1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

You Can't Do That On Television is getting rebooted.

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by Daikun, Aug 29, 2017.

1. Daikun

Daikun Long Live the Fighter!

One of Nickelodeon's original hit shows that started at the network's launch, You Can't Do That On Television, is getting rebooted.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

The original was one of the biggest embarrassments to come out of my generation. Its one redeeming virtue was giving us Alanis Morisette, but it was such a crapfest otherwise, I almost wonder if it was worth it. How I feel about this show is how everybody else in the world would feel if Saved By The Bell enjoyed a favorable reputation years later, instead of being a universal punchline.

I guess the slime thing is reason enough for Nick to bring back their signature show, but I sincerely hope it doesn't suck as much as the original did. Although I would be surprised if it did.

3. AdrenalineRush1996

AdrenalineRush1996 Active Member

That and this was before Morrisette's early years as a teen pop singer.

Actually, it's because of this show that the slime became synonymous with Nickelodeon.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

4. jaylop97

jaylop97 Commonly found at Night

Sounds okay for a reboot, though It surely doesn't really have much of a place for a reboot since the predecessor was just eh and reboots common history.

5. AdrenalineRush1996

Especially that there's been three lacklustre reboots currently airing on CN, while DuckTales 2017 on Disney XD and Voltron: Legendary Defender on Netflix have gotten more positive response than the other three reboots.

6. PinkiePie97

PinkiePie97 Well-Known Member

Nick doesn't actually own You Can't Do That On Television. It was a Canadian import. This may not have been Nick's idea (although with all the revivals they've been doing, it wouldn't surprise me if it was) because the article says it has yet to announce a network. It might not end up on Nick (though it still could since the original aired on NickSplat when it started).

Anyway, I haven't seen the original apart from a few clips, but I am aware of its role in Nickelodeon history. Maybe I'll take a look at it.

7. zoombie

zoombie Well-Known Member

This won't work. You Can't Do That On Television is such an 80's time piece, but more so they did stuff you can't get away with today especially for a kids show. The firing squad and the dungeon skit that can't happen today we live in too much of a PC time, not to mention no more arcade skits because don't go to arcades.

• Agree Agree x 1
    #7 zoombie, Aug 30, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
  8. SparkleMan

SparkleMan One Step Closer To The Edge

HOLY *BLEEPED OUT FOR REASONABLE REASONS* PLEASE TELL ME YOU'RE JOKING
    EDIT: HOLY CRAP MY 1000TH MESSAGE

#8 SparkleMan, Aug 30, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
  9. AdrenalineRush1996

If it weren't for the show, the slime wouldn't have been symonymous with Nickelodeon.

10. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

I already know both of these things.

So you're saying they can't do that on television?

11. Checkerboard

Checkerboard THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS

Why do I have a feeling it will be forgettable.

12. MegasMilo379

MegasMilo379 Active Member

This is super corny to say but anyway:
    They Can't Do You Can't Do That on Television on Television...today.
    I remember seeing literally one episode in my childhood it was enough to find too cheesy and controversial to make today.
    And researching it years ago proved why: episodes about Divorce, Adoption, Firing Squad and more of their heavier topics simply would not be made in today's PC world, let alone aired. So it would be cool to hear, but a landmine walk to make today.

(Plus, the title sequence [especially at the end] still creeps me out...)

13. zoombie

zoombie Well-Known Member

Yes I am at least a kids show. You want to make this geared towards Adult Swim type audience that is a different story.

One thing I am curious about is who would play the adults. I am hoping they get some alums to play the Les Lyle role and the female adult roles.

14. Dantheman

Dantheman Active Member

This, and I also remember skits revolving around kids' fear of being naked at school or some other public place, which would be seen as problematic nowadays, and ones about boys being made to wear a dress to school, which would be seen as transphobic in today's climate. Best to leave some stuff in the past.

15. Mandouga

Mandouga Well-Known Member

I was interested, until I saw that Fox was involved, which means only one of three things: prime time, FX, or FXX. In other words, this pretty much confirms that this will likely be an in-name-only version meant for the older viewers. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if this was actually a parody of the original show...

On the other hand, Zoombie, if this were to have been an actual family show, I would have been willing to give it a try. No offense, but I'm not a fan of the whole "It won't work, because It won't appeal to 'today's' viewers" idea.

16. D-nice is the man.

The producer's name is Jimmy Fox. He has nothing to do with the Fox Entertainment Group, or any of it's subsidiaries unless otherwise noted.

17. Cartoon Ruler

Cartoon Ruler I Like Waffles

Great, another reboot nobody asked for...

18. Mandouga

Mandouga Well-Known Member

Whoops....

Sorry about that. I should have read the initial post more carefully.

Well, then. Let's hope it will be a family show, and won't be too different from the original show (that said, I'm still not a fan of the whole "It's won't work because it won't appeal to today's viewers idea").

19. Zorak Masaki

Zorak Masaki Active Member

I'm interested, but it wont be the same without Les Lye (who played all of the adult male characters, and was arguably the most talented cast member).

20. dumbfoolkid5

dumbfoolkid5 Active Member

If they bring it back, fine. But without that..man..it's next to impossible to revive this show. Unless they make new characters.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk