1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Young Justice" News & Discussion Thread, Part 29 (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by RoyalRubble, Aug 17, 2017.

1. Harlequinn

Harlequinn Joker's Henchman

I don't think WB is really expecting to sell this with just two shows. I do think there will be a comic component that will attract quite a bit of people to the service. There's also the proposed Hawk and Dove live action spin off and whatever other animated/live action projects that have yet to be announced.

Considering that the demographic for season 3 is older, I don't think kids getting their parents to get the service is a concern of DC, since kids aren't the target audience any more.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

It's one reason I think this subscription platform fad is idiotic. It sounds like they're basically selling people one channel at a time by dangling finite exclusive content instead of a person subscribing to a cable company and getting every possible channel they want but not that one exclusive TV show unless it gets a Blu-ray release 1-2 years later. Because why - the studio doesn't want to play ball with companies like Direct TV or Netflix anymore? If this DC Digital Service has all 3 seasons of YJ, all issues of the comic book -- that's potentially a different story. If the service has every single animated series, movie, short, webisode created in the past 25 years -- that's a better hook, imo.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I do think the service is definitely going to need more to draw people in then season 3 of Young Justice and a live action Titans show by Greg Berlanti.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Marvelman02

Marvelman02 Active Member

5. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. #1 defender

#1 defender Member

That's a scene from Teen Titans - The Judas Contract.

Edit: What RR said.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Dorko

Dorko Member

I can't imagine that the streaming service would have comics, but you're dead on that they gotta have SOMETHING more than two shows - and almost certainly will. The question I'm interested in seeing answered is "what will they have" - for example, the DVDs of the Swamp Thing movies and TV series are made by Shout! Factory and the show itself doesn't appear to be a WB production, what does that mean for the streaming rights? How about The Secrets of Isis, which is apparently owned by Universal Television despite also being a DC character?

It will be really interesting to see what they've got. I'm still fingers-crossed for an official U.S. release of the 1997 Justice League of America TV movie - the launch of a DC streaming service within a year of the big budget JLA seems like as good a time as any.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Otaku-sempai

Otaku-sempai Well-Known Member

Traci Thirteen wasn't in that movie and I don't recognize this screenshot from it either. Or--was Traci a supporting character who was part of Jaime's arc?

[​IMG]

#68 Otaku-sempai, Oct 5, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
  9. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

It really is from The Judas Contract. Admittedly, they didn't call her Traci 13 during the movie, but a girl named Traci who wears a T-shirt with "13" on it had to be a nod to her character from the comics. She was working at that soup kitchen, where Jaime Reyes also joined. I think the screenshot is when Dick Grayson comes looking for Jaime and talks to her.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Otaku-sempai

Otaku-sempai Well-Known Member

Thanks, I found a visual reference and her cast credit (voiced by Masasa Moyo) just a couple of minutes ago.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Harlequinn

Can't confirm the authenticity of this, but I read a Reddit post that said that Nolan North told them at NYCC that he just recorded episode 15. I personally believe this because Nolan did say some months ago what episode he had just recorded.

Going by Greg's old season 1 production updates, this means that the first few episodes are possibly nearing post production.

• Informative Informative x 2
  12. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

Did they ever give us an episode count?

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

13. Boomerangfan101

Boomerangfan101 Can You Not!

Yeah it’s 26

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. goatbat

goatbat New Member

With this information, my guess would be that (assuming they release the entire season at once) we'll be able to see it for Fall 2018.
    If they are doing half-seasons, maybe we'll see something by next summer!

You make some great points.

I wonder, if they don't have too much else besides the two shows, then if they will start off by giving away one month subscription for free if you buy a movie (like JL) on DVD. That would also be a good deal.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Mod Note: Double Post Merged. Multiple posts in a row are not allowed. Please use the Multi-Quote bottom in the lower right corner of a post. See pinned Rules at DC Animation Forum home page for more info.

#74 goatbat, Oct 12, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2017
  15. Harlequinn

I'm fairly certain there won't be big episode drops all at once. That's new streaming app suicide.

16. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

What is CBS doing with their platform, for example - isn't it $5.99 a month but then for their show Star Trek Discovery, it's a new episode every Sunday?

17. Dorko

Dorko Member

Indeed. Another streaming method that seems to be gaining steam is "smaller releases, done more frequently". So a series gets launched with six episodes, then a few months later you drop six more, and so on and so forth (as opposed to releasing all 26 at once at then waiting two or more years to make more).

I could see either strategy working for a DC service.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. Medinnus

Medinnus Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I think some of these 'We have a barn - lets put on a show!" streaming channel plans are absolute idiocy from a pragmatic standpoint, I just don't see people having multiple $5/month throwaway income above and beyond already-expensive cable service, netflix, hulu, etc etc, especially given the nature and ubiquity of content piracy.

None of which bothers me at all, except I can easily see idiot executives blaming YJ3 for not bringing in enough subscriptions, rather than the flawed concept of the subscription itself.

EDIT - Nobody will be more pleasantly surprised than myself if they provide enough value to make me eat my words, of course....

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Greg Weisman, Brandon Vietti, Jason Spisak and Christopher Jones will be at Grand Rapid Comic Con (October 20-22). They have a panel together October 21 from 3:30-4:30 pm in Grand Gallery E-F to talk about "Transferring Comics To The Screen and Vice Versa".

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. Harlequinn

As long as there's some sort of comic component to the streaming app, like Marvel Unlimited, I don't see the service flopping.

• Agree Agree x 1