1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Your Favorite Animated Series Currently Running

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by Bat-Fan Beyond, May 31, 2009.

?

Your Favorite Animated Series Currently Running

1. Batman: The Brave and the Bold

5 vote(s)
    9.8%
  2. Wolverine and the X-Men

8 vote(s)
    15.7%
  3. The Spectacular Spider-Man

32 vote(s)
    62.7%
  4. Iron Man: Armored Adventures

4 vote(s)
    7.8%
  5. Star Wars: Clone Wars

2 vote(s)
    3.9%
  6. other (please post)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Bat-Fan Beyond

Bat-Fan Beyond Active Member

It's funny, I'm a much bigger fan of Batman and The X-Men, but between all the shows running now, I'd have to say that I like, on a consistent basis, The Spectacular Spider-Man the most.

I know that season one has already aired on another network before its current run, but having never seen it, and having a second season still yet to air this year, I would still consider this a new show.

I also think that it's the best Spider-Man cartoon ever made.

2. carnage89

carnage89 Member

1. The Spectacular Spider-Man (love everything about it)
    2. Wolverine & the X-Men (its almost as good as Spectacular Spidey)
    3. Iron Man - Armored Adventures (still getting use to the CGI, and GOD Pepper is annoying, but other than this is a good show)

Marvel totally dominates this year.

3. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I suppose Spectacular Spider-Man. It's status is the reason why its taken me so long to post:p. For what's still on TV and in production it's Brave and the Bold.In order:

1) Spectacular Spider-Man - It's just filled with good stuff top to bottom

2) Brave and the Bold - The big surprise is how good this show is. I didn't know it'd be that good and fun

3) Wolverine and the X Men - A little disappointed at times with this show and other times it's up there with the previous two shows in quality. It's a show that took awhile to get up and running for me.

4) Clone Wars - The visuals and animation are nice. And its Star Wars so that helps. however I have a lot of problems with this show. Part of the reason is that its Star Wars( its a good and bad with this show ) so I know how it ends. The villains are jokes and never are the threats they should be. Too many irritating characters( Jar Jar isn't one of them :O ) and a lot of episodes don't do much.

5) Iron Man - I haven't seen much of this show which is part of the reason why I have it so low. Another is the first episode didn't really sell me on the concept of teenage Tony. It wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be but it still felt tacked on. Also the visual style also turns me off. I've been meaning to watch it again but I just can't seem to remember to see it on Fridays.

4. CJ67

CJ67 Member

SSM is hands down my my favorite, I love that show.

WATXM is my number two, another great show, but I like the story line a little better on SSM.

CloneWars, I'm an SW geek since I was a kid and this is a damn good show.

IM and BTB I don't like the character designs at all on either show, so they are both in last place for me. If I can enjoy the show visually than I can't enjoy the story.

5. FlawedCoil82

FlawedCoil82 Member

Can I ask what is so good about Spectacular Spider-Man? I cannot get it on any channels (nor have I ever been a big Spidey fan). But when I saw commercials advertising it a long time ago, it looked like it was basically a teenage version of Spider-Man. The art or designs did not look appealing to me in the least. :shrug:
    Jack

6. soundmonkey44

soundmonkey44 Melancholic Man.

I'll have to go with clone wars cause I don't get nicktoons network & even though i like Spectular Spiderman, I would'nt call it my favriote. :p

7. Arsenal

Arsenal Magneto was right

Spectacular Spider-Man would be my favorite as well. I don't know how they shove so many spectacular character moments into such a short period of time without skimping on action.

If there were a superhero animation major, Batman: The Animated Series and the Fleischer Superman would be 101. Spectacular Spider-Man would be 201. (Justice League would be masters class.)

I like Wolverine and the X-Men, but I think it has trouble with humor and pacing. Also, I think Wolverine is a much less interesting lead character than Spider-Man (and I'm a bigger X-Fan then Spidey-guy.) I would probably be more impressed with Wolverine if it were not running concurrently with Spectacular Spider-Man.

I do not like Iron Man. I think the pastiche failed. The animation looks as awkward as early Reboot episodes. Honestly, it's as bad as the worst of the first season of X-Men: Evolution. It's not just the de-aging either. The characters are not inherently interesting. (In my opinion, Pepper is the only one that stands out.)

I don't watch The Clone Wars enough to follow the ongoing storylines, so I cannot comment with much certainty. What I have seen impressed me, but enough to follow the series regularly.

I appreciate The Brave and the Bold for what it is. There's no reason Batman can't be lighthearted and fun. It's a well-done take; but, personally, I have no interest in it.

8. satam55

satam55 Active Member

[​IMG].............."Wolverine and the X-Men".

And it's not even close.

I don't care for "Batman: The Brave and the Bold" because I'm more of a marvel guy and I don't really care for DC comics unless its DCAU/Timmverse.

"Spectacular Spider-Man" is a solid show but I can't stand the childish designs and I much prefer the 90's Spider-Man series.

"Ironman: Armored Adventures" is absolute joke of an Idea to turn Ironman/Tony Stark and other characters to teenagers when
    The adult version in the comics were already a very interesting character. I also don't care for 3D/CGI animated shows, I prefer regular 2d animation. The revamped 2nd season of 90's Iron Man is WAY better than this show.

Star Wars: The Clone Wars, I want to get into this show this summer, but I need to go back and watch the prequel movies for continuity's sake.

9. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

So like he was in his first few years of his comic;)

10. Arsenal

Arsenal Magneto was right

You're right, Wonderwall, but I understand what FlawedCoil82 is trying to say.

The teen hero is a common trope. Spider-Man is arguably their patron saint. (I guess you could argue for Robin, but sidekicks are something different.)

Dwayne McDuffie's Static, Robert Kirkman's Invincible and several of the Perez-Wolfman Teen Titans all come from a similar mold. If I had to describe it in a single fragment, it would be, "saving the world, one slice of pizza at a time."

Essentially, you mix the irreverence of childhood, the angst of puberty and the seriousness of saving the world into a single situation. Spectacular Spider-Man follows that formula excellently. Iron Man botches it. They do a bad job of showing the childhood and puberty parts, partly because it feels unnatural.

That's not Iron Man's only problem. Their Tony Stark feels like an unfinished interpretation. I'm not saying he has to be a boozy womanizer, but he could at least be a laidback flirt.

Spectacular Spider-Man and, ultimately, X-Men: Evolution succeeded because they didn't change the characters when they de-aged them. Rogue was still Rogue, but she just happened to be younger. Tony Stark is wholesale different. (It probably helped that both the X-Men and Spider-Man had years of comics from when their characters were teens to source.)

11. CJ67

CJ67 Member

Arsenal,

I have to agree in terms of plot and character development. IM falls short unlike other marvel properties where they have turned back the clock. Again I think part of that problem is IM was never a kid in comics. The X-men were teens back in the early days, Spidey was a teen as well. I loved the movie and somewhere in there they could have had a toon that was with him as an adult, it works for WATXM, what do we have next a 13 year old Hulk? BB absorbs Gamma Rays in his high school lab and smashes the detention teacher? IMPO marvel is getting a little lost with their toon properties and needs to get back on track since it seems they have that other super teens toon coming in the fall.

12. capfan1

capfan1 Member

I completely agree that wolverine and the x-men is the best animated series today,if your'e a marvel fan you would be offended by the way spidey and iron man are being treated as an animated series today.Those 2 shows are targeted to the 10 and under class.Marvel needs to get back to the 90's x-men animated series style of series and stop targeting to the children.After all it's the adults that purchase and read the comics of these animated heroes.

13. Mistah K88

Mistah K88 Member

Spectacular Spider-Man wins this one. After you get used to the designs (I hated the Green Goblin's at first, now I LOVE it), you realize how good the show really is. We get to see Peter grow up as a (young) man, and unlike other "teen hero" shows (in fact unlike most superhero shows), time acctually passes as the show goes on (and we know how much time passes). The first 2 seasons have only ran a span of 7 months (September to March). You get to see all of the characters grow, develop, and learn from thier experiences. To me, that is very interesting.
    Plus, it helps for some of the villains to have their own merits (besides Goblin) instead of all being lackeys of Kingpin... This show has Doc Ock best incarnation since the comics (the movie's evil tenticles concept was dumb and robs Ock of his coolness).

Batman: The Brave and the Bold is a close second just for the fan service that it throws out. I'm a Batman boy of course and honestly I didn't really watch this show at first, but after a bit I really started to enjoy it. It took The Batman until season 4 to start becoming good (there were a few gems here and there but a majority of it is garbage to me).
    Now why is it that Batman shows are able to use guns and bullets while Spider-Man always gets the shaft, Spectacular Spidey has to make laser sounds for their guns but The Brave and the Bold shows bullets and have gun sounds?

Then there is Wolverine and the X Men is next. It actually is a real well written show...maybe even better than...dare I say it...the 90's show *cries*. Sure Spider-Mans current show beats the 90's show but that wasn't hard to beat, and Batman 90's will probably never be surpassed. However, like most X-Men media outside of comic books, it becomes all about Wolverine (I liked Cyclops as a kid). Honestly I found the Wolverine centric episodes the worst of the series.

Now I've honestly tried to watch Irom Man Armored Adventures, but the characters are quite boring. Pepper is the most interesting one...The changing the characters to teenagers was a dumb move in my opinion. I understand that he couldn't be a drinking womanizer, but you don't have to completely focus on that small aspect of Iron Man's history. Also, would it kill them to at least give Tony some peach fuzz? When I was 16 I had a goatee... Now Spider-Man as a teen I understand because he was THE teenage superhero in his day (all other teenager super people were side kicks), but Iron Man it doesn't really work as much.

14. Anarky

Anarky Team Conan

I'm a Batfan but Spidey wins this round. Out of all its characters, Hammerhead is my personal fave. I loved his pwnage of Spidey in "Accomplices". Overall DiMaggio nails the role. Maggs voices a great sandman as well.

I've only seen a few Brave & Bold eps, some are ok, others are quite entertaining (The Owlman 2-parter for instance).

Thumbs down on Teen Tony.
    I haven't seen ANY of the Clone Wars series so no comment.

I've seen a few Wolverine eps, so far I'm sold. Looking forward to a complete season set.

15. Webbed-Wonder

Webbed-Wonder Still thwipping!

I think The Spectacular Spider-Man is the best. Once you can get past the designs you start to see how great the show really is. Back to the basics approach to Spidey. Amazing animation, the continuity is very tight, the characterization of every character is spot on and the writing is always consistently satisfying. All the use of the obscure comic characters is great too. How a Marvel fan could not enjoy this show is beyond me.

Wolverine and The X-Men comes in at second, I'm watching the Nicktoons Network run of the show, so I haven't seen too many episodes yet. I'm really enjoying what I'm seeing though. It's pretty epic and it has great designs. Though, I think that it can be a little hit-or-miss sometimes so far, but thankfully it hits more than it misses.

Batman: The Brave and The Bold is also a very entertaining show. I love how retro the show is, and how much stuff they pack in there for the comic fans. The show may even rival The Spectacular Spider-Man in this department.

Iron Man: Armored Adventures still hasn't beat season 2 of the 90s Iron Man cartoon, but it's still miles ahead of the first season of that show. It also loses some points for turning Tony Stark into a teenager.

Haven't seen enough of Star Wars: The Clone Wars to comment on it.

16. Gokou Ruri

Gokou Ruri Wielder of the dark arts.

Like always, I'm in the minority and picked Iron Man. Out of those, it's the only one that catches my interest.

Wolverine & the X-Men is clearly for comic book fans, given the fact they shove a whole bunch of characters in your face with no real introduction and expect you to know who they are already. In terms of writing, it's not that bad overall, but it loses a ton of points for that approach; especially from someone who hates superhero comics and doesn't care to wiki every single character that pops up (and no one should have to)

Star Wars Clone Wars... I just hate plain Clone Wars-era Star Wars. I wish Lucas would get over it already because I don't see the point since we already know what happens in Episode 3.

Batman: Brave and the Bold is just too goofy, lighthearted, and silly for me to care about. A throwback to the goofy Batman which I don't like.

Spectacular Spider-Man would be runner up, since I thought the first season was great. The second season I didn't care too much for due to how erratic it was with the plotlines going all over the place, and ultimately, going nowhere with no real conclusion or point to any of them. Not to mention they felt way too rushed.

That leaves Iron Man: Armored Adventures, which more or less breaks a lot of stereotypes I have with superhero series. The writers aren't afraid to deviate from the source material. They actually made a ton of changes for the better I'd say (especially the designs of the villains like Whiplash, Living Laser, Killer Shrike, and Madam Masque) and the personality of the characters. I for one do not want a womanizing, alcoholic playboy as the main character.. all it really does is pander to male fantasy on how the hero can 'get anything/any girl he wants', which I'm all for breaking. Also, anyone who says it's ripping off Peter Parker has obviously never seen the show, because Tony and Peter have completely different attitudes and outlooks on life. The only thing they have in common is they're both high schoolers.

They also have a clear introduction, a clear developing plotline, and a developing cast of characters that never get shoved into the background, even when the episode focuses on someone else (a big problem I had with the second season of Spectacular Spider-Man.. 'Eddie/Venom ONLY appears in these three Venom episodes and he'll never develop, let alone appear ouside of them' Though to be honest, they didn't really develop him IN those episodes either...) Plus it also seems they have a central plotline in mind and don't just throw the same villains at us over and over again. The Makulan Rings and everything else develops which every episode and is building up to a potentially awesome climax.

It's also nice to see school portrayed as normal for once. No bullies, no vying for the popular girl, no desire to be popular, or anything else that never applied to me when I was in high school. Tony quite literally doesn't care for school at all, and only goes because he has to to get his company back. I like the fact school is just another setting and obstical for him to get around.

17. Nygma

Nygma Active Member

Uh, yeah most schools aren't like that AT ALL. And instead of implied, the word your looking for is appealed.

Anyways, Spectacular Spider-Man blows away every other series and leaves them in the dust.

And I agree with Arsenal, on the problems with the new Iron Man cartoon in terms of its animation, and how the characters barely even stand out or spark great interaction with one another. And I'm not seeing the point behind making Tony Stark a teenager at the moment.

18. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm a Marvel fan I'm not offended by either. As a Marvel fan I'm more offended from close minded opinions like the one you just wrote here. Have you ever watched Spectacular or Armoured Adventures? Or did you just make the opinion based off SSM designs and Teen Tony. Watch an episode of Spectacular and you'll see complex relationships or Iron Man you'll see a murder in the first episode. Wolverine and the X Men is just as much targeted to 10 year old as those two shows.

It's a good thing you don't run things at any network, seriously that statement makes zero sense. Adults don't watch these shows or at least they aren't the majority. Kids are, the comics used to have them as the majority audience once too. There's a reason comic sales are in the toilet and why Marvel and DC need their properties on TVs and theaters.

19. Gokou Ruri

Gokou Ruri Wielder of the dark arts.

By 'applied' I meant that it never applied to my life in high school since I never went through that. There were no bullies at my high school (mainly because if you start fights/pick on people you tend to get suspended/expelled), and the 'popular kids' weren't mean or snobbish; most of them were popular because of how outgoing and friendly they were. Sure, there were jerks and stuck up people, but they weren't the popular kids/jocks, they were the ghetto/gangster/party kids and hung out by themselves.

I think Pepper stands out pretty well and has a pretty unique personality. Not to mention Whitney Stane has had some tremendous growth/development despite being in only 3 episodes so far. Tony himself also stands out from a lot of other heroes with his attitude and personality about being a hero and his quest for revenge, he's a more flawed and has more of a bitter angle than other heroes.

I still don't see why people complain about Tony being a teenager, it'd be like complaining Ben Tennyson is a teenager, or Peter Parker is a teenager. It's also not like they just pulled it out of a hat, the entire story of the series revolves around that fact.

20. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

People don't complain about those two because Peter was a teenager for a number of years in the comics and Ben never had any source material so it was ok for him to grow into a teen.

Tony has always been an adult so now they're changing the source. Some people have a problem with that, I only have a problem if its done bad. Tony in that show didn't offend me so that was good but I still felt it wasn't necessary.

But I only saw the first episode so I've still got to watch more before I can make an informed opinion on it. But that's my reasoning for all the hate from other people.