anything. Have a good day.

8. Arsenal

Arsenal Magneto was right

To clarify, I do not think this representation of Tony Stark is recognizable as Tony Stark. It would be like if someone had a show featuring "Wolverine" but Wolverine sipped tea and quoted Shakespeare.

You can call it Wolverine. You can give him metal claws. But it ain't Wolverine.

They have named this kid Tony, given him a metal suit, given him a couple of similarly named supporting characters, but it ain't Iron Man. If you want to create a teen genius and have him fight crime, cool. I'll give him a swing. But don't lie to me and call it Iron Man because it gives him namebrand recognition.

The flirtatiousness is just one aspect I miss of Tony. Tony Stark is not unlike Bruce Wayne, except that's who Stark really is. If he could, he would party all the time; but, tragically, he has to save the world from time to time.

I get none of that sense of fun from teen Tony. Teen Tony seems like a combination of unfunny Spider-Man and unfunny Emperor Kuzco. (You must graduate school or you don't get to run Stark Enterprise.) Either way, he's not fun.

Marn raises one fantastic point about this Iron Man show. It's very cool to have two female characters who do not exist strictly to be Tony's love interests. Sure, Pepper asked if Tony had a girlfriend seven seconds after meeting him and Whitney is awfully friendly to him during the field trip; but they are fully fleshed characters.

Some people have called this version of Pepper annoying. Personally, I think she's the only thing that makes this show watchable. (You know, when it is watchable.) I find her actually funny. Not Happy Hogan I-know-this-line-is-intended-to-be-funny-but-I-refuse-to-laugh funny.

The show made a jump in quality when she became part of Team Iron Man. But I still cannot get over the awkward animation and this stiff, boring lead character.

9. Gokou Ruri

I suppose I can understand that. Someone on a blog who had the same problem mentioned he just thinks of it as an Elseworlds/Mangaverse or whatever other non-616 universe imprint line there is.

If you end up sticking around and watch Ready A.I.M. Fire and Masquerade, those episodes add quite a bit to Whitney's character development. Whitney does have some obvious feelings towards Tony, but it's in the backseat to her goals and motivation.

She's my favorite character, hence the avatar. As for Tony, well, I think his whole 'school is pointless forme' attitude. Especially when they start diving into the obsessed-with-revenge/ruthlessness angle of his character later on and the repercussions of those actions.

10. CJ67

CJ67 Member

I just said that same thing two posts up, what blog was this on?

11. Gokou Ruri

It was Animated Superheroes. He mentioned it in the 'Secrets & Lies' review.

12. Shredhead

Shredhead Suck gas evildoers!

Wolverine and the X-Men: This is the one I voted for I love this show. I'm glad for a more mature series that appeals to the knowleadable comic fan because well that what I am. Really I just think the show is just great all around from character designs to story. Also this one has by far the bests take on Nightcrawler ever.

Spectacular Spider-Man: I love this show but I dont find it as great as everyone else does. I'll admit its better then the 90's show and one o fthe best Marvel shows ever but I dont think its flawless its far from Marvel's awnser to Batman TAS. I love the shows writing and how well its done. I also prefer shows to not be very episodic I like for there to be some storyarcs which this show has.

Main things I hate about this show is the art style is terrible and when not in an action shot. Some of the designs just dont work I still think they could have done a much better job on the black suit. Also the forced diversity was to much. It wasn't treally the fact they changed the races as it was they over played it. Liz's overly thick fake accent and changing Ned Leeds to a more asian name of Ned Lee really was that needed. That and some of the High School drama can be a bit overly cheesey and not in a good way.

Star Wars Clone Wars: Its not a terrrible show but an animated Star Wars could be so much better then what this is. The Clone Wars is so over done now and Ahsoka is one of the worst characters to come out of the franchise that includes Jar Jar. Its fun to watch when your board and you turn your brain off.

Iron Man Armored Adventures: Its pretty bad Tony is so boring as a main character and his supporting cast isn't that great either. Again the bad animation doesn't help it. Although i got to admit they do a pretty good job on the villains.

Batman: Brave and the Bold: Terrible show I dont care for happy go lucky Batman. Batman is a character that so over done the past couple of years it gets tiresome to see him on screen. Really all the fan service and D list characters with net cult followings wont be enough to get me interested in this show. Really will it kill WB to make a GL or Flash show god. At least Marvel will try and do something outside of two franchise.

13. thundacatblue

thundacatblue Member

yes it was needed. New York city is one of the most diverse cities...well anywhere. It's not all white people.

I'm a bit with you on Liz's accent initially, but that was toned down to a MUCH more subtle one after two episodes of Lil' Rosie Perez. Interestingly enough, the girl who plays her on the show actually speaks spanish and is puerto rican so her "fake" accent isn't so much.

As for Ned Lee, if you're complaining about the deletion of two letters from a name, you're really grasping for straws.

Their ethnicities were changed. That's it. Nothing was changed that has any bearing on the actual spirit of the character. It's Spectacular Spider Man. Not the Spectacularly Aryan Spider Man and His Amazingly White Friends.

14. Munkiman

Munkiman Hail Hydra.

For me, Spectacular Spider-Man and Batman: The Brave and the Bold are sort of tied. Really, comparing them is like comparing apples and oranges.

I haven't seen Iron Man: Armored Adventures or Wolverine and the X-Men, and Star Wars: The Clone Wars is terrible (and yes, I have seen it... Well, the first ten minutes of the first episode, anyway - after that I couldn't keep watching).

Have you seen the show? Because Batman isn't "happy go lucky" on Brave and the Bold. He's really more of the straight man. Just because he's not all gloom and doom doesn't mean he isn't serious and recognizably Batman-ish.

It's true that Batman has been done a lot - the reason for that, I think, is because he's simply easier to write a good plot for than Superman. He's a normal(ish) human, so he struggles more, and the audience can identify with him more easily. Superman: The Animated Series was an amazing show, but the creators did say they had to tone down Superman's powers to create drama.

However, Batman: The Brave and the Bold is so different from previous Batman shows, so even though it's still Batman it feels fresh. Half the episodes barely even focus on Batman - he's just there to tie the show together. It's mostly about the supporting characters.

I agree that other DC properties need their own shows (especially Green Lantern!), but that's not to say they don't do anything besides Batman. There's Superman: TAS, Static Shock, Legion of Superheroes, Teen Titans, and Justice League (which did admittedly contain Batman, but he was only one-seventh of the main cast).

#74 Munkiman, Jun 7, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2009
  15. Lord Mawdryn

Lord Mawdryn Board Bad Boy

While I prefer the character designs and animation in Wolverine & The X-Men the most, I'd definitely have to say my favorite current series is Iron Man: Armored Adeventures--which is something of a shock for me, because I was certain I was going to hate it at the beginning...

And Pepper rulez!

16. Ryusuke

Ryusuke SomethingWithTheR

I'd say, I'll go with the majority and go for The Spectacular Spider-Man. It's a bold take on Spider-Man, taking all its past mythos into something new. The characters are all well-written and believable, action scenes that only Avatar could rival (imo), the plot is very consistent and never leaves anything out (and if it does, they'll use it later), solid voice acting and the animation is slick. Easily my favorite of them all. It'd be a shame to end it where it is now.

Runner-up, would be Brave & the Bold. Now, I would of picked Wolverine as my runner-up, but I'll explain why not later. What surprised me about Brave and the Bold is that while it's completely cheesey, the show is just plain fun to watch.

Wolverine & the X-Men...while it had a solid foundation for the story, Wolverine is just simply not a good leading man. Through the course of the series, he is written very inconsistently. Not to mention, Wolverine-centric episodes in this series are mostly the weakest of the bunch (imo). But, regardless of that, it's still a pretty entertaining show.

Don't see enough of Clone Wars or Iron Man to form an opinion.