1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Your Favorite Animated Series Currently Running

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by Bat-Fan Beyond, May 31, 2009.

?

Your Favorite Animated Series Currently Running

1. Batman: The Brave and the Bold

5 vote(s)
    9.8%
  2. Wolverine and the X-Men

8 vote(s)
    15.7%
  3. The Spectacular Spider-Man

32 vote(s)
    62.7%
  4. Iron Man: Armored Adventures

4 vote(s)
    7.8%
  5. Star Wars: Clone Wars

2 vote(s)
    3.9%
  6. other (please post)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Gokou Ruri

Gokou Ruri Wielder of the dark arts.

I guess I just don't get that then. I personally don't have any problem when shows differ from the source material; I tend to actually prefer it that writers do something new rather than just rehash the same thing every time; it shows a lot of creativity on their part. Especially if that reimagining is more enjoyable than the original source material.

2. M.O.D.O.K.

M.O.D.O.K. Scientist Supreme
    Staff Member Moderator

Well, I don't watch Clone Wars, so there's that.

Wolverine and the X-Men is an OK show, but I can't make a solid opinion out of it, since I've only seen the first two episodes, and I don't have NickToons. What I saw was OK, but it did seem kinda boring to me.

Iron Man: Armored Adventures is actually a surprisingly good show. Despite the unnecessary high school setting and awkward CG animation, the story arcs are well-developed, the fights are great, and Iron Man's rogue gallery is given a major, but necessary, revamp.

Batman: The Brave and the Boldis an awesome show. All the fanboy service in it is just great, with witty and sharp humor. More importantly, for those that dismiss it as a "novelty", watch episodes like "Fall of the Blue Beetle!". They can also give great character moments.

The Spectacular Spider-Man is my favorite show on TV right now. Everything about this show is perfect, from well-written characters and stories, to breathtaking action sequences, fanboy service, and even the designs, voice acting, and soundtrack. It would be a crime against humanity if this ended at this second season.

3. Antiyonder

Antiyonder Amalgam Universe Overlord
    Staff Member Moderator

Why are the Clone Wars being discussed here? Anyways:

Actually, several of them did have an ending point or at least made some changes. Curt and Martha have to move to Florida, The Green Goblin has to maintain a low profile for the time being, Flash is starting to mature and Peter broke up with Liz. Besides, there's still the hopes of

It's an aspect of the character, sure, but there's more to him than that.

At this point, the show's quality has won me over, so I'm willing to put my complaints of Teen Tony aside.

But to clear your confusion, yes, changes from the source material are a good thing if they handle it well. But if they do it for the sole sake of making changing, then there are problems. I mean look at the many movies based on video games. Many of them greatly differ from the source material, but it certainly didn't help to draw in newcomers.

But to bring the comment more on topic, it would have been nice if a reason for changing Tony's age was provided in the first place.

4. W.C.Reaf

W.C.Reaf Active Member

I read the answer to that somewhere.

Because of the lighter tone of BBatB BSaP are not as strict as they would be on shows with a more serious tone (SSM). As such they can get away with real guns and bullet sounds as well as saying kill.

5. maczero

maczero Active Member

I have to admit I made that same observation when the show first aired. However on a superficial level there are some similarities. Both are teen super heroes deeply affected by the loss of their fathers (or father figure). I even see Pepper, Rhodey and Happy as analogous to Gwen, Harry and Flash.

Although I can't stand any of the tropes that you mentioned about high school, that doesn't mean they don't exist. Bullies and cliques seem to be standard fixtures of many real life high school experiences.

I do find it refreshing that Tony doesn't appear to be caught up in any of that. In fact, I find it hilarious that Tony and apparently the writers' are aware that high school (or at least the academic elements) are a waste of his time.

Anyway, as for rating the current shows. I gotta go with:

1) Spectacular Spiderman
    2) Iron Man: AA - Really surprised by how much I like this show.
    3) Wolverine & the X-Men - I don't hate it but it still lives in the shadow of the other the X-Men series. X-Men TAS recapped the comic history so much of that material has been mined. OTOH, I'm not sure if the show has the guts to be as divergent as X-Men Evo. Also, don't care for some of the designs. Someone upthread complained about the kiddie designs on Spectacular Spiderman, but didn't have a problem with WatX. I gotta say WatX designs are a little goofy too. Nearly everyone has ultra skinny waists and huge feet.

6. henrysmythe

henrysmythe Member

1. The Spectacular Spider-Man
    2. Wolverine and the X-Men
    3. Star Wars: Clone Wars
    4. Batman: The Brave and the Bold
    5. Iron Man: Armored Adventures

Spectacular wins for me hands down. Best Marvel show ever. I'm enjoying Wolverine, Star Wars and Batman as well. The only one I don't like is Iron Man, though it does have a few redeeming qualities that keep me watching. That, and there's not much else to watch in the summer.

7. JeffBreakdown

JeffBreakdown Member

Because you suffer from a disease I call Novistry.

So you can't really judge Wolverine because you don't get Nicktoons...but you can judge Iron Man, since you don't get Nicktoons?

For me...Wolverine and the X-Men wins it all. It's like a continuation from the 90's series, yeah there's a couple lame episodes...but at 26 a season, that aint too bad. Clone Wars is an extremely close second. Spidey is a respectable third, and for me, is on par with Iron Man, while Batman just makes me pretend I'm unaware of it's existence.

8. Antiyonder

Staff Member Moderator

Of course they exist, but sitcoms and pretty much other shows with the setting have a tendency to exaggerate it.

9. Bat-Fan Beyond

Bat-Fan Beyond Active Member

ok, I'll bite-- What the heck is Novistry?

10. Azrayel

Azrayel Active Member

1. SSM by far.
    2. Iron Man
    3. Star Wars
    4. Wolverine and the X-Men
    5. Batman Brave and The Bold (god this show ruined Batmans reputation with all these sidekicks. should have kept it with the original 3: Nightwing, Batgirl, and Robin.)

11. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

How can his( a fictional character ) reputation be ruined?

12. Gokou Ruri

They do have some things in common, though I think they stop at teenage heroes who lose something important in their life. Tony himself suffers from severe social anxiety. He has no real understanding of how to interact with people since he lived in his dad's company most of his life. When he first goes to school, he has no real idea how to interact with people or how to be empathetic to their problems (he first brushes off Pepper being traumatized by her dad being hospitalized like it was a passing problem), and his relationships with his friends suffers. The first tirteen episode so far showcase him growing and learning what it means to be a friend. He is also fueled by the motive of revenge, he only puts on the armor to take down Stane for his dad's murder, he rarely does any standard superhero patrols unless he's in the vicinity when it goes down. Peter is pretty much the opposite, he's fueled by the desire to protect people and help others to correct his own mistake. He is very friendly and outgoing and tries to see the best in people and has no problem swinging around looking for crooks for no other reason than it's the right thing to do. Tony is a lot more selfish in that regard, he's only concerned with avenging his dad and completing his dad's dream of unlocking the secrets of the 5 Makulan rings, and he tends to not even realize who he neglects/hurts during that quest.

Though I think Pepper/Rhody/Happy are completely opposites of Gwen/Harry/Flash. Pepper is outgoing, eccentric, and speaks her mind. Rhody is selfless, helpful and often gets taken advantage of by Tony, and Happy is extremely friendly and helpful to the 'nerds', he even hangs around them in hopes he can become smarter, or at least get them to help him with his homework..

I guess it depends if there's a third season of SS to expand on those issues, and this is assuming IM:AA doesn't drop the ball by the season's end or beyond.

Like what? I think Arsenal mentioned he wanted Tony to at least flirt with girls, which I think would be completely out of character from what the series established already for him. It seems like people want a flirty girl-magnet Tony just because he's that way in the comics, not because it makes sense in the established context of the show or anything. He's shown no interest in the two girls he's interacted with so far outside of friendship (Pepper and Whitney) and he doesn't even start treating Whitney as a friend until Masquerade.

I think most of it was present from the start. He was kicked out of his family's company because he's a minor, and he can't get it back unless he graduates high school and turns 18, and he has restrictions on how he can go about getting dirt on Stane. I think an adult would have much less pressure on finding dirt on Stane than a kid who can't set foot in his company does. Kids having more restrictions than adults do, and all that stuff. Plus all the social and emotional growth he goes through by going to school for the first time. The only thing they expanded on later on was the loophole of him needing to graduate high school.

13. JeffBreakdown

JeffBreakdown Member

Novistry = the act of being a novice

14. Bat-Fan Beyond

Bat-Fan Beyond Active Member

Ohhhhhhh! LOL!

Well then, shouldn't that be Novicity? ;)

15. Nygma

Nygma Active Member

:rolleyes: Are you kidding me? How about the fact that he's a genius, an industrialist, and can be cocky/arrogant. But he's also quite ambitious.

No, I think Arsenal (and most people) want to see what made Iron Man/Tony Stark so entertaining to begin with.

Gerry Conway put it best about Iron Man: "Here you have this character, who on the outside is invulnerable, I mean, just can't be touched, but inside is a wounded figure. Stan made it very much an in-your-face wound, you know, his heart was broken, you know, literally broken. But there's a metaphor going on there. And that's, I think, what made that character interesting".

His playboy persona is something that greatly enhances that metaphor. Take that away, he's not as interesting and neither is the metaphor. Any changes done to a character should be for the sake of improving them (see Mr. Freeze), not for the sake of pandering to its desired core audience, like here.

And just because he hasn't flirted with any females doesn't mean we couldn't see it in the future.

16. Gokou Ruri

Those all apply to him on the show as well, so I fail to see the complaint in that regard. This is, of course, assuming that he's required to be all those in the first place and any interpretation where he isn't automatically makes him a bad character.

So him treating women like playthings somehow makes him a better character? And there's nothing that can replicate that aspect of his personality? That comment on him being flawed can make sense, and it still holds true for this series. I fail to see how him being a womanizer is so integral to being flawed. Flaws come in more than one flavor, after all. Having trouble adapting to people and social situations also fits.

And I assume you have proof to back up this claim of yours, correct? Even still, I see nothing but changes for the better with these characters. Let us remember that at he end of the day, these personalities can switch from comic issue to comic issue due to how superhero comics are written and treated. I doubt Stan Lee had the whole Civil War fiasco in mind when the character was made. Unless we're specifically ignoring everything after Lee, in which case that would be... alot. With the television series, the characters have a set personality and storyline, and a much better chance of being treated with respect than they do in the comic book. Though at the end of the day, all it takes is a simple reminder that this isn't the comic book, so all of our comparisons to it are utterly pointless. If him changing his name to Metal Dude suddenly makes the show watchable since the comparisons end, then I think the problem lies in with the viewer and not the show.

17. Antiyonder

Staff Member Moderator

I'm going to restate this one more time, and then refrain from posting unless I can come up with some on topic comments.

Now at this point I do see the change of Tony's age to be for the best creative wise, but with all of the teen centric shows from this decade, wouldn't you suspect that Teen Tony was a mandate enforced change?

If the changes are done for the sake of it, then complaints are valid. Again, look at movies such as Underdog, Super Mario Bros and Double Dragon. The creative folks behind made sure they were nothing like the source material, and we can see that the movies didn't benefit from the changes financially speaking.

If you're refering to the guest heroes, they are not sidekicks, but merely allies.

18. CJ67

CJ67 Member

Actually, Tony is flawed in many ways, he was an alcoholic, he was a womanizer, he had a huge ego that could often cloud his own judgement (see Civil War)

Leaving out Tony as being a womanizer actually changes who part of Tony outside the suit really is. You can't make him out to be the same kind of womanizer, but a guy who flirts with the girls and asks a few out on dates etc makes him Tony Stark. You can't make him an Alcoholic, the ego thing can be worked in and if you leave out the woman part you take away 1/2 of what Tony is and was. The only things you have left is the inventor with money and a tiny ego.

19. capfan1

capfan1 Member

Your a marvel fan?You could've fooled me with those remarks!I've watched the first season of the not so spectacular spider man and it's just awful!The fight scenes are ok but thats it.I watched iron man or boy,and it's just a waste of a show.the new xmen show atleast has a decent plot and decent animation(not kiddie animation).You really need to target your anger towards something other than my comments or opinions on animated shows.I am an adult and I watch cartoons.You think the simpsons,family guy and other fox toons are targeted towards kiddies?They are adult themed and should'nt be viewed by anyone under 13.You and the spectacular fans don't get it,superheroes are supposed to be more serious,violent and likeable.The x-men of the 90's was everything a marvel fan would want in an animated series.It wasnt perfect but it was a great show and a great portrayel of what superheroes are meant to be like.With that said,bring on the Avengers in 2011!

20. Nygma

Nygma Active Member

Where did I say it makes him a bad character, I just said it doesn't make him as interesting. And it's not as true to the spirit of the character.

There's a difference between flirting with women while being a suave and smooth talker (but still having respect for them) and being a womanizing and sexist pig that thinks women aren't people. Tony Stark has been portrayed as the former not the later.

If there is they're not portraying it.

That's not what made the character so popular, Tony Stark was popular because he had such a magnetic & colorful personality, and had no trouble socializing. He didn't always have Stark industries stuck in his head all the time.

What other point is there to making Tony Stark a teenager? And if there is, I'm pretty sure the network suits weren't thinking about it.

I'm not seeing what your seeing. But we'll just have to agree to disagree.

That would never add anything. Iron Man is a cool name, while Metal Dude sounds stupid. A name change would still be a show problem, just like bad animation would be (and it is). Both of these would affect certain viewers.

Can you imagine kids talking to each other saying how cool Metal Dude is? Seriously? It's a dumb name. Sometimes a little subtlety goes a long way. Of course these are all subjective flaws were talking about. My point is a little thing can greatly add something to anything.

Considering we're coming off last years blockbuster movie, one wonders why they would make Tony Stark a non socializing teenager, when Robert Downey Jr's portrayal was such a hit last year. And proved how much of a draw Iron Man/Tony Stark's character could potentially be.

And the characters and the plots aren't. And the fight scenes are more than okay they're excellent.

Please tell me you know the difference between character designs and actual animation. Animation is how fluidly things move on screen. X-Men TAS did not have good animation.

Their aimed at that audience, but there's plenty of kids that watch those shows. I remember when I was eight years old and watching The Simpsons. And I don't think everything was aimed at ages 13+.

I didn't know you spoke for all marvel fans. Can I advise that maybe you could be more optimistic in judging a show by more than just its drawings. It seems like your judgement for a show if its good or not is if you feel a common person would laugh at you because of the first impressions it makes because its drawing don't look edgey. To use an already overused cliched line: "Why so serious." A superhero cartoon doesn't have to be dark, broad, macho, and serious all the time to be a good superhero cartoon. But the opinions you've stated seem to imply that a superhero cartoon has to.

Not everyone shares that viewpoint.