1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Young Justice" News & Discussion Thread, Part 15 (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by James Harvey, Mar 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gold Starz

Gold Starz "Evil Resides In Crystal Cove"

But turning him evil would be pointless, why introduce the character if your not going to at least develop them more? If they wanted to turn someone evil just because their dad was evil, they would have done it with Artemis. Having Mantaman armor just means he knows who his dad is now and is wearing it to show that just because your family is evil, doesn't mean you are (plus I'm pretty sure the electric thing comes with it and Aqualad figured out that power would be useful sometimes).

2. spartanx54

spartanx54 Active Member

Don't you think turning Kaldur evil is a character development? Artemis knows she has Supervillian relatives. Kaldur dosen't. Remember, this is a Weisman show, look at the dramatic plot twist with Roy. Anything's possible. And Kaldur's been through a lot of crap he pretty much lost his best friend on Earth, and his lover, Tula is with his best friend now. Not saying Aqualad will switch sides, but the reasons stated above show that he could.

Maybe it's possible that Kaldur's a double agent for the League now they know about the Light...

3. Gold Starz

I don't really think completely changing character is 'development'. Also, Artemis grew up around evil people and was raised by them, which is exactly why Kaldur wouldn't turn evil, since he was raised to be a good person by his mother. Also, a year isn't enough to completely change someone's morality.

This is more likely, but I doubt he's stay a double agent for long considering how they only tell the really high ups anything.

4. Marvelman02

Marvelman02 Active Member

I can see Wally making a joke like this, but I think even he knows that isn't the way his relationship with Artemis is going to work. Also, as the science prodigy, Wally is in a better position to support a family. If anyone is going to stay home with the kids, it should be him!

5. Dayspring

Dayspring Active Member

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!!! I missed the last minute or so! Can someone tell me what happened in that conference at the end? Robin was explaining that a handful of heroes were missing for six something when it cut out for me.

As for earlier discussions, Kaldur in Manta armor might not be Kaldur. Remember that Black Manta is part of the Light and that the Light had DNA samples of Robin, Kid Flash and Kaldur taken during the pilot. That Tim Drake/Dick Grayson hybrid might be Earth-16's Red Robin, who would be a clone of the real Robin. Meanwhile, the Kaldur in Manta armor would be Kaldur's clone under the control of the Light.

But most likely, the show starts off January 1 and a timeskip occurs a scene or two into things. How else could Batgirl have gone from teen to athletic adult?

And Lobo looks so fraggin' sweet! :D

6. M.O.D.O.K.

M.O.D.O.K. Scientist Supreme
    Staff Member Moderator

No, they don't. Remember that they blew up the DNA samples that were taken.

Not to mention the Light no longer has control of Cadmus. That's why they were clearing everything up and taking Match and real Roy with them.

7. thisguyisnotcool

thisguyisnotcool Active Member

Forgot to mention it the promo also confirmes Gordon Godfrey so you can add him to the count.

8. Skaddix

Skaddix Active Member

Ignoring my feelings on having either minority in aqualad or artemis fall to the dark side. You don't do a fall to a character off screen, you have to show the fall unless you start the character out as already fallen. But you cannot just take a hero skip forward a year and suddenly have them on the darkside when they have shown no signs like Aqualad or already risen above it like Artemis. That would be poor storytelling.

9. Gold Starz

Soooo... After look ing over the trailer again, some guys at another forum realized that Sinestro... Wasn't Sinestro... It was a picture John Stewart looking at himself, which while it wouldn't make sense at the time, does now...

New Characters
    • Wonder Girl (Cassandra Sandsmark)--Episode 1
    • Blue Beetle (Jaime Reyes)
    • Lobo--Episode 1
    • Adam Strange
    • Alanna Strange (?)
    • Darla Dudley (?)
    • Unidentified Glowing Man
    • Glorious Godfrey
    • Sardath
    • Virgil Hawkins (Static)
    Hero Emergences:
    • Karen Beecher as Bumblebee
    • Barbara Gordon as Batgirl
    • Mal Duncan as Herald/Vox (revealed via WonderCon)
    • Garfield Logan as Beast Boy
    • Lagoon Boy
    Alien Species:
    • Czarnian (No point is plurals since Lobo killed the rest)
    • Rannians
    • The Reach (Blue Beetle's armor is a species of Reach)
    • Dominators
    • ???
    • ???
    • ???
    • ???
    • ???

10. RoryWilliams

RoryWilliams Well-Known Member

Aqualad turning evil seems like too big a development to just gloss over. It's possible we'll start in a time skip and then gradually see what happened to the other members of the original team. I think there was at least one minor shot of the current cast being given a mission by Batman in the trailer.

11. Lord Sidious

Lord Sidious Active Member

Time skip??

I don't think so.

Jan. 1st in Invasion is the day after the Season 1 finale.

There's probably a reason why they look different. I thought Greg even said that Season 2 starts directly after the Season 1 finale.

And I know WW's own strength was making Rocket's bubble stronger. What I was trying to say is that Rocket's bubble can imprison EVERYONE making Rocket the most powerful physically???

So in a real fight, Rocket can beat everyone the moment she uses her bubble on them.

Which was my ONLY Gripe on the season 1 finale.

I mean c'mon!! Rocket is a junior super, at least make one of the world's greatest super demolish that bubble.

12. Gold Starz

Except when Rocket reaches her limit it will break. Also, using something that doesn't require kinetic energy like a laser beam, would break it. At least that's what I gather.

Also, about the time skip, while I don't WANT it to happen.

January 1st: "Yeah! We beat the Light"

OYL

January 1st: Aliens! Oh no!

Also, Greg said IN ESSENCE it took place directly after the finale.

13. spartanx54

spartanx54 Active Member

Just a theory (might/probably br wrong)Now that I think about it, I think it's fairly obvious why KF, Artemis, Zatanna, Rocket, and Aqualad are missing from the finale. Season 2 will be similar to JLU, having squads opposed to having 12 members on one mission. Maybe it's coincidence that the missing members aren't in the promo. Anyways, I hope to God the missing members didn't resign. And if there isn't a time gap, them leaving the Team within 24 hours wouldn't make much sense.

Also, on Kaldur and KF,

And Wally's voice actor was present at the voicing of episode 5 of season two. I think KF and Aqualad are in the clear, it's Arty, Zee, and Rocket we need to worry about.

14. jph139

jph139 Immortal

Exactly. She has a belt (in the comics at least, and I assume here) that lets her absorb kinetic energy, store it, and release it. There's a lot of ways to get around it - use a non-kinetic ability, overload the belt, remove the belt, or just don't hit her in the first place. She has no power unless you give it to her.

And that's just defensively (it's generally a field around her body). Just breaking her concentration would get you out of a bubble. But mindslaves generally aren't known for their higher thinking.

15. Primal Slayer

Primal Slayer Member

I'm guessing they are going to go with Zeus as Cassie's dad since she isn't wearing any godly artifacts. Or they will just make her an Amazon.

16. BonnieB21:-)

BonnieB21:-) Active Member

What The Hay YJ

In the main DCU comics his parents may not be married. But on the show if we ever get an explanation it'll probably be- his parents met, fell in love, got married, had major differences about King Aquaman, break up, Mom discovers she's great wth child, Black Manta finds out anyway, Mom lies to Kaldur about Dad's true identity, Dad continues to be a supervillian.

I also agree that there's a major time skip here (more than a year, possibly 2). Seriously Batgirl looks like a full grown woman- while Robin still looks like a kid and they've both supposed to be in the same grade :eek:.

Beast Boy looks older and has gained full control of his powers. M'gann and Robin look different. Yet Billy Bastion still looks the same. Of course Billy Bastion is never allowed to age. Does being Captain Marvel stunt his growth? How long has he been a member of the JL/a hero that he hasn't hit puberty yet?

I'll be disappointed that after all the set up of the first season, we get a time skip cheat to add a bunch of new characters who'll have already formed bonds with the team we won't have been a part of. Yeah, they did it with JL ---->JLU..... I would've liked to have seen the recruitment process anyway.

Plus in all this time all the ships would've had to evolve- SuperMartian, Spitfire, Aqua-Ocket, & Chalant could all be married or broken up. Without seeing Batgirl and Robin together to compare- I can't see why she would want him and he still looks like a child, when she's more mature looking. Yes, I know puberty hits girls earlier than boys. And Robin had a growth spurt (or is that someone else as Robin?). Still it'll be interesting seeing Zatanna/Robin/Batgirl interact when NONE of his previous exes have ever appeared together; Starfire, Batgirl, or Donna Troy (on screen or in comics). No Donna Troy was never his girlfriend, but people still ship them. Yes, DT and SF were both on the comics Teen Titans, but never as romantic rivals for Robin.

You know the funny thing about Wonder Girl is? She started off as a deaged Wonder Woman. Just like Superboy's original adventures were just young Clark Kent getting his super hero on. It might be fun to see WG as a reverse Captain Marvel.

17. suss2it

suss2it Active Member

I'm not sure how it is in the main DCU with Aqualad and his dad, but in the show's canon his mom is married to a former Black Manta mook, and Aqualad is under the impression that he's his real father. So I doubt that Manta and Kaldur's mom were married once upon a time, but it's possible.

18. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

Actually the one thing I don't care for this season has been the 'ships. I know its raging hormones for teens, but it just feels unrealistic for everyone to like someone. This is where even Teen Titans got it better worked out. I guess Season two will simply add more ships and triangles, which I still don't care for unless done correctly. SSM did it right, and so did Gargoyles, so we will see.

19. BonnieB21:-)

BonnieB21:-) Active Member

Who's Your Daddy

I looked up Aqualad's parents on Young Justice wiki.

http://youngjustice.wikia.com/wiki/Aqualad

They don't appear until issue #14.

http://youngjustice.wikia.com/wiki/Young_Justice_Issue_14

Nice to see Kaldur's folks finally. I now see why he was so intrested in Tula :shrug:. I must've misread it somewhere that his mom told him that his dad was a henchman of Black Manta, not Black Manta himself. But thats what he believes and since no one's ever corrected him- its the same thing.

Well, if she and Black Manta weren't married, she married his henchman at an undetermined time between pregnancy and childbirth or after childbirth, and Kaldur's not Black Manta's clone (although anything's possibly with this show).... I've been concerned/curious about whether or not Kaldur was conceived in an act of love or violence. There's NO way that the YJ cartoon/tie in comic are going to even imply must less state that Black Manta raped Sha'lain'a and the result is Kaldur. Superboy is the resident conceived by deception and violence baby on this show.

As for the rampant relationships, its unrealistic that everyone paired up so easily. In the real world, Artemis wouldn't've cared less about M'gann's feelings for Superboy- if she wanted him, she'd have gone after him. SB could've been seeing her behind M'gann's back. And they all would've ended up on Maury Povich. KF would've had a real problem with fantasying about White Miss Martian and with Artemis' whole famiy being supervillians. Thats why the addition of triangles to destroy the happy couples- maybe interesting. We've got Jamie Reyes, Batgirl, and Wonder Girl, but who wants Lagoon Boy? And Beast Boy's still too young, but could end up with Darla Dudley.

There's new speculation going around that thats not Batgirl in the preview, but Batwoman (Kathy Kane) in Batgirl's uniform. If you don't believe in the time skip theory, it's pretty plausible. Afterall, the Toy Fair prototype doesn't quite match the cartoon, we don't see the character's hair.

#479 BonnieB21:-), Apr 22, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2012
  20. W.C.Reaf

W.C.Reaf Active Member

Well as Crispin Freeman said, "you're going to put 5 or 6 teenagers in a tower, alone, two of which are a couple, and nothing happens?" ;)

Having seen the TT fandom the only difference between it and YJ, 'ship wise, is that YJ actually did something with the relationships. TT teased the fandom about them and the fandom when crazy about them in every which way possible, but nothing happened on screen beyond, what, one kiss between Robin and Starfire.

While I don't like that everyone hooked up with everyone else, and I hope Aqualad and Rocket don't actually become a couple, at least they weren't a tease about it. Connor and Megan were a couple not even halfway through the season, Wally and Artemis' has been building and growing stronger since the two met, same with Dick and Zatanna. Given the general modus operandi for romance in TV today, not just cartoons, is "tease the hell out of it, but never let them be a couple." (Looking at you, Castle) I'm glad YJ is going, "Hey let's do something unique here, lets have characters like each other, start relationships, and actually develop them."

Yeah I think they went overboard with it but given fans were complaining about the same thing when it was just Connor & Megan and Wally & Artemis, I don't think the fans problem is the number of couples but what they expect from an animated series.

I don't we can use "In the real world" when talking about supervillains and White Martians, not to mention clones and speedsters. It just doesn't work because those things don't exist in the real world.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.