1. We're giving away Twin Saga MMO Starter Packs on Twitter and Facebook!
    Go here to Follow Us and RT on TWITTER
    Go here to Like our page and Share the Giveaway Post on FACEBOOK
  2. Episode 13 of the Toonzone Podcast is live! Listen to it here: http://www.toonzone.net/toonzone-podcast-episode-13/

We discuss The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, the Nintendo Switch, 20 years of Toonami, Toonami’s first era on Cartoon Network, the Adult Swim era, and what we’d like to see from Toonami in the future.

Dismiss Notice

"Young Justice" News & Discussion Thread, Part 28 (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by Yojimbo, Feb 23, 2017.

1. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Off the top of my head, they could be confused with cut storyline from season 2 that acted as was a follow up on Zatanna's story with Zatara and Dr. Fate. It was mentioned in that Life after Young Justice interview from January 2014.

• Like Like x 1
  2. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I find it kind of interesting that if the 3rd Season were to focus on magic, the show would have followed a similar pattern with Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes (where the 3rd Season that was never made was supposed to be the "magic season", and the 2nd one was the "cosmic season", not unlike how Young Justice Invasion turned out).

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Unless they changed their minds in the years that have passed, season 3 is supposed to be focused on the New Gods. But magic could prove useful against them like it did against the Reach.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. CyberCubed

CyberCubed Active Member

Wait a minute Season 3 isn't coming till 2018? Why did they announce it so early then? By the time this new season comes out all the people who watched the original show in 2011 will have moved on. Most kids watching at that time are now 20 year olds, and most everyone else who was in their mid to late 20's are now 30+.

Who is this even aimed at then?

5. Red Arrow :D

Red Arrow :D Proud Beneluxer

People who were 9 years old in 2010 will be 17 next year.

6. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I doubt people would just simply "move on" if the new season they have been asking for nearly 4 years takes longer than expected to debut. At least it was officially announced and we know production on it has begun.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. CyberCubed

CyberCubed Active Member

Young Justice started in 2011 and its now 2017. Think of it this way, shows that started in 2001 were considered old as hell in 2007. I know it seems like time passes more quickly this decade, but it's the same for 2001 shows compared to 2007 shows.

Teen Titans started in 2003 and ended in 2006. The show only lasted 3 years despite how popular it was. Young Justice began nearly a decade ago in 2011, kids watching in 2018 will have likely never heard of the show, and the original kids watching it are now fully grown adults or teenagers.

I feel like this is only aimed at us, the 25-30+ year old crowd who were already "old" when Young Justice started.

8. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Weisman said he's "mostly only reading DC Rebirth titles now, as potential research for YJ."

We have discussed this beforehand for a few pages... not that long of a read. 2018 is not confirmed. Just speculated. But given time of announcement and where Weisman said they were at in terms of production, it seems to be a lot more similar to the season 2 announcement and production timeline than the season 1 announcement and production timeline.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

He's chosen his material wisely ;).

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

How so? (I don't read them)

11. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

They're all generally pretty good, well-written, and show a strong understanding of the characters and their mythos' :)

I'd well-recommend them to anyone ;).

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. Harlequinn

Harlequinn Joker's Henchman

I think you're over thinking things. Young Justice has a huge fanbase that crossed demographics it wasn't marketed to, it'll continue to have popularity when season 3 is released. I have quite a few concerns about season 3, but viewership is not one of them.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. Greg91

Greg91 Member

You are missing out. If there's any superhero comics to read right now, it's DC Rebirth. As much as I love Marvel, besides a few titles like Black Panther (yay!), Ms. Marvel, Spider-Man/Deadpool, the Star Wars comics, etc. Marvel isn't as consistently strong across the board as DC is.

A few stories I personally recommend include Nightwing, Detective Comics, Titans, Superwoman, and Red Hood and the Outlaws. If Young Justice does take from any series, it would probably be Titans or Teen Titans, I'd guess.
    Thanks for letting people know. Late 2017 is possible but some time in 2018 is also possible. Similar to Samurai Jack season five being confirmed for 2016, but airing just recently in early 2017.
    I think it's aimed for anyone who's interested. A show from 2011 compared to 2017 (similar to your 2001/2007 example) isn't really that "old" in my opinion. A show from the 90s or even 2001 today could be considered old, but 2011 was simply six years ago, not a decade or longer.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

I meant 2018 isn't confirmed but likely. Late 2017 is pushing it, imo. Y'know, speaking of Samurai Jack. The thought did pop in my head. We saw Adult Swim extend it's slot by half an hour for Jack. Wonder if YJ might take that same slot if it airs on cable but as is -- no difference rating wise from season 1 and 2 (i.e. still no blood or swearing added even though it's AS).

Yeah, most of the DC stuff is made for anyone with eyeballs and ears. It's the higher ups who decide on 'demographics' because that's their prerogative, imo.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I would assume with Young Justice's success on Netflix, which probably had a lot to do with the revival, that there's still a sizeable audience for it ;).

• Agree Agree x 4
  16. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I don't know about demographics or target audiences, but I'm pretty sure the Young Justice revival will have a decent sized audience. Anyone who has watched the first 2 seasons (either when they originally aired or just discovered the show on Netflix), and even new viewers should find something to enjoy when it comes out.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Marvelman02

Marvelman02 Member

2018 is the soonest we would see season 3, and even then 2019 is more likely. According to Greg, it takes ten months to animate an episode of YJ. As of today, production on s03e01 has not begun which means we will not see season 3 in 2017. Everyone should put that out their heads. Furthermore, I am sure that WB will want to wait until they have several episodes if not the whole series in the can before broadcasting it which would push back the season 3 premiere even further. So, yeah, 2017 is definitely out. Common sense says 2018 is the earliest season 3 will debut, and maybe not even then.

• Like Like x 1
  18. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

No idea where 2017 came from. We juat got the green light info the end of 2016. Even Greg and Brandon, who are the writers of the series just found out, actual production feels 2 yrs out. I'm thinking Fall 2018. Maybe the confusion is with Samurai Jack S5.

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I think the press release that confirmed Season 3 mentioned it was coming in early 2017. But that seemed unlikely from the start especially considering production didn't officially start until a week later.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. Marvelman02

Marvelman02 Member

To be specific, as of this writing, the show is in pre-pre production. The producers are planning the story; scripts are being written; but no artwork has been done, no storyboards completed, and definitely no animation.